Poll: Why not keep Andy
I'm concerned about Mike Brown's savings
Mike will use the saved money to invest in the oline
We'll get a pick in the first 3 rounds
We owe it to Andy
Andy will be made if we don't
Other (splain yoself)
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
Why not keep Andy as a backup?
dalton also doesn't want to be a backup. like eli. would they even want to mentor at all or does andy have advice to offer? :)
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 01:09 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Believe me, I know it and it was a dumb move. 

No hard feelings, and fwiw I get where you and others are coming from on this, with Mike's reputation for being frugal and all. I just don't think we should hope Mike makes a dumb move (keeping an $18 million backup) to prevent him from making a dumb move (cutting Dalton and pocketing the money).

I think we should just hope Mike makes the correct moves, and step one would be parting with Dalton.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
An $18 million backup seems insane.

Especially when guys like Brady took less to win more.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My point is I want them to get something from Dalton.

I don't think it's too far fetched to see them fail yet again at signing Free Agents.

I'm not saying they shouldn't try.

I just have almost no faith in them for both effort and knowledge how to successfully do this in recent years.

That is why I stated that it wouldn't upset me if they kept him because the reality is that they'd probably not do anything of worth anyways.

I get it. You guys are sick of negative thoughts about the competence of The Family/Tobin but it's truth.

Sorry to piss on your parade.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 07:49 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: My point is I want them to get something from Dalton.

I don't think it's too far fetched to see them fail yet again at signing Free Agents.

I'm not saying they shouldn't try.

I just have almost no faith in them for both effort and knowledge how to successfully do this in recent years.

That is why I stated that it wouldn't upset me if they kept him because the reality is that they'd probably not do anything of worth anyways.

I get it.  You guys are sick of negative thoughts about the competence of The Family/Tobin but it's truth.

Sorry to piss on your parade.

Eh, if I'm another team, I'm betting on the Bengals not wanting to give Dalton $18 million to be a backup.  Why offer a trade when I could just sit tight and wait for them to cut him?  A trade only happens if multiple teams are interested in him, which... I'm not sure about.  
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 09:06 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Can't do that anymore, apparently; you need to spend otherwise you lose it and can't carry it over or something.

Can't remember where I read it.

It’s because the CBA is ending after this season IIRC. They don’t know what new salary rules will end up being in place after.
Personally, I say don’t allow rollover but still have a required floor (95%).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 02:52 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: No hard feelings, and fwiw I get where you and others are coming from on this, with Mike's reputation for being frugal and all. I just don't think we should hope Mike makes a dumb move (keeping an $18 million backup) to prevent him from making a dumb move (cutting Dalton and pocketing the money).

I think we should just hope Mike makes the correct moves, and step one would be parting with Dalton.

It's not frugality, it's the path of least resistance.  The easy way.  They have to spend a certain amount.  Andy puts them $18 million closer to that amount without them having to lift a finger.  The hopeful part of me thinks maybe after a year of a half full stadium they will decide to put some effort in, but I don't know if they've fully recovered from the coach search yet.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 03:20 AM)Benton Wrote: An $18 million backup seems insane.

Especially when guys like Brady took less to win more.

This exactly
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 10:13 AM)ochocincos Wrote: It’s because the CBA is ending after this season IIRC. They don’t know what new salary rules will end up being in place after.
Personally, I say don’t allow rollover but still have a required floor (95%).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems the perfect solution 

Certain unnamed owners will not like that though, cough, cough, MB, cough, cough. 

But hoping this is the exact outcome.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 12:12 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Seems the perfect solution 

Certain unnamed owners will not like that though, cough, cough, MB, cough, cough. 

But hoping this is the exact outcome.

Saving 10m in a 200m salary cap would be spending 95%. Because of roll over MB spends very close to 100% of the set cap every year. He just keeps rolling over 7 to 10 mil.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 02:28 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: dalton also doesn't want to be a backup. like eli. would they even want to mentor at all or does andy have advice to offer? :)

No QB in the NFL wants to be a backup; unfortunately there's only 32 starting gigs in the world. 

Eli was a true professional last year and seemed to take Daniel Dimes under his wing. Hell, he even taught him how to play flip cup:

[Image: 89c215cb03e44e6b834c96eed9e0a0e1_md.jpg]

Why does everyone assume Andy wouldn't handle it with a degree of professionalism? 

There are reasons to part ways with Andy, but the only one I'd be down with would be to trade for a 1-3 rd pick or player of equal value. 

Freeing up $18 Mil so Mikey can spend it on other players is quite naive. Anyone remember all the great FAs we brought in when we got CP9's salary off the books? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2020, 11:17 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Derrick Anderson and Drew Stanton.

It was a rhetorical question, but I'll tell you this much... Those 2 guys combined weren't getting $18 million.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 08:19 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Eh, if I'm another team, I'm betting on the Bengals not wanting to give Dalton $18 million to be a backup.  Why offer a trade when I could just sit tight and wait for them to cut him?  A trade only happens if multiple teams are interested in him, which... I'm not sure about.  

The only reason you trade for Dalton is you guarantee you have a starting caliber QB for 2020. If you wait until he is cut you get into a bidding war and will have to sign him for multiple years. Teams like the Chargers, Bucs, Colts, Jags, Raiders, Panthers, Dolphins, and Titans are QB needy teams.  I can see at least two or three of those teams in play for Dalton because of the poor QB class this year.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 12:19 PM)Synric Wrote: Saving 10m in a 200m salary cap would be spending 95%. Because of roll over MB spends very close to 100% of the set cap every year. He just keeps rolling over 7 to 10 mil.

Did you miss the highlighted part about no rollover being allowed ? 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 12:40 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Did you miss the highlighted part about no rollover being allowed ? 

I pointing out the fact that keeping the roll over is advantageous.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Keeping Andy Dalton around to mentor burrow would be hilarious

Hi I’m Andy. Don’t do anything that I do on the field, because I’m a joke.

But other than that, can’t wait to guide you. Yes. I was the worst qb in the nfl last year, but I promise I know what I’m doing
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 12:40 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Did you miss the highlighted part about no rollover being allowed ? 

I might be missing something but I would see that as a detriment to the players. Every team can't spend all the cap money up front. Have to hold some in reserve in case of injuries. If , at the end of the season, that money that doesn't get spent then that money can't be spent on the players.
Reply/Quote
Fitzpatrick (MacGregor) + #3?

Smirk
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 12:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No QB in the NFL wants to be a backup; unfortunately there's only 32 starting gigs in the world. 

Eli was a true professional last year and seemed to take Daniel Dimes under his wing. Hell, he even taught him how to play flip cup:

[Image: 89c215cb03e44e6b834c96eed9e0a0e1_md.jpg]

Why does everyone assume Andy wouldn't handle it with a degree of professionalism? 

There are reasons to part ways with Andy, but the only one I'd be down with would be to trade for a 1-3 rd pick or player of equal value. 

Freeing up $18 Mil so Mikey can spend it on other players is quite naive. Anyone remember all the great FAs we brought in when we got CP9's salary off the books? 
Hell hath no fury like a red headed QB scorned. Why take the chance?
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 12:36 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: The only reason you trade for Dalton is you guarantee you have a starting caliber QB for 2020. If you wait until he is cut you get into a bidding war and will have to sign him for multiple years. Teams like the Chargers, Bucs, Colts, Jags, Raiders, Panthers, Dolphins, and Titans are QB needy teams.  I can see at least two or three of those teams in play for Dalton because of the poor QB class this year.

Jags will roll with Minshew. as he was the highest rated rookie last year

I'll go out on a limb and say the Titans are happy with having the #1 rated passer in the NFL and getting to the Championship game

Raiders QB was #9 in the NFL last year with a rating over 100

Panthers have Cam Newton under contract

Dolphins will draft Tua or Herbert and will use Fitzmagic as a mentor

Chargers will take whichever QB the Dolphins don't

Bears (you didn't mention them) have replaced their OC and have pledged allegiance to Mitch

The above teams can do all of that and not cost themselves a draft pick or Andy's salary

Colts and Bucs are possibilities. I can see the Bucs spending money on Bridgewater as he knows their division and is a Florida kid if they don't resign Winston. Colts would be wise to bring in Mariota to compete with Brisett; there's also the intrigue of bringing in the other Manning. And once again they can do this without losing a draft pick; except for the Manning scenarios.

What I would love to see is Eli go to SD
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote