Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
laws holding gun owners responsible for letting child get loaded gun?
(04-05-2016, 05:05 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote:  A married couple with a gun in the home is two gun owners,

No it isn't. 

Plus there are more single parent and single adult households than married couple households.  The number of adults in a household includes both parents and children over 18.  That is what pushes the number closer to 2 adults per household.

Instead of all this bullshit manipulation why not just use the numbers from the Gallup poll you posted?  34% of adults own guns.  
(04-05-2016, 05:05 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: They do when they get caught.  As we both know the clearance rate for reported crimes is not exceptionally high.  We also both know that for every crime a recidivist is caught for they almost certainly committed several more that go unsolved.  The general consensus that the vast majority of crime is committed by a small percentage of the criminal population is not in dispute within the criminal justice system.  That point alone points to the validity of my point, much less all the other factual examples cited.

There are over 600,000 violent offenders in state prisons alone.

Those guys are not on the streets committing the same crimes every year.

Your claim that the same 500,000 people are committing all the gun related crimes in the country every year is just absurd.
(04-05-2016, 05:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No it isn't. 

Plus there are more single parent and single adult households than married couple households.  The number of adults in a household includes both parents and children over 18.  That is what pushes the number closer to 2 adults per household.

Instead of all this bullshit manipulation why not just use the numbers from the Gallup poll you posted?  34% of adults own guns.  

You complaining about bullshit manipulation is priceless.  Even so, I'll concede the point.  There are around 80 million gun owners in the US, the vast, vast majority of whom will never commit a gun related crime.

(04-05-2016, 05:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There are over 600,000 violent offenders in state prisons alone.

Those guys are not on the streets committing the same crimes every year.

Your claim that the same 500,000 people are committing all the gun related crimes in the country every year is just absurd.

You continue to ignore all the violent crime committed by juveniles, a not insignificant number of the total number.  Your assertion that I said the same 500,000 people commit all of the crime every year is what's absurd.  Even in a thread in which you manage to make a few points you can't help wallowing in your own bullshit.

All of this aside, is your assertion that the vast majority of gun owners should be punished for the actions of a statistically insignificant few? 
(04-05-2016, 07:30 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: All of this aside, is your assertion that the vast majority of gun owners should be punished for the actions of a statistically insignificant few? 

I don't call half a million a year (every year) an insignificant number.

And I don't consider registering a gun a punishment.  I consider it a civic duty.  I would gladly register my gun in order to help stench the flow of weapons to criminals.  

You may find this shocking, but I don't cry and try to play the victim card when I register my cars.
(04-05-2016, 08:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't call half a million a year (every year) an insignificant number.

And I don't consider registering a gun a punishment.  I consider it a civic duty.  I would gladly register my gun in order to help stench the flow of weapons to criminals.  

You may find this shocking, but I don't cry and try to play the victim card when I register my cars.

I have mentioned numerous times that I am in favor of stricter regulations to include registration and licensing. The OP is about dictating how someone should secure a firearm in their own home. I think that it is supporting laws such as those that turn people against laws that could actually help reduce crime.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-05-2016, 09:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have mentioned numerous times that I am in favor of stricter regulations to include registration and licensing. The OP is about dictating how someone should secure a firearm in their own home. I think that it is supporting laws such as those that turn people against laws that could actually help reduce crime.  

Keeping guns out of the hands of children will save lives.  You know that.  I am sure you don't let kids play with loaded guns.

But you would rather let more people die and more kids kill themselves than oppose the NRA or the Right-wing echo chamber that tells you what to say.

You can still sleep with a loaded gun under your pillow or mattress to protect yourself from burglars, so i don't see any thing bad that could come from this law that would be worse than more children dying from playing with loaded guns.
(04-05-2016, 09:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have mentioned numerous times that I am in favor of stricter regulations to include registration and licensing. 

Then why the hell did you say this?

(04-04-2016, 11:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The point is that making more laws doesn't stop criminal activity.