Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I Do Not Want Mixon

Let me just say I had the following in response to someone in another post but I think this opinion would serve better as its own thread.

For fans who are enamored with Mixon's talent and want this tremendous athlete in Bengals Strips, I would like to offer some thoughts.

Don't rationalize violence. Don't blame the victim. Domestic Violence is the leading cause of death against women in some cities in the United States. I know Mixon was not married at the time but there is a likelihood similar behavior will reoccur in the future. It is not about circumstances; it's a character issue.

Ask yourself this: would Dalton hit his significant other? How about Whit? AJ Green?

Supporters of Mixon state that they want the Cincinnati Bengals to win. Some fans reason that talent wins championships. The New England Patriots do win... Super Bowls. They took Mixon off their board. It takes more than talent to win. It takes discipline. It takes poise under pressure. Team chemistry.

Mike Brown has picked talent over characters for years. Just look at what draft sites say about the Bengals. Listen to the sports media and what their perception is of the Bengals. Bengals are infamous for giving players second chances. The latest shenanigans involving Adam Jones is case and point. But ultimately the Bengals have not won in the playoffs since Mike Brown has been GM/owner.

Crunch time is when teams need character. Bengals do not have enough members with this virtue from top down. And I am talking about members in the Front Office and Coaches; not just players. Talent is important sure. But talent with character is better. In my view, if Paul Brown were alive today, he would have nothing to do with Mixon.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Hard to say what Paul Brown would do. But remember, he taught Mike everything he knows. He also chose Tiger Johnson over Bill Walsh. And how many chances did Paul give Stanley Wilson? Time to get over this Paul Brown was perfect myth and move on. The man has been dead for almost thirty years. He's the reason Mike hates FA.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

In fairness, the Bengals have largely cleaned up their act in recent years, and it still hasn't produced a SB win. Every team in the league has some guys with character concerns.

Furthermore, Ray Lewis was involved in a murder, and was the on field and spiritual leader of two SB winning teams. Ben Roethlisberger has as many SB rings as rape allegations, not to mention the fact that the man is such an xsshole that he's been banned from Pittsburgh night clubs and refused to autograph items for teammates' charities.

The reason the Pats took Mixon off their board is that it's a PR nightmare due to there being video of the incident. They drafted Aaron Hernandez after he shot a guy in college, for Pete's sake. They have LeGarrett Blount on their team, now.

Paul Brown coached Jim Brown for years, and Jim Brown beat the hxll out of an 18 year old girl in his hotel room and attempted to kill a girl by chucking her off a balcony.
(04-01-2017, 01:50 PM)McC Wrote: Hard to say what Paul Brown would do.  But remember, he taught Mike everything he knows.  He also chose Tiger Johnson over Bill Walsh.  And how many chances did Paul give Stanley Wilson?  Time to get over this Paul Brown was perfect myth and move on.  The man has been dead for almost thirty years.  He's the reason Mike hates FA.

Yup, and the reason we have such a small scouting department and coaches have to do double duty as scouts is because that's how Paul Brown did it.  The reason Mike Brown won't hire a GM is because Paul Brown never hired one.
I never have wanted him. There will be very good players available in the second round per say. If foregiveness and second chances won playoff games, how come we haven't won any. It hasn't really been a formula to success here. A guy like Burfict who didn't cost anything sure. But why waste early draft picks here...
I don't want him either
You guys must've missed articles posted on the mothership.

Mike and Paul did not see eye to eye on personnel decisions.

Mike likes reclamation projects and transforming troubled players.

Paul did not. He wouldn't knowingly take players with issues.

This info is straight from Mike Brown's mouth. Which explains a lot.

He even admitted making mistakes by going against his father's beliefs.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
I would bet the majority of players in this draft have at some point done something that would make people question their character. Especially if it was caught on camera.

How many of these guys get in trouble? How many get lucky and never get caught.

If you want to cheer on a bunch of choir boys, football at its heart a violent sport, may not be for you.
(04-01-2017, 01:06 PM)psychdoctor Wrote:

Let me just say I had the following in response to someone in another post but I think this opinion would serve better as its own thread.

For fans who are enamored with Mixon's talent and want this tremendous athlete in Bengals Strips, I would like to offer some thoughts.

Don't rationalize violence.  Don't blame the victim.  Domestic Violence is the leading cause of death against women in some cities in the United States. I know Mixon was not married at the time but there is a likelihood similar behavior will reoccur in the future.  It is not about circumstances; it's a character issue.

Ask yourself this: would Dalton hit his significant other? How about Whit? AJ Green?  

Supporters of Mixon state that they want the Cincinnati Bengals to win.  Some fans reason that talent wins championships.  The New England Patriots do win... Super Bowls.  They took Mixon off their board.  It takes more than talent to win.  It takes discipline. It takes poise under pressure.  Team chemistry.  

Mike Brown has picked talent over characters for years.  Just look at what draft sites say about the Bengals.  Listen to the sports media and what their perception is of the Bengals.  Bengals are infamous for giving players second chances.  The latest shenanigans involving Adam Jones is case and point.  But ultimately the Bengals have not won in the playoffs since Mike Brown has been GM/owner.

Crunch time is when teams need character.  Bengals do not have enough members with this virtue from top down.  And I am talking about members in the Front Office and Coaches; not just players.  Talent is important sure. But talent with character is better.   In my view, if Paul Brown were alive today, he would have nothing to do with Mixon.

This should receive maximum rep from all. Great post!
Completely agree and really hope the Bengals do too. Unfortunately it sounds like they are legitimately interested in the guy smh
(04-01-2017, 01:50 PM)McC Wrote: Hard to say what Paul Brown would do.  But remember, he taught Mike everything he knows.  He also chose Tiger Johnson over Bill Walsh.  And how many chances did Paul give Stanley Wilson?  Time to get over this Paul Brown was perfect myth and move on.  The man has been dead for almost thirty years.  He's the reason Mike hates FA.

I assure you that Paul Brown was not a guy who put up with any crap at all. I mean not at all.

Mikey, on the other hand, has nothing in common with his father other than he inherited his last name and the team, and has been a disgrace to both.

Maybe Paul tried to teach Mikey everything he knew, but I assure you that Mikey didn't learn a damn thing.

(04-01-2017, 06:30 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I assure you that Paul Brown was not a guy who put up with any crap at all. I mean not at all.

Mikey, on the other hand, has nothing in common with his father other than he inherited his last name and the team, and has been a disgrace to both.

Maybe Paul tried to teach Mikey everything he knew, but I assure you that Mikey didn't learn a damn thing.

Yes this is what I was led to believe from Mike Brown's interview.

He desired to work with troubled players where as Paul did not.

It was one of those issues they never agreed upon.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
(04-01-2017, 06:53 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Yes this is what I was led to believe from Mike Brown's interview.

He desired to work with troubled players where as Paul did not.

It was one of those issues they never agreed upon.

Football is a sport you play to win, just like any other sport. Paul won numerous championships and was in the HoF before he even started the Bengals.

Mikey, on the other hand, hasn't won anything and likely never will.

Adam Jones very well could have played for Paul Brown, but I assure you that if he had he would think twice before getting into an altercation with the police and it likely just wouldn't happen at all cause the coach could just send him to the worst team in the universe.

There's the difference. It's not that Paul didn't care about his players, he did and he understood that giving sympathy never helped anyone, ever. Adam Jones didn't get in trouble when Zimmer was here cause Zimmer is much more like Paul was. Zimmer cared, but since when did caring mean you let someone just do whatever and damn everyone else.

Except it wasnt domestic violence it was assault plain and simple.
(04-01-2017, 06:30 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I assure you that Paul Brown was not a guy who put up with any crap at all. I mean not at all.

Depended on how good the players was.  Mike is softer hearted, to be sure. Except for maybe the redemption thing, Mike does it the Paul way.  He doesn't have the instincts daddy did, but he follows The Way.

But even as brilliant as he was in his Cleveland days, he chose Tiger...well, you know the rest.  Everything could have/would have been different.

That's about as monumental a failure as it gets.  Forrest Gregg was a good coach.  Sam too.  But we're talking right up there with Paul on the Mt. Rushmore of coaching.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

(04-02-2017, 01:51 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Except it wasnt domestic violence it was assault plain and simple.

Exactly. I had to scroll through way too many posts before seeing this mentioned. 

Don't rationalize violence.  Don't blame the victim.  Domestic Violence is the leading cause of death against women in some cities in the United States. I know Mixon was not married at the time but there is a likelihood similar behavior will reoccur in the future.  It is not about circumstances; it's a character issue.

Supporters of Mixon state that they want the Cincinnati Bengals to win.  Some fans reason that talent wins championships.  The New England Patriots do win... Super Bowls.  They took Mixon off their board.  It takes more than talent to win.  It takes discipline. It takes poise under pressure.  Team chemistry.  

Mike Brown has picked talent over characters for years.  Just look at what draft sites say about the Bengals.  Listen to the sports media and what their perception is of the Bengals.  Bengals are infamous for giving players second chances.  The latest shenanigans involving Adam Jones is case and point.  But ultimately the Bengals have not won in the playoffs since Mike Brown has been GM/owner.

Crunch time is when teams need character.  Bengals do not have enough members with this virtue from top down.  And I am talking about members in the Front Office and Coaches; not just players.  Talent is important sure. But talent with character is better.   In my view, if Paul Brown were alive today, he would have nothing to do with Mixon.

Patriots have had tons of problem players on their roster, and they still do.  So does pretty much every tyeam in the league.  They all draft guys who have goten into trouble.  Acting like they don't is just naive.

Justin Smith, Leon Hall, Jonathan Joseph were all guilty of criminal behavior while on the bengals, but we never cut any of them.  

When we drafted Frostee Rucker people like you painted him as a sexual preditor that no other team would have drafted, yet he was a perfect teammate and citizen whil with the Bengals.
Nothing wrong with the Bengals performing due diligence. If they talk to former coaches, players, teammates, the guys who knew him in high school, etc, and find out this incident was more an anomoly than the norm....that he has been a good person but made a mistake...then I have no problem with them taking him. Many people have done stupid things when they were 18-20 years old...things that were not really indicative of the type of person they really are.

On the other hand, if that diligence reveals that he has a history of being a hot head, of not respecting others, etc, then I do have a problem with them taking him. Terrific athletes can help you win, its true....but hotheads/people with character issues can also help you lose in big game/high pressure situations....such as the playoffs. We experienced that double edged sword with the Burfict and Jones show in the playoff loss to the steelers. Both very good athletes, but their character flaws showed up in the high pressure situation.
(04-01-2017, 03:07 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: You guys must've missed articles posted on the mothership.

Mike and Paul did not see eye to eye on personnel decisions.

Mike likes reclamation projects and transforming troubled players.

Paul did not. He wouldn't knowingly take players with issues.

This info is straight from Mike Brown's mouth.  Which explains a lot.

He even admitted making mistakes by going against his father's beliefs.

Remember,thugs help teams win superbowls,Adam Jones will not get another contract with our team and if Joe Mixons talent shows he is the best pick in our second round,we better go after this guy.He has been clean with no problems for two plus years,and that is sayin something about his character.He is the most polished runner in this draft,he would be a top ten pick without the punch.I want him to be a Bengal.Jeremy Hill is not the answer and this guy is 6ft 1in and 235-240.He already shows he is the man.i want him in strips.If he messes up he will be out of the league.SOMEONE will draft this guy,I want it to be us.Go watch his tape,he is outstanding and a runner like him is hard to find.DRAFT HIM AND allow him to be around Andy and AJ.

So you say you don't want Mixon, and that's fine. Do you want Dalvin Cook?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!