Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wolf's Scouting Reports
Every year I always do an in depth scouting report on the players we draft. Sure, I do scouting reports on players beforehand, but I never really post them.

So this year I'm going to post scouting reports in this thread. They won't be as in depth as they normally are at the end of the draft. But will be nice snippets and hopefully you guys like them.

Also, if there are certain players you would like a scouting report on or have any thoughts on any players, feel free to let me know. I don't know everything and don't watch every player. I'd like to think I know quite a bit, but I'm no professional.

So, here's to the 2017 NFL Draft.

Players Scouted
Derek Barnett, DE. Tennessee
Jonathan Allen, DE/DT. Alabama
Malik Hooker, S. Ohio State University
Mike Williams, WR. Clemson
Solomon Thomas, DE. Stanford
Zach Cunningham, LB. Vanderbilt
Reuben Foster, LB. Alabama
Takkarist McKinley, DE/OLB. UCLA
Demarcus Walker, DE. Florida State University
Corey Davis, WR. Western Michigan
Taco Charlton, DE. Michigan
Cam Robinson, OT. Alabama
Raekwon McMillan, OLB/ILB. Ohio State University
John Ross, WR. Washington
Joe Mixon, RB. Oklahoma
Marcus Maye, S. Florida
Charles Harris, DE/OLB. Missouri
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Keep it up Wolf and one day you may be a pro. I'd like to get your views on a couple favs:

Malik Hooker

Takkarist McKinley
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Derek Barnett, DE. Tennessee

Pros: Thick frame. Has produced every year he's played, including as a true freshman. Set school records such as most sacks and tackle for losses as a true freshman. Also surpassed Reggie White's sack record at Tennessee. Stats are eye popping (double digits sacks every year), but it's his technique that sets him apart. A true pass rusher who can use his hands frequently. Even if grabbed up, Barnett continues to fight and has a motor that doesn't end. Quick off the snap of the ball and can bend naturally around the corner. Maintains the edge and has great lower body technique that can allow offensive lineman to keep their feet moving. One of the things that doesn't show up on the stat line is his ability to take away running lanes and forces half backs to change direction. Watching tape, he blows up plays and has helped other teammates get tackles for losses. Very versatile, has moved from side to side. Also has long arms and has some of the best hand techniques you'll see in a defensive end.

Cons: Quick, but not explosive speed. Also not exactly a twitch kind of guy. Guesses snap counts and has been penalized. He relies on jumping the snap more than he should. This could cause more penalties in the NFL, however if he can master the snap count, he could be really good. Sometimes he plays too high. He has lower body strength to help counter it, but some offensive lineman can use this to their advantage and keep him out of plays. A big issue is before his junior season, he would use his shoulders more than he should rather than use his hands. He also had trouble finishing plays earlier in his career. Might be asked to gain weight, so unsure if that could hinder his play.

Overall: Barnett has all the potential to be one of the best defensive players from this draft. He is a natural pass rusher that could give offenses nightmares for years to come. Every aspect of his game has gotten better as years have gone on. Bengals may not like him due to his size. They seem to favor guys that are tall (1 out of 6 defensive ends are 6'6 or taller). Barnett has everything you want in a pass rusher, especially with a motor like his. He is my personal favorite for the Bengals

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 07:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Keep it up Wolf and one day you may be a pro. I'd like to get your views on a couple favs:

Malik Hooker

Takkarist McKinley

Hooker is certainly someone I want to scout. I've watched tape of him, but definitely need more. He's probably my favorite safety in this class.

McKinley is someone who's very intriguing to me. I've only watched one game with him and he's someone who I've heard as a rising player.

Reply/Quote
Well, I'm going to ask you about Soloman Thomas at Stanford who seems to be rising in the draft mocks. He plays as a 3/4 De, but sometimes he gets to play in a 4/3 on passing downs. He seems to line up inside at times also. He looks really good on stunts, looks like a solid run defender, but doesn't look like he has much twitch. Anywho. I've seen him appearing in the top twenty lately.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 08:31 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Well, I'm going to ask you about Soloman Thomas at Stanford who seems to be rising in the draft mocks.  He plays as a 3/4 De, but sometimes he gets to play in a 4/3 on passing downs. He seems to line up inside at times also.  He looks really good on stunts, looks like a solid run defender, but doesn't look like he has much twitch.  Anywho.  I've seen him appearing in the top twenty lately.

He kind of reminds me of Michael Bennett. Just hard nosed 100 mile an hour player. He is like a younger roided up version of Gilberry with a massive ceiling. 

The more i see the more i like. He is quickly becoming a favorite. I have a lot of respect for stanfords HC and he raves about Solomon.
Reply/Quote
Jonathan Allen, DE/DT. Alabama

Pros: Arguably the best pass rusher in this class once looking at all the moves he can do. Very strong at the point of attack, can use strength or speed to win matchups. Can shed blocks easily with the use of his hands. Fights every play. Also has the patience to move where he needs to and shows great football intelligence and instincts. Great closing speed and finishes plays. Strong lower body allows him to not give up ground. Some of the most violent hands you'll see from any defensive player. Has rare explosiveness off of the ball. Gained weight throughout football career but plays extremely well with the weight. Versatile, as he's lined up as every position in the front four and has had success. Great gap control against the run. Great closing speed. His pass rushing moves are already at a NFL level. He knows so many and does them all extremely well.

Cons: Has a number of cleanup sacks. Sometimes against the run, if his first move doesn't work he can get pushed off the line of scrimmage. Light for an interior lineman and not the greatest length. Doesn't always turn his hips and sink them as an ideal 4-3 defensive end would. Seems to be more of a cleanup guy at times rather than taking over games. Doesn't have the highest ceiling, but a very safe pick and would at the worst be an above average player.

Summary: Allen has been asked to gain weight and still play at a high level, and he produced. What the Bengals lacked from their defensive line in 2016 was the ability to finish plays; and that's all Allen does. Rarely does he overpursue or miss a tackle, but rather he forces offenses to try and keep someone on him at all times. The biggest question is, where do the Bengals put him if they were to get him? Could see him used as a Wallace Gilberry type of player who moves from DE to DT. But where does he play most of the game? Because he's certainly not a rotational guy.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2017, 08:31 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Well, I'm going to ask you about Soloman Thomas at Stanford who seems to be rising in the draft mocks.  He plays as a 3/4 De, but sometimes he gets to play in a 4/3 on passing downs. He seems to line up inside at times also.  He looks really good on stunts, looks like a solid run defender, but doesn't look like he has much twitch.  Anywho.  I've seen him appearing in the top twenty lately.

Thomas is DEFINITELY someone I want to take a harder look at. I like what he's been doing but I need more tape to see the level of consistency he has and what he does. I've liked what I've seen so far. Think the combine will do his stock well.

Reply/Quote
Cool little write up Wolf. Looking to see more reports on several other players.
Reply/Quote
Would love a write up on raquan McMillan lb all the draft pundits say his weakness is pass protection but when I watch I don't see it. I know he is elite in stopping the run though.
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see a write-up on Taco Charlton and Marcus Maye.  Rumor has it that Charlton isn't going to make it past the top 16 of the first, and he definitely fits the profile of Bengals defensive ends.  I wouldn't be disappointed in the least if they took him at 9.  Maye caught my eye as a guy who just might fit the missing center-fielder role and he's currently graded around the 3rd round.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 06:04 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I'd like to see a write-up on Taco Charlton and Marcus Maye.  Rumor has it that Charlton isn't going to make it past the top 16 of the first, and he definitely fits the profile of Bengals defensive ends.  I wouldn't be disappointed in the least if they took him at 9.  Maye caught my eye as a guy who just might fit the missing center-fielder role and he's currently graded around the 3rd round.
Jw where u saw that on Taco I havent seen him taken anywhere until around 30  most times its early-mid second
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 06:29 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Jw where u saw that on Taco I havent seen him taken anywhere until around 30  most times its early-mid second

CBS has him at #15 right now - ahead of Barnett.  Kiper said that he was a potential first rounder in December.  This article is vague, but says that his stock is rising: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000747782/article/stock-report-ums-taco-charlton-lsus-malachi-dupre-rising
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2017, 07:12 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: CBS has him at #15 right now - ahead of Barnett.  Kiper said that he was a potential first rounder in December.  This article is vague, but says that his stock is rising: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000747782/article/stock-report-ums-taco-charlton-lsus-malachi-dupre-rising
As of a couple weeks ago had never seen him as more than a low first early second but not surprised by Barnett have been saying u can get Walker at second round and get the same level of play but anyways. I know he(taco)had a big game against osu pos line. 
Reply/Quote
Malik Hooker, S. Ohio State University

Pros: Outstanding speed and has the ability to close on the ball almost effortlessly. Has great timing and anticipation to make a play on the ball or opponent. Quick burst and is able to tackle opponents without needing a running start. He's long and quick, which is becoming something defensive coordinators covet in the secondary, especially with his skill set. Smooth hips and can transition easily. Attacks the highest point of the ball rather than waiting for it to come to him. Some of the best instincts you'll see in a safety. Very athletic and always tries to make a play. A turnover machine and someone who consistently makes splash plays. Continues to play through the whistle, including plays where he comes from the secondary to help make a cleanup tackle. Closing speed is great and shows to have a strong lower body by being able to plant his foot and move to another spot in a quick pivot.

Cons: Can get too aggressive and take huge risks. Eyes get stuck in the backfield and he can get beaten on play action and double moves. His closing speed helped make up for that in college, but in the NFL there are much faster guys. Seems to struggle with misdirection plays. Needs to do better reading routes rather than the quarterbacks eyes. Inexperienced and still a little raw, as you can see early in his career. Takes odd angles and can over pursue or misread where he needs to go to make a tackle. Struggles mightily to get off of blocks. Needs to add more physicality to his play.

Overall: There's a ton of upside when it comes to Hooker. His biggest flaw is he is inexperienced and will have growing pains in the NFL. But he's also going to make plays during that time. He has every ability to become a star safety in the NFL, but it will come down to better techniques and learning. He's still a little raw considering he's only started in 13 games and played 19 total. But once watching his tape, you see the making of a star. He will have an impact coming into the league, both good and bad. But once he gets the understanding of the game, he will have mostly good with few errors. If you want a play maker in your secondary, you draft this kid.

Reply/Quote
Mike Williams, WR. Clemson

Pros: A play maker and makes clutch catches. Lines up in numerous areas and shows the ability to do different types of routes. Great frame and is built into his 6'4 self rather than lanky. Physical and fights for the ball. Arguably the best catch radius in the draft and can catch away from his body. Great speed especially with someone of his size. Able to make people miss and create yards after the catch. Back shoulder throws are a thing of beauty with him. Great body control and leaping ability. Even after an injury, he's not afraid to go into the middle of the field and make tough catches. Strong hands and can fight the ball away from defenders.

Cons: Focus drops, while he makes amazing catches that are contested, he also drops easy ones. Doesn't exactly possess blazing speed and sometimes struggles with separation, especially if he isn't physical with them. While he's lined up numerous places, his route running isn't the greatest. He shows the ability to learn the routes, but his feet still need work. Not really a blocker who sustains them, but rather tries to make a pop. Also a worry with the neck injury he had.

Overall: Mike Williams has every chance to be a great receiver in the NFL. He greatly improved from 2015 and got better this year even after his injury. He may not have the speed you want in a #1, but neither did Anquan Boldin. He's a clutch player and made some great catches away from his body. His size and strength is something scouts will drool over as he fills out his frame very well. He's the #1 receiver in this draft, the only question is how will his route running fare in the next level and can he polish it? He has the ability to be a #1 wide receiver, but it may take time for him to make an impact.

Reply/Quote
Have you heard anything from the Bengals? Or reached out to any scouts to get some OJT experience?  The good ol' boy system is now called "networking."  You need to start because most job openings, in general, go unadvertised and are filled because somebody knows somebody. Good luck.
Reply/Quote
Solomon Thomas, DE. Stanford

Pros: Extremely powerful and beats with technique rather than just relying on strength. Demanded double teams in every game he's played, and has also shown a consistency in the ability to beat them. More agile than you would think and can fill gaps. Plays balanced and offers good pursuit on the ball. He plays well against both the run and pass. Versatile and has played in numerous spots. He's young and shows a ton of potential. Uses his hands consistently and fights every play. A very good motor and fights every play. Is a bully and will push offensive lineman aside. Has very good timing off the line of scrimmage.

Cons: Doesn't possess great speed and sometimes has trouble closing in on plays quickly. Against bigger offensive lineman he will struggle. Has some raw aspects, such as pass rushing moves. Not the most athletic player. Only 6'3 and doesn't have the ideal size for someone who lacks the pass rushing ability. May have trouble as a pass rusher in the next level until he refines his pass rushing moves.

Overall: Thomas possesses the strength, consistency, motor, and versatility scouts dream of. He's still young and can be a great player in the next level. He will need to be coached to gain better technique in the pass rush, but hes agile and nimble enough to squeeze double teams. Thomas has all the signs and ability to be a star at the NFL level, it's just a question as to where does he lineup and what system? He shows an ability to read offenses and could step in day 1 and make plays. The best part is he has an ability to get better as time goes on. A huge sleeper who can make a statement in the Combine.

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 07:25 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Have you heard anything from the Bengals? Or reached out to any scouts to get some OJT experience?  The good ol' boy system is now called "networking."  You need to start because most job openings, in general, go unadvertised and are filled because somebody knows somebody. Good luck.

No, they have not answered my email. I actually have talked to one scout and will hopefully be working with him. He mostly works with smaller schools, such as Nevada and Western Michigan, but he's also been someone who's scouted guys like Jayson DiManche.

Trying to get somewhere. Slowly but surely.

Reply/Quote
Zach Cunningham, LB. Vanderbilt

Pros: Lengthy, fast, and versatile. Has arguably the best closing speed I've seen personally while scouting these defensive players. Great eyes and can read and react quickly. Has great instincts and is explosive towards the ball. Ability to shed blockers at the point of attack and does not shy away from having to take on blocks. Rarely over pursues plays. Plays well in pass coverage and very good when it comes to zone as he has a feel for where the receiver is or is going. Has very good feet and hips when in contact with blocks. Delivers a pop when hitting the ball carrier. Always near the line of scrimmage and makes plays. Blows up plays consistently.

Cons: Sometimes plays too high and that leverage can take him out of plays if blocked in that stance. Needs to do a better job wrapping up the tackler rather than aiming high. That could also cause some penalties in the NFL level if he tackles high continuously. Also does arm tackles more than you'd like. Sometimes struggles to hit the ball carrier aggressively if he was blocked, thus leading to him slowing down the ball carrier rather than taking him down.

Overall: Cunningham is a stud and has every chance to be one of the best linebackers in the NFL. He can read offenses, take on blocks, shows intelligence, speed, and aggression. He isn't the perfect prospect, but if he were in a different team, people would be arguing whether he or Foster are the better prospect. May be better suited as a weak side linebacker, but has also shown the ability to be an inside linebacker. Cunnignham is a very intriguing prospect because he appears to have a high ceiling. Do not be surprised if you see Cunningham rise the boards and go within the top 15.

Reply/Quote