Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.43 Average
Why the **** is Jessie Bates not signed yet?
I just read that Jessie Bates still hasn't signed his franchise tender and hasnt shown up to workouts.

I find this interesting. Is he not signing the tender because hes pissed, or because they are still possibly negotiating?
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2022, 05:18 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Seriously, why?

He himself has said he doesn't want to be the highest paid safety in the league. Taking that into account, the Bengals can absolutely afford to take on his new contract and should pay him.

Look, I know this has been beaten to death, but hear me out...

The salary cap is set to EXPLODE in a year or two with the new TV deals kicking in, fans back in attendance, gambling money, and the amazon money coming in.

Shouldn't the Bengals be doing everything possible to sign their best players to extensions right now BEFORE the cap increases? That way they are paying guys relative to this years cap number which is smaller than the future cap number. You could almost get a discount on Bates by signing him now compared to the current cap number and before contracts are set to sky rocket.

People have this same theory about signing Burrow next off-season - why would we not apply it to Bates?

Look at Jalen Ramsey for example. The guy is the best CB in the league and signed a deal in 2020 - 100 million over 5 years with 10 million of that guaranteed. Denzel Ward who is an inferior player just got basically the same deal with the Browns with over 75 million of it guaranteed.

Do we see where this is going?

If the rumors are true and it's hung up on guaranteed money (say Bates want's 80% of it guaranteed) then the front office is truly ***** themselves. If you can't get by giving your best player on defense guaranteed money than you sure as hell aren't going to get by giving some of the best players in the NFL guaranteed money (Burrow, Chase).

Believe this: Its is goofy agent which he is very hard to deal with,he is an as----hole and the front office has tried many times to get this deal done.Until his goofy agent comes to terms,its going to drag on, and you know how insane our front office is,they are just like their dad.stubborn.
I believe its going to get done next couple of weeks.Meanwhile all of us need to send texts,letters and so on to bang on them to get it done.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 02:26 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I just read that Jessie Bates still hasn't signed his franchise tender and hasnt shown up to workouts.

I find this interesting. Is he not signing the tender because hes pissed, or because they are still possibly negotiating?

It's possible the Bates situation pans out like Le'Veon Bell situation in PIT.
Bell landed a pretty good contract with NYJ even though he sat out a year.
If Bates performs poorly in the regular season again and/or gets injured, it could really affect his long-term contract.

Luckily, Bengals have their contingency plan in Dax Hill.

If Bates doesn't sign his tender, that's $12.9 mill back on the 2022 cap that can either be used this year or rolled over into next year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 02:26 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I just read that Jessie Bates still hasn't signed his franchise tender and hasnt shown up to workouts.

This plays out occasionally with franchise tagged players. They get mad. They don't sign. They miss voluntary workouts. Then, some miss camp.

He's likely not thrilled that the Bengals drafted a Safety in Round 1.

I don't know.

I'd guess that he'll play if you forced me to predict. But I doubt he shows up to the voluntary workouts.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 03:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd guess that he'll play if you forced me to predict. But I doubt he shows up to the voluntary workouts.

This.

Not only will he play, but he will most probably be here for all of training camp.  Our front office just delivered a Super Bowl appearance.  It is a tough time for Bates to get any leverage against them.

And it is no big deal.  The team is not going to be that upset about him missing voluntary workouts.  It happens all the time.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 03:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

Not only will he play, but he will most probably be here for all of training camp.  Our front office just delivered a Super Bowl appearance.  It is a tough time for Bates to get any leverage against them.

And it is no big deal.  The team is not going to be that upset about him missing voluntary workouts.  It happens all the time.

Yep. At some point 'voluntary' works because 'mandatory' in peoples minds.  Yawn
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 04:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. At some point 'voluntary' works because 'mandatory' in peoples minds.  Yawn

but only for those under Contract and Bates isnt lol
Reply/Quote
Per Tyler Dragon, Bates has no intention of playing under the franchise tag. He will not be attending OTAs or training camp without a new contract.

EDIT - https://mobile.twitter.com/thetylerdragon/status/1526323107471818753
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 07:23 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Per Tyler Dragon, Bates has no intention of playing under the franchise tag. He will not be attending OTAs or training camp without a new contract.

Dax season. 
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
Unfortunate, but not altogether unexpected. Good to have Dax Hill for the worst-case scenario.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 07:23 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Per Tyler Dragon, Bates has no intention of playing under the franchise tag. He will not be attending OTAs or training camp without a new contract.

Playing under the franchise tag will get him almost double the cash that he’s earned over his first four years. I imagine that although he may not be happy with the situation, the money will eventually win out. I can’t see him turning down a 13million dollar contract, even if it is just for one year.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
If Bates isn't bluffing, and he sits, and we're not close to re-signing him, why wouldn't you trade him, free up some cap and look into bringing back Ogunjobi or even Bradberry?
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
Stupid question here, how does the league handle a player who refuses to play? What steps and actions do they take?
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 07:40 PM)GodFather Wrote: Stupid question here, how does the league handle a player who refuses to play? What steps and actions do they take?

Nothing. Deshaun Watson sat out all last season on his own decision. Other players have done this too. They just don’t play.
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 07:40 PM)GodFather Wrote: Stupid question here, how does the league handle a player who refuses to play? What steps and actions do they take?

Well, technically he isn’t under contract. The Bengals just have the rights to that contract. The league can’t make him do anything. Even if he had just signed a new 5 year deal, then decided he didn’t want to play, I don’t think there is much that the NFL is gonna do about that.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 07:30 PM)Bengalpool Wrote: If Bates isn't bluffing, and he sits, and we're not close to re-signing him, why wouldn't you trade him, free up some cap and look into bringing back Ogunjobi or even Bradberry?

Can’t trade him unless he signs the tag.

Reply/Quote
Multiples reports including USA today saying Bates will not play under the tag. Trade his ass..
Reply/Quote
Well if he’s foolish enough…or I should say his agent…to play this game then the Bengals should tag him next year too and make him sit out of the league with zero income for 2 years and see how he likes that
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 07:50 PM)Tony Wrote: Multiples reports including USA today saying Bates will not play under the tag. Trade his ass..

Again - you can’t trade a player who’s not currently under contract. It would have to be a sign and trade, so Bates would have to agree to it.

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2022, 07:43 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Nothing. Deshaun Watson sat out all last season on his own decision. Other players have done this too. They just don’t play.

Watson didn't sit out. Houston essentially paid him to not play. They inactivated him every week.
Reply/Quote