Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.43 Average
Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet?
Negotiating ploy
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Cut him? Definitely dont need any distractions.
Reply/Quote
He’ll play this season under the tag

I guarantee it
Reply/Quote
Unfortunate, if he played the regular season like he did in the playoffs he would deserve every cent of what he’s wanting but he was too hot and cold.

We called his bluff drafting Dax who will be ready week one. He can either sign and make more money than he has in his career or sit out the year become an afterthought to us and we get the cap back next year.

What I don’t want is for him to sign it and half arse it this year no good for him or us.

Win/win for us really, ball is in his court.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 08:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Watson didn't sit out. Houston essentially paid him to not play. They inactivated him every week.

Hmm. That’s not the way that I remember it. I remember him requesting a trade and not getting one, so he refused to play. I’m not able to verify that right now, though.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 07:51 PM)CincinnatiKid Wrote: Well if he’s foolish enough…or I should say his agent…to play this game then the Bengals should tag him next year too and make him sit out of the league with zero income for 2 years and see how he likes that

I'd rather just cut bait. He's not worth what he's asking, and he's already shown some shoddy professionalism this past season. It's probably best for both parties to move on. His replacement is already here.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 08:32 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Hmm. That’s not the way that I remember it. I remember him requesting a trade and not getting one, so he refused to play. I’m not able to verify that right now, though.

I agree with Pistons. He did want a trade I believe. But then all the allegations came out. The Texans chose not to play him last year.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 08:38 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I agree with Pistons. He did want a trade I believe. But then all the allegations came out. The Texans chose not to play him last year.

Okay, cool. Then I must be misremembering. Thanks guys.
Reply/Quote
Pro Bowl quarterback Deshaun Watson, who has a standing trade request and 22 civil lawsuits alleging sexual misconduct and 10 active criminal complaints with no charges filed, is inactive for the final time of the regular season. The Texans are expected to renew their efforts to trade the three-time Pro Bowl selection and NFL passing yardage leader from a year ago during the offseason when there's more clarity on his legal outlook. They nearly traded him to the Miami Dolphins, his preferred destination, at the NFL trading deadline.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/texans/.amp/news/preview-davis-mills-houston-upset-titans-super-bowl-deshaun-watson
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 07:40 PM)GodFather Wrote: Stupid question here, how does the league handle a player who refuses to play? What steps and actions do they take?

In this case, there are no actions the Bengals or the league can take.

Bates is a FA and not signed to any team.  The FT just means the Bengals have the right to match any offer Bates agrees to with another team and are entitled to two first round picks if they choose not to match.  Bates has no obligation to sign the one year tender that comes with the FT.  He is fully within his rights to decline the one year tender and sit out the season.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
At least we drafted secondary a lot so if Bates really wants to holdout we're not without options.
Reply/Quote
Poor Jessie. First world problem.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 07:50 PM)Tony Wrote: Multiples reports including USA today saying Bates will not play under the tag. Trade his ass.

Actually it is multiple media outlets reporting the same claim from just one source "an anonymous person close to the situation".

This means "agent".  And it is a response to the Bengals taking DBs in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

Just blowing smoke.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 08:37 PM)jason Wrote: I'd rather just cut bait. He's not worth what he's asking, and he's already shown some shoddy professionalism this past season. It's probably best for both parties to move on. His replacement is already here.

The pro of a cut or trade is it allows us to use the cap space. Otherwise we have to hold it incase he returns.
Reply/Quote
On one hand, I understand wanting long term security.

On the other hand, know your worth. He isn’t the best safety in the game. Anything more than $13-$15 a year on a long term contract with a significant amount of gtd money is too much. 3 years 40-45m, 20m gtd feels about right.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 09:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The pro of a cut or trade is it allows us to use the cap space. Otherwise we have to hold it incase he returns.

Hence the reason I wanted us to cut bait and sign mathieu for so long. While bates may be better for our system, I’d like to think we could have got mathieu for what the saints paid.

3 years 27m, with an additional 6m in incentives.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 09:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually it is multiple media outlets reporting the same claim from just one source "an anonymous person close to the situation".

This means "agent".  And it is a response to the Bengals taking DBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Just blowing smoke.

When there is smoke there is fire.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 09:37 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: When there is smoke there is fire.

Actually, no, there isn't.  That is why we have the term "smoke screen".

I'll be concerned if Bates makes a public statement that he won't play under the tag this year.  Until then it is just the same second-hand anonymous BS we here from 90% of the players that get tagged.  None of them like it.  99% of them don't miss any games holding out.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 09:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually it is multiple media outlets reporting the same claim from just one source "an anonymous person close to the situation".

This means "agent".  And it is a response to the Bengals taking DBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Just blowing smoke

Actually we took DBs in the 1st and 2nd rounds
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Think some people are overreacting to this. It looks like this will be a long drawn out process. This is negotiating tactic. Odds of him not playing this year are very low. I don’t know how it ultimately plays out, but he’s going to be playing one way or another.

It’s best to just ignore this kind of “news” until something official happens.
Reply/Quote