Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1/3 of Amercians would refuse to hide a Jew during the Holocaust
(09-29-2015, 01:40 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Oh it's definitely different from the normal spit spats that goes on here.

I'm just talking about the actual results from the poll that was conducted. People weren't taking the consequences seriously. 

Don't mistake helping for hiding. That's two different situations. It was a capital offense (Death Penalty) to anyone who knowingly provides refuge to a Jew. 

For example, I could "trade" stuff to someone that is more involved and that would minimize my direct risk and allow me to help in a way that keeps my family fairly safe at the same time. 

But the statement regarding the poll was: "One-third of American adults, if alive during the Holocaust, would refuse to hide a Jew from the Nazis." 
I just find that number to be false... It should be much higher, too many are dismissing the harsh reality of the consequences in order to feel that they are a "better" person than those that say wouldn't hide a Jew.

Meh...I'd say that 1/2 (willing to help) sounds close enough.  Throughout history many have hid, helped, supplied, or in some other way assisted those being persecuted.  Whether they be Jews or some other group of people.  In fact many did try to help the Jews during the holocaust maybe not by hiding them in their homes, but they did help, or at least try to.  If we're going to get hung up on the word "hide" as in hiding them in your home, then I would say that you might be correct that it might be more than 1/3 (not willing to help).  However if we're just meaning helping them hide in general, such as helping them out of the country, or giving them asylum in a place that a tyrannical governments military couldn't reach them, well then I'd say 1/2-2/3 (willing to help) might be pretty accurate.  But I do agree that if we're are just referring to hiding them in your home 2/3 of those polled might just be deluding themselves.