Poll: Why not keep Andy
I'm concerned about Mike Brown's savings
Mike will use the saved money to invest in the oline
We'll get a pick in the first 3 rounds
We owe it to Andy
Andy will be made if we don't
Other (splain yoself)
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
Why not keep Andy as a backup?
I'm not answering the poll, as I don't see an option for keeping him as a veteran mentor.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 09:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: For one year? YES. Burrow is our franchise moving forward. Why not invest all you can in it. Save your little gif for someone else

(01-19-2020, 09:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Didn't the Giants last year? I will go out on a limb and say it benefited their future QB

Let's just say that the Giants are in NY, and maybe they have a little more disposable cash to throw away than most teams?  Or, maybe they did Eli the courtesy because he's won two Superbowls with that organization?

Either way, neither apply to the Bengals or Andy.  With our budget minded organization, the best thing would be to free the cash.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Cause our cheap ass team shouldn't have the highest paid clip board holder in the league.

This is pretty simple really.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 09:06 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Can't do that anymore, apparently; you need to spend otherwise you lose it and can't carry it over or something.

Can't remember where I read it.

The CBA expires this year.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 09:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Cut Dre and Hart and you have the same money. And that doesn't count the money we have to pay a journeyman QB to show Joe the ropes and provide insight on the players on the roster. Wait another QB can't do that

Crazy idea here, but maybe Zac, Brian and Alex could give Joe some insight into the offensive system and players.  

In addition, perhaps a veteran like Matt Moore, who knows and has played for Zac, has been around forever and has seen a lot, might be able to help Joe out just a little...wouldn't you say?
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 09:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Cut Dre and Hart and you have the same money. And that doesn't count the money we have to pay a journeyman QB to show Joe the ropes and provide insight on the players on the roster. Wait another QB can't do that

Trading or even Cutting Andy is a smart move by the FO because it frees up cash that can be used at other positions during Burrows Rookie Contract and it's a SAFE cut that doesnt hurt but can even help the roster. What they do with Dre and Hart doesnt change that fact.

They can bring in cheap veteran QB like they did with Bruce Gradkowski for Andy. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 10:05 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Crazy idea here, but maybe Zac, Brian and Alex could give Joe some insight into the offensive system and players.  

In addition, perhaps a veteran like Matt Moore, who knows and has played for Zac, has been around forever and has seen a lot, might be able to help Joe out just a little...wouldn't you say?

Yeah, that is kinda crazy as they've only been with them one year and even if they'd been there forever, they cannot provide the insight  teammate can. 

Sure Matt can help out Joe a little. Why not keep the vet that can help him out the most? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 09:57 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I'm not answering the poll, as I don't see an option for keeping him as a veteran mentor.

That's because that's a very unpopular choice for some reason. But I like the way you think

Reply/Quote
ZT isn't some 90 year old defensive-minded fossil of a HC, he is supposedly a great QB coach so having an 18 million dollar coach in Dalton seems like quite the luxury for a roster that isn't solid gold across the board.

Also, if Dalton had any grasp of ZT's system (whatever it is) it didn't show in his performance, so that's another reason to cut him loose.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 10:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, that is kinda crazy as they've only been with them one year and even if they'd been there forever, they cannot provide the insight  teammate can. 

Sure Matt can help out Joe a little. Why not keep the vet that can help him out the most? 

Why can't the offense provide insight on themselves? Does Joe have to ask Andy what Tyler Boyd likes to do or can he go directly to Tyler Boyd and work with him to build Chemistry?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I personally wouldn't mind Dalton being mentor or even starting and transition to Burrow situation.

The only reason I say that is because I have little faith they'll spend the money wisely on ANYTHING.

Now if I am actually in charge of the team
I trade Dalton for what I can get.

You GOTTA start Burrow, because fans will get pissed you picked the #1OA QB that everyone interested in NFL is salivating about.

Then turn around and use what would would've paid Dalton and your trade pick to make the team better.

Along with other overpaid and underwhelming players.

Oh well. I don't run the team so they'll F it up. Bengal biz.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 09:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Let's just say that the Giants are in NY, and maybe they have a little more disposable cash to throw away than most teams?  Or, maybe they did Eli the courtesy because he's won two Superbowls with that organization?

Either way, neither apply to the Bengals or Andy.  With our budget minded organization, the best thing would be to free the cash.

(01-19-2020, 10:00 PM)jason Wrote: Cause our cheap ass team shouldn't have the highest paid clip board holder in the league.

This is pretty simple really.

Right, I really have a hard time seeing MB pay Dalton 18 million to hold a clip board.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 10:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That's because that's a very unpopular choice for some reason. But I like the way you think

It's unpopular because literally any veteran can mentor a rookie... Especially on a team that has no identity. If Andy Dalton got by with no OTA or off-season in 2011 with Bruce Gradkowski, Joe Burrow will be fine with whoever.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 10:15 PM)Synric Wrote: Why can't the offense provide insight on themselves? Does Joe have to ask Andy what Tyler Boyd likes to do or can he go directly to Tyler Boyd and work with him to build Chemistry?

He can ask them what they think about themselves all he wants. Keeping Andy here would not stop that. Andy would just give additional insight. 

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 10:18 PM)jason Wrote: It's unpopular because literally any veteran can mentor a rookie... Especially on a team that has no identity. If Andy Dalton got by with no OTA or off-season in 2011 with Bruce Gradkowski, Joe Burrow will be fine with whoever.

I guess we can hope Joe lives up to Andy's career and hope he "gets by". 

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 10:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He can ask them what they think about themselves all he wants. Keeping Andy here would not stop that. Andy would just give additional insight. 

JB - Mr. Dalton, can you give me some insight?
AD - Yes, don't take a team-friendly deal to stay with the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
The naive side of me thinks the 17 million dollars we save will be used to sign a free agent LB of value.

But then I woke up and decided we may as well keep him.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 10:16 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I personally wouldn't mind Dalton being mentor or even starting and transition to Burrow situation.

The only reason I say that is because I have little faith they'll spend the money wisely on ANYTHING.

Now if I am actually in charge of the team
I trade Dalton for what I can get.

You GOTTA start Burrow, because fans will get pissed you picked the #1OA QB that everyone interested in NFL is salivating about.

Then turn around and use what would would've paid Dalton and your trade pick to make the team better.

Along with other overpaid and underwhelming players.

Oh well.  I don't run the team so they'll F it up.  Bengal biz.

No you don't.  In fact, fan reaction doesn't matter at all in how to prepare a rookie QB.  The only possible argument in favor of starting the rookie immediately is the 4 year contract.  Sit them out for year one and you only get 2 years of in game to evaluate before making a call on the option year.  
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 10:23 PM)Nately120 Wrote: JB - Mr. Dalton, can you give me some insight?
AD - Yes, don't take a team-friendly deal to stay with the Bengals.

Real talk....

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 09:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: For one year? YES. Burrow is our franchise moving forward. Why not invest all you can in it. Save your little gif for someone else

It's a damn funny gif though.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote