Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.43 Average
Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet?
(04-27-2022, 11:29 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Don't be surprised if a safety is taken early to groom for a year behind Bates, then Bates walks next season.
Bengals will retain Bell, who should be quite a bit cheaper.

Bell is a free agent next year also.

We will be drafting a safety early, and maybe more than one during the draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 11:32 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Bell is a free agent next year also.

Yes I know Bell is a FA next year. But I think he has a higher likelihood of being retained than Bates due to cost.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Best case scenario for Bates with Hill here

Hill sucks all year and Bell has his best year as a Bengals. If he doesn’t get a big offer from us it would come from SOMEBODY

Worst case for Bates we tag him again, he gets injured or he has a down year and we take the offer we had for him this year off the table and make him a lower offer.

Best case for the Bengals is we tag him again and the Hill kid balls out
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 11:32 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Bell is a free agent next year also.

Bacause of his small size and great speed most people see Hill as a Free safety like Bates.  But he has actually played more in the role that Bell fills.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 01:47 AM)Housh Wrote: Best case scenario for Bates with Hill here

Hill sucks all year and Bell has his best year as a Bengals. If he doesn’t get a big offer from us it would come from SOMEBODY

Worst case for Bates we tag him again, he gets injured or he has a down year and we take the offer we had for him this year off the table and make him a lower offer.

Best case for the Bengals is we tag him again and the Hill kid balls out

Why tag him again? It looks pretty clear to me that the Bengals have made their offer to Bates, and that's that. I'd even rescind the tag that he's yet to sign.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 02:29 PM)jason Wrote: Why tag him again? It looks pretty clear to me that the Bengals have made their offer to Bates, and that's that. I'd even rescind the tag that he's yet to sign.

I'd say the writing is on the wall. He obviously wants more money than we feel he merits. Hill's selection only validated it to me
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 02:29 PM)jason Wrote: Why tag him again?

He'd have to play like Sean Taylor to get tagged again.

I don't see it happening.

But if he returns to form and plays like one of the top safeties in the league over the full season the Bengals might be willing to pay him more.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 02:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He'd have to play like Sean Taylor to get tagged again.

I don't see it happening.

But if he returns to form and plays like one of the top safeties in the league over the full season the Bengals might be willing to pay him more.

I don't dislike Bates. I'd just rather keep guys like Jonah and Higgins moving forward. If we just took his cheaper replacement last night, I'd just as soon roll with that.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Tiger

I believe in Katie Blackburn because I'll continue to say that she's a top three executive in the NFL that happens to be a woman. If Jessie wants to play hardball and continue to ask for top three money then he won't get a deal here. The deals given will never be detrimental to the future of the team. The last really bad deal was the Bryant deal and I haven't seen one since that wasn't front loaded. Can you remember one that really cost this team capitol in both salary cap & draft picks? I can't
Reply/Quote
Bates doesn't deserve whatever he's asking for. All he needs to do is be Jessie Bates III from the playoffs for an entire season and he'll get his money.
Reply/Quote
I believe Hill replaces Bates in 2023, so we should really enjoy this upcoming season where the bengals have both on the roster

Should be fun
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 04:18 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I believe Hill replaces Bates in 2023, so we should really enjoy this upcoming season where the bengals have both on the roster

Should be fun

Tiger

I agree Frank because we'll get his best football and if not then the organization was right. Sounds like a winner to me. I really like Bates and its a shame that his agent can't get him to do a Griffey paid forever deal! Guys should do paid forever deals like Bonillia & Griffey. Some don't know that Griffey is still being paid from the Reds.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 12:58 AM)pulses Wrote: I agree draft his replacement( Dax Hill or Kerby Joseph) and let him walk or trade him to somebody.

Good call.

(04-27-2022, 11:29 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Don't be surprised if a safety is taken early to groom for a year behind Bates, then Bates walks next season.
Bengals will retain Bell, who should be quite a bit cheaper.

Good call 2.0
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I like Bates,  but in early years was soft tackling. Yes, he has gotten better, but still misses a lot of tackles. But, my biggest issue with Jessie Bates saying the lack of a long term contract caused him to not play well (not give 100% effort) in the 2021 regular season. Think back, early in 2021 we were coming off a horrible year and did not start out well.

It took the team to start playing better for Bates to start playing better. That should never happen, that is how you lose respect in the locker room so if we pay him top 5 safety money when he was not a top 5 safety, the FO looks soft in their approach.

I think if Bates would have played and given all out effort every game in 2021, the Bengals FO would be more willing to compensate him, but truth be known, he did not and he said as much.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Like I said, hopefully we're just waiting until after the draft to get all that money out of the way and then make sure we don't still have needs that we need to spend big money on because, if we take Bates contract off the books, we should have something like 22 million to spend. We could maybe give him 15 per and then maybe even give Bell a nice contract because we'd have 13 mil to spend once we took Bell's contract off the books and gave him a new one.

I hope I'm right that we're just waiting to see how much money we have!
Reply/Quote
Bengals need to see if they can trade Bates (preferably to an NFC team) for a mid-2nd and then package what they get for him along with a mid pick or a mid and late pick to get to the top of the 2nd round and get Andrew Booth Jr.

If they come out out of the first two rounds of the draft with Dax Hall, Andrew Booth Jr, and one of Trey McBride/A Center (Jurgens?)/Coby Bryant with their original 2nd... that'd be a hell of a draft.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 05:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bengals need to see if they can trade Bates (preferably to an NFC team) for a mid-2nd and then package what they get for him along with a mid pick or a mid and late pick to get to the top of the 2nd round and get Andrew Booth Jr.

If they come out out of the first two rounds of the draft with Dax Hall, Andrew Booth Jr, and one of Trey McBride/A Center (Jurgens?)/Coby Bryant with their original 2nd... that'd be a hell of a draft.
That's a great idea!
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 04:52 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Like I said, hopefully we're just waiting until after the draft to get all that money out of the way and then make sure we don't still have needs that we need to spend big money on because, if we take Bates contract off the books, we should have something like 22 million to spend. We could maybe give him 15 per and then maybe even give Bell a nice contract because we'd have 13 mil to spend once we took Bell's contract off the books and gave him a new one.

I hope I'm right that we're just waiting to see how much money we have!

Bates is gone after this year. It's not that hard to figure out. They can't pay him and Jonah and Higgins and Pratt and Wilson. Some will be gone and others will be traded like they were last night.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 05:19 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bengals need to see if they can trade Bates (preferably to an NFC team) for a mid-2nd and then package what they get for him along with a mid pick or a mid and late pick to get to the top of the 2nd round and get Andrew Booth Jr.

he has to sign the contract first
Reply/Quote