Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 2019 OL
(05-01-2019, 12:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: hart first off the bench and jumbo OT  (6th OT)

as far as everyone flipping glenn to RT... Its not the same as LT  has he ever played on the right side of a OL?  just move him inside to OG

True, but I think Glenn would easily be an upgrade over Hart.

I just don't think you move Williams away from LT.  Glenn is signed through this year and next and has some injury history recently.

LT is the most important position on the line.  I think you just take him and leave him there as long as he's playing at a good level,
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2019, 01:28 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: When he was signed our OTS were glenn and perkins... and hart was signed with the potential to start.  He will backup both spots if not starting and be the 6th OL

That's why I said we could've signed someone cheaper. Or drafted another Tackle. Hart himself was a 7th round guy, wasn't he? He sure played like it.

(05-01-2019, 01:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I guess we were not sure we would be able to get a starter quality OT in the draft.

I understand why we re-signed Hart, but I still think we overpaid.

Also I think some of his pay was based on playing incentives.  So he may not make $7.5 million if he just sits on the bench.

Hmm.. I wonder if that's the difference between "cap hit" and "yearly cash"? Spotrac doesn't list any performance incentives, so maybe "yearly cash" is including those types of incentives? 

(05-02-2019, 07:16 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I still feel like I am the sole member of the Bobby Hart fan club.  He had some horrible penalties last year (at the most inopportune times) but at 23 years old when the season started last year, I look at him as someone that provided a significant upgrade over Ogbuehi and Fisher that didn't cost much money and has the potential to develop in to a quality starter on the right side.  

He was solid in run blocking and I think a right side with him and Glenn (possibly with Glenn at RG) would be stellar in short yardage.  

I have no idea about Miller other than his PFF rankings which look a lot like Redmond's.   

Following Ogpoopoo was the best thing to happen in Hart's life. Og was so historically bad, he made a bad tackle look semi-competent in comparison. Honestly I'd like Hart as a backup swing Tackle, at a cheaper price. I just think we panicked and overpaid.

(05-02-2019, 09:34 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He's making 5.1 or 5.5, not 7.5.

Spotrac says he's making $7.4 in total cash. The cap hit is $5.4. Either way, my opinion wouldn't change. We overpaid the guy.

Among Right Tackles, Hart ranks 7th in total cash and 12th in cap hit for 2019. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 08:12 AM)Sled21 Wrote: There is no scenario in which moving Glenn to Guard makes sense. Taylor says he wants the best 5 on the field. Glenn is top 5. If you put him at guard and Williams at LT, who is playing right tackle? (and don't say Boling, he's been on the left his entire career, we won't switch him as his career is winding down). The tackles will be Williams and Glenn. It's just a matter of which one plays which side.

I usually agree with you Sled but not here, Boling HAS played RT before and Glenn was not good last year at LT no matter how you slice it. Jonah staying at his natural position makes tons of sense, Glenn HAS played LG. I don't know why you don't think this makes sense. Boling is a better OT than Glenn right now and would be much better at RT as Glenn has never played on the right side of the Line.

(05-02-2019, 09:19 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: Boling had experience at all 5 Oline positions in college. I'd be totally fine with the coaches trying him at RT in the preseason to see how he looks.  

Damn rights Aquapod, if anything it makes the most sense the more i think about it.
Reply/Quote
I have made it a point to go back and watch as much film lately as I can find on Jonah Williams and I have to say it is impressive tape. While he may not be the best pass blocking LT in the league (before it even starts that is not a knock on him) he is a really good pass blocker however he is a monster in run blocking. He run blocks on every running down with attitude and a nasty demeanor. He just flat stonewalls defenders or pushes them way out of the play. He seamlessly disengages and is looking down the field for his next target.

I am very impressed with the run blocking of this young man and am even more excited about the drafting of this kid.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 02:31 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I have made it a point to go back and watch as much film lately as I can find on Jonah Williams and I have to say it is impressive tape. While he may not be the best pass blocking LT in the league (before it even starts that is not a knock on him) he is a really good pass blocker however he is a monster in run blocking. He run blocks on every running down with attitude and a nasty demeanor. He just flat stonewalls defenders or pushes them way out of the play. He seamlessly disengages and is looking down the field for his next target.

I am very impressed with the run blocking of this young man and am even more excited about the drafting of this kid.

Immediately probably our best Lineman, what a pick. Do you think he should stay at LT or do you think we should move him to RT?

I am starting to think we should keep him where he was comfortable in college and move some players around early on so these guys can get that chemistry early. Boling has played RT before and i think he would be much better there than Glenn and especially Hart.
Reply/Quote
Seems Glenn is as unsure as the rest of us:
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/5/2/18526780/bengals-news-cordy-glenn-jonah-williams-john-miller-bobby-hart-clint-boling

Quote:“Nobody knows. I’m pretty sure they have a plan in place,” Glenn told Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com, “They’re probably going to move a couple of guys around and see a couple of different lineups and see what they really have and what the unit to put on the field is.

“Some guys can play in a phone booth and some can’t. I can play in a phone booth and I can play on an island,” Glenn said. “[Last time I played inside was] almost 10 years ago. I don’t know (if it’s like riding a bike). It will be interesting though for sure.”
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 02:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Immediately probably our best Lineman, what a pick. Do you think he should stay at LT or do you think we should move him to RT?

I am starting to think we should keep him where he was comfortable in college and move some players around early on so these guys can get that chemistry early. Boling has played RT before and i think he would be much better there than Glenn and especially Hart.

I have been saying RT but if he is more comfortable at LT or they think his best position is LT then that is where he should play. Moving to RT might even be good for Glenn. Heck could rejuvenate his career. Glenn has the makeup and skillset to be a top shelf RT at the NFL level.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 04:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Seems Glenn is as unsure as the rest of us:
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/5/2/18526780/bengals-news-cordy-glenn-jonah-williams-john-miller-bobby-hart-clint-boling

I am guessing even our coaches are unsure of exactly what they are going to do until they get the guys on the field.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 04:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Seems Glenn is as unsure as the rest of us:

Good news, the last thing i want in our coaches is for them to be set in their ways...

(05-02-2019, 04:54 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I have been saying RT but if he is more comfortable at LT or they think his best position is LT then that is where he should play. Moving to RT might even be good for Glenn. Heck could rejuvenate his career. Glenn has the makeup and skillset to be a top shelf RT at the NFL level.

Glenn definately has the build and body for RT no question, it is just he has never played on the right side of the O-line. Boling has played all 5 positions on the Line. Cordy Glenn played LG next to Boling at Georgia. I think it would be less of a big time switch to put Boling at RT, Glenn at LG in between Jonah and Billy but who knows?

(05-02-2019, 05:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am guessing even our coaches are unsure of exactly what they are going to do until they get the guys on the field.

Have to keep all options open.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 02:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Immediately probably our best Lineman, what a pick. Do you think he should stay at LT or do you think we should move him to RT?

If Jonah Williams wins the LT position in camp and preseason, he should be awarded the spot.  If he proves to not be ready for NFL rushers, but fully capable of competing otherwise?  Let him get his feet wet on the Right side.  Bengals have more than enough qualified DL in order to carry out this test, in order to find the best 5, along with their best positioning.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
OTAs should be interesting about how they shuffle thr offensive line around. Even John Miller isnt a huge cap casualty after the 2019 season it kinda opens up the door for Michael Jordan to make an impact early on to steal the RG spot.

I really love that they attacked the line in the draft even trading up to get a guy. Last time they did that was for Bodine and he started day one.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 05:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good news, the last thing i want in our coaches is for them to be set in their ways...

Glenn definately has the build and body for RT no question, it is just he has never played on the right side of the O-line. Boling has played all 5 positions on the Line. Cordy Glenn played LG next to Boling at Georgia. I think it would be less of a big time switch to put Boling at RT, Glenn at LG in between Jonah and Billy but who knows?

Have to keep all options open.

Why move guys that you have no need to move? Boling is the LG and has been a disruption there is pointless. People are making a bigger deal out of Glenn moving to RT than probably needs to be made. Yes he is reacting opposite of the LT position but that is what training camp and practice is for.

Boling has worked out in emergencies at LT but I do not think he is a full time OT at the NFL level.
Reply/Quote
If Jonah Williams is a RT then it's a letdown of a pick. You take first round linemen to be LTs for the next decade guarding the blindside, in my opinion at least.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 06:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If Jonah Williams wins the LT position in camp and preseason, he should be awarded the spot.  If he proves to not be ready for NFL rushers, but fully capable of competing otherwise?  Let him get his feet wet on the Right side.  Bengals have more than enough qualified DL in order to carry out this test, in order to find the best 5, along with their best positioning.

Sounds great to me Sunset.

(05-02-2019, 08:39 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Why move guys that you have no need to move? Boling is the LG and has been a disruption there is pointless. People are making a bigger deal out of Glenn moving to RT than probably needs to be made. Yes he is reacting opposite of the LT position but that is what training camp and practice is for.

Boling has worked out in emergencies at LT but I do not think he is a full time OT at the NFL level.

I have been agreeing you for awhile but moving from LT to RT where you have never played IS a big deal. You have to change your foot position and step first with your other foot and use it as your base and change your leverage = Big deal.

Glenn wasn't a good LT last year and to act like he was is fooling yourself.

Glenn needs to lose a lot of weight before he can even move right and he is not the bully his size makes you think like he is. He had chances to pancake guys last year and played soft and just touched them in the run game. I am liking Jonah right now at our most important Tackle spot. Boling has played RT before and would be better than both Glenn and Hart there based on history.
Reply/Quote

Thanks Bfine for the find

Based on the Glenn comments, I have a hunch he had conversations with Turner/Zac of both. He was too direct, it appears he anticipates movement for himself and others. The good news is he seems to be good with it.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 12:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's why I said we could've signed someone cheaper. Or drafted another Tackle. Hart himself was a 7th round guy, wasn't he? He sure played like it.

Hmm.. I wonder if that's the difference between "cap hit" and "yearly cash"? Spotrac doesn't list any performance incentives, so maybe "yearly cash" is including those types of incentives? 

Following Ogpoopoo was the best thing to happen in Hart's life. Og was so historically bad, he made a bad tackle look semi-competent in comparison. Honestly I'd like Hart as a backup swing Tackle, at a cheaper price. I just think we panicked and overpaid.

Spotrac says he's making $7.4 in total cash. The cap hit is $5.4. Either way, my opinion wouldn't change. We overpaid the guy.

Among Right Tackles, Hart ranks 7th in total cash and 12th in cap hit for 2019. 

part of the hart contract is hes only 24.  So they have time to work on his game before it passes him by I imagine.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 11:11 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: part of the hart contract is hes only 24.  So they have time to work on his game before it passes him by I imagine.

I am not a fan of the Hart contract, but I also am not a fan of fans labeling young players as bad and no shot at them improving. The great teams help their young players get better, our coaches need to take average NFL players and make them good, good NFL players and make them great. The more of that they do, the better the team becomes. Boyd is a recent example, he wad not good early, he was average, but look at him now.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 11:16 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am not a fan of the Hart contract, but I also am not a fan of fans labeling young players as bad and no shot at them improving. The great teams help their young players get better, our coaches need to take average NFL players and make them good, good NFL players and make them great. The more of that they do, the better the team becomes. Boyd is a recent example, he wad not good early, he was average, but look at him now.

I'm not a big fan of the Hart deal, either.  But, if they view him as a still developing player, and he indeed get's his game up to par, then they look smart down the road.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2019, 11:33 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not a big fan of the Hart deal, either.  But, if they view him as a still developing player, and he indeed get's his game up to par, then they look smart down the road.

Hart is only 24 years old with his Prime man strength years still in front of him.

I think his youth factored heavily into the decision to sign him for 3 years.

He can play at ages 25, 26 & 27 (with his August birthdate) and ages 25, 26 & 27 are Prime years.

He could get better if he stays motivated after getting paid.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2019, 09:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I have been agreeing you for awhile but moving from LT to RT where you have never played IS a big deal. You have to change your foot position and step first with your other foot and use it as your base and change your leverage = Big deal.

No.  There is a minor adjustment, but it is not that big of a deal.

Sometimes an OT blocks down on the DT and sometimes he blocks out on the DE.  O-linemen are capable of blocking in more than one direction.
Reply/Quote