Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Chase not Practicing
(09-08-2024, 07:22 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Lol... Just a reminder that of the 18 WRs drafted between 2019 and 2021 that have posted a 1k season, only 3 haven't gotten an extension or reached FA.

Ja'Marr Chase
Tee Higgins
Darnell Mooney

That's it. Mooney never reached 650 yards in any of his other 3 seasons so he very much feels like a one-of-these-isn't-like-the-other, but every other non-Bengals 1k WR got an extension before hitting FA. Good WRs aren't just playing out their entire rookie contracts, getting tagged and playing, and happily not getting extensions.

So wide receivers are special in that they can't be tagged? Why have a franchise tag? If it'll hurt wide receivers's feelings it must go. 

2019 is an arbitrary year and 1k is an arbitrary amount of yardage, but sure we can look at that locus of players. How many of these 18 receivers have been injured as frequently as Higgins? How many are demanding the most money ever like Chase? And how many of these 18 WRs wound up being signed by a team with a QB that is as highly paid as Burrow?
Reply/Quote
So, is he playing today or not?
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 09:27 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I would have to disagree with  the age of 3 to 4 sets, college game throwing the ball so much, there is so much talent now  late 1 into later rounds with WRs.  Best example is Hill and Debo but there are numerous other WRs that are coming into their known that drafted in top 10 picks, besides teams can move up to grab one if needed.  I think Higgins is #1 with many teams when healthy and he was a 2nd round pick. 

That's just sheer numbers. Last 2012-2021 (the last 10 years with a minimum of 3 years in the NFL)...

2012-2021
Top-10 pick WRs: 7/12 have had a 1k season
17th pick-3rd round WRs: 39/116 have had a 1k season
4th-7th round WRs: 5/178 have had a 1k season

(Just missed the 2011 year where it would have been another 2/2 to make it 9/14, and if you do 8 years it was 7/10.)

Either way, that is.... 
58.3% on top-10
33.6% on 17th-3rd round
2.8% on 4th-7th.

And interestingly, there are a lot more 1-hit-wonders in that 17th-3rd round. A lot of guys I forgot ever had a 1k season because they only ever had 1. 

[Image: andrew-whitworth-with-a-nice-block-on-aj...-catch.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 10:17 AM)Tony Wrote: So, is he playing today or not?

It’s “up to hm”. Power he thinks he has but neither an Owner or coach would allow. Both MB and Zac has taken the high road but Chase is feeling himself and is about to get a reminder who is a player and who runs the team. 

If not getting a contract after all this wasn’t a reminder enough. 

This is about to get ugly. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 07:22 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Lol... Just a reminder that of the 18 WRs drafted between 2019 and 2021 that have posted a 1k season

Enough said.

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 10:22 AM)jj22 Wrote: It’s “up to hm”. Power he thinks he has but neither an Owner or coach would allow. Both MB and Zac has taken the high road but Chase is feeling himself and is about to get a reminder who is a player and who runs the team. 

He practiced this week so I see no reason not to play him. However, if Zac and MB decide to sit him, I'm 100% behind that decision as well. 
Reply/Quote
Tees being out probably makes it hard (theoretically given it is the pats and they could beat them without their top receives. We think anyway) for them to sit him to make a point. But if Tee was healthy. I could definitely see them sitting him regardless of what he chooses.

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 10:30 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He practiced this week so I see no reason not to play him. However, if Zac and MB decide to sit him, I'm 100% behind that decision as well. 

They ain't gonna sit him , It's more on Chase whether he plays or not.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 10:37 AM)Tony Wrote: They ain't gonna sit him , It's more on Chase whether he plays or not.

They can never allow for a healthy player to decide if they want to play or not right before a game. Never. If you believe that the season, locker, and credibility of HC is lost. 

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 10:17 AM)Tony Wrote: So, is he playing today or not?

He’s apparently feeling better as of last night so they are planning on him playing. Saw this on a fantasy football breaking news thing next to his name so I have no link. Just
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 10:22 AM)jj22 Wrote: It’s “up to hm”. Power he thinks he has but neither an Owner or coach would allow. Both MB and Zac has taken the high road but Chase is feeling himself and is about to get a reminder who is a player and who runs the team. 

I wish MB would get the wake up call. Seriously with his track record his is the side you take. We don't want to set a precedent of paying players 2 years early. But we're fine telling players if you play just above average in a position that isn't valued that highly we might pay you. But if in a high valued position and top league play you can get paid by another team after 5 to 6 years playing for the Bengals. 
We all side with the Bengals when they decide not to pay players and push them thru with the tag. But we are missing out by not pushing the cap to the max and getting creative. The fact the Bengals have the only tagged player not signed to a long deal and the only 2 good receivers not signed is not a positive. Do we really think the things that make us an outlier from the entire NFL is because we are smarter? 
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 10:47 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I wish MB would get the wake up call. Seriously with his track record his is the side you take. We don't want to set a precedent of paying players 2 years early. But we're fine telling players if you play just above average in a position that isn't valued that highly we might pay you. But if in a high valued position and top league play you can get paid by another team after 5 to 6 years playing for the Bengals. 
We all side with the Bengals when they decide not to pay players and push them thru with the tag. But we are missing out by not pushing the cap to the max and getting creative. The fact the Bengals have the only tagged player not signed to a long deal and the only 2 good receivers not signed is not a positive. Do we really think the things that make us an outlier from the entire NFL is because we are smarter? 

I agree with almost all of this.  But I have ZERO issues signing a superstar 2 years early.  The positives likely outweigh the negatives.  But that requires the FO to prepare for such an arrangement early on.

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 10:50 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I agree with almost all of this.  But I have ZERO issues signing a superstar 2 years early.  The positives likely outweigh the negatives.  But that requires the FO to prepare for such an arrangement early on.

I don't have a problem with it either I was just trying to point out by not trying to make one precedent you are making another to the players. 
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 10:47 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I wish MB would get the wake up call. Seriously with his track record his is the side you take. We don't want to set a precedent of paying players 2 years early. But we're fine telling players if you play just above average in a position that isn't valued that highly we might pay you. But if in a high valued position and top league play you can get paid by another team after 5 to 6 years playing for the Bengals. 
The Bengals have offered him the money he wants. Evidently it is his agent who is balking at the structure. 
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 10:40 AM)jj22 Wrote: They can never allow for a healthy player to decide if they want to play or not right before a game. Never. If you believe that the season, locker, and credibility of HC is lost. 

Yes! He said in an interview he would be a game time decision, and only he would make that decision. So not only is he questionable, he won't even tell the coaches his plans. If I owned the team, he would be told not to dress for the game and take the loss before I would allow that from a player
Reply/Quote
Burrow just walked in the building. He looks Pissed , body language all off. This ain't good.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 03:49 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Pretty much. He’s literally seen every single other significant player from his draft class get paid at this point. Where it’s on Ja’Marr is him not taking what sounds like a more than fair offer that’s on the table.

Just guessing here but, more than likely there was some give and take in those other contracts. Chase has been adamant he wants more than Jefferson and therefore not budging from what he wants. 
Reply/Quote
If this season goes down in flames due to these contract shenanigans from players AND ownership, I think I’m out.

Best team they’ve had on paper, maybe ever, and there’s already a bunch of nonsense threatening to derail the season before the ball is even snapped.

Let’s not forget - they now have to ignore all the outside noise AND play well. The world adapted more successfully to COVID than the Bengals do adversity.

I’m 40. Have never quit a team or switched loyalties in my life. But I’m getting there. I don’t ask much. I’m still here and I have *not* been given much of a ROI.

We should all be thrilled and waiting with bated breath for kickoff at 1. I’m sure some still are.

***** fix this bullshit, Bungals. I cannot imagine being somewhat isolated with my POV. If I’m correct, there is a lot at stake.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 11:00 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yes! He said in an interview he would be a game time decision, and only he would make that decision. So not only is he questionable, he won't even tell the coaches his plans. If I owned the team, he would be told not to dress for the game and take the loss before I would allow that from a player

Yea, who runs this team anyway? Chase or Zac? Of course we only hear from the media and everybody knows how the media loves to report things to get clicks and eyes so things could be fine between the FO and Chase as far as we know. The drama creates panic and that is exactly what the writers love.

I remember a year ago I said myself and commented here on a post from a member during Higgins deal that wait till Chase starts working out a contract with the FO and that it would be a major problem and here we are. I don't feel like searching my old posts but I said it then. Was just a gut feeling at the time.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2024, 11:09 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Just guessing here but, more than likely there was some give and take in those other contracts. Chase has been adamant he wants more than Jefferson and therefore not budging from what he wants. 

Yes we are guessing. But just going by what Chase said he doesn't want to beat Jefferson. He said if he wanted to beat Jefferson he would be the **** out of him and not by a penny. Seems that the whole beat him by a penny stuff wasn't accurate. Heck even the #s we saw originally wouldn't have beat Jefferson. I really wish we knew just how much they were off and what the specific hold ups are.
Reply/Quote