Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyler Boyd ??
Tyler Boyd was a rookie, and hardly a finished product. Chad Johnson had one TD as a rookie.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2017, 06:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If it was all about RZ effiency then we could be looking to replace either Boyd or AJ Green.

Both were targeted 9 times in the red zone.  Boyd had 1 td and Green 2.  So not a lot of difference between them.

One of those WRs was drawing constant single coverage. I'm sure you can guess which one.

(05-15-2017, 01:58 PM)jason Wrote: Tyler Boyd was a rookie, and hardly a finished product. Chad Johnson had one TD as a rookie.

You're right that Boyd could possibly improve, but Chad is a poor comparison. Chad was barely used as a rookie, catching only 28 passes compared to 54 for Boyd.

Boyd should've scored more than 1 TD, whether by red zone or big plays. He was deficient in both areas. I'm not saying there's no hope for the guy. I like his size and hands. I just also know that the lack of big plays and RZ production probably led to the drafting of a guy with 4.22 speed and excellent RZ production. It seems pretty easy to connect the dots.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2017, 02:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: One of those WRs was drawing constant single coverage. I'm sure you can guess which one.

You're right that Boyd could possibly improve, but Chad is a poor comparison. Chad was barely used as a rookie, catching only 28 passes compared to 54 for Boyd.

Boyd should've scored more than 1 TD, whether by red zone or big plays. He was deficient in both areas. I'm not saying there's no hope for the guy. I like his size and hands. I just also know that the lack of big plays and RZ production probably led to the drafting of a guy with 4.22 speed and excellent RZ production. It seems pretty easy to connect the dots.

Yes, and in no way am I saying he will develop into a Chad Johnson type of player. I'm just pointing out that most WRs aren't like Moss, Julio, or AJ. Those guys made an immediate impact. We don't really know what Boyd will be, but I think we have a good idea of his floor. I think it's hard to judge a WR fully until their 3rd season or so.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Boyd drew a lot of comparisons to a Victor Cruz and Keenan Allen. He's not a guy that will beat you deep, but he's a good possession WR.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2017, 02:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: One of those WRs was drawing constant single coverage. I'm sure you can guess which one.

To piggy back onto that, of the 15 other WR's who caught between 50-60 passes last year, Boyd and Robert Woods were the only one's with only one TD.  Not counting Boyd, the average for a WR who caught that many passes was 3.53 TD's.

To further put this in perspective, the last Bengal with 50+ catches and 0-1 Td's was Kenny Watson in '07.  The last Bengal WR to do it was Peter Warrick in '01.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 03:59 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: In this era:

AJ Green will be our Chad Johnson
Tyler Boyd our TJ Houshmandzadeh
John Ross our Chris Henry

This.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2017, 01:10 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. If the coaches thought Boyd was fast and had great potential as an outside WR, we would not have drafted Ross.
2. The Housh comparison's and 100 catch predictions are a bit much. People are starting to overrate him the way they did with MLJ and Sanu.
3. We panicked when all the WRs flew off the board last year and took Boyd out of necessity, but it's clear he's not the guy the coaches want to be starting.

I see Boyd as a Sanu/LaFell replacement. Which will make him the #3 WR and primarily a slot guy by default. It's clear AJ and Ross will be starting (sooner than later), so who do people think will man the slot? This doesn't mean Boyd can't play outside in a pinch, but I don't think he's ideal there, hence the drafting of Ross.

You seem to be making assumptions yourself.. how do you know Ross will start ? you are assuming or overrating him before he steps on the field.. as a rookie  Boyd did a good job, showed much promise.. outside of not scoring TDs had a solid rookie year between two veterans... I see 3/4 WR sets more with addition of Ross.. I also see Boyd getting more balls underneath so yes a comparison to Housh type player in a Bengals uniform.. we will see
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2017, 07:50 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: You seem to be making assumptions yourself.. how do you know Ross will start ? you are assuming or overrating him before he steps on the field.. as a rookie  Boyd did a good job, showed much promise.. outside of not scoring TDs had a solid rookie year between two veterans... I see 3/4 WR sets more with addition of Ross.. I also see Boyd getting more balls underneath so yes a comparison to Housh type player in a Bengals uniform.. we will see

Ross was the 9th overall pick in the draft. If you don't think he's going to likely be starting here long term, you're fooling yourself. People always compare young slower receivers to Housh, but we'll be lucky if we ever see another #2 WR that productive. As much as I like Ross, I have my doubts that he'd be able to touch the 100 catch, 1000 yard seasons Housh was capable of.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2017, 03:27 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Can anyone tell me what Tyler Boyd does especially or uniquely well?

I think he's a solid guy and will be a reliable contributor, but I don't see a game breaker/changer in any capacity.

https://twitter.com/JamesRapien/status/760580144088088576/video/1
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2017, 07:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Ross was the 9th overall pick in the draft. If you don't think he's going to likely be starting here long term, you're fooling yourself. People always compare young slower receivers to Housh, but we'll be lucky if we ever see another #2 WR that productive. As much as I like Ross, I have my doubts that he'd be able to touch the 100 catch, 1000 yard seasons Housh was capable of.

Should I start listing top 10 picks in the NFL history that did not turn out.. my point is assuming does not mean facts.... .. 

yes i believe Ross will get plenty of playing time, but in todays NFL starting at WR is a bit different since we can play 3 to 4.. also Boyd put up some decent numbers for a rookie so i think he has the ability to put up some good numbers....
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2017, 12:32 PM)Whatever Wrote: Green had 7 catches for 2 TD's and 5 1st downs on those targets.  So, every time he caught the ball in the red zone, he either scored or extended the drive.  He also doubled Boyd's TD output.

Boyd had 5 catches, 1TD, and 2 1st downs.  Those are terrible numbers.  His lack of red zone production and inability to step up his production significantly after AJ went down are strong indicators of a guy who was reliant on the deep outside threat of Green, and to a lesser extent LaFell, to open up space for him to work because he couldn't create space for himself consistently.  He deserves credit for finding soft spots in zones and making catches, but that's the definition of a possession WR.

Eh, I'm not getting it. They both had 10 redzone targets last season, and AJ's numbers were only slightly better. Two more catches, one more TD. I can't speak on the 1st downs because that can be dependent on the situation. I don't see how anyone can say two more catches and on more TD are "terrible numbers" when tempered with the fact that AJ is a top receiver and Boyd was a rookie. 

I thought Boyd had a solid rookie season, and could've had a better one if we'd been on the same page on offense.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2017, 11:59 PM)Benton Wrote: Eh, I'm not getting it. They both had 10 redzone targets last season, and AJ's numbers were only slightly better. Two more catches, one more TD. I can't speak on the 1st downs because that can be dependent on the situation. I don't see how anyone can say two more catches and on more TD are "terrible numbers" when tempered with the fact that AJ is a top receiver and Boyd was a rookie. 

I thought Boyd had a solid rookie season, and could've had a better one if we'd been on the same page on offense.

AJ Green not only missed essentially 7 games, it was also the worst season of his career from a red zone/TD standpoint. So we should consider that.

They both had terrible numbers. 1 or 2 TDs for a WR just isn't a good number. We should just admit the kid needs to improve in that area and move on. Maybe his 2nd year will yield better results, especially with more weapons around him. Don't forget it's also Zampese's 2nd year, and if he's anything like Hue, we should see a massive leap in year 2 of his offense. Particularly in the red zone (we struggled in the RZ under Hue in year 1 as well).
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2017, 11:59 PM)Benton Wrote: Eh, I'm not getting it. They both had 10 redzone targets last season, and AJ's numbers were only slightly better. Two more catches, one more TD. I can't speak on the 1st downs because that can be dependent on the situation. I don't see how anyone can say two more catches and on more TD are "terrible numbers" when tempered with the fact that AJ is a top receiver and Boyd was a rookie. 

They are terrible #'s based on the small sample size.  Look at it this way...

AJ comp ℅=70℅, 1st down ℅=50℅, TD %=20℅

Boyd coomp ℅=50℅, 1st down ℅=20℅, TD℅=10℅

Or, look at it this way, AJ scored every 5 red zone targets.  Boyd only scored once every 10 targets.  
Reply/Quote