Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
#3 overall pick in the draft
To me, there are only 4 options for Pick #3:
- Penei Sewell, OT Oregon
- Ja'Marr Chase, WR LSU
- Gregory Rousseau, EDGE Miami
- Trade back

With what we've seen with Higgins, I don't think they need to get a WR with a Top 5 pick, as we "just" need a WR3. So I doubt Chase makes sense.

With Sewell, the team would have to either move Williams to another position or replace Bobby Hart. While I think it'd be a good decision to replace Hart, I have a hard time thinking this coaching staff would do so given how hard they've defended him to this point.

Rousseau is a bit of a gamble. He's only really played a single season, but it was a monster season. He has the length and size you want. There are some things he needs improvement on, but he will only get with experience. With how terrible this defensive coaching staff has been with DL/EDGE, I wouldn't have confidence they can actually groom Rousseau properly, but maybe they just need elite talent.

Last, trading back could really bring additional early-round picks that would be invaluable for helping fill all the weaknesses this team has.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2020, 11:50 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Any Coach that comes here will come under the assumption they will be working with JB. 

Yep, and MB will say... "My vote counts as 2.. so Shut it, JB is the man"
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 11:15 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Yep, there are handful of teams that could be addressing QB this offseason:

Jets
Jags
Falcons
Redskins Football Team
Panthers
Patriots

Outside of the scenario you laid out (dropping 1 pick), the only way I could see them trading down far enough to miss out on Sewell is if they've already signed a Thuney type FA. Just have to hope for a big 3. 

Yeah, but I think most of us are hoping they do both:  Sewell and Thuney, not either or...I mean, you wouldn't need Bobby Hart any longer.  We have Adeniji as a very capable backup for both tackle spots.  But the middle of the line.  The guards...that has to improve big time.  Spain shows promise.  XSF has too many injuries in his short career as a starter.  
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 11:44 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Fraud SEC East; Georgia was the only tough opponent they had, basically.

Trask against 'bama would've been a great measuring stick; he does well, his stock rises and you're looking at a top 10, (maybe) top 5 pick.

But he won't have faced any tough Ds otherwise and the LSU matchup will be a nightmare for the Tigers, since Pellini is a POS.

Well, that supposedly tough Georgia defense yielded a 70+ Completion %, 474 yards, and 4 TDs with 1 INT.  I think Trask will be drafted very high also based on his huge size.  That is where Herbert appears to have an edge on Burrow, even, and he is doing quite well. 

There are a LOT of teams with QBs that are either almost done or they simply don't have one.  I listed about 8 in another thread.  

I would be willing to bet that Trask goes in the top 3 unless he has a massive collapse in the SEC title game and the combine shows some other strange flaw, but very unlikely.  
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 03:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: To me, there are only 4 options for Pick #3:
- Ja'Marr Chase, WR LSU

- Trade back

With what we've seen with Higgins, I don't think they need to get a WR with a Top 5 pick, as we "just" need a WR3. So I doubt Chase makes sense.

With Sewell, the team would have to either move Williams to another position or replace Bobby Hart. While I think it'd be a good decision to replace Hart, I have a hard time thinking this coaching staff would do so given how hard they've defended him to this point.

Rousseau is a bit of a gamble. He's only really played a single season, but it was a monster season. He has the length and size you want. There are some things he needs improvement on, but he will only get with experience. With how terrible this defensive coaching staff has been with DL/EDGE, I wouldn't have confidence they can actually groom Rousseau properly, but maybe they just need elite talent.

Last, trading back could really bring additional early-round picks that would be invaluable for helping fill all the weaknesses this team has.

I think I would only be okay with the first two.

All of the pass rush problems won't be solved immediately, but getting a real DC and getting a healthy Atkins and Reader in 2021 will make huge strides towards fixing it. I am still convinced that it's mostly DC incompetency that's killed the pass rush. Dunlap performing in Seattle only just confirmed what I already believed.

I'm not sure what the Bengals could be offered that would make me willing to trade down in 2021. At #3 you have a guaranteed chance at an All-Pro level talent difference maker in either Sewell or Chase. Both of which would help your franchise QB in different ways. If you have a Sewell/Chase caliber player available, you gotta take them. Doubly so when you have a questionable FO that you don't trust with the extra picks.

Only 2 Options In My Mind:
1. Sewell
2. Chase only if Sewell isn't available

1,780 yards at 21.2 a catch and 20 TDs in the SEC in 14 games. That is otherworldly. 9/221/2 in the Championship game. Just look at how much Justin Jefferson is dominating as a rookie and then remember that Chase was better. 

If Sewell is gone by the time they pick, Chase is available, and they don't take Chase? It'll be a repeat of the Browns trading down and passing on Julio Jones. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 04:12 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think I would only be okay with the first two.

All of the pass rush problems won't be solved immediately, but getting a real DC and getting a healthy Atkins and Reader in 2021 will make huge strides towards fixing it. I am still convinced that it's mostly DC incompetency that's killed the pass rush. Dunlap performing in Seattle only just confirmed what I already believed.

I'm not sure what the Bengals could be offered that would make me willing to trade down in 2021. At #3 you have a guaranteed chance at an All-Pro level talent difference maker in either Sewell or Chase. Both of which would help your franchise QB in different ways. If you have a Sewell/Chase caliber player available, you gotta take them. Doubly so when you have a questionable FO that you don't trust with the extra picks.

Only 2 Options In My Mind:
1. Sewell
2. Chase only if Sewell isn't available

1,780 yards at 21.2 a catch and 20 TDs in the SEC in 14 games. That is otherworldly. 9/221/2 in the Championship game. Just look at how much Justin Jefferson is dominating as a rookie and then remember that Chase was better. 

If Sewell is gone by the time they pick, Chase is available, and they don't take Chase? It'll be a repeat of the Browns trading down and passing on Julio Jones. 

I'm assuming if you're going with Sewell or Chase, you're planning to re-sign Lawson and/or going heavy defense right after in the draft?
Bengals won't be able to get a decent pass rush going with just Reader, Atkins, and Hubbard. They need 2 more pass rushers.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
With the news about Burrows injury being worse than thought , gotta think about a QB again
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 04:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm assuming if you're going with Sewell or Chase, you're planning to re-sign Lawson and/or going heavy defense right after in the draft?
Bengals won't be able to get a decent pass rush going with just Reader, Atkins, and Hubbard. They need 2 more pass rushers.

Re-sign Lawson if he can be had for non-starter money (I don't see him as a starter). Otherwise there's always the draft, yeah. 

The Bengals need to spend their first two rounds on an OL and a pass catcher of some kind (WR or TE)... anything after that should just be defense. Of course that's assuming they do the right thing and sign a legit OL like Thuney in FA as well.

- - - - - - - -

Alternatively, with the information we now know about Burrow's knee, maybe draft a QB and see if there's a doctor somewhere willing to perform an unwilling leg transplant to get Burrow on his feet quicker?   Ninja Ninja Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 03:10 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I GUARANTEE you, QB is not and will not be a consideration in the upcoming draft. 

Zero chance. No way, no how. 

People are thinking with their hearts, not their heads. 

It sounds like it's worse case scenario and the knee will have to be reconstructed. A brutal injury much like the Bridgewater injury (which took him 2 years to fully recover from and trust).

There's a significant chance Joe won't be the same player, and with what is looking like a long recover, and unknown outcome.... Why again are guaranteed to pass on a potential Franchise one at 3 again (if one is there). 

That would be neglectful given what we are hearing about Burrow's injury.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Now again if Zac returns, then all bets are off, but if a new Coach is in. They can't hang their hat on a qb coming off of an injury like this.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 04:24 PM)jj22 Wrote: Now again if Zac returns, then all bets are off, but if a new Coach is in. They can't hang their hat on a qb coming off of an injury like this.

Even though your argument is beyond delusional, let's say your right. You really going with another franchise QB with 0 help around him, and a terrible line? You know that pretty much is the definition of insanity. 
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 03:10 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I GUARANTEE you, QB is not and will not be a consideration in the upcoming draft. 

Zero chance. No way, no how. 

We might need a backup in rounds 4 or 5 because Finley ain't it.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 04:23 PM)jj22 Wrote: People are thinking with their hearts, not their heads. 

It sounds like it's worse case scenario and the knee will have to be reconstructed. A brutal injury much like the Bridgewater injury (which took him 2 years to fully recover from and trust).

There's a significant chance Joe won't be the same player, and with what is looking like a long recover, and unknown outcome.... Why again are guaranteed to pass on a potential Franchise one at 3 again (if one is there). 

It's the same injury Palmer had; Burrow will be fine 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 04:20 PM)Bengals731 Wrote: With the news about Burrows injury being worse than thought , gotta think about a QB again

Exactly, but not in the draft.  A rookie isn't what this team would need.  You'd have to sign a veteran.  If Zac is still here, probably one that is familiar with his system.

(11-23-2020, 04:24 PM)jj22 Wrote: Now again if Zac returns, then all bets are off, but if a new Coach is in. They can't hang their hat on a qb coming off of an injury like this.

I doubt Zac is fired.  If he is, you can bet that the one condition that is off the table is getting a new QB.  Burrow is here and he is the unquestioned leader of the team.  IT would be a waste to make a change.

(11-23-2020, 05:42 PM)J24 Wrote: We might need a backup in rounds 4 or 5 because Finley ain't it.

Have to have a vet.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 03:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: To me, there are only 4 options for Pick #3:
- Ja'Marr Chase, WR LSU
- Trade back

I honestly can't see any rationale for taking a WR at #3.  That would be a typical Bengal move and we would be idiots to do it.

I just don't see how a team that struggles to protect the QB would pass on a generational talent at the most important position on offense outside of QB.  We would be the laughingstock of the league.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 05:42 PM)J24 Wrote: We might need a backup in rounds 4 or 5 because Finley ain't it.

Which I can get behind.

I've always been a big fan of Buechele and he can be had in the later rounds, not to mention he's a great leader and has good touch on the ball... even if he doesn't have the greatest arm strength.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 10:43 AM)jj22 Wrote: This is a lie. I was one of the first around here to spot Burrow last September. Your personal insults have to stop. You got away with them yesterday because emotions were high, and I know you are upset as we all are but this isn't a good look.

Palmer, never gave us a season like he did in 2015 prior to injury.

Rather we like it or not, Burrow may never reach the highs he could have.

No, this is a lie. In 2005 Palmer completed 67.8% of his passes, threw for 3836 yds, 32 TD’s, and had a 101.1 rating. He was one of the top QB’s in the league that year. 2nd most passes completed, 4th in yds, 1st in TD’s, 2nd in passer rating, 1st in cmp%.

Edit: actually re-reading the bold and it’s very unclear what you’re even trying to say. If you’re suggesting Palmer never got back to form after his knee injury that’s also a lie. 2006 he threw for 4k yds and went to the Pro Bowl. The next year he threw for even more yds. In 2015 he was a top 3 MVP candidate along with Cam and Brady, and he had a career high in yds, TD’s, passer rating, and QBR.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 04:23 PM)jj22 Wrote: People are thinking with their hearts, not their heads. 

For me, heart has nothing to do with it. 40+ years of this team, knowing how MB works and going by Zac Taylor...there's no way they're looking QB in the next draft, other than a late round pick to replace Finley. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 05:57 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I honestly can't see any rationale for taking a WR at #3.  That would be a typical Bengal move and we would be idiots to do it.

I just don't see how a team that struggles to protect the QB would pass on a generational talent at the most important position on offense outside of QB.  We would be the laughingstock of the league.

And with today's NFL, you need good pass protectors on both sides since many teams have premier rushers on either side.

If it's me, I go Sewell and I start him immediately.
I'll be interested to see if the Bengals continue to bench Hart in favor of Adeniji or not. If they do, the writing will be on the wall that Hart will be gone.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 04:20 PM)Bengals731 Wrote: With the news about Burrows injury being worse than thought , gotta think about a QB again

No you don’t.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reply/Quote