Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Zac Taylor prediction
Taylor will become one of the winningest Bengals coaches. You heard it here 1st.
Reply/Quote
[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 11:28 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Taylor will become one of the winningest Bengals coaches. You heard it here 1st.

Well he Might surpass Hues Record in Cleveland.....   But that's as far as I go right now.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 11:28 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Taylor will become one of the winningest Bengals coaches. You heard it here 1st.

2019 had to be like a Whirlwind for Zac as he became a Head Coach for the first time and hastily put a Staff together without much time in the NFL himself to establish many contacts.

I have hope that he can settle in and learn on the go.

He may need this offseason to absorb it all. Take it all in and grow with what he has learned.

I am keeping an open mind about his chances going forward.
Reply/Quote
Two things that make me doubt Taylor will ever be a great HC: the staff he put together (you have to at least admit Marvin was good at this), and his play calling. I understand our OL sucks, and we are missing AJ, but I feel like most decent OC’s could do a lot more with an offense with a veteran QB like Andy Dalton, a very good WR like Tyler Boyd and a stud RB like Joe Mixon. And yet our offense has been horrendous.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 11:49 AM)depthchart Wrote: 2019 had to be like a Whirlwind for Zac as he became a Head Coach for the first time and hastily put a Staff together without much time in the NFL himself to establish many contacts.

I have hope that he can settle in and learn on the go.

He may need this offseason to absorb it all. Take it all in and grow with what he has learned.

I am keeping an open mind about his chances going forward.

I like how you paint his inexperience as a positive.

You know, most teams hire coaches who atleast have a year of coordinator experience for a reason.

What have you seen in Zac from an offensive coaching perspective in Year 1 to make you think that he'll be a great HC?

He's a pretty terrible offensive coordinator at this point. A guy like Kingsburg came to the Cardinals and did some pretty good things in Year 1 with their offense. We haven't had that here with Taylor.
Reply/Quote
He stepped into a total shitstorm so I don't think it is fair to judge him too harshly but on the other hand i have seen absolutely no creativity or motivational skills.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 11:57 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I like how you paint his inexperience as a positive.

You know, most teams hire coaches who atleast have a year of coordinator experience for a reason.

What have you seen in Zac from an offensive coaching perspective in Year 1 to make you think that he'll be a great HC?

He's a pretty terrible offensive coordinator at this point. A guy like Kingsburg came to the Cardinals and did some pretty good things in Year 1 with their offense. We haven't had that here with Taylor.

I never said that he would be a Great Head Coach.  The OP said "one of the winningest Bengals coaches"

Inexperience offers anyone the opportunity to gain experience and get better.

An open mind about his future chances is what I said I have.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 11:57 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Two things that make me doubt Taylor will ever be a great HC: the staff he put together (you have to at least admit Marvin was good at this), and his play calling. I understand our OL sucks, and we are missing AJ, but I feel like most decent OC’s could do a lot more with an offense with a veteran QB like Andy Dalton, a very good WR like Tyler Boyd and a stud RB like Joe Mixon. And yet our offense has been horrendous.

This is the thing with me as well. I mean we're just not seeing any high level of offensive genius, not even hints here and there. Very little anyways.

I never expected ZT to come in here and light up the NFL with 550 yards and 31 points a game. But even as bad as things have been we should still at least being seeing glimpses. 

Can ZT improve ? sure Is he ever gonig to be great ? I have serious doubts

Here's to hoping he fools us all  Cheers
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 12:28 PM)depthchart Wrote: I never said that he would be a Great Head Coach.  The OP said "one of the winningest Bengals coaches"

Inexperience offers anyone the opportunity to gain experience and get better.

An open mind about his future chances is what I said I have.

Yeah...he was OC for 5 games after Lazor got fired in Miami and made their offense worse.

He was OC for 1 year at U of Cincy and they had the 123rd of 128 offenses.

Here, he was OC for a whole year and our offense has been terrible. It took basically 8 games for them to figure out how to run the ball at an average level.

From how bad he was this year, of course he'll improve. It's hard to get worse from being terrible.

That said, going from where he's at now...I don't see him becoming a great OC. The intuitive guys come in and show skills right off the bat. This is his 3rd stop with poor performance.

Jay Gruden and Hue came in here and were good OC's in Year 1.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 11:57 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Two things that make me doubt Taylor will ever be a great HC: the staff he put together (you have to at least admit Marvin was good at this), and his play calling. I understand our OL sucks, and we are missing AJ, but I feel like most decent OC’s could do a lot more with an offense with a veteran QB like Andy Dalton, a very good WR like Tyler Boyd and a stud RB like Joe Mixon. And yet our offense has been horrendous.

Indeed. A veteran QB. Boyd is arguably a Top 25 WR. Mixon is arguably a Top 10/15 back. Then you have Bernard who is a versatile weapon. You have Eifert at TE who was healthy this year.

Taylor seems to only be able to focus on 1 thing at a time. He either throws is 50+ times a game. Throws to the TE's but doesn't run. Runs but doesn't throw to the TE's.

He's not shown an ability to balance the office.

When Dalton's in, he throws the ball A LOT and doesn't run much. Then Finley is in there and he shows he runs a lot. Well, with Dalton IF there was more balance, maybe we have more wins?
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 12:44 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This is the thing with me as well. I mean we're just not seeing any high level of offensive genius, not even hints here and there. Very little anyways.

I never expected ZT to come in here and light up the NFL with 550 yards and 31 points a game. But even as bad as things have been we should still at least being seeing glimpses. 

Can ZT improve ? sure Is he ever gonig to be great ? I have serious doubts

Here's to hoping he fools us all  Cheers

And he has to overcome management who he meets with every day here to become great. I'd imagine that's a lot to overcome, when you don't really know what the right way to do things is.

WHO is here for him to learn from and mentor him? Bengals Management
Reply/Quote
I haven’t seen anything that makes Zac seem like a competent head coach. His play calling is beyond infuriating, arguably the worst de facto OC in team history. And the staff he assembled to help him was laughable and he showed some favoritism by hiring his under-qualified buddies (cut from the same cloth as ol’ Mikey boy Whatever )

We can only hope he proves the vast majority of us wrong.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 12:53 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I haven’t seen anything that makes Zac seem like a competent head coach. His play calling is beyond infuriating, arguably the worst de facto OC in team history. And the staff he assembled to help him was laughable and he showed some favoritism by hiring his under-qualified buddies (cut from the same cloth as ol’ Mikey boy Whatever )

We can only hope he proves the vast majority of us wrong.

And the main reason he was brought in was for his offensive mind. Great offensive minds aren't terrible play-callers.

The best we can hope for is that he develops or that we surround him with so many good players that he has to succeed.

This team shouldn't have been on the verge of 0-16 after 11 games. There's way more talent.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 12:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...he was OC for 5 games after Lazor got fired in Miami and made their offense worse.

He was OC for 1 year at U of Cincy and they had the 123rd of 128 offenses.

Here, he was OC for a whole year and our offense has been terrible. It took basically 8 games for them to figure out how to run the ball at an average level.

From how bad he was this year, of course he'll improve. It's hard to get worse from being terrible.

That said, going from where he's at now...I don't see him becoming a great OC. The intuitive guys come in and show skills right off the bat. This is his 3rd stop with poor performance.

Jay Gruden and Hue came in here and were good OC's in Year 1.

Maybe what the Media seemed to imply was the "Newest, young, Hip, innovative next Sean McVay type" just needs a year under his belt in the Head Coach/Coordinator role before it all Clicks...  Mellow  
Reply/Quote

Let me guess, it’s just like in the movie Hoosiers. He just had to get the kids to buy into his genius.
Reply/Quote

This is more of a hope and prayer for the stars to align and beam down some cosmic new abilities into a guy who has failed miserably bad.

Currently, the stars are not aligned. AJ's contract is up. Dalton appears to be done with the Bengals, the OL sucks oh so badly, the 2019 draft was horrific, the team still needs 3 new LBers, the other aging stars are still aging and are not being replaced by new stars who have similar talent.

Mike Brown seems to have regained his faith in the dumpster diving for free agents, but he's decided to overpay for trash to show he's not as cheap as he appears. Witness 3 year deals for Hart and Webb. Even the extension for Gio for top 15 RB money borders on the absurd.

Even if Taylor were a good coach, and he isn't, the team isn't aligning itself for future success. The team is run by a committee know-nothings.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 12:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Indeed. A veteran QB. Boyd is arguably a Top 25 WR. Mixon is arguably a Top 10/15 back. Then you have Bernard who is a versatile weapon. You have Eifert at TE who was healthy this year.

Taylor seems to only be able to focus on 1 thing at a time. He either throws is 50+ times a game. Throws to the TE's but doesn't run. Runs but doesn't throw to the TE's.

He's not shown an ability to balance the office.

When Dalton's in, he throws the ball A LOT and doesn't run much. Then Finley is in there and he shows he runs a lot. Well, with Dalton IF there was more balance, maybe we have more wins?

Those weapons are at least as good or better than what Buffalo has... They're getting much better results.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 01:10 PM)depthchart Wrote: Maybe what the Media seemed to imply was the "Newest, young, Hip, innovative next Sean McVay type" just needs a year under his belt in the Head Coach/Coordinator role before it all Clicks...  Mellow  

That's just it. He likely needed a couple years as an OC under an established coach before he made this jump. He has no one to learn from here.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2019, 01:20 PM)BengalChris Wrote: This is more of a hope and prayer for the stars to align and beam down some cosmic new abilities into a guy who has failed miserably bad.

Currently, the stars are not aligned. AJ's contract is up. Dalton appears to be done with the Bengals, the OL sucks oh so badly, the 2019 draft was horrific, the team still needs 3 new LBers, the other aging stars are still aging and are not being replaced by new stars who have similar talent.

Mike Brown seems to have regained his faith in the dumpster diving for free agents, but he's decided to overpay for trash to show he's not as cheap as he appears. Witness 3 year deals for Hart and Webb. Even the extension for Gio for top 15 RB money borders on the absurd.

Even if Taylor were a good coach, and he isn't, the team isn't aligning itself for future success. The team is run by a committee know-nothings.

Agreed. And not only does he need to learn to be a good HC and OC...but he's also one of the primary scouts and handles the teams PR.

It's just too much for an inexperienced guy. You need a great front office to make this work.
Reply/Quote