Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac Taylor Extended
(02-16-2022, 10:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, Burrow never accomplished anything noteworthy without Zac Taylor… Ninja

19 really hates Burrow... 
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 03:39 AM)Tony Wrote: 19 really hates Burrow... 

It’s hard to believe anyone could at this point. Idc how much you loved the last guy, or hate some of the new guy’s biggest proponents. Burrow just gave us the best Bengals season in 3+ decades. And he did it all while getting his dick absolutely beaten into the dirt at every step. The kid is absolutely tough as nails, and is everything you could hope and dream for in a franchise QB.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Yes he deserves an extension but let's not forget he's 16-32 as a coach. Consistently makes bad decisions. Let's just hope he didn't luck into this.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 01:29 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Chill, guys. Pretty sure he's not saying Zac "makes" Burrow or anything...but imagine if Burrow played for a conservative coach like Marvin Lewis. Would that coach listen to Joe? Would he run so many empty sets? Would he stay aggressive (which is Joe's mindset)?

Someone like Zac is the perfect pairing for Joe. Offensive minded former QB who is young and listens.. They do compliment each other.

Marvin trusted Carson Palmer to run no huddle and basically call/audible any play at any time. Andy Dalton… not so much. But big difference between Dalton and Palmer/burrow.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 07:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Gonna have to re-watch that part again. I am gonna re-watch it on Gamepass anyways probably lots of times.

I was so excited at the time myself, thought we were going to pull it off. It was only afterwards when I went back and looked
at what plays were called and at what times when other calls would of been more appropriate that I realized how bad the 
game plan was. I mean, we still were one play away from winning this game. Shows how talented our team is.

Just need to get the OL on par with the rest of the team and look out.

I thought the initial plan worked well. We went into the half down 3. Scored coming out of the half. We just didn't counter their adjustment they made to their defense. 

All in all, to go into LA with a bunch of young uns, a bad oline, a defense of guys no one seemed to want, against a team of super stars, and to only lose by three was a pretty good showing to me.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 03:06 AM)TheUberHuber Wrote: We had 2 left. It was literally the worst possible play you could call imo. They ran it out the shotgun straight at Donald 1v1 on rg. And yet, if perine extends his arm it's a first down.  Cry

I read an article this morning that said we had one left. Probably should've burned it, but then that leaves you vulnerable if you need a FG. Of course, it was fourth down, so probably should have called the last one.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 12:26 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: You know everybody wants to diminish Taylor especially offensively. I know a NFL head coach and a NFL OC. They are both very impressed with Taylor’s schemes. He’s held in high regard in the NFL offensively. I think they marvel how he’s done with that OL. I think if they fix the OL and develop a run game with the explosive Mixon then they will be unstoppable. I don’t think the average fan realizes the limitations in play calling with a poor OL.

In addition, he's improved dramatically as a play caller YoY. I think he's fully aware that his sole-mission is to get Joe help...immediately. 70 sacks is bone-chilling, no matter who is at fault. I was definitely not 100% behind Zac the first two years (most of us weren't). But he's stuck to fine tuning the culture, and it's showing results. Players believe in him, and more important each other. Truly a selfless team - which everyone in that locker room will attribute to their success. 
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 04:41 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s hard to believe anyone could at this point. Idc how much you loved the last guy, or hate some of the new guy’s biggest proponents. Burrow just gave us the best Bengals season in 3+ decades. And he did it all while getting his dick absolutely beaten into the dirt at every step. The kid is absolutely tough as nails, and is everything you could hope and dream for in a franchise QB.
People just don't understand the magnitude of what Burrow did behind one of the worst lines in the NFL... All these analysts saying we will fall back next year are idiots too. They never talk about 3rd most money to spend..
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 02:32 PM)NukNuk003 Wrote: In addition, he's improved dramatically as a play caller YoY. I think he's fully aware that his sole-mission is to get Joe help...immediately. 70 sacks is bone-chilling, no matter who is at fault. I was definitely not 100% behind Zac the first two years (most of us weren't). But he's stuck to fine tuning the culture, and it's showing results. Players believe in him, and more important each other. Truly a selfless team - which everyone in that locker room will attribute to their success. 

I understand that there’s some disappointment in some of the OL wanting to do what’s needed to be successful. They are fine collecting a check. I think you will see some major overhaul there. Major
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 01:24 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I read an article this morning that said we had one left. Probably should've burned it, but then that leaves you vulnerable if you need a FG. Of course, it was fourth down, so probably should have called the last one.

Lots of misfortunes the last series. We got the breaks the 3 playoff games. On second down Burrow and receiver weren’t on the same page… receivers likely fault. Wasn’t it 2nd and 1? Got the single coverage they wanted. Third down they should have checked as Donald was not where he normally plays as I’d expect they knew Zac was going there. Perine runs better in pure short yardage as he’s stronger and runs more direct. But Mixon wasn’t getting past Donald either. On fourth we maybe should have double teamed Donald as Higgins was coming open on the same play he got on the first down in OT at KC. Prince just hardly gave Donald any resistance at all. One second and Burrow had he stepped up or even run it got the first down. But geez it’s the Super Bowl plenty of pressure and I’m not sure it was Burrow’s even average game. But I’m sure not gonna blame him ?.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 01:18 PM)Wyche Wrote: I thought the initial plan worked well. We went into the half down 3. Scored coming out of the half. We just didn't counter their adjustment they made to their defense. 

All in all, to go into LA with a bunch of young uns, a bad oline, a defense of guys no one seemed to want, against a team of super stars, and to only lose by three was a pretty good showing to me.

Feel the same overall, its not like the entire game plan was terrible. Just thought they should of used the rollouts, screens and 
dumpoffs much more and we would of easily won the SB and we would be sitting here all happy as can be. Oh well, we just have
a complete blatant Offseason plan. Fix the OL and we should have the most formidable team in the NFL next season.
Reply/Quote
I've seen several people on this board suggest they trade Boyd and/or Mixon to improve the oline, but there's a fatal flaw.. both of those guys are key pieces to the success they had this season and not easily replaced. RB's are easier to replace than one of the best slot receivers in the league, but the odds of hitting a 1200 yard, 13 TD, 4.1 yard avg RB aren't great. Get rid of one or both and you have to replace them and without replacing them with equal or better production it's one step forward, two steps back even with an improved Oline..  Granted Boyd's production fell off this year, but a lot of that is attributable to the emergence of both Chase and Higgins. He's still a damned good slot receiver.. Nothing to argue about with Mixon.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 02:03 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Feel the same overall, its not like the entire game plan was terrible. Just thought they should of used the rollouts, screens and 
dumpoffs much more and we would of easily won the SB and we would be sitting here all happy as can be. Oh well, we just have
a complete blatant Offseason plan. Fix the OL and we should have the most formidable team in the NFL next season.

That’s right. Rollouts, dumpoffs, and screens require an active, athletic offensive line and the Bengals don’t have one. With a shitshow of a line an offensive play caller is extremely limited in what he can dial up. By the time the Super Bowl came around the were limited to go routes, quick slants, off-tackle runs, and an occasional quarterback keeper.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 10:19 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s right. Rollouts, dumpoffs, and screens require an active, athletic offensive line and the Bengals don’t have one.  With a shitshow of a line an offensive play caller is extremely limited in what he can dial up.  By the time the Super Bowl came around the were limited to go routes, quick slants, off-tackle runs, and an occasional quarterback keeper.

You would be partially correct when dealing with a weak, vulnerable OL but it's exactly why you do run dump-offs, some screens, an end around,etc. They ran those thru-out the season with success. You run a couple roll-outs, maybe a throw back to buy some time and run away from the best D lineman in the NFL. A little imagination is needed.

It's exactly how you keep a dominant, hard-charging defensive front a little more honest and playing a bit more on their heels. ZT did NOT have his best hour calling plays the 2nd half.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 10:19 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That’s right. Rollouts, dumpoffs, and screens require an active, athletic offensive line and the Bengals don’t have one.  With a shitshow of a line an offensive play caller is extremely limited in what he can dial up.  By the time the Super Bowl came around the were limited to go routes, quick slants, off-tackle runs, and an occasional quarterback keeper.

Eh, our biggest problem on the OL was having backups on the right side of the line in Adeniji and Prince. These type of 
plays help out these player's weaknesses, Adeniji I don't believe should of even been out there if Carman was healthy 
enough to play. In the AFCC game, on the dump off to Perine Carman got out in front and had the lead block before Chase 
got the last one that lead to that big 47 yard TD that got us back in that game.

I don't understand why Carman wasn't playing and still don't. He can pick up stunts and is athletic enough to get out in
front of players and put his hands on Defenders. He is exactly the type of RG to go against the Rams. Doesn't make any 
sense. BTW, with Adeniji his problem isn't athletic ability, he has plenty of that. His problem is technique, he cannot stay 
low and gets on roller skates and gets pushed back into the QB and RB's.

(02-21-2022, 12:27 PM)higgy100 Wrote: You would be partially correct when dealing with a weak, vulnerable OL but it's exactly why you do run dump-offs, some screens, an end around,etc. They ran those thru-out the season with success. You run a couple roll-outs, maybe a throw back to buy some time and run away from the best D lineman in the NFL. A little imagination is needed.

It's exactly how you keep a dominant, hard-charging defensive front a little more honest and playing a bit more on their heels. ZT did NOT have his best hour calling plays the 2nd half.

Exactly. Those plays help a weak OL. It was a poor game plan, amazing we were one play away from winning with it.
Reply/Quote
Glad again they rewarded him with a great season and rebuild of this roster. It will be hard to get to Super Bowl year in and year out but he proved he can win in the playoffs
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown got that extended right away for a reason. Sean McVay according to Peter King may be offered 15 million as a TV analyst. Taylor had another year but it may have been an option year. Dodged a bullet it appears.
Reply/Quote