Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
PnR Decorum and suspensions
(07-17-2017, 01:45 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Problem is that in saying this, now people know that if I don't respond to a post directed at me it is often because I am thinking they are being stupid and I'm tired of dealing with them. LOL

So in effect you are calling them stupid and breaking the CoC. I wonder how you report a non-reply.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-17-2017, 01:45 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Problem is that in saying this, now people know that if I don't respond to a post directed at me it is often because I am thinking they are being stupid and I'm tired of dealing with them. LOL

No, trust me, they never figure that out.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(07-17-2017, 01:41 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I do the same thing, I just don't feel the need to brag about it. Mooning

Then kudos to you....

.... for having a big booty.

Mellow
(07-17-2017, 12:39 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I do it all the time. I get frustrated with certain posters that continually twist words or logic and you can tell by their responses that they are reading what they want to read from your post. When I feel myself get to the point that I don't know if I can respond without calling them a derogatory name, I stop posting in the thread for a while. If the thread continues on I may check it in a day or two and respond to other people, but I will often ignore the post that go me to that point. We spend so much time on here with the mentality that we must win the argument that this can be a hard thing to do. Most of us in here have that "must have the last word" mentality whether we would like to admit it or not. Sometimes, though, it is best to step back from that.

Sometimes I do feel people are stupid but it doesn't anger me much. I don't think I have ever called anyone a name, here or on the old forum. 

I don't believe I have ever not answered a post if it were addressed to a point or argument I made. But I don't think that signals a "must win" mentality. 
(07-17-2017, 02:00 PM)michaelsean Wrote: So in effect you are calling them stupid and breaking the CoC.  I wonder how you report a non-reply.

I would like to point out the non-reply by Matt to my post.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-18-2017, 09:09 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I would like to point out the non-reply by Matt to my post.  

ThumbsUp
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-18-2017, 09:09 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I would like to point out the non-reply by Matt to my post.  

Gotcha. I filed it in the non-response file. 
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]

Well, that is basically what this board has become because you can't call people stupid even when most of them deserve it.  And I'm simply too tired to show how ignorant they are.

But since calling people ignorant is offensive, I just state my case and then wait 24-36 months for them to educate themselves to formulate a qualified and intelligent response.

You're one of the few people here worth engaging.  Congrats on outrunning the mentally disabled (but NOT handicapped!!!)
--------------------------------------------------------

(07-22-2017, 02:10 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Well, that is basically what this board has become because you can't call people stupid even when most of them deserve it.  And I'm simply too tired to show how ignorant they are.

But since calling people ignorant is offensive, I just state my case and then wait 24-36 months for them to educate themselves to formulate a qualified and intelligent response.

You're one of the few people here worth engaging.  Congrats on outrunning the mentally disabled (but NOT handicapped!!!)

From my side, anyway, it is not so much that calling people "stupid" or "ignorant" is offensive, it's that it's such a non-substantive response. It does not establish that the name caller is smart and knowledgeable, more likely the opposite. When people call each other "stupid" and "ignorant," someone must be wrong, possibly both.

The only way you can be sure that YOU are not the ignorant/stupid one is precisely by showing you are not.

Otherwise expect reasonable doubt about the matter. 
Did I miss something? I thought the rule around here going forward was we were going to keep article sources closer to center, not far right or left? There have been a lot of misleading "far out" stories being posted.
(08-22-2017, 11:39 AM)Au165 Wrote: Did I miss something? I thought the rule around here going forward was we were going to keep article sources closer to center, not far right or left? There have been a lot of misleading "far out" stories being posted.

I don't think there was anything really said about that. Of course, some people have a misinformed idea about what a biased source really is, so that would be difficult to enforce.
(08-22-2017, 11:39 AM)Au165 Wrote: Did I miss something? I thought the rule around here going forward was we were going to keep article sources closer to center, not far right or left? There have been a lot of misleading "far out" stories being posted.

I think something was said about posting "fake news"--but as professional journalists would define the term, not Trump.
And the primary reason was that these false news sites are click bait to spread malware.

That's a pretty neutral standard, but even so it will primarily affect right wing "news."

I don't recall ever seeing a "far left" story posted in this forum. Maybe there have been one or two.
(08-22-2017, 01:20 PM)Dill Wrote: I think something was said about posting "fake news"--but as professional journalists would define the term, not Trump.
And the primary reason was that these false news sites are click bait to spread malware.

That's a pretty neutral standard, but even so it will primarily affect right wing "news."

I don't recall ever seeing a "far left" story posted in this forum. Maybe there have been one or two.

By objective standards, there have been a few. Far fewer than far right stories, but there have been a few.
Any time a member has a concern over a post or a link, I would encourage you to use the report feature.
(08-22-2017, 01:30 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: By objective standards, there have been a few. Far fewer than far right stories, but there have been a few.

More than a few, but I'll grant you that Lucie's links alone probably outnumber both far left and objective stories combined.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(08-22-2017, 03:27 PM)PhilHos Wrote: More than a few, but I'll grant you that Lucie's links alone probably outnumber both far left and objective stories combined.

I am not the only one allowed to create content for this board.

My threads would fall if anyone else posted topics for everyone to discuss.

As I see it the real question is where the heck is everyone else?
(08-22-2017, 03:38 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I am not the only one allowed to create content for this board.  

Quantity vs Quality

Smirk
(08-22-2017, 03:38 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I am not the only one allowed to create content for this board.  

Personally I have begun avoiding this forum. If I wanted to read the front page of Breitbart and Dailywire I'd just go there.

A lot of the posts lately have been put into the older threads like "Things Trump says..." or any of the nazi ones.

I've made a concerted effort to share links in the appropriate thread when I can.  If I start a new thread I understand it can me moved too if I missed where there is already a similar subject.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-22-2017, 03:47 PM)Benton Wrote: Quantity vs Quality

Smirk

Every one is on a different topic. And the threads at the top are the ones people want to discuss so if my threads were bad they would fall to second page with no comment.