Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
news from OTAs
(05-26-2021, 08:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dalton and Dunlap wanted to win.  They only wanted away from the Bengals when it was clear they would not win here.

When your head coach can't tell that Dalton was better than Finley then it is time to get out of here if you care about winning. 
And it is pretty much the opposite of "acting like a child".  Children will sit quietly and not complain when they get treated like shit by incompetent bosses.  Real men get the hell out of there.

Well Dalton certainly wasn't winning, so giving the next guy up seems like a logical move. So it didn't work. At least he tried something to create a spark instead of continuing to lose with Dalton. (not hating on Dalton)
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 04:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Carlos Dunlap was an edge rusher who had a total of 1 sack on an 0-7 team. While you, Fred and others think it "treating him like shit" or "incompetent" but I have no issue with the coach trying a little different approach. Obviously Carlos had to show folks on the doll where Zac hurt him.
I think Dunlap's main issue was the coaches were acting like children and weren't men enough to discuss they're plans with him. Which I think as a player who played here for 10 years he was owed and if the coaches think they don't need to communicate with there players that in part shows they're incompetence. After these past 2 years I don't know how anyone has faith in this coaching staff.

I'm glad our players have a good vibe starting and everyone is involved in the ota's but to act like some of the past players mentioned didn't care about winning is a little ridiculous. 
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 05:42 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I think Dunlap's main issue was the coaches were acting like children and weren't men enough to discuss they're plans with him. Which I think as a player who played here for 10 years he was owed and if the coaches think they don't need to communicate with there players that in part shows they're incompetence. After these past 2 years I don't know how anyone has faith in this coaching staff.

I'm glad our players have a good vibe starting and everyone is involved in the ota's but to act like some of the past players mentioned didn't care about winning is a little ridiculous. 

I know at least one person that acted like a child in the Carlos Dunlap situation. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Preseason games are a couple months away, but it appears TheBengals board is in at least mid-season shape.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 05:42 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I think Dunlap's main issue was the coaches were acting like children and weren't men enough to discuss they're plans with him. Which I think as a player who played here for 10 years he was owed and if the coaches think they don't need to communicate with there players that in part shows they're incompetence. After these past 2 years I don't know how anyone has faith in this coaching staff.

I think the parting of ways was mutually appreciated.  I don't think that the coaching staff should have had to clear their plans with a player, prior to implementing them, or that a 10 year veteran of the NFL should have behaved in the way that he did, either.  I love the production that Dunlap gave the Bengals for so many seasons, but it was obvious to even the most casual of observers that he was not playing hard like we were used to seeing.  At the point where he decided to leverage his feelings on the coaching staff by not playing hard, and taking team stuff public, he became an expensive liability rather than a valuable asset.

I'm happy for Carlos that he found a home in Seattle, and is comfortable playing there.  The adrenalin boost when he was traded boosted his stock a little bit.  However, he was still cut, and then re-signed for about half of what he was making previously.  Sorry to see his Bengal career end on a sour note, as I would have liked to have seen him retire as a Bengal.  But as they say, the NFL is a business, and he wasn't living up to his paycheck.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 07:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think the parting of ways was mutually appreciated.  I don't think that the coaching staff should have had to clear their plans with a player, prior to implementing them, or that a 10 year veteran of the NFL should have behaved in the way that he did, either.  I love the production that Dunlap gave the Bengals for so many seasons, but it was obvious to even the most casual of observers that he was not playing hard like we were used to seeing.  At the point where he decided to leverage his feelings on the coaching staff by not playing hard, and taking team stuff public, he became an expensive liability rather than a valuable asset.

I'm happy for Carlos that he found a home in Seattle, and is comfortable playing there.  The adrenalin boost when he was traded boosted his stock a little bit.  However, he was still cut, and then re-signed for about half of what he was making previously.  Sorry to see his Bengal career end on a sour note, as I would have liked to have seen him retire as a Bengal.  But as they say, the NFL is a business, and he wasn't living up to his paycheck.
Carlos went to Seattle and his production went up. While I haven't looked up the stats I'd say it's safe to say the Bengals pressure production did not.

I think this coaching staff is quick to blame the player for why they're scheme isn't working and not look at the scheme itself.

I would consider myself more than the casual observer and I didn't see any problem with Dunlaps play other than the lack of stats which the whole team had. While I agree usually you don't want players to make a scene and cause unnecessary drama. I had no problem with Dunlap calling out this coaching staff because they have done absolutely nothing these past 2 seasons. 
I have liked the past few drafts and will see what actually comes out of it this season. No more excuses and no more blaming players.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 08:00 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Carlos went to Seattle and his production went up. While I haven't looked up the stats I'd say it's safe to say the Bengals pressure production did not.

I think this coaching staff is quick to blame the player for why they're scheme isn't working and not look at the scheme itself.

I would consider myself more than the casual observer and I didn't see any problem with Dunlaps play other than the lack of stats which the whole team had. While I agree usually you don't want players to make a scene and cause unnecessary drama. I had no problem with Dunlap calling out this coaching staff because they have done absolutely nothing these past 2 seasons. 
I have liked the past few drafts and will see what actually comes out of it this season. No more excuses and no more blaming players.

In 8 games with Seattle, Dunlap had a total of 14 tackles, it just happened that 5 of them were sacks, as all he was asked to do was rush the passer.  However, I'm not trying to prolong an argument, as we clearly see the situation differently.  We're both fans of the team, and certainly entitled to our own opinions and viewpoints on how things transpired.  Like I said earlier, I wish Carlos were going to retire a Bengal, but I'm glad that he seems to be happy with Seattle.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It would be nice to not have to scroll through 5 pages of talk about a player not even on the team anymore in a thread about Bengals OTA’s...

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 04:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Carlos Dunlap was an edge rusher who had a total of 1 sack on an 0-7 team. While you, Fred and others think it "treating him like shit" or "incompetent" but I have no issue with the coach trying a little different approach. Obviously Carlos had to show folks on the doll where Zac hurt him.

ZT hurts everyone by being a bad coach.  I'm not going to bat for Dunlap so much as not begrudging him for not wanting to play the rest of his career for ZT and his bum pals. 

There is a decent chance ZT gets canned at the end of this year and we spend the off season talking about how Burrow is still technically a rookie. 
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 08:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: In 8 games with Seattle, Dunlap had a total of 14 tackles, it just happened that 5 of them were sacks, as all he was asked to do was rush the passer.  However, I'm not trying to prolong an argument, as we clearly see the situation differently.  We're both fans of the team, and certainly entitled to our own opinions and viewpoints on how things transpired.  Like I said earlier, I wish Carlos were going to retire a Bengal, but I'm glad that he seems to be happy with Seattle.
Your right. I wasn't really trying to argue but I am a homer when it comes to the players for sure. When a guy puts on a Bengals uniform he has to be a special kind of terrible for me to give up on him. It's an end of an era with these players leaving and I like to look back at the good era it was and not blame the players. But its a new era and we're all fans of the team and we're all excited for what the season / future of this team so here's to a good season with lots of positive signs for the future.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 08:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It would be nice to not have to scroll through 5 pages of talk about a player not even on the team anymore in a thread about Bengals OTA’s...

I assume that's how it goes for many teams that haven't won a SB with their old players.  I bet 50% of the posts on the bears forums are about how Justin Fields wants to win and Mitch Trubisky was a cowardly loser.  Hell they still have Jay Cutler to kick around. 
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 09:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I assume that's how it goes for many teams that haven't won a SB with their old players.  I bet 50% of the posts on the bears forums are about how Justin Fields wants to win and Mitch Trubisky was a cowardly loser.  Hell they still have Jay Cutler to kick around. 

What in the world does any of that have to do with people talking about Dunlap for 5 pages?

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 09:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What in the world does any of that have to do with people talking about Dunlap for 5 pages?

Because this happens when you don't have any championship teams...every few years you get new players to go with the same old GM/Coaches/Owner and you say "AH HA!  Finally, we have players who WANT to win and can win!  Those old guys were just natural born losers and everything is fixed now!"  I'm editorializing a bit, but every few years something gets overhauled and we conveniently blame not winning on the parts that left, not the parts that remain.

In 2011 we still had Marvin Lewis, but it's all good because it was Carson/Chad/TO that were the problem and we replaced them with Dalton and AJ who actually wanted to be here.

In 2019 we had Dalton and AJ on the decline and John Ross doing zilch but it was ok because we got rid of that bum Marvin and we had a HC in Zac Taylor who was FINALLY going to get these guys playing to their potential.

Now Andy "Trade me to the Bears" Dalton and AJ "I'm too hurt to play for a crappy team" Green are gone and we replaced them with players who WANT to be here and win.

Decent chance in 2022 we're talking about how excited we are to see what Burrow and company can do with a REAL HC who knows how to win now that that bum ZT is gone.  Every off-season's optimism is bolstered by a goodly amount of middle finger for the guys who aren't here anymore.  Hell, Jeremy Hill alone being gone probably bolstered our spirits these past few rough years. 
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 09:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What in the world does any of that have to do with people talking about Dunlap for 5 pages?

What news do you have about today's OTAs
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 06:53 PM)MTBengalsFan Wrote: Preseason games are a couple months away, but it appears TheBengals board is in at least mid-season shape.

It's because we're all guys who wanna win...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 09:26 PM)jason Wrote: It's because we're all guys who wanna win...

Man, if I ever quit this board the guy who replaces me is going to show more leadership in his first post than I ever did!
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 09:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Man, if I ever quit this board the guy who replaces me is going to show more leadership in his first post than I ever did!

No question. He gonna be sexier and have a hot wife too. Cant wait for you to retire honestly.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 09:29 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: No question. He gonna be sexier and have a hot wife too. Cant wait for you to retire honestly.

That post took a lot of swagger!
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 09:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What news do you have about today's OTAs

None, but if you want to keep talking about players not on the team you should start a different thread.

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2021, 09:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: None, but if you want to keep talking about players not on the team you should start a different thread.

You aren't wrong, but saying we now have players who want to win leads to people discussing players who "didn't want to win" and if their actions fit those of players who wanted to win or didn't want to win and blah blah blah.  I get that it is an optimistic comment, but it throws shade on past players and brings them into the topic of OTAs.

That gets us arguing and no one here wants to back down because we all want to win....an argument. 
Reply/Quote