Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
PnR Decorum and suspensions
(07-14-2017, 12:29 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: What is allowed and not allowed word wise is quite fluid.  It would be nice if these would be added to the filter instead of just random suspensions for words that no one knows is not permitted.  

If I typed a list of the words I have been suspended or banned for it would be eye opening as most wouldn't even expect pronouns to be on that list.  

I won't because I got a month for posting that one time.

My guess is it isn't the specific words as much as the context of use.
(07-14-2017, 12:29 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: What is allowed and not allowed word wise is quite fluid.  It would be nice if these would be added to the filter instead of just random suspensions for words that no one knows is not permitted.  

If I typed a list of the words I have been suspended or banned for it would be eye opening as most wouldn't even expect pronouns to be on that list.  

I think most people accept that slurs are not allowed. Making up code words to mean the slur you're no longer allowed to use would seem like what Wildcats explained to be an attempt to circumvent the filters. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-14-2017, 12:29 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: What is allowed and not allowed word wise is quite fluid. It would be nice if these would be added to the filter instead of just random suspensions for words that no one knows is not permitted.

I don't believe pronoun usage in itself gets one suspension, I believe it is the perceived intent behind mislabeling that can result in suspension.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-14-2017, 12:27 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't like mod critiquing out in the open because it just isn't good form. I should stop there because we know where this is going if I continue, but I must. After all, this thread is a lot about clarifying how things go in here with the mods.

I think I see where clarification is being sought. To me, masking to get around censors would be putting spaces or hyphens between letters to get around it. I'll use a word that is not censored for effect:

D A M N or D-A-M-N/D*A*M*N

That makes the word still readable and is skirting around the filter. By using D$%^ or D___ it does make a reader know what the word is without it being readable to everyone and is no different than someone saying "the D-word." If we are including those things into the idea of skirting the censor on the board, then anytime someone says "the F-word" then they would be skirting it as well.

Personally, I just type out **** because I am lazy and don't care, but I can see why there is confusion there when compounded with inconsistent application.

I am not in favor of trying to get around the filters. That is suspension worthy. The filter list should grow to ensure all these undercover words are included.
(07-14-2017, 12:34 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't believe pronoun usage in itself gets one suspension, I believe it is the perceived intent behind mislabeling that can result in suspension.

I don't really want to get into this on this thread but "perceived intent" varies by whomever is reading. Both of us could read the same thing and have two different "perceived intent" of the language. IMO that kind of stuff needs to just be deleted because it's so subjective.
(07-14-2017, 12:34 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I think most people accept that slurs are not allowed. Making up code words to mean the slur you're no longer allowed to use would seem like what Wildcats explained to be an attempt to circumvent the filters. 

Pat, you believe that he or she is a slur. Should we start suspending people for that? Or just have a word with ourselves and just delete a post and move on.
(07-14-2017, 12:34 PM)Au165 Wrote: My guess is it isn't the specific words as much as the context of use.

Which is widely subjective. That's the issue.
(07-14-2017, 12:42 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Pat, you believe that he or she is a slur.   Should we start suspending people for that?   Or just have a word with ourselves and just delete a post and move on.

Resorting to fabrications over why people are getting suspended doesn't help the dialogue here. Don't use profanity or slurs. Don't use everyday words as slurs in an attempt to bypass filters. 

I don't even know what making up code words does to advance one's dialogue, message, or point other than to demonstrate a desire to antagonize or disparage. It's for these obvious reasons the kick butt mods we have here do the things they do.

(07-14-2017, 12:48 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Resorting to fabrications over why people are getting suspended doesn't help the dialogue here. Don't use profanity or slurs. Don't use everyday words as slurs in an attempt to bypass filters. 

I don't even know what making up code words does to advance your dialogue, message, or point other than to demonstrate a desire to antagonize or disparage. 

I have not used any slur or profanity. Just because you think a pronoun is a slur doesn't make it so.

I could post about cupcakes, unicorns, and rainbows and a few would find a problem.
The mods have the patience of saints

(07-14-2017, 12:34 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I think most people accept that slurs are not allowed. Making up code words to mean the slur you're no longer allowed to use would seem like what Wildcats explained to be an attempt to circumvent the filters. 

Thanks, Pat. We're really trying to keep it as simple as this: Avoid using anything that conflicts with our code of conduct, regardless of source or intention. I sincerely believe all involved here understand what that entails. While this may sound harsh, and I'm NOT meaning for it to sound that way, our code of conduct exists as is for a wide variety of reasons. It may change somewhat in the future, but for now it is what we administer this board by. Further questions should be directed to any staff member via private message.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
There needs to be a maximum number of threads created in a day, or something similar. This forum has recently been hijacked.

(07-14-2017, 12:42 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Pat, you believe that he or she is a slur.   Should we start suspending people for that?   Or just have a word with ourselves and just delete a post and move on.

(07-14-2017, 12:48 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Resorting to fabrications over why people are getting suspended doesn't help the dialogue here. Don't use profanity or slurs. Don't use everyday words as slurs in an attempt to bypass filters. 

I don't even know what making up code words does to advance one's dialogue, message, or point other than to demonstrate a desire to antagonize or disparage. It's for these obvious reasons the kick butt mods we have here do the things they do.

(07-14-2017, 12:50 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I have not used any slur or profanity.   Just because you think a pronoun is a slur doesn't make it so.

I could post about cupcakes, unicorns, and rainbows and a few would find a problem.

Y'all need to PM each other and work it out (work it out, as in come to some kind of agreement or understanding for whatever you keep bringing in the threads). I have spoke with you both off-forum and I know you are both good guys.  I don't expect that you will ever agree on politics and stuff. Heck, I probably won't ever agree on politics with either of you. But at least air out whatever grudges either of you may hold. The threads aren't the place to do that because it disrupts other people's discussions. That is something I'm charged with policing.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
As far as bad words, I always try to avoid George Carlin's list of the Seven Dirty Words You Cannot Say on Television (which is out of date because you now can get away with saying a lot of these):
and ****

Although I'm not sure about ****. I'll need to check with 'Holic on that one.

Just avoid those and you should be fine. ThumbsUp
(07-14-2017, 06:33 PM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: There needs to be a maximum number of threads created in a day, or something similar. This forum has recently been hijacked.

That idea is being kicked around by the Mods and Admins, in addition to other ideas like only having the forum open certain days of the week, etc.
(07-14-2017, 12:50 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I have not used any slur or profanity.   Just because you think a pronoun is a slur doesn't make it so.

I have no idea what triggered your suspensions, Lucie. I always miss you when you are gone. So I am not speaking to that.

I just want to make a general comment on how context can make virtually any word a slur. And it is not really so subjective.

E.g., pronouns are not slurs in themselves. But they could easily become so.

If I don't like a male poster and start calling him "she" or "her" all the time, asking her if she is on her "period" or undergoing "menopause," neither of which are forbidden words, that would certainly count as personal insult.

I imagine I would get a PM from the mods at least. If I asked them what was wrong with using pronouns or insisted that their judgment was "subjective", I think they would not put up with the obfuscation.
H
(07-14-2017, 08:38 PM)Dill Wrote: I have no idea what triggered your suspensions, Lucie. I always miss you when you are gone. So I am not speaking to that.

I just want to make a general comment on how context can make virtually any word a slur. And it is not really so subjective.

E.g., pronouns are not slurs in themselves. But they could easily become so.

If I don't like a male poster and start calling him "she" or "her" all the time, asking her if she is on her "period" or undergoing "menopause," neither of which are forbidden words, that would certainly count as personal insult.

I imagine I would get a PM from the mods at least. If I asked them what was wrong with using pronouns or insisted that their judgment was "subjective", I think they would not put up with the obfuscation.

Insulting a poster is something I do not do.

Insulting some weirdo in a news story. Sure, if it's warranted.

And thank you Dill. It's nice to be missed.
(07-14-2017, 07:18 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Y'all need to PM each other and work it out (work it out, as in come to some kind of agreement or understanding for whatever you keep bringing in the threads). I have spoke with you both off-forum and I know you are both good guys.  I don't expect that you will ever agree on politics and stuff. Heck, I probably won't ever agree on politics with either of you. But at least air out whatever grudges either of you may hold. The threads aren't the place to do that because it disrupts other people's discussions. That is something I'm charged with policing.

I have no problem working anything out via PM.
(07-14-2017, 07:24 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: As far as bad words, I always try to avoid George Carlin's list of the Seven Dirty Words You Cannot Say on Television (which is out of date because you now can get away with saying a lot of these):
and ****

Although I'm not sure about ****. I'll need to check with 'Holic on that one.

Just avoid those and you should be fine. ThumbsUp

This post makes me want to test out words in a separate post.
I'm not sure I was here when Trump was caught on tape talking about "grabbing p_ _ _ _".

Surely it had to be a topic.

I wonder how that went.