Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Your the Owner! What do you do?
(09-25-2019, 01:06 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm late to this party, but...

1. Fire Tobin after this season and replace him with a GM who has actual power/say.
2. Build a practice facility to get the team up to modern standards.
3. Expand the scouting department, again to match up with modern standards.
4. Place a team HOF somewhere in PBS, to instill a sense of honor and pride.
5. Sign a #%&$-ing Tackle that is worth a #$@%
6. Trim a lot of fat like Andre Smith, Bobby Hart, Cordy Glenn, etc
7. Draft/sign some LB's
8. Draft a QB with the top pick and use the money saved to reshape this aging/decaying roster.
9. Let AJ Green walk. He'll be 32 and his injury list is getting extensive. Use money saved to reshape this aging/decaying roster.

I feel that Tobin would have to go.  Not saying everything is his fault, but if I took over, I would feel that he has to go based purely on public perception.  

As far as stadium improvements and an indoor practice facility goes, that's tough.  Putting money into PBS makes no sense, as the county owns it, not the team.  The lease expires in 2026, so putting money in the stadium or building a nearby practice facility isn't really a good investment.  One of my main orders of business would be trying to get the best land deal I can for a retractable roof stadium and practice facility, then start building there.  I would definitely put a team HoF in the new stadium.

Position specific stuff really should fall under the purview of the GM, and I don't really want to be a meddling owner.  If I feel I know more about what personnel moves need to be made than my GM, they shouldn't be my GM.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2019, 05:56 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: You add AJ to Boyd & Ross you have the best WR Core in the league right?

Possibly? But it'd also be a huge chunk of cap space into one position, including a guy who is aging and keeps getting hurt.

Good teams don't seem to do that, generally. Rebuilding teams almost never do that. Doesn't seem like the smart move.

Seems more like a move by a desperate team trying to cling to a window that is long gone.

(09-25-2019, 11:26 PM)Whatever Wrote: I feel that Tobin would have to go.  Not saying everything is his fault, but if I took over, I would feel that he has to go based purely on public perception.  

As far as stadium improvements and an indoor practice facility goes, that's tough.  Putting money into PBS makes no sense, as the county owns it, not the team.  The lease expires in 2026, so putting money in the stadium or building a nearby practice facility isn't really a good investment.  One of my main orders of business would be trying to get the best land deal I can for a retractable roof stadium and practice facility, then start building there.  I would definitely put a team HoF in the new stadium.

Position specific stuff really should fall under the purview of the GM, and I don't really want to be a meddling owner.  If I feel I know more about what personnel moves need to be made than my GM, they shouldn't be my GM.  

Not everything is his fault, but we've had a lot of draft busts on the o-line, and our defensive talent has corroded. The closest thing we have to a GM should be held accountable for that.

A team owner should be able to swing these things. Mike Brown paid $200 million for the minority stake of the Bengals back in 2011, like it was nothing. He can swing it. If I were the owner, I'd do these things to improve fan morale and immediately establish a better relationship with Cincy. Mike Brown was/is a PR nightmare.

Fair enough on the last one, but I'd make sure the GM I hired knew what needed fixed before I hired him.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 11:12 PM)TKUHL Wrote: The state of the Bengals is depressing to say the least. I don’t understand how an owner can watch this mess and not do whatever it takes to at least try to fix some of the issues. Show some life, do something. Make some moves, try for a couple trades something. How is this Oline still an issue? How is it we can never have a LBer core that is legit? How does an owner accept the same issues year after year and be too stubborn to do whatever it takes to fix it.

So I ask you. You are the owner, what are the 5 things you would do to make this team better now.

1: Hire a real GM and give them the freedom to hire their own personnel

2: Triple or quadruple the scouting department

3: Give all my family members unimportant,non-critical positions with no real impact over the team’s composition and operation.

4: Ease up on the city/county a bit because the product I’ve put on the field has not measured up against the concessions I’ve wrung from the taxpayers. Try to genuinely improve relations with the fans. Build a real Ring of Honor, and honor past players who’ve allowed me to amass my fortune.

5: Build an indoor practice facility, assemble a top-notch medical and training staff, improve athletic training facilities, and basically do what can he done to limit injuries and maximize the health of the players.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote