Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Beating Pittsburgh Matters
(07-23-2017, 07:08 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: For the Cincinnati Bengals to get into the playoffs consistently and win once they get there, one mental obstacle exists.  This mental obstacle has hung over the Bengals like the Sword of Damocles for decades.  The obstacle of which I write used to be horrible.  They used to be the laughingstock of the entire NFL.  They were the perennial basement dwellers, the worst of the worst, and any team could beat them into a ketchup-like puddle of goo.  Even the Cleveland Browns could pound them into the turf on any given Sunday.

I'm talking about the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Since the 1970s this hasn't been the case.  Pittsburgh has won more titles than anyone and since they are in the AFC North along with our beloved Bengals, it's time to talk about the Bengals' mental block about beating them.  Cincinnati fans share this.  Deep inside, we all know it's very seldom the Bengals beat the Steelers.  This has to change.  The black and yellow thugs are always in the Bengals' way and it's time to defeat this monster once and for all.  

The Cincinnati Bengals will not win a Super Bowl unless they look at the Steelers the way they look at the Browns:  An almost sure win.  I honestly think the Bengals play the Steelers scared even with the close call in the playoff game which the Bengals almost won.  The coaching staff either feeds off the players or doesn't prepare them well to face Pittsburgh and there's no reason for this.  I'm sick of it.  I'm sick of the excuses.  I'm sick of losing to those thugs.  I'm sick of their fans.  I hate their Terrible Towels.  

It's time for the Steelers to be scared.  Only the Cincinnati Bengals have the power to put them back where they were in the 1960s.  Last.

There is a lot of truth here, except the part about "an almost sure win".  There are hardly ever any of those in the NFL.  

I'm sick of their legion of turds that believe that because they root for pittsburgh that they are somehow not a turd.  I am extremely sick of the NFL and their ridiculous bias towards them.  I mean, that collection of holding vines could be used for an officiating training course.  14 of them?  Then they flag Whit for holding?  Sick.

The Bengals have to be able to do several things to be able to beat pittsburgh:

1.)  They need to avoid big plays.  No bombs to Martavias Bryant.  No crossing routes to Brown that go 80 yards because of a missed tackle.  They must earn every first down and every yard.  Our secondary has actually done a very good job of this.

2.) They need to hold Bell in check.  You aren't going to stop him, but he needs to be kept under 100 yards.  No allowing piggy to call plays from 2nd and 4 or 3rd and 1.  A healthy Burfict and an improved front four will be a huge difference here.

3.) Win the turnover battle.  It is always something stupid.  Boyd's knee supposedly not being down.  A tipped pass.  They simply can't have turnovers, and they need to do a better job generating them.  

4.) Attack them.  Don't wait until you are down 10 points to throw some haymakers.  The steelers secondary can and will be exploited.  

5.) Check downs.  Beat them at their own game.  When we have Ross, AJ, and Eifert burning downfield, have an outlet like Mixon, Boyd, or even Hewitt on a shallow crossing route that should have lots of space.  The steelers have made a living (and the pats for that matter) of these short passes that go for 10 yards after the reception that are high % and successful at moving the chains.  They also help to slow a pass rush. 

The good news is I believe their roster is now better constructed to defend the steelers and pats.  I'm anxious to see Minter, but I am optimistic that Vigil and Burfict will form a very strong nickel LB duo, and that the new pass rushing tools (Willis, Lawson, Billings, and maybe Hardison) are going to help Dunlap and Geno.  

I have no doubts that our offense is going to be head and shoulders better than last year, and they will be able to score 24 on anyone.  Will they be able to avoid pitt playing ball control and hold them to under 20 will be the key.  With all the things I have mentioned, along with the addition of guys like WJIII, a second year at starter for Williams, a contract year Burfict, Vigil in his second year, the new pass rushing talent, and the offenses ability to avoid 3 and outs will all help to contribute to a successful season against those assbags.  

I will add this:  If the Bengals do what I think they can do, I can't help but wonder if piggy doesn't see another title shot in his future and he retires to an old folks home where he can assault the nurses.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 11:35 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Beating Shitsburgh at any time means something,

But I must admit, the only way to truly get what happened in that playoff game out of my head is to hand them their ass in a conference championship game that sends us to The Dance.

It will happen.

As much as I would like this, I would rather beat the ever loving crap out of them during the season twice, and they are so beat up that they go on to finish something like 4-12.  Watch the legion of turds jump ship faster than piggy jumps a drunk coed.  
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 01:55 AM)kevin Wrote: FORREST GREGG.....I Think you can maybe go on Internet and find Forrest Gregg in 1980's talking about Pittsburg.  If you can't, that is a shame...Hall Of Fame Green Bay Packers Tackle and NFL Coach Of The Year At Cleveland Browns came to Cincinnati.....His first words were he always felt Bengals weren't tough enough.  Gadget plays, Trick plays, but when it came right down to it, NOT TOUGH ENOUGH....He started by having Bengals doing grass drills until they puked.  Gregg brought his years under VINCE LOMBARDI to the Bengals.....and he said he didn't want to hear one person crying how tough Pittsburg plays. He said Pittsburg plays the game the way it's suppose to be played. The way he played with Championship Packers in the 1960's. ......So Forrest Gregg made it clear that The Pittsburg Steelers were the Super Bowl Team and to win this Division, in order to BE THE BEST, YOU HAVE TO BEAT THE BEST, and THAT MEANS BEING THE BEST......Forrest Gregg said most games are won in the 4th quarter and you see it every week in the NFL, the late second wins...Gregg said the TEAM IN THE BEST PHYSICAL CONDITION AND NOT AS TIRED AT THE END OFTEN WINS THE 4th QUARTER.  ...So Gregg set out to have the Roughest, Toughest Summer Camp in The NFL, and all Season the Hardest Practices. ...So that come Steelers Games, THE BENGALS WERE READY. ......Now you can look at Forrest Greggs record against Steelers and it is the best of any coach Bengals ever had.

So, The Pittsburg Game BEGINS when Summer Vamp opens any day now, per Forrest Gregg who said, IF YOU WANT TO BE THE BEST, YOU HAVE TO BEAT THE BEST, AND THAT STARTS THE FIRST DAY OF CAMP.......How HARD these guys work in Camp will show in the 4th Quarter of The Steelers Games. ....but as Gregg said, Let's no cry and moan because Steelers play tough. Steelers play the game the way it should be played. Our Bengals just have to get Tough Enough to beat them.  THAT STARTS THE FIRST DAY OF SUMMER CAMP COMING UP.....Forrest Gregg believed in the 4th quarter one team is bent over tired and the team that isn't, the team in the best shape from hard practices is the team THAT WINS. ...He believed that, and I believe that because Gregg believed that.  ...To Beat Pittsburg, it Begins The First Day of Summer Camp.  If the Bengals have a lazy Holiday Camp just reading the Play Book, They will get swept by The Steelers, and some Bengal Coaches such as Wyche have had Play Book Camps....However if the Bengals push themselves in Summer Camp and put in the sweat and toil and hard work, Steelers are in for trouble when they play us.

This is spectacular and dead on accurate.  I don't want a ton of camp injuries, but I want them breathing fire when they play them.  Toughness is something that is earned.  You do start it in your practices.  Conditioning, except for Adam Jones and Burfict early last year....and Maualuga every year now that I think about it, is generally very good under Marvin, but it needs to be such a point of emphasis.  There needs to be games where they line up with two TEs and just pound the ever loving crap out of their opponent.  

The offensive line has reportedly answered the strength call, now they have to have the mindset of just mauling guys and pounding them in to submission.  

It has also often been said that the best friend of a defense is a strong running game that can win time of possession and then have your defense swarming when they come in.  That, plus it would protect Andy from pass rushers teeing off on him in obvious pass-rushing situations.  
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 09:12 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I couldn't agree more Fan ! In many ways the Pittsburgh monkey on our back is as big as the playoff monkey. In some ways maybe bigger !

We're 2-14 at home against the Steelers under Marvin Lewis including playoff losses. That has to stop

That has to be a firing. That's worse than pathetic.
Reply/Quote
Meanwhile back in conspiracy-theoryland there are no laws on the books that prevent the league from fixing games and giving fans of teams such as the Bengals the shaft. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 07:08 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: For the Cincinnati Bengals to get into the playoffs consistently and win once they get there, one mental obstacle exists.  This mental obstacle has hung over the Bengals like the Sword of Damocles for decades.  The obstacle of which I write used to be horrible.  They used to be the laughingstock of the entire NFL.  They were the perennial basement dwellers, the worst of the worst, and any team could beat them into a ketchup-like puddle of goo.  Even the Cleveland Browns could pound them into the turf on any given Sunday.

Since the 1970s this hasn't been the case.  Pittsburgh has won more titles than anyone and since they are in the AFC North along with our beloved Bengals, it's time to talk about the Bengals' mental block about beating them.  Cincinnati fans share this.  Deep inside, we all know it's very seldom the Bengals beat the Steelers.  This has to change.  The black and yellow thugs are always in the Bengals' way and it's time to defeat this monster once and for all.  

The Cincinnati Bengals will not win a Super Bowl unless they look at the Steelers the way they look at the Browns:  An almost sure win.  I honestly think the Bengals play the Steelers scared even with the close call in the playoff game which the Bengals almost won.  The coaching staff either feeds off the players or doesn't prepare them well to face Pittsburgh and there's no reason for this.  I'm sick of it.  I'm sick of the excuses.  I'm sick of losing to those thugs.  I'm sick of their fans.  I hate their Terrible Towels.  

It's time for the Steelers to be scared.  Only the Cincinnati Bengals have the power to put them back where they were in the 1960s.  Last.
I don't like the Steelers and their fan base is a bunch of arrogant trolls, but I respect their ownership and their front office. The Steelers will never be the Browns, they will never be an easy win for any NFL team. But, just like other divisions like the NFC East with the Giants and Cowboys, we can still be successful by holding our own against the Steelers every year, Just my humble opinion.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 08:24 AM)grampahol Wrote: Meanwhile back in conspiracy-theoryland there are no laws on the books that prevent the league from fixing games and giving fans of teams such as the Bengals the shaft. 

I bet there is.

Reply/Quote
All anyone really need do to see that playing well enough to beat Pittsburgh is never going to be enough is watch tapes of the games. The Vinelink Lance McCallister put up of their Oline tackling our D-Line and taking them to the ground with no flags over and over again is proof that for the Bengals to beat Shitsburgh on a regular basis, they have to outplay them so badly that the refs cannot make up the difference. Until their is a new commissioner who is not a personal friend of the Roonies, the refs are going to give the Stealers all the calls. Sure, they flag them now and again when it doesn't matter, to make it "seem" like they are calling it down the line, but when a play matters, you can bet big money it's going Shitsburghs way.....
http://espn1530.iheart.com/onair/lance-mcalister-7818/watch-remember-how-many-times-steelers-15117710/
Reply/Quote
Look, part of me gets it, but Many of our fans are far too focused on Pittsburgh. That team has taken over many, too many, good bengals fans minds. And don't get me wrong, contrary to what their fans want you to think, they care about us too, but nowhere near the way some of our great fans obsess about them.

Do I want to beat the crap out of them twice (sometimes three) times a year? Yep. Do I want them to lose every week? Of course I do. But in all honesty, that goes for every other AFC team every single week.

What the bengals need to do is win 10-12 games per year and It doesn't matter which teams they beat to get the numbers, just get them. Then, if and when they get in the playoffs, they need to learn how to win in the postseason, plain and simple.

I'm so tired of the Pittsburgh obsession some of our fanbase possesses. It's embarrassing.

Reply/Quote
If you are totally honest with yourself, you realize that yes, the Steelers do get A LOT of beneficial calls or no-calls but they also are just straight-up a better football team. The Bengals aren't far behind in terms of talent, and in some places the Bengals are better than the Steelers. The problem is, the Steelers are better than the Bengals in the major areas and that is ownership, coaching and QB.
Reply/Quote

Marv is the reason for this.

He is the one that treats them different than any other team cause he is a Steeler fan. The players feed off of their coach.

Love watching Burfict play the Steelers though, he hates them almost as much as me lol
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 12:42 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: If you are totally honest with yourself, you realize that yes, the Steelers do get A LOT of beneficial calls or no-calls but they also are just straight-up a better football team. The Bengals aren't far behind in terms of talent, and in some places the Bengals are better than the Steelers. The problem is, the Steelers are better than the Bengals in the major areas and that is ownership, coaching and QB.

They can also hold all day frickin' long. Whatever
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 09:01 AM)Sled21 Wrote: All anyone really need do to see that playing well enough to beat Pittsburgh is never going to be enough is watch tapes of the games. The Vinelink Lance McCallister put up of their Oline tackling our D-Line and taking them to the ground with no flags over and over again is proof that for the Bengals to beat Shitsburgh on a regular basis, they have to outplay them so badly that the refs cannot make up the difference. Until their is a new commissioner who is not a personal friend of the Roonies, the refs are going to give the Stealers all the calls. Sure, they flag them now and again when it doesn't matter, to make it "seem" like they are calling it down the line, but when a play matters, you can bet big money it's going Shitsburghs way.....
http://espn1530.iheart.com/onair/lance-mcalister-7818/watch-remember-how-many-times-steelers-15117710/

So true.

(07-24-2017, 10:03 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: Look, part of me gets it, but Many of our fans are far too focused on Pittsburgh. That team has taken over many, too many, good bengals fans minds. And don't get me wrong, contrary to what their fans want you to think, they care about us too, but nowhere near the way some of our great fans obsess about them.

Do I want to beat the crap out of them twice (sometimes three) times a year? Yep. Do I want them to lose every week? Of course I do. But in all honesty, that goes for every other AFC team every single week.

What the bengals need to do is win 10-12 games per year and It doesn't matter which teams they beat to get the numbers, just get them. Then, if and when they get in the playoffs, they need to learn how to win in the postseason, plain and simple.

I'm so tired of the Pittsburgh obsession some of our fanbase possesses. It's embarrassing.

I would be more embarrassed if i was a fan of a team that always has to cheat to win.

Atleast the Patriots win on their own merit most of the time.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 01:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would be more embarrassed if i was a fan of a team that always has to cheat to win.

Lol! fair enough

Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 01:41 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Lol! fair enough

Seriously, it is without fail.

It is completely predictable.

They just cannot cheat against the Patriots and we see what happens when they can't cheat...

They lose.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 08:14 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: We can agree to disagree P!  Pittsburgh will continue to own this team until MB is gone, and even then, it depends on Katie or whoever takes over.

Players just gotta take over on the field..

what I don't get is

Steeler players knocking people out all over the league no issue..

someone knocks a steelers player out and now they are suspended...    
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 09:01 AM)Sled21 Wrote: All anyone really need do to see that playing well enough to beat Pittsburgh is never going to be enough is watch tapes of the games. The Vinelink Lance McCallister put up of their Oline tackling our D-Line and taking them to the ground with no flags over and over again is proof that for the Bengals to beat Shitsburgh on a regular basis, they have to outplay them so badly that the refs cannot make up the difference. Until their is a new commissioner who is not a personal friend of the Roonies, the refs are going to give the Stealers all the calls. Sure, they flag them now and again when it doesn't matter, to make it "seem" like they are calling it down the line, but when a play matters, you can bet big money it's going Shitsburghs way.....

Pathetic beyond words !!!
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 02:53 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: It may not be bias, but there is an avalanche of horrid calls when it comes to the Steelers.

Just go back to last year's game and watch it.  Tell me how many times the Steelers O-line got called for holding.  Now tell me how many times there was obvious holding.

It may not be bias, but there is definitely always a ton of shitty calls that tend to go against Cincy.

It doesn't even have to be bias. It's human nature (re: refs). A team that's known for winning and making plays to win important games, gets the benefit of the doubt on all close calls. When there's no indisputable evidence to overturn a call...whamo, perceived bias. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 07:04 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: New Orleans isn't a big city, but I think their Super Bowl win had some huge financial windfalls because they have wanted it for so long.  

Yeah, but the Saints stopped being the Ain'ts by getting a new owner who cared about winning and then spending years trying out different GMs and QBs until they were fortunate enough to have a HOF-caliber QB fall into their laps because the Chargers let him become a FA because he had a bad shoulder.  Similar with the Patriots.  New owner, new coaches, new GM, found a good QB in Bledsoe and developed the GOAT behind him.

They took an active hand in changing things around.  They didn't' just win because the NFL decided it had given enough trophies to the Steelers and 49ers and showered some fortune upon them.  Lordy, both teams turned it around by making the most out of the players and personnel other teams threw in away.

(07-24-2017, 07:24 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: As much as I would like this, I would rather beat the ever loving crap out of them during the season twice, and they are so beat up that they go on to finish something like 4-12.  Watch the legion of turds jump ship faster than piggy jumps a drunk coed.  

That would be pretty sweet.  I'll you how eye-rollingly hard it was to deal with Steelers and the few Packers fans I know last year.  Halfway through the season both teams are slumping and the fanbases were saying how much they "Didn't care" about this.  Then they both make the playoffs and everyone is back on the "I never doubted them" train.  Figures.

(07-24-2017, 08:24 AM)grampahol Wrote: Meanwhile back in conspiracy-theoryland there are no laws on the books that prevent the league from fixing games and giving fans of teams such as the Bengals the shaft. 

There is also no law that says the NFL has to step in and force Mike Brown to hire a competent GM after 26 years of drought, either.  I'm not saying the Bengals aren't getting the screwjob from the NFL here, but we sure do make it easy on them to keep us down by being afraid to fire a HC who is 2-14 against the Steelers at home.  Or is keeping Marvin and Paul Alexander, and no GM for decades at a time part of the NFL's evil plan?

Is Mike Brown in on this, or is the NFL blackmailing him into sticking with a formula that clearly caps our success?  Intriguing.
Reply/Quote
I'll weigh in on this, and I'll reflect to the same words that I've used so many times before. Winning is an attitude, it starts at the top, with the owner, and resonates throughout the organization. Until the front office gets hell-bent on winning a championship, the rest of the organization will continue to just do what is asked of them.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote