Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
news from OTAs
(05-27-2021, 09:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You aren't wrong, but saying we now have players who want to win leads to people discussing players who "didn't want to win" and if their actions fit those of players who wanted to win or didn't want to win and blah blah blah.  I get that it is an optimistic comment, but it throws shade on past players and brings them into the topic of OTAs.

That gets us arguing and no one here wants to back down because we all want to win....an argument. 

That’s fair. But I would think most people take Sled’s homer takes with a big grain of salt by now...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 09:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s fair. But I would think most people take Sled’s homer takes with a big grain of salt by now...

I do, but it's also just too damn fun.  I can't help it, and I'm not just picking on the guy...I like to throw myself on the train, but I'll admit this one is more logical than the "Binns can be awesome" or "AJ McCarron can be the Tom Brady to Dalton's Drew Bledsoe!" Oh, and I wanted to see what's his name under center in our "nothing to lose" season...what was his name....6'7 or so undrafted QB....aaargh this is killing me. I know it wasn't Logan Woodside.

The Burrow hype is getting to be right up there with the Chuck Norris jokes of the past few decades, and it's a hoot.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 09:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I do, but it's also just too damn fun.  I can't help it, and I'm not just picking on the guy...I like to throw myself on the train, but I'll admit this one is more logical than the "Binns can be awesome" or "AJ McCarron can be the Tom Brady to Dalton's Drew Bledsoe!" Oh, and I wanted to see what's his name under center in our "nothing to lose" season...what was his name....6'7 or so undrafted QB....aaargh this is killing me. I know it wasn't Logan Woodside.

The Burrow hype is getting to be right up there with the Chuck Norris jokes of the past few decades, and it's a hoot.

Jake Dolegala
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2021, 07:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Dunlap posted a depth chart on social media before a game because HE had been moved down it

AJ Green took it easy in 2019 or else he had the worst sprained ankle in the history of the world

Andy Dalton when he got benched and demanded a trade

Do you need more?

Funny you put two players in Dalton and Green who actually took leadership as rookies during a year when there was a contract impasse if i remember.. those two  are so anti to lack of leadership and will to win and put team first.. it was refreshing after the antics of Chad and Palmer at end of their career with Bengals .... sure we have had down years over the last few (Burrow first year included) but if it was not for Dalton and Green era of 5 straight playoffs who knows where this franchise would have ended up...
Reply/Quote
Sometimes old habits die hard, and people don't like change. I think THAT is what happened with some of our vets. I read that Green didn't like his role in the offense. Dunlap obviously didn't like his. They wanted out. One quit, one went through the motions to finish his tenure. It's pretty simple to me, they never bought in. So, as a staff, you want guys who do. It's not "they didn't wanna win", or "these new guys wanna win".... it's who's on board?

Now that it's apparently the case that everyone is on the same page....this team needs to be at least 9-7/7-9, or the entire staff needs to go.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 12:19 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Jake Dolegala

That's the one!  Big Brother Jake Bob Dole Galaga. 
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 09:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I do, but it's also just too damn fun.  I can't help it, and I'm not just picking on the guy...I like to throw myself on the train, but I'll admit this one is more logical than the "Binns can be awesome" or "AJ McCarron can be the Tom Brady to Dalton's Drew Bledsoe!"  Oh, and I wanted to see what's his name under center in our "nothing to lose" season...what was his name....6'7 or so undrafted QB....aaargh this is killing me.  I know it wasn't Logan Woodside.

Not sure, but I hope you aren't attributing those to me..... although I did want to see Dolegala over FINLEY. As for being a homer, I'll own that, but if it weren't for mine and a few other posters comments, JN would read exactly like Smack Talk. Nothing but running the team down no matter what they do. 
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 09:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: None, but if you want to keep talking about players not on the team you should start a different thread.

All of the discussion of former players I have seen in this thread have dealt with their reaction to our CURRENT coaches.

I understand why some people don't want to hear it, but it is certainly relevant to our CURRENT situation.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 08:33 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Not sure, but I hope you aren't attributing those to me..... although I did want to see Dolegala over FINLEY. As for being a homer, I'll own that, but if it weren't for mine and a few other posters comments, JN would read exactly like Smack Talk. Nothing but running the team down no matter what they do. 

I don't see how you can be considered a "homer" considering how you love to shit on former players and coaches.

You don't seem to be a Bengal fan.  Instead you are a Zac Taylor fan.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 09:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Because this happens when you don't have any championship teams...every few years you get new players to go with the same old GM/Coaches/Owner and you say "AH HA!  Finally, we have players who WANT to win and can win!  Those old guys were just natural born losers and everything is fixed now!"  I'm editorializing a bit, but every few years something gets overhauled and we conveniently blame not winning on the parts that left, not the parts that remain.

In 2011 we still had Marvin Lewis, but it's all good because it was Carson/Chad/TO that were the problem and we replaced them with Dalton and AJ who actually wanted to be here.

In 2019 we had Dalton and AJ on the decline and John Ross doing zilch but it was ok because we got rid of that bum Marvin and we had a HC in Zac Taylor who was FINALLY going to get these guys playing to their potential.

Now Andy "Trade me to the Bears" Dalton and AJ "I'm too hurt to play for a crappy team" Green are gone and we replaced them with players who WANT to be here and win.

Decent chance in 2022 we're talking about how excited we are to see what Burrow and company can do with a REAL HC who knows how to win now that that bum ZT is gone.  Every off-season's optimism is bolstered by a goodly amount of middle finger for the guys who aren't here anymore.  Hell, Jeremy Hill alone being gone probably bolstered our spirits these past few rough years. 

Are you trying to say that some fans of this team aren't exactly rational? 
On the other hand I got new shoe strings that make my old shoes want to protect my ugly old toenails better. My new shoe strings want to win more than my old strings ever did. What's that got to do with the Bengals you may ask..Isn't it obvious? If you have to ask you just don't get the big picture..lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 08:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't see how you can be considered a "homer" considering how you love to shit on former players and coaches.

You don't seem to be a Bengal fan.  Instead you are a Zac Taylor fan.

Oh eat one Fred. I didn't label myself a homer, other people did. And I've been a Bengals fan since their very first game. And yes, I like Taylor, but I am also on record that this is his make or break year for me. And outside of whinebag Dunlap, which former player have I shit on? 
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 09:19 AM)Sled21 Wrote:  And outside of whinebag Dunlap, which former player have I shit on? 

Pretty much all of them when you claim that we just now have brought in guys who want to win.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 10:37 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Pretty much all of them when you claim that we just now have brought in guys who want to win.

So no answer huh?
Reply/Quote
Meh, this pretty overblown (even for us). It's nice to see our players at OTAs but Patrick Mahommes and Tom Brady not being at OTAs probably doesn't spell doom and gloom for them. I'd wager they want to win in 2021.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 12:56 PM)Sled21 Wrote: So no answer huh?

No.  That was a clear and exact answer.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 10:37 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Pretty much all of them when you claim that we just now have brought in guys who want to win.

General statement if I ever heard one here Fred.

We actually have brought in players who have won A LOT...

So they know what is like and know how to handle it.

Our roster has been turned over like crazy the last few years under Taylor.

He hasn't won yet of course but we will see, I like the roster moves.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 02:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: General statement if I ever heard one here Fred.

We actually have brought in players who have won A LOT...

So they know what is like and know how to handle it.

Our roster has been turned over like crazy the last few years under Taylor.

He hasn't won yet of course but we will see, I like the roster moves.

But the guys who left in the turnover also won a lot.  It is ridiculous to claim that they did not want to win.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 02:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But the guys who left in the turnover also won a lot.  It is ridiculous to claim that they did not want to win.

True, of course they wanted to win, problem was, they were either over the hill or couldn't play in Taylor and Lou's scheme well.

I think all players want to win, just some more than others and some are more concerned about themselves and their families
than just winning which is also understandable to an extent.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 02:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, of course they wanted to win, problem was, they were either over the hill or couldn't play in Taylor and Lou's scheme well.

Lawson and Jackson played well enough in Lou's scheme to get contracts for $45 million and $42 million.  And there is a huge difference between claiming a player is "over the hill" and accusing him of not wanting to win.

It just really bothers me to see fans shit on former players and coaches just to try and prop up Taylor.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2021, 03:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Lawson and Jackson played well enough in Lou's scheme to get contracts for $45 million and $42 million.  And there is a huge difference between claiming a player is "over the hill" and accusing him of not wanting to win.

It just really bothers me to see fans shit on former players and coaches just to try and prop up Taylor.

No need to prop up Taylor, he needs to earn it. So far he has 6 wins in 2 frickin' years.

Agree with that, just saying you shouldn't say Sled is hating on pretty much ALL of those former players and coaches.

A little to general of a statement.
Reply/Quote