Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
10-year-old rape victim denied abortion in OH
(07-13-2022, 04:32 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Exactly how does this change you doing the same thing you're accusing him of?  Even if your accusation is 100% accurate it does not absolve you of the same sin.  I think it's very reasonable to request some actual proof of a national news story being used by federal politicians to advance their agenda.  Whether he failed to require the same proof for other stories in the past is immaterial to this, or the accusation of your engaging in the exact same behavior.

It's almost like, and I'm just hypothesizing here, almost like you only accuse people of being partisan when you personally disagree with the topic at hand.  

But I'm well aware it's just personal because you don't like me LEO.

In other words your take is so much:

[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 09:18 AM)GMDino Wrote: The ripple effect continues...

Note: with names this time for those who choose to poo-poo that these things can happen in real life.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-07-11/post-roe-many-autoimmune-patients-lose-access-to-gold-standard-drug

This is also why so many feel birth control is also possibly under attack.  Besides Ginni Thomas' husband saying it should be "looked at" again.

Ridiculous and asinine and totally unnecessary  I had to deal with idiots pushing hydroxychloroquine for COVID which caused shortages of that med and tripled the cost which still hasn't gone back down. And now this! 

I have been on methotrexate for over 30 years for rheumatoid arthritis.  Before it is prescribed rheumatologists have 2 points that they drive home.  1) the absolute need for birth control if you can get or cause pregnancy 2) the inability to drink alcohol on that drug.

You notice these people aren't worried about men taking MTX even though it is well documented that males can also cause the fetus to develop abnormalities that lead to miscarriage in the woman. It is a powerful medication.  It is also very well tested, side effects are understood and serious ones are rare.  EVERY new medication for RA and lupus is tested with and against methotrexate. 

I've been active in support groups both in person and online. Those online groups are international with tens of thousands of users.  People who use that med are very very careful about pregnancy.  They know what can happen. I think I have seen less than 5 accidental pregnancies. But this is all another case of people pushing their values onto others.  Or if you are into conspiracy theories maybe Big Pharma is pushing this so drs will prescribe the far more expensive biologic medications.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 04:56 PM)GMDino Wrote: It's almost like, and I'm just hypothesizing here, almost like you only accuse people of being partisan when you personally disagree with the topic at hand.

Uhh, I'm pro choice and have said so numerous times over the years.  Could you fail any harder? 

Quote:But I'm well aware it's just personal because you don't like me LEO.

No, I don't like you.  But that doesn't change the facts at hand either.  Which you obviously realized since you gave up trying to make a fact based argument.  Let's be very clear, anecdotes should not be a national news story.  No one wants to invade this child's privacy, if she exists, but a national news story should be corroborated, just maybe?
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 05:27 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Uhh, I'm pro choice and have said so numerous times over the years.  Could you fail any harder? 

No, I don't like you.  But that doesn't change the facts at hand either.  Which you obviously realized since you gave up trying to make a fact based argument.  Let's be very clear, anecdotes should not be a national news story.  No one wants to invade this child's privacy, if she exists, but a national news story should be corroborated, just maybe?

Yet the story was true.  It just didn't happen fast enough for your buddy.

Keep it up though.

[Image: a65f3-redherring.png?w=565&h=208]
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 05:49 PM)GMDino Wrote: Yet the story was true.  It just didn't happen fast enough for your buddy.

You'll please forgive me, but corroboration should, per journalistic standards, be done prior to a story even being published.  So, in this case, it didn't happen fast enough for anyone.

Quote:Keep it up though.

[Image: a65f3-redherring.png?w=565&h=208]

I love when you try and be clever.  It's not even dad tier and it never fails to amuse me.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 05:57 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You'll please forgive me, but corroboration should, per journalistic standards, be done prior to a story even being published.  So, in this case, it didn't happen fast enough for anyone.

I love when you try and be clever.  It's not even dad tier and it never fails to amuse me.

"journalistic standards?  Stay in your lane.  Contrary to your ego you don't know everything about everything and you have exactly zero idea what the original story writers knew.

And they told the truth and got it right.

"standards"  LMAO!
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 09:52 PM)GMDino Wrote: "journalistic standards?  Stay in your lane.  Contrary to your ego you don't know everything about everything and you have exactly zero idea what the original story writers knew.

And they told the truth and got it right.

"standards"  LMAO!

Stay in your lane, from the concrete salesman who knows everything about law enforcement.   Smirk
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 09:58 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Stay in your lane, from the concrete salesman who knows everything about law enforcement.   Smirk

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e479nbbl1pgyxklx5iue8...y.gif&ct=g]
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2022, 06:11 PM)Lucidus Wrote: Whether the story is true or not, what's your opinion on the underlying issue?

Should there be an exception to abortion bans for underage victims of rape and incest?

Well. Now that the game of "verify the story" appears to have run its course and the political chest-thumping is dying down, perhaps the real question posed in the thread can be addressed, eh.

"Should there be an exception to abortion bans for underage victims of rape and incest?"

Why or why not?
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2022, 10:19 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Well. Now that the game of "verify the story" appears to have run its course and the political chest-thumping is dying down, perhaps the real question posed in the thread can be addressed, eh.

"Should there be an exception to abortion bans for underage victims of rape and incest?"

Why or why not?

Of course there should.  
Reply/Quote
Illegal immigrant from Guatemala...... it would seem failure to enforce immigration laws is the root cause of this girls suffering.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2022, 08:20 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Illegal immigrant from Guatemala...... it would seem failure to enforce immigration laws is the root cause of this girls suffering.

Or, you know, a man.

Your post reminds of how I lost a very good friend a few years ago.  She and her husband became intense Trump supporters and virulently anti-immigration.

I'm known this girl since she was 14 years old.  She was a lover, not a fighter.  Someone who embraced everyone from any walk of life.

A story broke about a girl attacked in a school bathroom.  The initial story was that the two attackers were illegal immigrants.  She responded to the story as you did:  This is what happens when we let people in!!

I asked her what difference it made that they were not citizens.  The worst part of the story was the attack.  Something that happens all to frequently in the US, and elsewhere, no matter where the attacker is from.

Her angry response was along the lines of that if this was my daughter I'd feel the same way.  And I honestly told her I would be more mad that she was attacked than that he was from Mexico vs Ohio.

She immediately blocked me.

And, btw, the facts of the initial story turned out to not be true.  Which is ironic in this case as so many people assumed this story of the 10 year old was made up and it was true.

Sick, depraved people exist in all walks of life and from all cultures.  

Personally I focus on those who hold positions of power or claim to be better than thou who then turn out to be awful human beings because it is the hypocrisy of it all ON TOP of the crimes.

But in this case it is just another sad example of how some humans have no control over their based desires and can be just evil.

No matter where they are from.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2022, 08:20 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Illegal immigrant from Guatemala...... it would seem failure to enforce immigration laws is the root cause of this girls suffering.

Yep. But until we get that perfected we should still let girls who are impregnated by rapists choose whether they carry the product of said rape to term, right?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2022, 10:00 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Yep. But until we get that perfected we should still let girls who are impregnated by rapists choose whether they carry the product of said rape to term, right?

Also we must "get" the doctor who legally performed the abortion, I guess.

Reply/Quote
(07-14-2022, 10:25 AM)GMDino Wrote: Also we must "get" the doctor who legally performed the abortion, I guess.

So you're fine publishing info on gun owners but abortion doctors are off limits?
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2022, 10:28 AM)basballguy Wrote: So you're fine publishing info on gun owners but abortion doctors are off limits?

Oh, I'm sure she advertises her services and is publicly known.  That's not the issue.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2022, 10:28 AM)basballguy Wrote: So you're fine publishing info on gun owners but abortion doctors are off limits?

Cool whataboutism, still dangerous precedent and still ignoring the law of doctor/patient confidentiality. 
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2022, 09:15 AM)GMDino Wrote: Or, you know, a man.

Your post reminds of how I lost a very good friend a few years ago.  She and her husband became intense Trump supporters and virulently anti-immigration.

I'm known this girl since she was 14 years old.  She was a lover, not a fighter.  Someone who embraced everyone from any walk of life.

A story broke about a girl attacked in a school bathroom.  The initial story was that the two attackers were illegal immigrants.  She responded to the story as you did:  This is what happens when we let people in!!

I asked her what difference it made that they were not citizens.  The worst part of the story was the attack.  Something that happens all to frequently in the US, and elsewhere, no matter where the attacker is from.

Her angry response was along the lines of that if this was my daughter I'd feel the same way.  And I honestly told her I would be more mad that she was attacked than that he was from Mexico vs Ohio.

She immediately blocked me.

And, btw, the facts of the initial story turned out to not be true.  Which is ironic in this case as so many people assumed this story of the 10 year old was made up and it was true.

Sick, depraved people exist in all walks of life and from all cultures.  

Personally I focus on those who hold positions of power or claim to be better than thou who then turn out to be awful human beings because it is the hypocrisy of it all ON TOP of the crimes.

But in this case it is just another sad example of how some humans have no control over their based desires and can be just evil.

No matter where they are from.

The point they're making is so basic I cannot believe you don't understand it.  If immigration laws were actually enforced as written then the attackers in question wouldn't have been here to perform the attack.  It's no different than Gascon being blamed for the murder of the two El Monte officers because he gave a convicted felon a slap on the wrist for being in possession of a firearm.  If that felon had gone to prison, as he should have, he wouldn't have been free to murder the two officers.  Exact same principle.  
Reply/Quote
An OPINION piece...but I agree with the gist of it.

Quote:Opinion 

A 10-year-old rape victim’s plight shows why politicians should stay out of abortion

[Image: dd1af375-709a-4efa-b3d3-cb3f07e393ae.jpg...&w=64&h=64]

By Jennifer Rubin
Columnist|Follow

July 14, 2022 at 10:30 a.m. EDT

President Biden last week channeled the horror that many felt regarding the news of a 10-year-old rape victim in Ohio who was forced to go out of state to obtain an abortion. "Imagine being that little girl,” he said, decrying the suggestion from antiabortion zealots that she should be forced to give birth to her rapist’s child. “I can’t think of anything as much more extreme.”

Well, now, we have something even more extreme: Right-wing Ohio politicians accusing the child of making a false allegation to get an abortion. Think about that. They thought a 10-year-old was simply promiscuous and looking for an excuse to end her pregnancy? The mind reels.

The Columbus Dispatch reports, “Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost appeared on Fox News this week, casting doubt on the veracity of Dr. Caitlin Bernard’s account that a 10-year-old Ohio rape victim needed to travel to Indiana for an abortion.” Yost repeated the accusation during an interview with USA Today: “Every day that goes by, the more likely that this is a fabrication. I know the cops and prosecutors in this state. . . . And shame on the Indianapolis paper that ran this thing on a single source who has an obvious axe to grind.”

The shame was his. After the alleged rapist was arrested on Tuesday, I reached out to Yost’s office to see if he would apologize for his comments. He did not respond.

Yost wasn’t alone in casting aspersions on the victim’s account. The Dispatch reported:

Quote:Rep. Jim Jordan ... also cast doubt on the veracity of the story this week and shared an article about Yost’s comments that no evidence had been found.
“Another lie,” he tweeted. “Anyone surprised?”
After news of the arrest broke, Jordan tweeted that the man charged “should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”

No response from his office either.

As a preliminary matter, it is grossly inappropriate — and arguably a violation of prosecutors’ code of ethics — to publicly (and with zero basis) demean a victim’s account. The American Bar Association rules state: “The prosecutor should not make, cause to be made, or authorize or condone the making of, a public statement that the prosecutor knows or reasonably should know will have a substantial likelihood of materially prejudicing a criminal proceeding or heightening public condemnation of the accused.”

Alyssa Rosenberg: This is what it means to rape a 10-year-old

In the case of sexual violence, Yost’s conduct is especially egregious given the aversion that many victims already feel about going to law enforcement. And in the case of a child, it is nothing short of barbaric. Yost’s remarks could encourage abusers to tell their victims, “No one’s going to believe you.”

Former federal prosecutor Barbara McQuade tells me: “This is the new world we live in. To get an abortion under a rape exception to the law, a victim must prove there was a rape, and must do so more quickly than a pregnancy will permit.” She continues, “Instead of diligently investigating the rape, a Republican official is incentivized to signal to his supporters that he cares more about preventing the abortion than prosecuting the rapist. Rape victims will be twice victimized.”

The rape victim in Ohio was put in this position because the state’s GOP legislature passed a six-week abortion ban with no exception for rape or incest, and Republican Gov. Mike DeWine signed it. While DeWine did not insult the victim upon learning of the case, his statement gave no indication that he understood the law he signed was responsible for the victim’s extended trauma. “This is a horrible, horrible tragedy for a 10-year-old to be assaulted, for a 10-year-old to be raped,” DeWine said on July 6. “As a father and as a grandfather, it’s just gut-wrenching to even think about it.”

Man charged in rape of 10-year-old girl who had to travel for abortion
[url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/07/13/abortion-girl-rape-victim-arrest-ohio/?itid=lk_interstitial_manual_19][/url]
Not gut-wrenching enough, however, to spare her the delay and ordeal of out-of-state travel to terminate the pregnancy.

The entire episode should underscore the forced-birth cohort’s monstrous dehumanization of women. They do not trust women, their families, doctors or clergy to make decisions that involve serious risks of mental and emotional harm. These politicians would deny women and girls the autonomy to make life decisions that will have life-changing consequences for them and their families. Even worse, too many politicians fail to demonstrate any respect for victims who report sexual assault.

If there were ever an advertisement against allowing politicians to override intimate health decisions of women and girls, this is it. Do Ohioans really want to sign over control of their lives to the likes of Yost, DeWine and Jordan? The voters can answer that question in November.

Reply/Quote
Since accusations and ulterior motives were ascribed to people wanting corroboration for this story I'd like to present a piece citing the exact same concerns from the far right Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/07/09/one-source-story-about-10-year-old-an-abortion-goes-viral/

Maybe the guy who wrote it is racist?
Reply/Quote