Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you make this deal?
Ken Broo brought up an interesting scenario. If the Bengals were presented with the chance to do this, would you be for it?

[Image: D2IRBtEXcAAbgZJ.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I’ll be absolutely blown away if AJ gets 20+ mil per year at the age of 32, but what do I know. I don’t particuarly like Haskins that much, but if Green is really seeking 20+ mil per year, then I would absolutely consider it. The issue would be if you drafted Haskins or whoever else, who is he throwing the ball too? The offense is considerably worse without AJ.

It may net a AB a you want, but you lose a majo weapon and don’t have enough weapons to make up for it.
Reply/Quote
Probably.

AJs increasing injuries worry me a bit. Amazing receiver, but the amount of money likely required for a guy in his 30s is probably more than is wise.

I would still roll with Dalton as the starter for 2019. I think a lot of QBs get a lot of benefit from sitting for at least a year (Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, Carson Palmer, Patrick Mahomes, etc) behind a solid or better vet QB.

Meanwhile starting a rookie behind a bad OL has proven to ruin QBs. So it would give the Bengals another year to try to not put such an embarassing OL out there for Haskins to play behind.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I disagree with his guess of AJ Greens next contract. Antonio Brown only got 3 year 50 mil 16.5 mil a year. I could see AJ getting 18 mil.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
That depends. Are we still keeping the #11 pick? If so, then I probably do. Then, I try to trade that number 11 pick for a later 1st and a 2nd (or something like that).

If the deal also costs us the 11 pick, then I probably don't. We need a high OT and LB, this year. If we just deal for taking a QB, we're still screwed.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 05:54 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Ken Broo brought up an interesting scenario. If the Bengals were presented with the chance to do this, would you be for it?

if the goal is a full blown rebuild with the drafting of a QB high in this draft then its a deal to make.

I don't see AJ asking for that much it could happen.. Hes never seemed to be about the money though.  No holdouts no Complaints. Just Class... 

As long as we offer him a fair deal I'm sure their wont be much issue.
Reply/Quote
I would do the deal, but not to take Haskins. I'd actually trade for the pick, then trade down and pick up extra picks this year and next. I think the return, especially for QB hungry teams trying to come up and get someone like Haskins would be more valuable.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
Here is the issue for some: Green is one of the good guys, he wants to retire a Bengal. Soft spoken, a team guy, an elite WR, lost it only once on the field but otherwise, a key component to offensive success.

But I would make this trade with the Jets. Bengals could get Haskins and White or Ford in round one. Then draft Risner OT or Lindstrom in round 2. Get Josh Oliver TE or that kid from OSU at WR in round 4.

Bengals get:
QB of the future
Talented backer or future elite guard/RT
Future LG/LT for future
TE in case Eifert is injured or WR to replace Green.

I would like to add, that if this were to occur, I would trade Dalton after this year and get more help. Dalton is steady and has displayed decent stats but I do not believe Dalton is Elite. Haskins may be a bust. He may not be elite either in the NFL, but Haskins would be cheaper, could make better deep throws, and his TD to INT ratio is great at the collegiate level.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
No way, Haskins ain't that good
Reply/Quote
I'm astounded at how many people are so determined to get rid of our best player.

Aw, hell with it. Let's just go full on suck mode and trade everybody and see how the how much people around here love the ten year rebuild. Get that rookie QB and MAYBE by the time we're ready to compete, his rookie deal will be over and by then, the going rate for QB's will be thirty plus mil a year.

Just remember how much fun last year's offense was without AJ and then picture him never being here. Yeah, that'll be a ball. Haskins with nobody to throw to. Woo Hoo!

I'd say careful what you wish for but the madness is too full on to even bother.

And AJ'll love it too. By the time the Jets are any good, he'll be forty.

And btw, does anybody really think the Jets would make that trade? The best receiver in the game brought in a third and fifth.. And nobody was trying to move up eight spots in the draft. People pay multiple first rounders for such a move.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
1- green isn't getting that.
2- no, I wouldn't
3- yes, I would trade green and our third or fourth for a top 10 pick. I just wouldn't take a qb with it. "Dalton to haskins" doesn't have a good ring.
Reply/Quote
Yes but I wouldn't draft a QB but I would draft whoever I felt was best between Bose, Williams, Allen, White, and Oliver.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Yes I would. If Taylor walks away from the next few weeks convinced that Haskins is his guy, make whatever move is necessary.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Wait a minute, I thought the plan was to tank for the Clemson kid??
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 06:59 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Yes but I wouldn't draft a QB but I would draft whoever I felt was best between Bose, Williams, Allen,  White, and Oliver.
And then who's gonna catch passes?  A double teamed Tyler Boyd? 

And that trade as laid out seems pretty far removed from reality.  Takes a lot more than that to move 8 spots at the top of the draft.  You're looking at at least two first rounders and then some.

Since this is all fantasy, I say trade John Ross and Cody Core for the first pick in the draft.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I would.

But why would the Jets?

AJ Green is in the final year of his contract.

Players aren't traded all that much in the NFL (unless they're crazy people, like Antonio Bryant), so it's hard to quantify what a 1 year contract is worth, but I know in MLB, a player on the final year of their contract are basically throw ins to trades.

Look at Tanner Roark, Matt Kemp, Yasiel Puig and Alex Wood for the Reds this year. Those contracts were all 1 year deals and were all dumped on the Reds just to save cap space, as their contracts had no intrinsic value.

Would it be different in the NFL?
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 06:35 PM)McC Wrote: And btw, does anybody really think the Jets would make that trade?  The best receiver in the game brought in a third and fifth..  And nobody was trying to move up eight spots in the draft.  People pay multiple first rounders for such a move.

The trade would have to be the 11th pick, AJ and a 3rd or 4th rounder to move up those 8 spots.

Also, the 'best receiver in the game' was coming with a whole lot of baggage.

One reason the Jets might not want to do though, is that AJ is on the final year of his deal.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 07:11 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The trade would have to be the 11th pick, AJ and a 3rd or 4th rounder to move up those 8 spots.

Also, the 'best receiver in the game' was coming with a whole lot of baggage.

The trade, as proposed by Ken Broo, would not involve the 11th pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 07:16 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: The trade, as proposed by Ken Broo, would not involve the 11th pick.

I didn't get a chance to actually listen to show, but I just assumed he was including the 11th pick...because there no way in hell that deal happens without it. AJ and a 3rd or 4th rounder aren't going to land the 3rd overall pick in the draft. 
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 07:21 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I didn't get a chance to actually listen to show, but I just assumed he was including the 11th pick...because there no way in hell that deal happens without it. AJ and a 3rd or 4th rounder aren't going to land the 3rd overall pick in the draft. 

Yea, I listened to it. He was saying you take Haskins at 3 and then have the 11th pick to pick a linebacker or maybe OT.

I see no reason why the Jets would do that trade, as I said, since 1 year contracts are basically worthless in MLB (Since they offer no ability to plan for the future).

I imagine the NFL sees 1 year deals similarly, granted they do have the franchise tag to extend 1 year deals for a bit.
Reply/Quote