Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac Taylor's Play Calling In OT Was Unforgivable
Joe Burrow and company were moving the ball down the field at will in OT and Zac decides to call 2 run plays? Nevermind the botched fumbles from kick off and punt returns, which is its own issue believe me but any other team would show him the door after this season and what he produced in 3 years.

0-24 when behind in 4th quarter that is Zac's record.

Anywhere else he would be gone...but here he will be extended.

And speaking of shown the door Phillips should clear his locker out tonight...
Reply/Quote
The 49ers ran a cover 2 7 man box. You can run in those situations. Wasnt playcalling it was run blocking.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 10:16 PM)GodFather Wrote: Joe Burrow and company were moving the ball down the field at will in OT and Zac decides to call 2 run plays? Nevermind the botched fumbles from kick off and punt returns, which is its own issue believe me but any other team would show him the door after this season and what he produced in 3 years.

The 2 run netted us 7 yards. The one pass lost us 4. We should have ran it a 3rd time. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
18 carries 58 yards, trust the run someday it might get 4 yards. if it doesn't work all day by god it will work in OT at the most critical spot. keep zac taylor for 20 more years!
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 10:16 PM)GodFather Wrote: Joe Burrow and company were moving the ball down the field at will in OT and Zac decides to call 2 run plays? Nevermind the botched fumbles from kick off and punt returns, which is its own issue believe me but any other team would show him the door after this season and what he produced in 3 years.

0-24? Wow. Just wow. You would think you could luck your way into a single win at least.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 10:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The 2 run netted us 7 yards. The one pass lost us 4. We should have ran it a 3rd time. 

No we should've thrown on first down, if we ran on third we would've been stuffed.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 10:20 PM)Synric Wrote: The 49ers ran a cover 2 7 man box. You can run in those situations. Wasnt playcalling it was run blocking.

Nah. While you are right the Bengals had box numbers quite a bit, it still wasn’t working and Mix clearly wasn’t 100%.

Burrow was under pressure all day and threw for 348...he could have easily had 450 if Taylor would have attacked from the onset.

The Bengals waste too many 1st half possessions trying to establish the run. They lived in 3rd and long today the first several possessions. They aren't the 49ers or Browns. They've got 3 stud receivers and a very good young QB. Turn them loose.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 10:20 PM)Synric Wrote: The 49ers ran a cover 2 7 man box. You can run in those situations. Wasnt playcalling it was run blocking.

The run blocking has been shit all game now you trust the run blocking? I think not..
Reply/Quote
Dont forget run-run-run-punt to start the second half was a great halftime adjustment.

But yeah, completely agree on the run run plays in OT. Instead of going for the win WITH the hot hand at the moment, chose to try to run the ball that wasnt even working? Makes no sense at all at that point.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 10:23 PM)GodFather Wrote: No we should've thrown on first down, if we ran on third we would've been stuffed.

Oh, OK
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I've been saying all along that Taylor is not a good offensive playcaller.
That part of his job needs replaced, at minimum.

Perhaps ownership forces Taylor to relinquish offensive playcalling duties...and bring in Joe Brady as either the OC or passing game coordinator (with Pollack as run game coordinator). Brady was just let go by CAR, and he's said he wants to stay in the NFL.
CIN becomes the most logical landing spot for him, as he'd get to work with Burrow, Chase, and Moss.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 10:23 PM)PlayadLc Wrote: Nah. While you are right the Bengals had box numbers quite a bit, it still wasn’t working and Mix clearly wasn’t 100%.

Burrow was under pressure all day and threw for 348...he could have easily had 450 if Taylor would have attacked from the onset.

The Bengals waste too many 1st half possessions trying to establish the run. They lived in 3rd and long today the first several possessions. They aren't the 49ers or Browns. They've got 3 stud receivers and a very good young QB. Turn them loose.

You can say stuff liike stud this bla that. Facts remain if you have a light box you hand the ball to your running back. Problem was run blocking not play calling... and has been a solid chunk of the year.

The Bengals are a wide zone under center team with only 3ish 100  rushing yard games. This is a problem and it starts in the trenches.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 10:24 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Dont forget run-run-run-punt to start the second half was a great halftime adjustment.

And on the missed FG drive we drove really far and then he dialed up run run on 1st and 2nd and what do you know a Burrow sack on an obvious 3rd down pass play.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 10:28 PM)Synric Wrote: You can say stuff liike stud this bla that. Facts remain if you have a light box you hand the ball to your running back. Problem was run blocking not play calling... and has been a solid chunk of the year.

The Bengals are a wide zone under center team with only 3ish 100  rushing yard games. This is a problem and it starts in the trenches.

So then why dial it up twice when it hasn’t been working. Sure the line will give up sacks but at the same time its the passing game that got us in the game n
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 10:31 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: And on the missed FG drive we drove really far and then he dialed up run run on 1st and 2nd and what do you know a Burrow sack on an obvious 3rd down pass play.

So there is a trend here.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote

I mean, as a rule, yes you should.  Problem is, they hadn't been able to exploit it all game.  The announcers even alluded to it.  They had 4 quarters to figure out that the run wasn't going to work, even with the favorable alignment.
Reply/Quote
I'm still baffled he took zero shots for the end zone and a gaming winning TD. He settled for the FG.
Reply/Quote

So Lac still has no idea his OL is awful? The fact that they were stuffed most of the day didn’t matter?

They marched down the field throwing the ball, then get to the red zone and lac decides its time to go back to what doesn’t work.

Some of our fans think lac is good at his job. Considering our fans, dumb as most of them are, think he’s acceptable means the Blackburns are probably trying to stuff extensions in his drawers like women throw dollars at chippendale’s dancers. Which means nothing will change.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2021, 10:32 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: So then why dial it up twice when it hasn’t been working. Sure the line will give up sacks but at the same time its the passing game that got us in the game n

It's hard to get this point across to people that don't see the defense. What was the the look? Cover 2 is a light man box vs 11 personnel that screams run.

Reply/Quote
If Taylor stays, give the playcalling to someone else who has proven success doing it.
Let him focus on building the culture and regular HC duties.
I'm also perfectly fine showing him the door.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote