Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worst Case Offseason Scenario?
(12-20-2019, 02:03 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: I dont mind being gross really. 

Clearly, but that is worse really.

That stuff brings you bad karma bud.
Reply/Quote
Worst Case Scenario:

- If they stay:

Turner
Kirkpatshit
Dalton
Glenn
Price
Vigil

If they go:

Taylor (he needs another year to put his players in place, if he sucks in 2020 then bye Felicia. If we make a HC change after one year I think it would be a disaster)
Green (Burrow needs a top receiver to throw too, I say tag AJ and make him prove he can stay healthy)
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 03:23 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: Worst Case Scenario:

- If they stay:

Turner
Kirkpatshit
Dalton
Glenn
Price
Vigil

If they go:

Taylor (he needs another year to put his players in place, if he sucks in 2020 then bye Felicia. If we make a HC change after one year I think it would be a disaster)
Green (Burrow needs a top receiver to throw too, I say tag AJ and make him prove he can stay healthy)

What if I gave you an alternative?

AJ Green's tag is 18 million. He really wants a long term deal, which will very likely be $16+ mill a year for multiple years.
Rather than bring Green back, put that money toward Cory Littleton or an OL and then draft a WR on Day 2?
We've seen that WRs can come in as rookies and have a big impact, plus this is one of the best WR classes in years so the talent on Day 2 should be outstanding.

I think that's a better improvement than Green+rookie OL/LB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 03:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What if I gave you an alternative?

AJ Green's tag is 18 million. He really wants a long term deal, which will very likely be $16+ mill a year for multiple years.
Rather than bring Green back, put that money toward Cory Littleton or an OL and then draft a WR on Day 2?
We've seen that WRs can come in as rookies and have a big impact, plus this is one of the best WR classes in years so the talent on Day 2 should be outstanding.

The trouble is you solve one hole by creating a new one and the Bengals don't have enough draft picks to fill all their holes. That second round pick then stops you filling a different hole.

I think the Bengals will lack high draft picks more than cap room this off-season.

What the off-season will turn around is whether they can get a suitor for Dalton. Get a draft pick for him and get his $17m cap hit freed up and you can still sign Littleton and AJ Green, use that second round pick on protecting Burrow and still have the pick from the Dalton trade remaining.

What we need is Dalton to play lights out in a tie against Miami and then in a win against the Browns to drive up his trade value.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 04:25 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: The trouble is you solve one hole by creating a new one and the Bengals don't have enough draft picks to fill all their holes. That second round pick then stops you filling a different hole.

I think the Bengals will lack high draft picks more than cap room this off-season.

What the off-season will turn around is whether they can get a suitor for Dalton. Get a draft pick for him and get his $17m cap hit freed up and you can still sign Littleton and AJ Green, use that second round pick on protecting Burrow and still have the pick from the Dalton trade remaining.

What we need is Dalton to play lights out in a tie against Miami and then in a win against the Browns to drive up his trade value.

Correct but the intent is to 1) get a player in his prime (Littleton) vs someone who's been injured a lot the past few years and exiting his prime (AJ), and 2) going after a position in the draft with a really strong draft class vs one that doesn't really have a lot of great prospects (WR vs LB).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 04:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Correct but the intent is to 1) get a player in his prime (Littleton) vs someone who's been injured a lot the past few years and exiting his prime (AJ), and 2) going after a position in the draft with a really strong draft class vs one that doesn't really have a lot of great prospects (WR vs LB).

I can see the logic in that approach (that should also have been the strategy at the trade deadline) it's just I don't think re-signing Green precludes them from going after a player like Littleton as well.

With it being a strong WR draft I'd still look to draft a receiver but maybe look at utilizing a later pick if good WRs are going to fall because of the depth. Where re-signing AJ would help is that they wouldn't need to reach for someone at WR who can start immediately, they can instead target someone to eventually replace Ross (whose option won't be taken up for next year). There's always a premium on players who can start immediately, by forgoing the need for immediate impact you can get value later in the draft. Another Marvin Jones would certainly be nice.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 04:25 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: The trouble is you solve one hole by creating a new one and the Bengals don't have enough draft picks to fill all their holes. That second round pick then stops you filling a different hole.

But Free agency will happen ebfore the draft and they will have oppertunities to fill holes there more so if not paying a WR to not play.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 03:23 PM)WestCoastBengalsFan Wrote: Worst Case Scenario:

- If they stay:

Turner
Kirkpatshit
Dalton
Glenn
Price
Vigil

If they go:

(12-20-2019, 04:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Correct but the intent is to 1) get a player in his prime (Littleton) vs someone who's been injured a lot the past few years and exiting his prime (AJ), and 2) going after a position in the draft with a really strong draft class vs one that doesn't really have a lot of great prospects (WR vs LB).

(12-20-2019, 05:34 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I can see the logic in that approach (that should also have been the strategy at the trade deadline) it's just I don't think re-signing Green precludes them from going after a player like Littleton as well.

With it being a strong WR draft I'd still look to draft a receiver but maybe look at utilizing a later pick if good WRs are going to fall because of the depth. Where re-signing AJ would help is that they wouldn't need to reach for someone at WR who can start immediately, they can instead target someone to eventually replace Ross (whose option won't be taken up for next year). There's always a premium on players who can start immediately, by forgoing the need for immediate impact you can get value later in the draft. Another Marvin Jones would certainly be nice.

(12-20-2019, 05:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: But Free agency will happen before the draft and they will have opportunities to fill holes there more so if not paying a WR to not play.

I think in the end Xeno nailed it, cannot pay big money for a guy who is always injured even if I love AJ Green.

We can get a guy like Amari Cooper for big money who is young and a great Receiver in his own right if we want to do that.

Getting Littleton and a decent O-lineman in FA along with Burrow and an early WR in the Draft is the way i'd go.
Reply/Quote
I think worst case scenario is winning the last 2 games, missing out on Burrow, and management thinking things are figured out and keeping the roster the same.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 03:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Clearly, but that is worse really.

That stuff brings you bad karma bud.

Hasn't so far
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 12:29 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: That's pretty much my worst case scenario.

I don't need to see Zach Taylor go 3-36-1 like Hue Jackson in Cleveland before realizing a change needs to be made.

They need to give Ron Rivera the money and control needed to get him to coach in Cincinnati, but they don't have that type of leadership to pull off such a move.

I hear ya, a guy like Riverboat Ron could put this team back on the map, if given the same influence and inputs that Marvin was given.

But alas, as Bengal fans, we already know that our fate is "no changes".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 10:18 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Hasn't so far

Well you’re cursed to be a Bengals fan so I’m not so sure lol

Reply/Quote

I can get on board with this option too.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
I think that you have to do what you can to keep Billings, Green, and Hopkins so long as it's reasonable.

I think that it's time to move on from Dalton, Taylor, and all of the Miami Dolphin glory days pet hire types.  I've seen enough.  
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 10:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well you’re cursed to be a Bengals fan so I’m not so sure lol

True. But luckily ever other pro/college team I follow have won multiple championships - only 1 remains
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
The worst offseason scenario already happened last year.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2019, 11:09 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The worst offseason scenario already happened last year.

Haha. True. Couldn't have went much worse, could it?
Reply/Quote
I would say that news of Jonah's shoulder not recovering or him getting injured again this offseason would be pretty terrible too.
Reply/Quote
I think it's mandatory the fins win because..and you can take this to the bank, Cleveland is NOT going to do anything to ensure the bengals get the first pick in the draft. Anyone care to dispute this?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Worst offseason scenario in a nutshell is not having a coherent plan. Hobson has said that the plan was to build around AJ. That's a moronic plan, if still in place given his health of late.

What's the goal going into FA? DO nothing but sign marginal players and their own guys? Does the new staff now get an opportunity to build around what they've seen on the roster in 2019?

Is the family still trying to conjure the glory of 2015, or are they acknowledging that a rebuild is underway?
Reply/Quote