Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac Taylor's Play Calling In OT Was Unforgivable
(12-15-2021, 05:54 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote:  run, run, FG, give the 49'ers the ball, and lose.

"Run, run, FG"? WTF are you talking about?

If Burrow throwing the ball was so unstoppable and certain to result in a TD then why didn't he convert the EASY 3rds and 3?

And if you are saying that a smart coach would go with the hot hand then Zac was smart to let his defense win the game by not allowing the Niners to score a TD.  Our defense had kept them out of the end zone the entire second half, and the Niners last TD had been the result of a short drive after a muffed punt.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 06:01 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: It's the ONLY bad ball that Evan has kicked all year; it was wobbly, uneven and just didn't go anywhere; a VERY weird kick.

After Tucker, he still kicks the most-beautiful-looking balls of any kicker in the league (why I think he will be the new #1 in a few years time).

He's missed multiple PATS and 2 against GB and 1 against Jacksonville... He not what some of you are making him out to be..
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 06:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "Run, run, FG"? WTF are you talking about?

If Burrow throwing the ball was so unstoppable and certain to result in a TD then why didn't he convert the EASY 3rds and 3?

And if you are saying that a smart coach would go with the hot hand then Zac was smart to let his defense win the game by not allowing the Niners to score a TD.  Our defense had kept them out of the end zone the entire second half, and the Niners last TD had been the result of a short drive after a muffed punt.

Ya, it's not like Kittle was destroying the defense or anything. The defense is all banged up too..
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 06:04 PM)Tony Wrote: Ya, it's not like Kittle was destroying the defense or anything. 

Niners had zero points on previous 4 drives.  Not a single TD in second half.

If that is "getting destroyed" then I will take it every game.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 06:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Niners had zero points on previous 4 drives.  Not a single TD in second half.

Asking this defense to hold Kittle and the boys 5 straight times is a little much, don't you think? I think everyone of us knew what was gonna happen after that Fg in OT... 
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 06:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Niners had zero points on previous 4 drives.  Not a single TD in second half.

I mean 13 catches 158 and a TD isn't a very good job on a TE... Probably why the Ayiuk play worked so good too..
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 06:03 PM)Tony Wrote: He's missed multiple PATS and 2 against GB and 1 against Jacksonville... He not what some of you are making him out to be..

Only the following kickers have a 100% XP conversion:
- Tyler Bass
- Jake Elliott
- Justin Tucker
- Younghoe Koo
- Graham Gano

Only the following kickers have missed fewer FGs than McPherson but attempted at least 25:
- Nick Folk (missed 3)
- Justin Tucker (missed 2)
- Daniel Carlson (missed 3)
- Matt Gay (missed 1)
- Dustin Hopkins (missed 3)
- Chris Boswell (missed 2)
- Harrison Butker (missed 3)

The big thing is McPherson is doing better than the guy he replaced, Bullock.

So is McPherson perfect? No.
Is he as bad as some make him out to be? No.
Is the K position upgraded from prior years? Yes.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 06:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: So is McPherson perfect? No.
Is he as bad as some make him out to be? No.
Is the K position upgraded from prior years? Yes.

Does he still make me nervous AF? Yes

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 06:27 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Does he still make me nervous AF? Yes

I think that's just part of being a Bengals fan.

They haven't had a bad snap on a field goal in a very long time and yet I half expect it every single time.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 06:08 PM)Tony Wrote:  I think everyone of us knew what was gonna happen after that Fg in OT... 

No you did not.  If you think the opponent always scores on the final drive to beat the Bengals then you are wrong a lot more than you are correct.

BTW are you saying that Zac should have gone for it on 4th and 7 instead of kicking the FG?
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 06:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "Run, run, FG"? WTF are you talking about?

I will say that the 49ers didn't need to score so they could be more conservative. They didn't need to score until we tied the game with a min left and they responded by driving down and getting into field goal range.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 06:10 PM)Tony Wrote: I mean 13 catches 158 and a TD isn't a very good job on a TE... Probably why the Ayiuk play worked so good too..

Do you even have a point?

The Bengals defense was just a shot as Burrow except our defense had kept the Niners out of the endzone for an entire half while Joe had only got warmed up over the final quarter.
Reply/Quote

Meh.
I personally am not nearly as nervous as when Bullock or Nugent would kick.

Many probably forget how bad Nugent was as a Bengal:
2010 - 78.9%
2011 - 86.8%
2012 - 82.6%
2013 - 81.8%
2014 - 78.8%
2015 - 82.1%
2016 - 79.3%

Note that all but one of those seasons is lower than what McPherson is currently at (84%).

Bullock only had 2 seasons (2017 - 90%, 2019 - 87.1%) better than what McPherson is currently at.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 06:40 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I will say that the 49ers didn't need to score so they could be more conservative. They didn't need to score until we tied the game with a min left and they responded by driving down and getting into field goal range.

They moved the ball against a prevent defense, but Garoppolo could only complete one of his last 5 passes when we tightened up.
Reply/Quote

A quote from Zac on the Bengals website:

Quote:"Put the ball in his hands. Give him the second down and third down to go get the touchdown and maybe you walk off the game with a walk-off touchdown and the game is over," Taylor said.

Zac is referring to Burrow and demonstrating awareness of situational football with his reflections about the OT play calling. It is unfortunate you are struggling to do the same. During OT, the series of offensive plays leading to the FG resulted in the 49'ers getting the ball back and winning. Had Zac decided to immediately let Burrow take a shot at a TD, the result might have been a Bengals win without the 49'ers getting to control the outcome. 

This is simple to understand.

If you also had an ability to understand Zac's perspective, it wouldn't negate your own opinions. Perhaps you, and sadly I might add, need this validation? Your inability to understand situational football and interpersonal difficulties evidenced by your forum post history are both equally strange. Anyhow, this repartee of posting is going nowhere so I shall bow out and leave you to your next combative interaction with someone else.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 06:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No you did not.  If you think the opponent always scores on the final drive to beat the Bengals then you are wrong a lot more than you are correct.

BTW are you saying that Zac should have gone for it on 4th and 7 instead of kicking the FG?

I certainly had a feeling we would lose. I have wondered where our sense of urgency has been. The past 2 games we had different players say we didn't come out with the right energy. In overtime especially when we got to the 26 yard line our season basically hangs in the balance if we score a TD we are 1st in the division with a TD. Running twice and then just getting 1 chance for Burrow to pick up a 1st just seemed like a lower odds of converting and like we were already settling for a field goal. I think we needed to have more urgency to pick up a 1st down and eventually score. Whether thats giving Burrow all 3 downs to move the chains and or score or after we ran on 2nd down and got to 3rd and 3 maybe run again and decide what to do in 4th if it gets to that.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 06:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They moved the ball against a prevent defense, but Garoppolo could only complete one of his last 5 passes when we tightened up.

I don't remember the way it ended completely. But i do know his last throw before overtime just seemed to be a designed throw away to kill clock. Not saying our defense didn't play well but it had been a closer game earlier I think we would've seen a lot more Deebo.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 06:53 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote:  Had Zac decided to immediately let Burrow take a shot at a TD, the result might have been a Bengals win without the 49'ers getting to control the outcome. 

This is simple to understand.

Here are a few more things that are simple to understand.

-Joe Burrow is leading the league in interceptions and had earlier in this very game thrown a pass directly to a defender but it was wiped out by a penalty.

-Burrow had been sacked 3 times in his last 18 attempts.  A sack from the 22 could easily push the ball back to the 28.  That is the exact spot that McPherson had missed a FG attempt earlier in the game.

-The Bengals defense had been playing very well.  They had held the niners out of the endzone for the entire second half.  They were as haot if not hotter than Burrow.

-The numbers prove that it is easier to convert a third and 3 than a first and ten.  If Burrow was unstoppable throwing the ball then there is no way they should have stopped him from converting the third and three.  Zac did not "take the ball mout of his hands" instead he set him up for an easy conversion and let him throw for it.

And finally I see that you did not post the entire statement from Zac or a link to the entire statement.  That is because he did not admit he made a mistake like you are trying to claim.  
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2021, 07:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here are a few more things that are simple to understand.

-Joe Burrow is leading the league in interceptions and had earlier in this very game thrown a pass directly to a defender but it was wiped out by a penalty.

-Burrow had been sacked 3 times in his last 18 attempts.  A sack from the 22 could easily push the ball back to the 28.  That is the exact spot that McPherson had missed a FG attempt earlier in the game.

-The Bengals defense had been playing very well.  They had held the niners out of the endzone for the entire second half.  They were as haot if not hotter than Burrow.

-The numbers prove that it is easier to convert a third and 3 than a first and ten.  If Burrow was unstoppable throwing the ball then there is no way they should have stopped him from converting the third and three.  Zac did not "take the ball mout of his hands" instead he set him up for an easy conversion and let him throw for it.

And finally I see that you did not post the entire statement from Zac or a link to the entire statement.  That is because he did not admit he made a mistake like you are trying to claim.  

I get a 3rd and short should be easier to convert than a 1st and 10. But the idea of throwing on 1st down is that you give Burrow 3 chances to convert or score. Now your good with stats Fred so maybe you can answer this but it seemed we were getting in 3rd and manageable for a lot of the game and were struggling to convert those. So I guess my question is how many 3rd and 5s or shorter did the Bengals convert or fail to convert on Sunday?
Reply/Quote

What's weird is I'm more comfortable when it's from 50+ lol...
Reply/Quote