Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why Bengals Why? Taylor Mays Is Back
If someone gets hurt at Coverage LB or safety it would be a nice signing other than that I don't expect him to make the team. Not sure why the freak out of this signing it should not really have an effect on the team.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I don't know. I'm pretty sure this is a camp body type of signing. At least I hope so. Kick his tires in training camp. WTF? I'm with those (including Adam Jones) who want Reggie back.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't see the big deal. I thought he was a pretty good special teams player. He also played pretty good against Denver in the Monday night game 2 years ago.

I wouldn't moan and groan about it until we see the final roster.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 07:40 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I don't see the big deal.  I thought he was a pretty good special teams player.  He also played pretty good against Denver in the Monday night game 2 years ago.

I wouldn't moan and groan about it until we see the final roster.

I don't want bad football players.

He's a bad football player. He always was ever since he was drafted. 

I don't care at all if he's only being paid $.02, he doesn't belong on a roster or a chance at this one.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 05:55 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Without T Mays we dont beat peyton on MNF 2 years ago.

I dont see him starting but its a great insurrance signing.  Sometimes i think im one of the only people that actually think about things instead of just reacting.

Hes filled in at saftey for us in the past.  
He can play coverage linebacker or MonsterBacker whatever we called it. (s/Lb hybrid)

Hes a Special Team gunner.  (lost dennard in that role as he moves up the CB totem poll.)

Hes suspended for the first 4 games so he doesnt hurt our roster count till week 5.

at that point the bengals have to cut someone it could very will be him if everyone is healthy but the coaches know what they have in T Mays and he has played in the system.

If someone gets hurt early then we already have a guy ready to come in week 5.

we arent talking about blockbuster contracts here that we couldnt walk away from.

Without Mays we don't beat Denver? Hard to believe he's been cut so much since then. We've seen how he looks in the system and it's nothing special. The guy only offers up ST play and it seems like we should be able to insert a rookie into that role since we do that every year. 

Feel free to climb down from your high horse. Everyone thinks about these signings. Everyone reacts to signings. You just happen to praise every signing. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
He hasn't made the team yet, so take it easy. But I would say, I wish I could have seen that 61 inch vertical someone referred to.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 08:03 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Without Mays we don't beat Denver? Hard to believe he's been cut so much since then. We've seen how he looks in the system and it's nothing special. The guy only offers up ST play and it seems like we should be able to insert a rookie into that role since we do that every year. 

Feel free to climb down from your high horse. Everyone thinks about these signings. Everyone reacts to signings. You just happen to praise every signing. 

[Image: srcstc.gif]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
[Image: giphy.gif]

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
Signing this nimrod when there are actual linebackers out there to be signed is just dumb....
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 04:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Depends on who you ask and what your qualifier of "pretty good" is. I send him make some plays that were absolutely amazing, then i'd watch him tackle the goal post. I think the reason he keeps getting chances is because he is an athletic freak of nature. The dude ran a 4.24 forty at the combine at 230 pounds, had a 61 inch verticle, a sub 7 second 3-cone drill, a 10.5 broad, and put up 24 reps with 24" arms.

You keep giving athletic ability like that chances hoping the light will flash on. He's up to about 240 now, hell teach him how to run and catch. I've enjoy watching him play almost as I've enjoyed folks complaining about him throughout the years
If he can hold on to the ball better than Hill, make him a running back.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 06:20 PM)Beaker Wrote: I am a little troubled by this. It seems to me like the Bengals success came when they began shying away from signing players with character question marks. We eventually had one of the best character locker rooms in the entire NFL. But lately they seem to be reverting to their old philosophy of talent/potential trumps character.

Adam Jones
Vontaze Burfict
now Taylor Mays

I dont believe I like it.

Vontaze Burfict has no character question marks off the field.  And on the field, he is just an old school football player.  Pacman has settled down and now appears to be a good father, a good husband  and a good member of the community.  They are both highly skilled and very passionate professional football players.

Taylor Mays violated the substance abuse policy, a common occurrence in the NFL, especially in Pittsburgh.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 06:20 PM)Beaker Wrote: I am a little troubled by this. It seems to me like the Bengals success came when they began shying away from signing players with character question marks. We eventually had one of the best character locker rooms in the entire NFL. But lately they seem to be reverting to their old philosophy of talent/potential trumps character.

Adam Jones
Vontaze Burfict
now Taylor Mays

I dont believe I like it.

I don't understand the connection between Adam Jones and Vontaze Burfict to Taylor Mays.

Mays has already shown us that he lacks the mental aptitude to understand the defense. He also has only one game where he made enough of a "good" difference to win a game.

Burfict and Jones have both shown they can run this defense in their sleep and each of them has made a big difference in numerous games.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 04:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Depends on who you ask and what your qualifier of "pretty good" is. I send him make some plays that were absolutely amazing, then i'd watch him tackle the goal post. I think the reason he keeps getting chances is because he is an athletic freak of nature. The dude ran a 4.24 forty at the combine at 230 pounds, had a 61 inch verticle, a sub 7 second 3-cone drill, a 10.5 broad, and put up 24 reps with 24" arms.

You keep giving athletic ability like that chances hoping the light will flash on. He's up to about 240 now, hell teach him how to run and catch. I've enjoy watching him play almost as I've enjoyed folks complaining about him throughout the years
Hmm,  Roach had a 6.80 sec 3 Cone and 25 reps bench, 10.5 broad jump and 35.5 verticle.  He did run a 4.80 forty, but had a 1.55 sec 10 yard split at 240 LB's.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 05:18 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: every year its the same people freak out over depth signings like they arent important but they are...

plus bengals dont like to enter the draft with too many glaring holes as it makes them easy to predict and we have less draft picks this year than we have had in a while

The bengals lost/let go their wr2 and wr3.

There are some glaring holes. Yes, they can be filled with developmental players.

But, it would be nice if the bengals would be willing to forego a 5th round 2017 compensatory pick to get a quality 2016 experienced player to fill a hole and REALLY open up the draft.

But perhaps, the bengals don't feel that they have enough money with $25+ million left in salary cap space. Sad.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 06:47 PM)J24 Wrote: If someone gets hurt at Coverage LB or safety it would be a nice signing other than that I don't expect him to make the team. Not sure why the freak out of this signing it should not really have an effect on the team.

Believe it or not, the bengals have more "coverage" lbs than some think.

Burfict/Dawson/flowers
Maualuga/vinnie Rey
hawk/Taylor mays

I guess the bengals don't have to draft a lb now.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 10:41 PM)Bengalfan11164 Wrote: The bengals lost/let go their wr2 and wr3.

There are some glaring holes. Yes, they can be filled with developmental players.

But, it would be nice if the bengals would be willing to forego a 5th round 2017 compensatory pick to get a quality 2016 experienced player to fill a hole and REALLY open up the draft.

But perhaps, the bengals don't feel that they have enough money with $25+ million left in salary cap space.  Sad.

Jones and Sanu were 2nd and 5th in yards for our team last year, and Jones would have been 3rd if Eifert would have stayed on the field. We can still pick up a FA WR, or draft an early WR. The receiving corps isn't as bad off as people make it out to be right now.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 10:41 PM)Bengalfan11164 Wrote: But perhaps, the bengals don't feel that they have enough money with $25+ million left in salary cap space.  Sad.

No that is not it.

the Bengals don't mind spending money for players.  Last year they spent over the NFL cap and spent more than six other playoff teams.

What is sad is that so many fans are unaware of this and just believe all the myths about how the Bengals are so cheap.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 04:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hell yeah!!

I get to watch people piss and moan about taylor Mays again. Time to update the sig.

[Image: taylor-mays.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 10:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No that is not it.

the Bengals don't mind spending money for players.  Last year they spent over the NFL cap and spent more than six other playoff teams.

What is sad is that so many fans are unaware of this and just believe all the myths about how the Bengals are so cheap.

Who cares how much they spent?

The question is did the unspent $7.5 million last year hurt or help them?

The question this year is if the unspent $25 million hurt or help them.

We now know that last year was the end of the era with Marvin jones and no sanu. Most likely,bit is the end of the era with Reggie Nelson.

So, the question in 2017 will be, did the bengals do enough when envisioning the end of the era of whitworth, peko, dre Kirk?, etc.

As much as some want to deny it, each year with perpetually unused cap space is a lost opportunity.

This "pauper" mentality with top 10 in cap space and a lack of "young core" players to extend is almost indefensible (for the sane).
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 10:51 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Jones and Sanu were 2nd and 5th in yards for our team last year, and Jones would have been 3rd if Eifert would have stayed on the field. We can still pick up a FA WR, or draft an early WR. The receiving corps isn't as bad off as people make it out to be right now.

Slice it anyway you want, the 2016 wrs aren't going to be as good as the 2015.

Can the bengals get by? Of course! We did with practice squadder Binns one year.

But this concept of the compensatory gold mine is mind blowing.

Baltimore plays the comp pick game AND signs Steve Smith and Mike Wallace.

The bengals played the compensatory game last year and "netted" 0 picks and aj hawk.
Reply/Quote