Poll: Why not keep Andy
I'm concerned about Mike Brown's savings
Mike will use the saved money to invest in the oline
We'll get a pick in the first 3 rounds
We owe it to Andy
Andy will be made if we don't
Other (splain yoself)
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
Why not keep Andy as a backup?
(01-20-2020, 07:34 PM)Aland Wrote: Andy Dalton Playoff career vs Patrick Mahomes - 4 games each :

Andy:
1 TD  6 INT55% completion 57 Rating

Mahomes: 
11 TD  0 INT63% completion115 Rating

Andy, please go away forever.

I wish people would stop wishing death on players.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 02:41 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: I say keep Andy but not as the backup, make him the starter. He is in a contract year for another team, meaning he should play lights out. Meaning Bengals would get good Andy almost every week. If Andy gets hurt than Burrow can get some experience playing in placed of the injured Dalton.

This year FA should be used to help fill some of the void on the team. Next year used the money from AD to help build the team further for Burrow.

This way Dalton if he plays like an All-Pro he can land his last contract and maybe a good well to boot.

I think we owe it to Dalton to let him finish out his contract as a starter with the Bengals.

No we don't. This team needs a fresh start and that can't happen with Dalton at the helm. If you want to do Dalton a favor, trade him to another team so that he can also have a fresh start. Trading Dalton now is the best route to take, because it allows the team to more quickly transition to the new QB and it allows the new QB to get more experience in year one thus setting up for less growing pains and better results in year two. It also nets us more draft capital and Dalton's cap money, which SHOULD be used to start improving the team now vs waiting another year.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 02:41 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: This way Dalton if he plays like an All-Pro he can land his last contract and maybe a good well to boot.

I think we owe it to Dalton to let him finish out his contract as a starter with the Bengals.

Lol. Our ‘fans’ are hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 02:41 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: I say keep Andy but not as the backup, make him the starter. He is in a contract year for another team, meaning he should play lights out. Meaning Bengals would get good Andy almost every week. If Andy gets hurt than Burrow can get some experience playing in placed of the injured Dalton.

This year FA should be used to help fill some of the void on the team. Next year used the money from AD to help build the team further for Burrow.

This way Dalton if he plays like an All-Pro he can land his last contract and maybe a good well to boot.

By keeping Andy as the starter for another year, not only are you not doing him any favors, but you're putting him in a terrible situation. If he starts and Burrow is riding the pine, Andy is going to get crucified every time he throws a bad pass or makes a mistake of any kind. I can already hear the chorus of boos after his first pick and the chants for Burrow. 

If you're really showing respect and appreciation for Andy, wouldn't it be best to give him the opportunity to be starter somewhere else, and not put him in an impossible no-win situation here? Tobin said they will do right by Andy, and I think that means letting him get a chance with another team.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 03:27 PM)Aland Wrote: Lol. Our ‘fans’ are hilarious

I know, right? Some guy earlier in this thread called Dalton a loser. A loser! Dude has a winning record as a starting QB on the BENGALS - one of the worst run franchises since 1991 - and holds multiple franchise records. And yet, someone actually calls him a loser. 
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 03:24 PM)HuDey Wrote: No we don't. This team needs a fresh start and that can't happen with Dalton at the helm. If you want to do Dalton a favor, trade him to another team so that he can also have a fresh start. Trading Dalton now is the best route to take, because it allows the team to more quickly transition to the new QB and it allows the new QB to get more experience in year one thus setting up for less growing pains and better results in year two. It also nets us more draft capital and Dalton's cap money, which SHOULD be used to start improving the team now vs waiting another year.

They should've traded Dalton before the deadline.

Now they'll either have to cut him and get nothing or hang onto him for the upcoming season to trade for QB injured team.

Yet another reason to bang your head against the wall for Tobin/Brown's sloth-like moves.

I'm just worried they're going to roll over Dalton's money if he's cut for AJ.

Green was great but they need to improve the rest of the team and get a healthier WR to step in.

Oh well.  We can speculate all we want but it's probably going to be a very lackluster outcome.

Trading Dalton for a 3rd if possible.  Sign and trade AJ.  Those moves would get you cash and picks to reload the team.  I just don't think it'll happen.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 03:43 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: They should've traded Dalton before the deadline.

Now they'll either have to cut him and get nothing or hang onto him for the upcoming season to trade for QB injured team.

Yet another reason to bang your head against the wall for Tobin/Brown's sloth-like moves.

I'm just worried they're going to roll over Dalton's money if he's cut for AJ.

Green was great but they need to improve the rest of the team and get a healthier WR to step in.

Oh well.  We can speculate all we want but it's probably going to be a very lackluster outcome.

Trading Dalton for a 3rd if possible.  Sign and trade AJ.  Those moves would get you cash and picks to reload the team.  I just don't think it'll happen.

Agreed. I expect the typical Bengal moves this offseason and will not be surprised if Dalton is retained or even extended while we draft someone not named Joe Burrow. While the answers seem to be clear to us, the Bengals usually will do something different.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 03:37 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I know, right? Some guy earlier in this thread called Dalton a loser. A loser! Dude has a winning record as a starting QB on the BENGALS - one of the worst run franchises since 1991 - and holds multiple franchise records. And yet, someone actually calls him a loser. 

If we can't agree that he is a loser can we agree that when it comes to advancing in the playoffs he isn't a winner? With all his records he is nine games over .500 for his career. He is 0-4 in the years he went to the playoffs. Either you are winner or you aren't. Some people's definition of being a winner or loser are different and I can see how you see him as not being a loser but I can't see any way you could ever call him a winner. WE deserve a winner.
Reply/Quote

Dalton was basically in a contract year in 2019 given he had a brand new coaching staff around him.
He floundered when given the opportunity. Lowest QBR of his career.
I get there were some key injuries around him (Green, Glenn, Williams) that likely contributed to his decline, but an elite QB does not need all that around him to play well.

All that really matters is whether the team can make the playoffs next year. If they think they have a good chance with Andy Dalton, you keep Dalton. If not, there's no need to roll with Dalton for another year. Given how much this team needs to be competitive again (it's a worse team than what Dalton had to work with as a rookie), I don't see this team making the playoffs in 2020.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 03:54 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: If we can't agree that he is a loser can we agree that when it comes to advancing in the playoffs he isn't a winner? With all his records he is nine games over .500 for his career. He is 0-4 in the years he went to the playoffs. Either you are winner or you aren't. Some people's definition of being a winner or loser are different and I can see how you see him as not being a loser but I can't see any way you could ever call him a winner. WE deserve a winner.

He was a winner compared to most of the league (not the past few years though).
He's also not a winner compared to the perennially elite teams.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 03:52 PM)HuDey Wrote: Agreed. I expect the typical Bengal moves this offseason and will not be surprised if Dalton is retained or even extended while we draft someone not named Joe Burrow. While the answers seem to be clear to us, the Bengals usually will do something different.

Not really. Not when it comes to the 1st round of the draft, anyways. The closest thing to a "shocking" 1st round draft pick in the last few years was the John Ross pick but even then many pundits had us drafting him.

While I won't be surprised to see Dalton still on the roster come training camp in July 2020, I'd be VERY surprised if Joe Burrow is not also there. Barring a major injury to him between now and the draft, Burrow will be drafted by the Bengals. 

I don't know why people are worried about what the Bengals are going to do. There's nothing in the history of the Bengals to suggest that they are going to trade the pick or pick someone other than Burrow at #1OA.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 03:25 PM)Aland Wrote: The facts:

Dalton is a bad quarterback.
He is an awful, uninspiring leader
He wilts under pressure
He’s regressed
He locks into a single Pass catcher and forces the ball
He’s a terrible decision maker
He can’t extend plays
He panics and collapses under any minor pressure
He isn’t smart enough to improvise
And he’s a loser.

Only "fact" is that you do not know the definition of the word.

Yawn
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 03:54 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: If we can't agree that he is a loser can we agree that when it comes to advancing in the playoffs he isn't a winner?

Sure, if it makes you feel better. Personally, I attribute the playoff futility more to Marvin, though I recognize that Dalton definitely didn't help in most of the games. But, if you absolutely HAVE to trash the guy, go ahead and trash his playoff performances; it's not like he doesn't deserve the criticism.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 03:54 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Some people's definition of being a winner or loser are different and I can see how you see him as not being a loser but I can't see any way you could ever call him a winner. WE deserve a winner.

Dude won more games than he lost here. Yes, none of those were playoff wins, but there's no way you can call the guy a 'loser' and the definition of 'winner' is winning games. Dalton won games more than he lost/tied. Ergo, he's a winner. The only ones who claim Dalton isn't a winner either don't understand the English language and/or have to change the definition of the word.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 03:54 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote:  I can't see any way you could ever call him a winner. 

"If you, like eliminate all of the games Dalton won then he is a loser, derp."
Reply/Quote
The bengals have a winning record as a team Over the last 9 years.

Who cares? They are not a good organization. They too are a loser franchise.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 03:54 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: If we can't agree that he is a loser can we agree that when it comes to advancing in the playoffs he isn't a winner? With all his records he is nine games over .500 for his career. He is 0-4 in the years he went to the playoffs. Either you are winner or you aren't. Some people's definition of being a winner or loser are different and I can see how you see him as not being a loser but I can't see any way you could ever call him a winner. WE deserve a winner.

If you're going to use his playoff record to say that he's a loser in postseason, that's perfectly fair. However, doesn't that mean you would have to call him a winning regular season QB because that's also what his record says?
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 04:11 PM)Aland Wrote: The bengals have a winning record as a team Over the last 9 years.

Who cares?  They are not a good organization.  They too are a loser franchise.

Weak troll is weak.

C'mon, man, at least put a little effort into it.  
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 04:11 PM)Aland Wrote: The bengals have a winning record as a team Over the last 9 years.

Who cares?  They are not a good organization.  They too are a loser franchise.

Then why are you here?
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2020, 04:00 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Not really. Not when it comes to the 1st round of the draft, anyways. The closest thing to a "shocking" 1st round draft pick in the last few years was the John Ross pick but even then many pundits had us drafting him.

While I won't be surprised to see Dalton still on the roster come training camp in July 2020, I'd be VERY surprised if Joe Burrow is not also there. Barring a major injury to him between now and the draft, Burrow will be drafted by the Bengals. 

I don't know why people are worried about what the Bengals are going to do. There's nothing in the history of the Bengals to suggest that they are going to trade the pick or pick someone other than Burrow at #1OA.

Oh I think they'll draft Burrow.

I just think all of the other glaring things that need to be done will be glazed over.

No way do I think they'll change their lackluster approach to acquiring and moving players.

Mike Brown might treat himself to a saltine cracker and get a little wild.

That's about as far as they'll go.

Perhaps have a little sugar in his iced tea.

It's a free for all I tells ya!!!!
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote