Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Your the Owner! What do you do?
The state of the Bengals is depressing to say the least. I don’t understand how an owner can watch this mess and not do whatever it takes to at least try to fix some of the issues. Show some life, do something. Make some moves, try for a couple trades something. How is this Oline still an issue? How is it we can never have a LBer core that is legit? How does an owner accept the same issues year after year and be too stubborn to do whatever it takes to fix it.

So I ask you. You are the owner, what are the 5 things you would do to make this team better now.
Reply/Quote
Well, I don't see a fix to this season, but for better results:

1 ) I'd revamp the scouting department up to the league average. I'd basically look at the successful teams and copy what they do.
2 ) I'd fire Tobin and bring in the best available GM.
3 ) I would have hired Del Rio as DC. So in the offseason, fire Lou and bring Del Rio in.
4 ) I would use free agency more. Guys like Jordan Hicks and LJ Fort at LB and Saffold at Guard would have really help us this year.
5 ) I'd see what guys like Green and Atkins could fetch in a trade. IF some team offered a couple high picks with one being a 1st for either, I'd strongly consider it.

Those are the main initial things.
Reply/Quote
The team has been a huge disappointment but to be fair the O line is missing both starters on the left side. They were supposed to have Williams and Glenn in those spots but of course they are injured.

They have to find some luck for their first rounders but yes I would also get rid of Tobin.
I would also let Andy go and then draft a QB (I would let Zac have major influence in this pick since this will be his guy)
I would not re-sign AJ and use the money on the best LB I can get and a guard or RT.
Without AJ and Andy I would think that there would be a lot of money available for FA LBs and lineman.
Reply/Quote
Buy this board and immediately shut it down. I wouldn't accept dissent from the fanbase.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 11:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well, I don't see a fix to this season, but for better results:

1 ) I'd revamp the scouting department up to the league average. I'd basically look at the successful teams and copy what they do.
2 ) I'd fire Tobin and bring in the best available GM.
3 ) I would have hired Del Rio as DC. So in the offseason, fire Lou and bring Del Rio in.
4 ) I would use free agency more. Guys like Jordan Hicks and LJ Fort at LB and Saffold at Guard would have really help us this year.
5 ) I'd see what guys like Green and Atkins could fetch in a trade. IF some team offered a couple high picks with one being a 1st for either, I'd strongly consider it.

Those are the main initial things.

All the things you stated is exactly what this team needs. They are also the obvious choices, and none of the 5 steps are difficult to do. So why the hell is it so damn difficult for this owner to do. Mike Brown has to be the most stubborn owner in sports history. If anyone thinks things will change when Brown is gone, that’s just wishful thinking. It’s obvious none of the steps you layed out will happen with Katie in charge. It’s amazing nobody is in the old mans ear trying to get him to change his ways. Just pathetic.

As for your 5 ideas I would do exactly the same. Shame Brown will never do one.
Reply/Quote
I hire more scouts first and foremost. Our drafting isn't yielding what it should.

I extend Andy for another 3 years with an easy out after the first season. I offer 22-25 mil. Buy time to build the team in talent-deficient areas. Not a fan of the potential first round QBs in this draft anyway. Maybe see what Finley has. I hate spending a first on a QB if we can get a guy like Jeudy or Thomas. Concerns over his cost are overblown IMO. If we continue to suck this year, nobody's paying him huge money when they can draft a guy with higher upside for much less of a cap hit.

Let AJ go. Let him go play for something real. He's going to eat up a ton of cap and his injury history is mounting up. I'm not sure he's a guy I'd invest 20-22 mil per year in at his age.

Build the god damned line. Be serious. No more half measures. Forget the antiquated and frankly idiotic philosophy of "we don't pay guards". Draft Andrew Thomas if you can, and go into 2020 with him and Jonah as your bookends. Pay a guard. A real one. A 10 mil plus one. Get an established good vet. Stop dumpster diving for incremental improvement. Try to make it a strength rather than a non-weakness.

Pay a linebacker while you're at it. One that can run and play sideline to sideline. Or draft one in a round higher than 3.

Extend Jackson and Billings. Billings is a bright spot. If we had capable backers, his occupation of multiple blocker would be useful. You need Jackson. Even if he isn't the Revis reborn we expected, he's still capable and would leave a huge hole if he left.

Let go: Green, Glenn, Dennard, Eifert, hart, Miller, Smith, John friggin' Jerry.

Draft a QB in 2021 if needed.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 11:39 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: The team has been a huge disappointment but to be fair the O line is missing both starters on the left side.  They were supposed to have Williams and Glenn in those spots but of course they are injured.

They have to find some luck for their first rounders but yes I would also get rid of Tobin.
I would also let Andy go and then draft a QB (I would let Zac have major influence in this pick since this will be his guy)
I would not re-sign AJ and use the money on the best LB I can get and a guard or RT.
Without AJ and Andy I would think that there would be a lot of money available for FA LBs and lineman.

So a team with about half to a third of the scouts of other teams just has bad luck drafting?

What makes you think ZT can scout?
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 11:39 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: The team has been a huge disappointment but to be fair the O line is missing both starters on the left side. They were supposed to have Williams and Glenn in those spots but of course they are injured.

Every single year Bengals fans use injuries as an excuse. Every team gets key injuries during the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
Hire a gm, and actually add good players during fa since I know my draft picks will suck
Reply/Quote
Kill myself
Reply/Quote
1. Sell team
2. Buy villa in Costa Rico
3. Put money in low yield investments
4. Leave wife for "what's in your wallet" girl
5. Never watch NFL again.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Give Holic a big check to make thebengalsboard.com the official forum for Bengal fans
Clean house in the front office. New team president, 'gm', etc., but smart football people. The daily office workers would be safe, unless they are inept.
Double or triple the scouting department, while getting rid of current scouts
Hire new PR people to help energize the fan base even more than my genius abilities could.
Bring PBS up to modern stadium standards for better fan experience
Give Holic a big, nm already said that
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Continue to tank this year.

Fire Tobin

Hire Fred as PR guy. Only guy that I know can make Dalton sound like a HOF QB.

Draft a stuf tackle in round 1.

Tank next year as well

Draft Trevor Lawrence. Boom.
Reply/Quote
I hire a new GM(who would hire scouts) probably someone from the Rams front office if possible. I actually like this coaching staff but they need players to help them.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 11:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 1. Sell team
2. Buy villa in Costa Rico
3. Put money in low yield investments
4. Leave wife for "what's in your wallet" girl
5. Never watch NFL again.

I would actually like you as an owner shame you would sell it.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
So who specifically are you guys going after for the GM job? What if that guy isn't interested? Then who are you turning to?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 01:13 AM)jason Wrote: So who specifically are you guys going after for the GM job? What if that guy isn't interested? Then who are you turning to?

Personally, I’d just give Tobin a chance to do things his own way. You know damn well Mike doesn’t, therefore it’s hard to really judge him as a GM.

It’s clear things got better when Tobin arrived though. Sure, we’ve had the occasional draft bust (every team does), but it’s nowhere near as bad as when Brown was running things by himself.

Give him some money to sign non-washed up FA’s, and stay out of his way.

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 11:12 PM)TKUHL Wrote: The state of the Bengals is depressing to say the least. I don’t understand how an owner can watch this mess and not do whatever it takes to at least try to fix some of the issues. Show some life, do something. Make some moves, try for a couple trades something. How is this Oline still an issue? How is it we can never have a LBer core that is legit? How does an owner accept the same issues year after year and be too stubborn to do whatever it takes to fix it.

So I ask you. You are the owner, what are the 5 things you would do to make this team better now.

1. build a pool 12 feet deep

2. build a high diving board 

3. Fill pool with income generated from bengals

4. Jump in it

5. Know this won't improve the team but Im carrying on in the Mike Brown tradition...
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 01:13 AM)jason Wrote: So who specifically are you guys going after for the GM job? What if that guy isn't interested? Then who are you turning to?

Is that you Mikey?
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 01:32 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Is that you Mikey?

So instead of answering his question you just make a snarky reply?

Who would you hire as GM?

Reply/Quote