Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.43 Average
Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet?
(05-03-2022, 12:07 PM)pally Wrote:

Jesse Bates is getting what he deserves; top 3 money, and a chance to show out for some team crazy enough to pay what his camp wants.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 12:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: he has to sign the contract first

You can set up deals while it's unsigned, it's just that while it's unsigned the player has say in where he goes (because he has to agree to sign it in order for the deal to be finalized). The Packers did the same with Adams.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Because he didn’t produce at an elite level outside a handful of games. He even admitted that he “lacked focus” during the first half of the year. Now he’s skipping the voluntary workouts. Barring a huge turnaround next year, he shouldn’t be here in 2023.
Reply/Quote
Wanting the moon, stars and sun are one thing..Getting the moon, stars and sun are quite another.. This team is probably heading into cap space heck in the next few years..They can't make gazillionaires out of everyone..  How many Joe Burrow's and JaMarr Chase's is Jessie worth exactly? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2022, 07:08 PM)pulses Wrote: Bates is gone after this year. It's not that hard to figure out. They can't pay him and Jonah and Higgins and Pratt and Wilson. Some will be gone and others will be traded like they were last night.

Makes you wonder if the Bengals actually pull the trigger to trade guys for high picks especially if we go to the SB again this season.. Without trades it becomes more difficult to upgrade talent with pick#'s 31 or 32 year after year..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
How much more is Bates worth than Reid (signed with KC for 10 million a year) and Mathieu who signed 3 year deal for 33 million?

Does Bates deserve to paid top 5 safety money in 2022 and beyond?

He gets 13 million in 2022, which is more than the two guys I mentioned above. In my opinion, he deserves a 4 year 45 to 47 million deal with 50% guaranteed.

I think that is a fair price, but I am not Bates or his agent nor do I makes decisions in the FO.

The concern I have is why did he lose focus in a contract year? That is worrisome to me, but he is young and hopefully learned a lesson from it.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 11:25 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: How much more is Bates worth than Reid (signed with KC for 10 million a year) and Mathieu who signed 3 year deal for 33 million?

He gets 13 million in 2022, which is more than the two guys I mentioned above. In my opinion, he deserves a 4 year 45 to 47 million deal with 50% guaranteed.

I think that is a fair price, but I am not Bates or his agent nor do I makes decisions in the FO.

The concern I have is why did he lose focus in a contract year? That is worrisome to me, but he is young and hopefully learned a lesson from it.

It stinks, the team has tried.  If he leaves, this one is on him.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 11:21 AM)grampahol Wrote: Makes you wonder if the Bengals actually pull the trigger to trade guys for high picks especially if we go to the SB again this season.. Without trades it becomes more difficult to upgrade talent with pick#'s 31 or 32 year after year..

Might be the way to go if they get good trade package like KC did.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 11:25 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: How much more is Bates worth than Reid (signed with KC for 10 million a year) and Mathieu who signed 3 year deal for 33 million?

Rumors were his agent was asking for 18-20m a year.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 02:39 PM)pulses Wrote: Rumors were his agent was asking for 18-20m a year.

Another Rumor is going around on social media, bengals offered something like 5 year 70 mil deal, and it was the guaranteed that held up deal.  Bates publically contradicted his agent and said he did not need to be paid like a top safety, whatever that means.  It may come down to Higgins vs. Bates, I don't think Bengals can afford both and also keep Burrow and Chase.  I hope Higgins has a monster year, as well as Bates.  It will interesting to see if Bengals keep both.  

Another thing, I don't think the 2022 draft means Bates is gone.  It could mean that Vonn Bell is gone however.  I think Bates, Hill, Britt makes it very tough to throw against Bengals.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 02:39 PM)pulses Wrote: Rumors were his agent was asking for 18-20m a year.

Makes me wonder what the Bengals would offer - bottom line, and what he'd accept.

Hard not knowing what actually has been offered and what is Jessie's bottom line.  But to me 15 and 50% guaranteed would be a great number.   I'd say 30 million guaranteed would be enough to live on, a respectable reward for his excellent play and worth it for the Bengals to keep him as one of the cornerstones of the team.  I really don't see safety worth over 15 mil a year.  But it's what the market says it is.

That's what I liked about players who said they had a bottom line - and they were good with that.  It was not just the most they could get, but there has to be some sort of respect for what the player has done.

I fear he'll be gone.   Makes me sad.  He's a great player.
Reply/Quote

If that's the case, it's absolutely time to move on.
Reply/Quote

Actually I can see it.   It depends on the player, but this feels like he felt so unsettled and underappreciated he just could not get past it, and it meddled with his thinking.   Some players get lazy when they get paid, others are stimulated by the confidence their team showed and the financial stability - on top of not constantly being in bargaining/ justifying mode.
Reply/Quote

That simply cannot logically be true unless they were only asking for a 1 to 2 year deal. That number just doesn’t match his ability. The 5 year 70 million number that i remember hearing months ago and just sounds legit. Especially considering we also heard only like half was guaranteed. That would also make sense as to why Jesse would’ve have signed it. If he was offered 5yr 70 million fully guaranteed then there’s nothing to discuss, he would have signed it imo.

Bates needs his money guaranteed. And I’m with him on that. I would never sign an incentive laden deal if i were in my prime
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 02:54 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Another Rumor is going around on social media, bengals offered something like 5 year 70 mil deal, and it was the guaranteed that held up deal.  Bates publically contradicted his agent and said he did not need to be paid like a top safety, whatever that means.  It may come down to Higgins vs. Bates, I don't think Bengals can afford both and also keep Burrow and Chase.  I hope Higgins has a monster year, as well as Bates.  It will interesting to see if Bengals keep both.  

Another thing, I don't think the 2022 draft means Bates is gone.  It could mean that Vonn Bell is gone however.  I think Bates, Hill, Britt makes it very tough to throw against Bengals.  

I definitely believe Bates is gone. When you draft like we did someone has to go  and they will keep Higgins over Bates. They have people in place to take his spot they have NOBODY in place to take Higgins spot. Bell is making like 6 million a year and his price won't go up that much. Keep in mind they have to pay Jonah and Pratt too.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 02:56 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: If that's the case, it's absolutely time to move on.
Absolutely and also like someone else stated i'm worried about him losing focus for a year. If that's the case whose to say after he gets paid he doesn't do it again?
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2022, 03:04 PM)Housh Wrote: That simply cannot logically be true unless they were only asking for a 1 to 2 year deal. That number just doesn’t match his ability. The 5 year 70 million number that i remember hearing months ago and just sounds legit. Especially considering we also heard only like half was guaranteed. That would also make sense as to why Jesse would’ve have signed it. If he was offered 5yr 70 million fully guaranteed then there’s nothing to discuss, he would have signed it imo.

Bates needs his money guaranteed. And I’m with him on that. I would never sign an incentive laden deal if i were in my prime
I would never fully guarantee a contract to anybody who can't stay focused and it affects their game. He hasn't been good enough or consistent enough to garner any kind of fully guaranteed deal.
Reply/Quote
Players cant guarantee they will keep playing at a high level, or keep from getting injured, or even let something get to their heads that has a negative impact on their game. Guaranteed money contracts wont last long because it doesnt make sense at all from a business perspective given the nature of the sport. The Browns are going to take their pill for giving up so much for Watson and then giving him a contract like that. It will be ugly.

Bates not showing up for ota is just giving Dax a better chance of stealing his job. If he wants to get paid like a top 3 S, you sure cant tell by his actions. I've always liked Bates, but it seems like the writing is on the wall. If we keep one of the veteran S's it will be Bell, imo. Bell is more of an alpha leader type anyway which is big.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2022, 12:07 PM)pally Wrote:

Not aiming this at you, Pally, but this isn't news. Players always want players to get paid as much as possible. I'm sure everyone on the Packers supported Rodgers getting that ludicrous contract, but then the Packers had to make a tough choice and trade arguably the best WR in football.

The FO has to do what's best for the team regardless of what the players think. They're always going to want $50 million/year contracts for everyone anyway.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I would hope they find a mid ground and sign him. Just because we drafted high picks to the defensive backfield, doesn’t mean they will work out. Roughly 50% of first rounders are busts and each round after exponentially more don’t work out.

Bates is proven. That said, last year didn’t command top $. Find a compromise and sign him

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote