Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why Bengals Why? Taylor Mays Is Back
(03-17-2016, 04:52 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: My eyeballs told me that this was true but the stats aren't really there. Anyhow the guy is a backup. If someone is better than him then he won't make the roster. The epic overreactions on this board...YIKES

Epic overreaction is about right. It's not AS IF they cut Burfict to replace him with Mays, but looking at a few posts here you might think that they just signed him to a multi trillion dollar contract and plan to make him the starting QB for the next 10 years.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 08:21 AM)Bengalfan11164 Wrote: I just don't understand what the bengals are hoarding salary cap space for.

Extending dre Kirk would reduce this years hit.  Same as zeitler.

Heck, burficts suspension and lost wage should cover most of the draft class' wage.

Eifert has a cheap 5 the year option next year, then at worst franchise tag in 2018 (which will be below his actual per year salary).

The salary cap has gone up $30 million in last 3 years, and many teams are leveraging this to extend their own while adding pieces in free agency.

That all depends on the structure of the contract.

If we give them big signing bonuses, they would be prorated over the life of the contract, causing big cap hits down the road.

If we instead put some or all of that money into a 2016 roster bonus, they will eat up this years cap and have no future impact.

That was actually something people forget about Carson's big extension in 2005.  Both sides wanted it structured so that the bonus money would not impact the ability to do deals with the players around him.

This is a very long thread for a rumored potential signing from one guy on twitter...
Reply/Quote
Well, if we do end up signing him, could it be for his special teams play?"

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/03/18/cincinnati-bengals-seek-improvement-special-teams/81981834/

(The article makes it sound like Alford can't field a punt, by the way)
Reply/Quote
Better the scrub you know
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote