Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transgender Girl Scout cookie sales
(02-21-2016, 03:03 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Actually religious people get couseling before they join a religion.     And this is a false cpmparasion anyway....  You are not born a religion.   But you are born a male or female.

How so? I know of a lot of people that walk into church and get saved on the spot. No counseling at all. In judaism, if you are not born into it, you have to study really hard and do a lot of work to convert. I have never heard of counseling before joining a religion. 
(02-21-2016, 03:17 PM)CharvelPlaya Wrote: How so? I know of a lot of people that walk into church and get saved on the spot. No counseling at all. In judaism, if you are not born into it, you have to study really hard and do a lot of work to convert. I have never heard of counseling before joining a religion. 

My ex wife attended counseling sessions with our priest when she converted. They do this so you are not just joining on a whim.
(02-21-2016, 03:21 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: My ex wife attended counseling sessions with our priest when she converted.   They do this so you are not just joining on a whim.

Ahhhh......Catholic. I can see that. But I am right that I can walk into just about any Church and get saved just by asking. 
(02-21-2016, 03:26 PM)CharvelPlaya Wrote: Ahhhh......Catholic. I can see that. But I am right that I can walk into just about any Church and get saved just by asking. 

Can't join the church though.  
(02-21-2016, 03:36 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Can't join the church though.  

Sure you can. Catholics and Orthodox are the only ones I know of with anything like you describe. All it takes is putting your name down on the roster for most denominations. I'm Lutheran, which other than Episcopalian is the closest in structure to Catholic, and we didn't have any sort of counseling.
(02-21-2016, 03:45 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Sure you can. Catholics and Orthodox are the only ones I know of with anything like you describe. All it takes is putting your name down on the roster for most denominations. I'm Lutheran, which other than Episcopalian is the closest in structure to Catholic, and we didn't have any sort of counseling.

You can always attend church. But when my mate joined a baptist church here he had to attend bible reading and meet with other guys on the group.

Lutheran is like Catholic light. So I can see why you have loose rules.
(02-21-2016, 03:48 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You can always attend church. But when my mate joined a baptist church here he had to attend bible reading and meet with other guys on the group.

Lutheran is like Catholic light. So I can see why you have loose rules.

None of the Baptist churches around here have anything like that, interesting.

And yeah, Lutheranism is like laid-back Catholicism. LOL
(02-21-2016, 03:54 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: None of the Baptist churches around here have anything like that, interesting.

Idk maybe because I'm in the south. If you can call Florida that I guess lol
(02-21-2016, 03:21 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: My ex wife attended counseling sessions with our priest when she converted.   They do this so you are not just joining on a whim.

How can they tell if you are just joining on a whim?

What exactly would keep a person from being accepted.

From what I can tell churches are trying to get as many as possible to join.  I don't notice them being very picky.
(02-21-2016, 04:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How can they tell if you are just joining on a whim?

What exactly would keep a person from being accepted.

From what I can tell churches are trying to get as many as possible to join.  I don't notice them being very picky.

It's an informal interview to an extent. They discuss the teachings and how you came to this decision. In the baptist church I referenced above my mate had basically a sponsor. It was one of the men from his bible study group. They spent time getting to know each other and their families. These churches are like families so I can see why they want to know your intentions before you are a full member. And I must say we have attended his church and bible study and they are all fantastic people. I wish I knew the bible as well as some of these guys. That's one of my regrets in life was that I never really got to know the bible well.
(02-21-2016, 04:36 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It's an informal interview to an extent. They discuss the teachings and how you came to this decision. In the baptist church I referenced above my mate had basically a sponsor. It was one of the men from his bible study group. They spent time getting to know each other and their families. These churches are like families so I can see why they want to know your intentions before you are a full member. And I must say we have attended his church and bible study and they are all fantastic people. I wish I knew the bible as well as some of these guys. That's one of my regrets in life was that I never really got to know the bible well.

We have sponsors, in case we have questions or anything. But it's nothing like a counseling session. Definitely helps for integrating in, though.
(02-21-2016, 04:38 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: We have sponsors, in case we have questions or anything. But it's nothing like a counseling session. Definitely helps for integrating in, though.

I think you know what I meant. I was trying to explain it to a non religious person in a cold way since they often think that way.

We go to 2 churches. A Catholic Church and an orthodox. Very similar and two very different cultures. We are by far more friendly with the orthodox members than the Catholic ones. But it has nothing to do with preference they just put a priority on socializing and often out Catholic friends are busy. My wife being orthodox they of course allowed me to join but they know I learn the difference from my wife and our friends. Our children will grow up in both churches and can choose for themselves when they are older. Heck they may still go between them. Really we don't care as long as God is a part of their lives.
(02-21-2016, 03:54 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: None of the Baptist churches around here have anything like that, interesting.

I've been to Baptist churches that require "training" as part of membership, Something along a 4-week Sunday School taught by the pastor. The Pastor talks about responsibilities of membership, the church's vision, and what it means to be a Christian.

I have also been to churches that have invitations at the end of service. You can become a member through simple transfer of membership from another church, public profession of faith (If you state you have already been Baptisted), or through profession of faith and Baptism. 

I always preferred the latter, as I have always held it is a personal relationship. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I remember when if a guy wanted to put on a dress and lipstick, what he did in his bedroom was nobody's business. Now he (zhe?) needs special consideration and accomodation.

We used to encourage our kids that everyone is unique, and to be an individual. We worked to breakdown gender stereotypes and roles, and in fact we were trying to work toward a gender neutral society. If not wearing a dress causes deep psychological issues for a young boy, then that boy has deep psychological issues.

I suppose we should just enable schizophrenia by making it official and issuing them a second social security number.
(02-21-2016, 06:03 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I remember when if a guy wanted to put on a dress and lipstick, what he did in his bedroom was nobody's business.  Now he (zhe?) needs special consideration and accomodation.

In what way are these people demanding you accommodate them?
(02-21-2016, 06:03 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I remember when if a guy wanted to put on a dress and lipstick, what he did in his bedroom was nobody's business.  Now he (zhe?) needs special consideration and accomodation.

We used to encourage our kids that everyone is unique, and to be an individual.  We worked to breakdown gender stereotypes and roles, and in fact we were trying to work toward a gender neutral society.  If not wearing a dress causes deep psychological issues for a young boy, then that boy has deep psychological issues.

I suppose we should just enable schizophrenia by making it official and issuing them a second social security number.

If we use their special language nonsense then we just perpetuate their delusions. No one gets right unless they feel slightly uncomfortable.
(02-21-2016, 09:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: In what way are these people demanding you accommodate them?

I guess you haven't seen the past threads about a private or unisex bathroom, or little Johnny being allowed to use the girls room.

There was another thread about a possible state law (NY?) demanding the use of a new set of pronouns.

But no one is demanding we accommodate them, right?
(02-21-2016, 03:48 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You can always attend church.   But when my mate joined a baptist church here he had to attend bible reading and meet with other guys on the group.    

Lutheran is like Catholic light.   So I can see why you have loose rules.

Dunno. I'm in Baptist country and not familiar with anything you're describing. Former CoC, current Methodist but I've been to Baptist churches fairly regularly as there's one about every 80 feet here. 

Ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration. But honestly, my county recently repealed prohibition. Part of that meant writing new ordinances. The county's first one was rejected because of  not being within so many yards of a church limited it to residential zones. Seriously. That's how many churches there are.
(02-21-2016, 04:52 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I think you know what I meant.   I was trying to explain it to a non religious person in a cold way since they often think that way.    

We go to 2 churches.   A Catholic Church and an orthodox.   Very similar and two very different cultures.   We are by far more friendly with the orthodox members than the Catholic ones.    But it has nothing to do with preference they just put a priority on socializing and often out Catholic friends are busy.    My wife being orthodox they of course allowed me to join but they know I learn the difference from my wife and our friends.    Our children will grow up in both churches and can choose for themselves when they are older.   Heck they may still go between them.    Really we don't care as long as God is a part of their lives.

Orthodox Christianity, the result of The Great Schism between the East and West. Mass is way too damn long lol!
I bet your wife is either Ukrainian or Russian, not Serbian or Greek.
(02-21-2016, 10:27 PM)Benton Wrote: Dunno. I'm in Baptist country and not familiar with anything you're describing. Former CoC, current Methodist but I've been to Baptist churches fairly regularly as there's one about every 80 feet here. 

Ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration. But honestly, my county recently repealed prohibition. Part of that meant writing new ordinances. The county's first one was rejected because of  not being within so many yards of a church limited it to residential zones. Seriously. That's how many churches there are.

True story, I am going ELCA because the church really is about 80 feet away. LOL

Well, that and it splits the difference between my wife's Catholicism and my Anabaptist upbringing.