Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why Bengals Why? Taylor Mays Is Back
(03-17-2016, 10:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No that is not it.

the Bengals don't mind spending money for players.  Last year they spent over the NFL cap and spent more than six other playoff teams.

What is sad is that so many fans are unaware of this and just believe all the myths about how the Bengals are so cheap.

But the Bengals also had the most cap room of any playoff team this year
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 02:42 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: But the Bengals also had the most cap room of any playoff team this year

I just don't understand what the bengals are hoarding salary cap space for.

Extending dre Kirk would reduce this years hit. Same as zeitler.

Heck, burficts suspension and lost wage should cover most of the draft class' wage.

Eifert has a cheap 5 the year option next year, then at worst franchise tag in 2018 (which will be below his actual per year salary).

The salary cap has gone up $30 million in last 3 years, and many teams are leveraging this to extend their own while adding pieces in free agency.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 05:30 PM)jj22 Wrote: What's so hard for me to understand why the Bengals would be so quick to move on from a probowl player? At a position it took nearly all of Marvin's tenure to properly fill? And are prepared to replace a center fielder, coverage free safety, with a in the box strong safety with limited coverage/range? When we've always needed 3 staring quality safety's for this scheme....

I'm not sure I understand where the confusion is....

Because he is not replacing Nelson...Is that simple enough?  He is or maybe, if he makes the team, a LB/S coverage guy...He would play nickel and dime packages supporting the run and covering the TE...Nothing to do with Nelson's position on the team...If they signed him and said he was going to be our starting FS next year then yeah that is a problem but that is not the case

They have moved on because Nelson is looking for on last big payday.....He still may come back..I am sure they have talked..FA is still going on in case you did not know and Nelson is still a FA...
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 08:00 PM)Stormborn Wrote: I don't want bad football players.

He's a bad football player. He always was ever since he was drafted. 

I don't care at all if he's only being paid $.02, he doesn't belong on a roster or a chance at this one.

Disagree.  He's not a bad special teams player.  If Shawn Williams is starting on the other side of Iloka this year, I'd prefer to not see him on punt coverage and kick coverage.  Mays is fast as hell and made plays on special teams when he was here.  I don't care to see him starting but to say he's a bad football player isn't true.  He is a good special teams guy.
Reply/Quote
I will be interested to see whether he is officially labeled as a safety or OLB on the roster. I think that he's a bad safety and hopefully the Bengals never have to use him as such. His best fit is nickel LB, but I'd also like to see the Bengals draft a nickel LB with more potential and who isn't stiff as a board. Ideally, Mays would only be seen on PR and KR coverage.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 08:21 AM)Bengalfan11164 Wrote: I just don't understand what the bengals are hoarding salary cap space for.

They are not "hoarding" it.  they actually spent over the NFL league cap last year.  I am sure they will spend close to that again.  We have done a good job of signing players to extensions before they become free agents so they will probably try to do that also this year. The Bengals claim that they only had $15 million to spend was not correct, but the claim that they can blow $37 million is also false.  There is a link floating around to a very good article that shows that the Bengals realistically had about $27 million in cap space to spend. 

Lets wait until all the extensions are done and all free agwenst are signed before we accuse them of being cheap.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 10:10 AM)fredtoast Wrote: They are not "hoarding" it.  they actually spent over the NFL league cap last year.  I am sure they will spend close to that again.  We have done a good job of signing players to extensions before they become free agents so they will probably try to do that also this year. The Bengals claim that they only had $15 million to spend was not correct, but the claim that they can blow $37 million is also false.  There is a link floating around to a very good article that shows that the Bengals realistically had about $27 million in cap space to spend. 

Lets wait until all the extensions are done and all free agwenst are signed before we accuse them of being cheap.

To support Fred's statement, here are some notable FAs next year:
Tyler Eifert
Kevin Zeitler
Gio Bernard
Dre Kirkpatrick
Shawn Williams
Andrew Whitworth

The Bengals will absolutely need to reserve a good chunk of change to keep a few of these upcoming 2017 FAs.

http://overthecap.com/free-agency/cincinnati-bengals/
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 05:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Let me jog some memories... Bengals didnt want Mays to leave they offered him a contract the year he left in free agency.

He got a slightly better deal somewhere else

Now we are getting him back.

to me letting someone walk is not even offering a contract

A Player choosing to sign elsewhere is different. you cant hold them down and force them to sign (without a tag)  but for depth players Tags arent used.

If they thought so highly of him, why didn't they match the offer? Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 10:39 AM)Wyche Wrote: If they thought so highly of him, why didn't they match the offer? Mellow

Just because Marvin Jones signed with another team that does not mean the Bengals did not think he was any good.

I wonder how many people crying about signing Mays also say Mike Zimmer (the guy who signed Mays away from the Bengals) should be our head coach right now?
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 05:55 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Without T Mays we dont beat peyton on MNF 2 years ago.

I dont see him starting but its a great insurrance signing.  Sometimes i think im one of the only people that actually think about things instead of just reacting.

Hes filled in at saftey for us in the past.  
He can play coverage linebacker or MonsterBacker whatever we called it. (s/Lb hybrid)

Hes a Special Team gunner.  (lost dennard in that role as he moves up the CB totem poll.)

Hes suspended for the first 4 games so he doesnt hurt our roster count till week 5.

at that point the bengals have to cut someone it could very will be him if everyone is healthy but the coaches know what they have in T Mays and he has played in the system.

If someone gets hurt early then we already have a guy ready to come in week 5.

we arent talking about blockbuster contracts here that we couldnt walk away from.

[url=[Image: image_3.jpeg]]

so he is the reason we beat Denver  LMAO
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 11:10 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Just because Marvin Jones signed with another team that does not mean the Bengals did not think he was any good.

I wonder how many people crying about signing Mays also say Mike Zimmer (the guy who signed Mays away from the Bengals) should be our head coach right now?

Mellow The Bengals offered a very similar (if not the same) offer to Marvin Jones, Jones left to become a #1 WR.  Try again.  Zim let him walk, no?  Zim inherited a pretty bad team, roster fillers that know your system make sense in his case, not here, where we're trying to win a Super Bowl, have lots of players who know our system, and have at least one player on our team that has not been signed that is MUCH better than this guy.  Facts, they're what's for dinner.....

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 11:40 AM)Wyche Wrote:   Zim inherited a pretty bad team, roster fillers that know your system make sense in his case, not here,

Facts, they're what's for dinner.....

So Zimmer thought the best way to improve his team was to sign bad players instead of good players?

I don't think you know the real definition of "facts".
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 11:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So Zimmer thought the best way to improve his team was to sign bad players instead of good players?

I don't think you know the real definition of "facts".

Yeah, cause roster filler = "good player".... Hilarious

You're not very good at reading are you?

Reply/Quote
let's see now he was picked up by Vikings, raiders and some other team can't recall which one in 2015. now we all know zim is a hell defense coach. why did zim cut him in amonth? we let lamur go and zim picks up lamur,but not mays. what am I missing. why would zim not want mays? Mellow
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 12:02 PM)Se ky bengal Wrote: let's see now he was picked up by Vikings, raiders and some other team can't recall which one in 2015. now we all know zim is a hell defense coach. why did zim cut him in amonth? we let lamur go and zim picks up lamur,but not mays. what am I missing. why would zim not want mays?  Mellow

Right.....when you need guys around who know your system, and can help relay terminology, reads, etc, it makes sense to pick up a guy like Mays to help ease the transition.....I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about that.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 09:11 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Disagree.  He's not a bad special teams player.  If Shawn Williams is starting on the other side of Iloka this year, I'd prefer to not see him on punt coverage and kick coverage.  Mays is fast as hell and made plays on special teams when he was here.  I don't care to see him starting but to say he's a bad football player isn't true.  He is a good special teams guy.

Is there any reason we're signing a literal one dimension player, who won't be able to play until early October, who is a known screw up in this league, in the middle of march?

Saying he is a "good special teams guy" is the only possible positive stretch anyone could possibly make for justification, and even still, why?
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 12:02 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, cause roster filler = "good player".... Hilarious

You're not very good at reading are you?

You are the one who said Mays was "roster filler".  So you were the one who said he was a bad player.

Then I said Zim would sign good players INSTEAD OF "roster filler".

So what did I fail to read and understand?  Seems like you are the one who is having problems.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 04:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hell yeah!!

I get to watch people piss and moan about taylor Mays again. Time to update the sig.

Your boy is back !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Who knew Taylor Mays was the key to winning the Super Bowl! Maybe he'll bring his ninja turtle backpack to training camp again. Uggggghh! Why?....just Why? You know some players on the team were like, Seriously?! This guy again?!, when they saw he was back on the team. Mike Brown, you never cease to amaze.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 04:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Depends on who you ask and what your qualifier of "pretty good" is. I send him make some plays that were absolutely amazing, then i'd watch him tackle the goal post. I think the reason he keeps getting chances is because he is an athletic freak of nature. The dude ran a 4.24 forty at the combine at 230 pounds, had a 61 inch verticle, a sub 7 second 3-cone drill, a 10.5 broad, and put up 24 reps with 24" arms.

You keep giving athletic ability like that chances hoping the light will flash on. He's up to about 240 now, hell teach him how to run and catch. I've enjoy watching him play almost as I've enjoyed folks complaining about him throughout the years

61 inch vertical? My, I would love to see that.

Also, he had 5 interceptions and 9 pass deflections his entire college career. But Hey, he runs fast, jumps high and is athletic. 

Lets take a guess on how many he's had in the pros...

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote