Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac Taylor's Play Calling In OT Was Unforgivable
(12-13-2021, 11:12 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I cannot believe there are so many losing teams in the NFL with all these coaching experts wasting away on a message board.

Zac called a good game, we over came numerous errors that put us in a hole to take the lead in OT. The Niners had only scored 3 points the entire have and were completely shut down in the 4th.

Of all the things we blame Zac for we can now add: Taking the lead in OT when your D is playing lights out..

And apparently by your posts you are one of those coaching experts.   Whatever
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 03:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Zac is most likely the 1st NFL coach in the history of the league to 2nd guess his play calling after a loss. 

You're right about other coaches though. There are those that would have went for 2 after we scored the final TD in regulation...I mean.."go for the win" why don't ya. 

Here's Zac "admitting his mistake":

My man, is sarcasm your go to when having a discussion? I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

Correct, some would have gone for 2 and others would have wanted to head to OT. The difference in the go for 2 scenario compared to the OT decision making was that Zac was positioned to get the FG while also having the option of trying to take a shot for the TD. He took the conservative option or running which netted him 3 points. As he said, hindsight and a lose sleep type of decision for him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Even Zac questioned himself on that last drive
That said, Phillips was terrible, and Evan missed what should be a gimme for him. I really feel like special teams had the biggest impact on the L.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 11:22 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: It's why the loss is on the TEAM and not the coach.

Phillips gave a swing of up to 20-24 points with his fumbles and there aren't 50 threads with hundreds of posts about why he cost us the game.

Yes, it's fine and VALID to criticize Zac's role this game, but the game wasn't called nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Yeah, overall, I thought they did ok. He second guessed himself not riding with the hot hand, and I'll second his assertion. However, as I said earlier, without Phillips gift wrapping them two short fields, I don't think this game ever makes OT, as we likely win in regulation. 

Goodbye Andy Dalton, hello Zac Taylor, you're now the official fans' whipping boy....lol.

Also.... where's the hate on Simmons? His guy gives up 10 points, and his kicker misses what amounts to a gimme with his leg. He didn't just barely miss it, he shanked it worse than Randy against the LAC last season.

Reply/Quote
His playcalling in OT gave Burrow a 3rd and 3. Pretty much every QB should be very happy witha third and three.

If our passing games was so unstoppable that we should not even have tried to run the ball then why didn't we convert an easy third and 3?

I am not a big fan of Taylor, but criticizing his play calling in OT is BS.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 05:43 PM)Wyche Wrote: Also.... where's the hate on Simmons? His guy gives up 10 points, and his kicker misses what amounts to a gimme with his leg. He didn't just barely miss it, he shanked it worse than Randy against the LAC last season.

Good point. Haven't heard didly about Simmons and his ST's are more responsible for the loss than Zac. Yet, Zac is the head dog so shit falls on his shoulders. As for McPherson, I'm not sure about him anymore. Yes he's a decent kicker and has a strong leg but he's not living up to his nickname.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 05:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: His playcalling in OT gave Burrow a 3rd and 3.  Pretty much every QB should be very happy witha third and three.

If our passing games was so unstoppable that we should not even have tried to run the ball then why didn't we convert an easy third and 3?

I am not a big fan of Taylor, but criticizing his play calling in OT is BS.

Because the line isn't good enough yet to handle big boy dlines like SFs apparently. 

Agree with what you're saying, by the way, just offering a suggestion as to why we couldn't pick up a 3rd and 3.

Reply/Quote
Plus, can you blame a coach for playing it a little safer in FG range when his QB is leading the entire league in interceptions?
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 05:48 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Good point. Haven't heard didly about Simmons and his ST's are more responsible for the loss than Zac. Yet, Zac is the head dog so shit falls on his shoulders. As for McPherson, I'm not sure about him anymore. Yes he's a decent kicker and has a strong leg but he's not living up to his nickname.

Yessir, and we won't even get into the shit DP had done in previous games putting us deep in our own territory. If that guy can't do that job, it's your job to tell the HC. If the HC ignores your advice, that's a different can o worms.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 05:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Plus, can you blame a coach for playing it a little safer in FG range when his QB is leading the entire league in interceptions?

You know.... that's a fair point as well..... several of them in the RZ to boot.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 05:43 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Yeah, overall, I thought they did ok. He second guessed himself not riding with the hot hand, and I'll second his assertion. However, as I said earlier, without Phillips gift wrapping them two short fields, I don't think this game ever makes OT, as we likely win in regulation. 

Goodbye Andy Dalton, hello Zac Taylor, you're now the official fans' whipping boy....lol.

Also.... where's the hate on Simmons? His guy gives up 10 points, and his kicker misses what amounts to a gimme with his leg. He didn't just barely miss it, he shanked it worse than Randy against the LAC last season.

It's the ONLY bad ball that Evan has kicked all year; it was wobbly, uneven and just didn't go anywhere; a VERY weird kick.

After Tucker, he still kicks the most-beautiful-looking balls of any kicker in the league (why I think he will be the new #1 in a few years time).
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 05:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Plus, can you blame a coach for playing it a little safer in FG range when his QB is leading the entire league in interceptions?

Our D had shut them down all 2nd half. Folks saying Zac doesn't recognize a "hot hand" must have thought the D was playing poorly.

TBH, I thought SF would get down in FG range, but their kicker had just blown one.

As I said: The exact crowd complaining now would be complaining if JB throws an INT on 1st down and SF beats us with a FG.

I'm on record as saying if we don't win the division I want Zac gone, but come on people..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 03:50 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: My man, is sarcasm your go to when having a discussion? I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

Correct, some would have gone for 2 and others would have wanted to head to OT. The difference in the go for 2 scenario compared to the OT decision making was that Zac was positioned to get the FG while also having the option of trying to take a shot for the TD. He took the conservative option or running which netted him 3 points. As he said, hindsight and a lose sleep type of decision for him.

You and others call it "Zac admitting a mistake"; it's not what he did. He explained that the D gave them the run and he sent JB to the line with a couple plays based on what the D showed. Like 99.9% of coaches he thinks "what if" after a loss, but nowhere did he say it was a mistake to run.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 06:01 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: It's the ONLY bad ball that Evan has kicked all year; it was wobbly, uneven and just didn't go anywhere; a VERY weird kick.

After Tucker, he still kicks the most-beautiful-looking balls of any kicker in the league (why I think he will be the new #1 in a few years time).

He does, but he's had some misses too, even XPs. He's a rookie though, so I'm not concerned at all, yet. Just pointing out that special teams were pretty bad Sunday.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 06:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You and others call it "Zac admitting a mistake"; it's not what he did. He explained that the D gave them the run and he sent JB to the line with a couple plays based on what the D showed. Like 99.9% of coaches he thinks "what if" after a loss, but nowhere did he say it was a mistake to run.

So because he didn't use the exact word "mistake" you want to make the claim forum posters are wrong for saying Zac took accountability? Zac said he wished he threw on 1st down in OT at the 26 and that not riding Burrow's hot hand will keep him up. I suppose I'll concede a technicality to you that he didn't say mistake, but I'm good with the interpretation that Zac is acknowledging a coaching mistake. 

Anyhow, I've lost track of your point in this thread. You don't want people criticizing Zac the losing coach or you don't want people taking solace in Zac expressing he second guessed his poor OT coaching?

Edit: Or you don't like people not directly quoting Zac?
Reply/Quote

Did Zac not burn a timeout after deciding not to go for it on 4th down..
Only to send out the kicking unit from the 20??
Take the delay and 5 yard penalty to save that timeout no?
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 03:50 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote:  Zac was positioned to get the FG while also having the option of trying to take a shot for the TD. He took the conservative option or running which netted him 3 points. As he said, hindsight and a lose sleep type of decision for him.

This makes no sense at all.  Zac was trying to get a TD.  His play calling set up a third and 3 that should have been easy to convert.  This would have allowed the Bengals to keep driving for a game winning TD.

It amazes me how many people think we would not have been allowed to try and score a TD if we converted that easy third and 3.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 02:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This makes no sense at all.  Zac was trying to get a TD.  His play calling set up a third and 3 that should have been easy to convert.  This would have allowed the Bengals to keep driving for a game winning TD.

It amazes me how many people think we would not have been allowed to try and score a TD if we converted that easy third and 3.

It makes sense. If you cannot process or understand a perspective different than your own, then oh well. Intricate knowledge of NFL coaching and play calling isn't needed to grasp that Zac passed on an immediate opportunity to let Burrow continue to throw to get a win. Zac took the play making out of the hands of his arguably best player, Burrow, for two consecutive downs. Instead he persisted with two runs that did not set up a continued drive for the TD. He had to kick a FG, let the 49'ers have the ball, and lost. Yes, had the runs worked Zac could have continued with play calls to try and win the game.

I understand that if the runs were successful, then the drive could have continued. I understand what getting a first down means for the offense in football. It is strange you assume people do not have this basic understanding of the game. It amazes me you would make such a fruitless assumption.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 02:53 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote:  Instead he persisted with two runs that did not set up a continued drive for the TD. 

I understand that if the runs were successful, then the drive could have continued. I understand what getting a first down means for the offense in football. It is strange you assume people do not have this basic understanding of the game. It amazes me you would make such a fruitless assumption.

Setting up a third and 3 is considered successful.  

It is strange that you do not have this basic understanding of the game.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 05:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Setting up a third and 3 is considered successful.  

It is strange that you do not have this basic understanding of the game.

No, the strangeness lies with your inability to understand another aspect of the game by letting Burrow throw to try and win the game instead of run, run, FG, give the 49'ers the ball, and lose. Setting up a third and three was a failed outcome.
Reply/Quote