Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why Do You Like This Draft!
Tiger

I don't like this draft and I know I'm not alone. So please tell us how this will win the division when everyone in it got better except the Bengals. This was supposed to be a backfill draft of quality depth players but we got ....Nothing of the sort. Yes, we addressed the safety position but at what cost. No tightend No wideout 1 offensive lineman but who are your backups! The other teams in the division got better but we didn't! Stop talking yourself into it. Quinton Spain will be signed at some point but he costs a SB.
It should damn well hurt!
https://youtu.be/x6TF-8fyxhw
Reply/Quote
:facepalm:

In what world does CTB competing with Apple for CB2 or even being 1st off the bench = “not improved at all?”

Why do people have to go into full on hysterics just because they didn’t get the players they wanted?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 11:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Facepalm

In what world does CTB competing with Apple for CB2 or even being 1st off the bench = “not improved at all?”

Why do people have to go into full on hysterics just because they didn’t get the players they wanted?

Tiger
Its not about going hysterical about the players that we didnt want but more about the selections that aren't making the team better. This draft didn't make this team better going into next season. The first two picks aren't starters on this team. The third guy isnt as well nor the forth or the fifth. I get that this team doesn't have many holes but who are the backups barring injury along the offensive line, WR, TE, linebacker. Hell you could even argue RB
Reply/Quote
Can't please everyone.
Our O will be much improved from last year, thanks to FA.

Our D got better and we are in a better position to absorb FA losses that might happen next year.

Next year we will likely have the opposite type of draft that we had this year, This year was pump defense, next year will be pump Offense. Good thing the peeps in charge understand this and are looking one year ahead.
Reply/Quote
who were these players that would've made the draft for you?
Reply/Quote
I think this is a good post. I'm not a fan of the draft for the most part myself. I also think it's not about being hysterical just more about discussing the positives and negatives of the draft. People want to act like the front office can't make mistakes. This is probably the most disappointed I've been in a draft that I can remember.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 11:57 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger
Its not about going hysterical about the players that we didnt want but more about the selections that aren't making the team better. This draft didn't make this team better going into next season. The first two picks aren't starters on this team. The third guy isnt as well nor the forth or the fifth. I get that this team doesn't have many holes but who are the backups barring injury along the offensive line, WR, TE, linebacker. Hell you could even argue RB

I’ll play that game. Based on availability who would you have taken first, second, or third and started? We don’t draft Hill. Who replaces Bates or Bell if they go down? Who replaces Hilton? You see Hill is the immediate backup for all 3. He’s going to play a lot in 3 safety packages. So at 31 and 60 who do you draft that starts? You are right we don’t have a backup at WR or TE but it’s just robbing Peter to pay Paul if we’d have drafted a TE or WR early. Then no DT backup. See what I mean?
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:08 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I think this is a good post. I'm not a fan of the draft for the most part myself. I also think it's not about being hysterical just more about discussing the positives and negatives of the draft. People want to act like the front office can't make mistakes. This is probably the most disappointed I've been in a draft that I can remember.

Saying the team didn’t get any better over the last 3 days is absolutely going into hysterics. It’s literally ridiculous to suggest. The OP asks where the backups and depth are in one sentence, and then talks about not getting starters in another. He’s all over the place.

And no one is suggesting the FO doesn’t make mistakes. But to act like all 6 picks were bad, or that none of them will help the team THIS YEAR, is just downright silly.

Reply/Quote
I feel very, very good about the draft. Drafting near the end of the rounds, the Bengals managed to get highly talented players at the positions of most need (S, CB, DT). Not only that, but the players are remarkably versatile and also high character players. I was surprised how well they did.

Yes, the Ravens had numerous picks, including two-first round picks, and much better draft position. But, after giving up their only real WR, they failed to pick one up in the draft. And with so many picks to pay, including two, high, first-round picks, they are going to be challenged financially to be able to afford a quality free-agent wide receiver. I guess they will just run, throw to their tight ends, punt, and play defense. Odd strategy, given that the Bengals showed last year the importance of wide receivers.

yes, other teams in the division improved more. What do you expect, given where the Bengals were drafting BECAUSE THEY WERE IN THE SUPER BOWL! But the Bengals did fantastic with their draft position. I feel a 1000x better now about this year, given that they addressed the most serious issues with quality, versatile, smart players, and ones of such good character (team captains, etc.) that they will help create a terrific, Super Bowl attitude.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 11:35 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I don't like this draft and I know I'm not alone. So please tell us how this will win the division when everyone in it got better except the Bengals. This was supposed to be a backfill draft of quality depth players but we got ....Nothing of the sort. Yes, we addressed the safety position but at what cost. No tightend No wideout 1 offensive lineman but who are your backups! The other teams in the division got better but we didn't! Stop talking yourself into it. Quinton Spain will be signed at some point but he costs a SB.

The same way we won the division last year after a bunch of posters were overly pessimistic after the draft.  
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2022, 11:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Facepalm

I'm kind of upset that we didn't trade up for Linderbaum or Jurgens, but, other than that, I was happy with the draft, even though we didn't necessarily get many big names or make flashy picks.

Hill can play anywhere and is just a playmaker, which is something you need in today's NFL, especially since our secondary was so weak.

CTB is lightning fast and can play just about anywhere in the secondary. He's a hell of an athlete and a playmaker. 

Carter I think was a hell of a pick that could have gone a lot earlier most years but just got lost in the shuffle since there was so much talent there at the top of the draft. As a rotational guy to start, I think he'll cause some damage.

I am torn on Volson just because I thought we could have gone a different direction, but Pollack wants glass eaters and this dude's one, so I'll trust the pick, even though I'm not sure if he'll start and I like instant contributors.

I like Anderson's versatility and how athletic he is, while also doing his job.

Gunter might be the steal of the draft!

Like I said, it may not have been the most flashy draft and I would have liked a center early, but it was a pretty damn good draft!
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:11 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’ll play that game. Based on availability who would you have taken first, second, or third and started? We don’t draft Hill. Who replaces Bates or Bell if they go down? Who replaces Hilton? You see Hill is the immediate backup for all 3. He’s going to play a lot in 3 safety packages. So at 31 and 60 who do you draft that starts? You are right we don’t have a backup at WR or TE but it’s just robbing Peter to pay Paul if we’d have drafted a TE or WR early. Then no DT backup. See what I mean?

It's not about changing the picks. I'm fine with Hill I myself would've preferred oline but the way the draft fell the pick wasn't there. For me it's more about we should've stayed put on the other picks. I like CTB but I don't think he was the only answer. But even trade up there is fine I just don't like trading up again for another safety. I would've preferred to draft multiple positions. But after the last few drafts it's becoming apparent our strategy is to pick one group possibly 2 and then just draft heavy in that group. Maybe because we have a small scouting department so you try your luck with multiple picks at one spot. 

Maybe that works but if that's your strategy I wouldn't go burning draft picks on top of that along the way. 
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:08 AM)bonesaw Wrote: who were these players that would've made the draft for you?

Basically, A bunch of the guys the Ravens took.

Though I'm confused because he's talking about our WR depth when the Ravens don't have any real starters at WR after trading Brown.  But they improved so much.
Reply/Quote
Team just went to the Super Bowl.

Lost Waynes, Allen, Philips, Hargreaves
Gained Hill, CTB, Anderson

Lost Sua Filo, Spain, Reiff, Hopkins, Johnson
Gained Karras, Kappa, Collins, Volson

Lost Uzi
Gained Hurst, Eubanks

Lost Ogunjobi, Wyatt Ray
Gained Carter, Gunter

Lost Tate, Huber, Evans
Gained...

I think we got better and did a fine job battling roster turnover.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:19 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm kind of upset that we didn't trade up for Linderbaum or Jurgens, but, other than that, I was happy with the draft, even though we didn't necessarily get many big names or make flashy picks.

Trading up for Linderbaum when we already have Karras would have been crazy. I was plenty high on him myself, but he’s definitely a risky prospect. He could really struggle early on in pass protection.

Reply/Quote
Tiger

Thats all its about is a dialogue of if this team got better over the weekend as opposed to our rivals.
I just happen to think that we fell short of our rivals this weekend. We went to the SB but we want to stay elite and this weekend helped them catch us. All the analytics guys out there can see what I'm saying. Again we went to the SB last year but did we do enough this offseason and draft to make it back.
We made Jessie Bates mad so mission accomplished but we didn't solve our LG problem or depth issue along the offensive line. We needed a TE but all we have is Sample and maybe Moss as a backup. If any of the big three wideouts get hurt knock on wood..Now why would you believe that the linebacker group is so deep and great. We just met Pratt in the playoffs and never really knew ADG
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:21 AM)Whatever Wrote: Basically, A bunch of the guys the Ravens took.

Though I'm confused because he's talking about our WR depth when the Ravens don't have any real starters at WR after trading Brown.  But they improved so much.

People are killing the Bengals for stockpiling DB’s when it’s literally the one position you can get extra guys on the field all at once, but apparently it’s super smart for the Ravens to have 37 TE’s on their roster…

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Saying the team didn’t get any better over the last 3 days is absolutely going into hysterics. It’s literally ridiculous to suggest. The OP asks where the backups and depth are in one sentence, and then talks about not getting starters in another. He’s all over the place.

And no one is suggesting the FO doesn’t make mistakes. But to act like all 6 picks were bad, or that none of them will help the team THIS YEAR, is just downright silly.

He said the safety position got better. I'll say the whole secondary got better with more depth. But if the writing is on the wall with Bates and Bell that's only for a year anyway. Again I like the picks. We're it started to lose me is taking Tycen and I like him too I just think you address other positions. Also I have to say I would've preferred LB instead of Gunter in the 7th. But I would've taken a WR, TE, RB or just about any other position besides a DE that's never gonna see the field or contribute anything meaningful to the team.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:03 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Can't please everyone.
Our O will be much improved from last year, thanks to FA.

Our D got better and we are in a better position to absorb FA losses that might happen next year.

Next year we will likely have the opposite type of draft that we had this year, This year was pump defense, next year will be pump Offense. Good thing the peeps in charge understand this and are looking one year ahead.

Yep some just don't get it.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2022, 12:19 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: It's not about changing the picks. I'm fine with Hill I myself would've preferred oline but the way the draft fell the pick wasn't there. For me it's more about we should've stayed put on the other picks. I like CTB but I don't think he was the only answer. But even trade up there is fine I just don't like trading up again for another safety. I would've preferred to draft multiple positions. But after the last few drafts it's becoming apparent our strategy is to pick one group possibly 2 and then just draft heavy in that group. Maybe because we have a small scouting department so you try your luck with multiple picks at one spot. 

Maybe that works but if that's your strategy I wouldn't go burning draft picks on top of that along the way. 

That is kinda understandable, but we have several contracts expiring from specific position groups and we can't afford them all. So we draft heavy on that particular group a year early so you have Leverage and know what you have already on the roster and not necessarily being forced to sign another FA. That's my take. Next year we will most likely draft OL heavy to get ready to replace the 3 year contract starters when they expire.
Reply/Quote