Poll: Why not keep Andy
I'm concerned about Mike Brown's savings
Mike will use the saved money to invest in the oline
We'll get a pick in the first 3 rounds
We owe it to Andy
Andy will be made if we don't
Other (splain yoself)
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
Why not keep Andy as a backup?
(01-19-2020, 10:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I guess we can hope Joe lives up to Andy's career and hope he "gets by". 

Or we can hope the worst QB in the league last year (5th or 6th worst the year before... The guy's a scrub; right?) isn't the worst mentor for 18 million big ones.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 10:18 PM)jason Wrote: It's unpopular because literally any veteran can mentor a rookie... Especially on a team that has no identity. If Andy Dalton got by with no OTA or off-season in 2011 with Bruce Gradkowski, Joe Burrow will be fine with whoever.

Ryan Finley is a veteran, so he can do the job, right?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This seems like such backwards logic to me. Lets keep Dalton because Mike "might" not spend the money elsewhere? By that logic, we may as well keep players like Cordy Glenn around. We may as well sign Hart to a massive extension, because - after all - Mike might not spend that money in free agency.

How about we simplify this and just say "dumb moves are dumb", and keeping a disgruntled backup around at a cool $18 million would be very dumb.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 10:30 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Ryan Finley is a veteran, so he can do the job, right?

Yep... Finley has no identity just like the team as a whole. The simple fact of the matter is it's sink or swim for Joe Burrow. That's where you're at when you're taking a QB number 1 overall.

Who mentored Andrew Luck and Cam Newton?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 10:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I guess we can hope Joe lives up to Andy's career and hope he "gets by". 

If Andy is truly as bad as you've went out of your way to say he is..why the hell do you want him giving Joe advice at all?   Nervous
Reply/Quote
Like others have said paying a backup QB that much is crazy. You could cut Dalton and sign a veteran backup journey man like a Josh Mccown type who accepts his role and cost a fraction of the price. Dalton wants to start and its an uncomfortable dynamic for all parties involved having your former starter mentoring his replacement. The other thing to factor in is we just drafted Finely in the 4th round if we want to sign a vet we’d probably have to keep 3 qb’s on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 10:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This seems like such backwards logic to me. Lets keep Dalton because Mike "might" not spend the money elsewhere? By that logic, we may as well keep players like Cordy Glenn around. We may as well sign Hart to a massive extension, because - after all - Mike might not spend that money in free agency.

How about we simplify this and just say "dumb moves are dumb", and keeping a disgruntled backup around at a cool $18 million would be very dumb.

Yeah, I just don't get the logic. Sorry to anyone that supports the idea of keeping Andy around after we draft Joe, but it simply doesn't make any sense to me for all the reason that many posters have already mentioned.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 10:47 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If Andy is truly as bad as you've went out of your way to say he is..why the hell do you want him giving Joe advice at all?   Nervous

I have 0 idea how I've went "out of my way" to day how bad Andy is. I've generally evaluated him on his performance.

As to the question posed: I don't want Andy to teach Joe how to throw; pretty sure I've never suggested that. I do want Joe to have every asset available to him and I consider a QB that has started 10 years on the team you got drafted to as an asset. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 10:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This seems like such backwards logic to me. Lets keep Dalton because Mike "might" not spend the money elsewhere? By that logic, we may as well keep players like Cordy Glenn around. We may as well sign Hart to a massive extension, because - after all - Mike might not spend that money in free agency.

(01-19-2020, 10:54 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, I just don't get the logic. Sorry to anyone that supports the idea of keeping Andy around after we draft Joe, but it simply doesn't make any sense to me for all the reason that many posters have already mentioned.

I don't want to keep him.

It is not backwards logic to say that this stupid ass franchise will sign even more worthless players like Hart and Preston Brown type deals.

Excuse me if a backup who CAN win a game in the NFL makes more sense to come into a game than a dumbass like Hart who is a detriment to the success of the team EVERY time he steps on the field.

Is Dalton actually worth 17-18 million to this team?  No.  Probably not.  Yet I can easily see them waste the same if not MORE money on bad Free Agents.

What in the hell is so hard to see there.  You've watched what The Family & Tobin do.  To act like they won't is backwards logic to me.

We've got Gio hardly getting any production and grossly overpaid.  Idiocy at it's best.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 10:16 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I personally wouldn't mind Dalton being mentor or even starting and transition to Burrow situation.

The only reason I say that is because I have little faith they'll spend the money wisely on ANYTHING.

Now if I am actually in charge of the team I trade Dalton for what I can get.

You GOTTA start Burrow, because fans will get pissed you picked the #1OA QB that everyone interested in NFL is salivating about.

(01-19-2020, 10:25 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: No you don't.  In fact, fan reaction doesn't matter at all in how to prepare a rookie QB.  The only possible argument in favor of starting the rookie immediately is the 4 year contract.  Sit them out for year one and you only get 2 years of in game to evaluate before making a call on the option year.  

Yes you do have to get Burrow out there.  Your team is losing ticket holders and the attendance is at an all-time low.

Can you imagine if they sat on Burrow and the outcry?

Hell they were hanging signs from the overpass to get AJ Frickin' McCarron in as starter and that's when fans were still showing up.

Maybe elsewhere they could sit him but not here.  It's 2020 where draft picks start year one all of the time.

Those seats aren't going to grow asses by themselves.
Reply/Quote
If we keep AD as the backup QB, we go from a QB position spend of 18 million in 2019 to 26 million in 2020? But, if Burrow and Finley we have only a QB position spend in 2020 of less than 10 million. That gives us money to reinvest elsewhere.

Why would we do that when we know we have other needs to help a young QB be filled versus a back up QB.

Cut ties with AD, hopefully get a draft pick and spend his salary in 2019 to sign Green or an all pro guard.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Makes no sense to keep a backup QB at that price. We could do so much better with the options and let Zac put the guys in place he thinks it takes to win a SB.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 10:41 PM)jason Wrote: Yep... Finley has no identity just like the team as a whole. The simple fact of the matter is it's sink or swim for Joe Burrow. That's where you're at when you're taking a QB number 1 overall.

Who mentored Andrew Luck and Cam Newton?

Derrick Anderson and Drew Stanton.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 11:14 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If we keep AD as the backup QB, we go from a QB position spend of 18 million in 2019 to 26 million in 2020?

Why would we do that when we know we have other needs to help a young QB be filled versus a back up QB.

Cut ties with AD, hopefully get a draft pick and seond his salary in 2019 to sign Green or an all pro guard.

Agreed. This seems to me to be the smartest and most reasonable way to handle it. 
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 11:07 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I don't want to keep him.

It is not backwards logic to say that this stupid ass franchise will sign even more worthless players like Hart and Preston Brown type deals.

Excuse me if a backup who CAN win a game in the NFL makes more sense to come into a game than a dumbass like Hart who is a detriment to the success of the team EVERY time he steps on the field.

Is Dalton actually worth 17-18 million to this team?  No.  Probably not.  Yet I can easily see them waste the same if not MORE money on bad Free Agents.

What in the hell is so hard to see there.  You've watched what The Family & Tobin do.  To act like they won't is backwards logic to me.

We've got Gio hardly getting any production and grossly overpaid.  Idiocy at it's best.

I agree with your assessment; although, I wouldn't put the franchise on blast as much.

Andy is an asset and one that Mikey can pay for without having to sign. I don't understand the "release Andy and spend the money to improve the team" mentality. Parting with Andy hurts our team. Dude would be a great mentor and backup QB. 

Parting ways with AD will do absolutely nothing to motivate Mikey to put more money in the team. 

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 11:14 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If we keep AD as the backup QB, we go from a QB position spend of 18 million in 2019 to 26 million in 2020? But, if Burrow and Finley we have only a QB position spend in 2020 of less than 10 million. That gives us money to reinvest elsewhere.

Cut ties with AD, hopefully get a draft pick and spend his salary in 2019 to sign Green or an all pro guard.

And our situation at QB could be well worth that $8 mil investment. But hey, if we part ways with Andy, we'll definitely sign an All Pro guard. 

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 11:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I agree with your assessment; although, I wouldn't put the franchise on blast as much.

Andy is an asset and one that Mikey can pay for without having to sign. I don't understand the "release Andy and spend the money to improve the team" mentality. Parting with Andy hurts our team. Dude would be a great mentor and backup QB. 

Parting ways with AD will do absolutely nothing to motivate Mikey to put more money in the team. 

Bingo and that's why I blast him and his clueless cronies.

It's pretty bad when the best signing they've had recently is a O-lineman that they snatched off a practice squad.

Think about that for a minute folks.

The best sorta FA signing is a practice squad guy, after failing to do anything to improve the team through draft and signings.

Pretty damn sad.

Yep.  They'll just miraculously ride on the magical wings of Zac Taylor to Skittle rainbow skies of glory.  Nice grasp of reality guys.
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton wants to start. Tom Brady is open to signing with a new team as a mentor for a young quarterback. This is too easy:

1. Trade Andy Dalton to the Patriots for linebacker Dont’a Hightower.

2. Acquire Tom Brady on a one year deal via free agency.

The best rookie gets mentored by the GOAT, Dalton gets his dream shot, the Bengals get a quality linebacker, and Brady gets to build upon his legacy.

It’s a win for all involved.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 11:29 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Bingo and that's why I blast him and his clueless cronies.

It's pretty bad when the best signing they've had recently is a O-lineman that they snatched off a practice squad.

Think about that for a minute folks.

The best sorta FA signing is a practice squad guy, after failing to do anything to improve the team through draft and signings.

Pretty damn sad.

Yep.  They'll just miraculously ride on the magical wings of Zac Taylor to Skittle rainbow skies of glory.  Nice grasp of reality guys.

Wasn't Fred on the Stoolers' active roster?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 11:36 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Wasn't Fred on the Stoolers' active roster?

I think we got him when they cut him in an attempt to put him on their PS

Reply/Quote