Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8 dead in SC church shooting
(06-23-2015, 09:06 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Kid was on anti depressants as well.  Are we going to ban those or get Rid of them?
Nobody is suggesting that flag should be banned...  If ignorant white trash want to fly it outside their house, so be it.  It has no business being flown at a state house.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(06-23-2015, 09:24 PM)jason Wrote: Nobody is suggesting that flag should be banned...  If ignorant white trash want to fly it outside their house, so be it.  It has no business being flown at a state house.

AAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFNNNNNNMEN!!!!!!!!!
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

According to St. Lucifer (sounds cooler than StLucie, let's be real...) logic, if the flag makes me uncomfortable, allowing its use is oppressive.

On a real note, we have no business associating with this flag 150 years after these treasonous criminals were defeated in war. All the revisionist history perpetuated by those who still wish to use it as a symbol of the South are no better than the themes the Birth of a Nation tried to push 100 years ago.

At some point, a vast chunk of this nation needs to evolve as people. There are much better things about the South that we can honor and remember that do not involve a flag used by enemies of this country.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-23-2015, 09:55 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: On a real note, we have no business associating with this flag 150 years after these treasonous criminals were defeated in war. All the revisionist history perpetuated by those who still wish to use it as a symbol of the South are no better than the themes the Birth of a Nation tried to push 100 years ago.

That's a solid documentary Mellow
(06-23-2015, 09:06 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Kid was on anti depressants as well.  Are we going to ban those or get Rid of them?

1. Antidepressants aren't a symbol associated with hate groups or white supremacists.
  2. I didn't mention a ban against anything.
  3. WTF is up with your alleged "autocorrect"?
(06-23-2015, 09:13 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Misdirection. How can that flag affect one person if it has no effect?

Exactly. So there is no reason to have outrage blaming the southern battle flag for the church shooting.

Just because he had a picture with it doesn't mean it was his inspiration. And really it would make more sense to fly the democrat KKK flag.

I don't think the confederate flag is some great thing but your all giving it too much power. We have so many problems in this country yet we focus on this nonsense.

Since mental issues are to blame for these shootings how about we just take a hard look at the amount of pills that are being taken to enhance moods and cover up violent spells.
Lots of drugs lead to violence. Anyone using Chantix to stop smoking???? Your using a med that's 18x more likely to lead to violence.

Do we have a confederate flag problem in SC. Or a pill popping problem leading to violence.

Just have some perspective.

Quote: When people consider the connections between drugs and violence, what typically comes to mind are illegal drugs like crack cocaine. However, certain medications — most notably, some antidepressants like Prozac — have also been linked to increase risk for violent, even homicidal behavior.

A new study from the Institute for Safe Medication Practices published in the journal PloS One and based on data from the FDA’s Adverse Event Reporting System has identified 31 drugs that are disproportionately linked with reports of violent behavior towards others. (More on Time.com: New Hope For An Anti-Cocaine Vaccine)

Please note that this does not necessarily mean that these drugs cause violent behavior. For example, in the case of opioid pain medications like Oxycontin, people with a prior history of violent behavior may seek drugs in order to sustain an addiction, which they support via predatory crime. In the case of antipsychotics, the drugs may be given in an attempt to reduce violence by people suffering from schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders — so the drugs here might not be causing violence, but could be linked with it because they’re used to try to stop it.

Nonetheless, when one particular drug in a class of nonaddictive drugs used to treat the same problem stands out, that suggests caution: unless the drug is being used to treat radically different groups of people, that drug may actually be the problem. Researchers calculated a ratio of risk for each drug compared to the others in the database, adjusting for various relevant factors that could create misleading comparisons. Here are the top ten offenders:

10. Desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) An antidepressant which affects both serotonin and noradrenaline, this drug is 7.9 times more likely to be associated with violence than other drugs.

9. Venlafaxine (Effexor) A drug related to Pristiq in the same class of antidepressants, both are also used to treat anxiety disorders. Effexor is 8.3 times more likely than other drugs to be related to violent behavior. (More on Time.com: Adderall May Not Make You Smarter, But It Makes You Think You Are)

8. Fluvoxamine (Luvox) An antidepressant that affects serotonin (SSRI), Luvox is 8.4 times more likely than other medications to be linked with violence

7. Triazolam (Halcion) A benzodiazepine which can be addictive, used to treat insomnia. Halcion is 8.7 times more likely to be linked with violence than other drugs, according to the study.

6) Atomoxetine (Strattera) Used to treat attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), Strattera affects the neurotransmitter noradrenaline and is 9 times more likely to be linked with violence compared to the average medication.

5) Mefoquine (Lariam) A treatment for malaria, Lariam has long been linked with reports of bizarre behavior. It is 9.5 times more likely to be linked with violence than other drugs.

4) Amphetamines: (Various) Amphetamines are used to treat ADHD and affect the brain’s dopamine and noradrenaline systems. They are 9.6 times more likely to be linked to violence, compared to other drugs.

3) Paroxetine (Paxil) An SSRI antidepressant, Paxil is also linked with more severe withdrawal symptoms and a greater risk of birth defects compared to other medications in that class. It is 10.3 times more likely to be linked with violence compared to other drugs. (More on Time.com: Healthland’s Guide to Life 2011)

2) Fluoxetine (Prozac) The first well-known SSRI antidepressant, Prozac is 10.9 times more likely to be linked with violence in comparison with other medications.

1) Varenicline (Chantix) The anti-smoking medication Chantix affects the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor, which helps reduce craving for smoking. Unfortunately, it’s 18 times more likely to be linked with violence compared to other drugs — by comparison, that number for Xyban is 3.9 and just 1.9 for nicotine replacement. Because Chantix is slightly superior in terms of quit rates in comparison to other drugs, it shouldn’t necessarily be ruled out as an option for those trying to quit, however.
(06-23-2015, 10:35 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote:
  1. Antidepressants aren't a symbol associated with hate groups or white supremacists.
  2. I didn't mention a ban against anything.
  3. WTF is up with your alleged "autocorrect"?

So is the rainbow flag also a hate flag then? Cause the westboro baptist use it to promote anti gay hate.

Your priorities are way off. and just so you know .... A democrat put that flag up in SC.
(06-23-2015, 09:24 PM)jason Wrote: Nobody is suggesting that flag should be banned...  If ignorant white trash want to fly it outside their house, so be it.  It has no business being flown at a state house.

Yeah I know what you mean... And while I agree ... I don't see why the hysteria over all this

Quote: Daniel Hollis, a member of the commission responsible for planning South Carolina’s Confederate War Centennial, recalled the exact day the flag was first hoisted during an interview published in 1999.

Hollis said the flag itself went up on April 11, 1961, for the opening of the Civil War centennial "at the request of Aiken Rep. John A. May."

"May told us he was going to introduce a resolution to fly the flag for a year from the capitol. I was against the flag going up," Hollis said, "but I kept quiet and went along."

The resolution was approved in 1962, but never included a date for the flag’s removal.

"It just stayed up," Hollis said. "Nobody raised a question."

Flown during Ernest hollings term as governor. Democrat.
(06-23-2015, 11:23 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote:  

I don't think the confederate flag is some great thing but your all giving it too much power.  

Yeah, I agree.  Some dumbass in this thread even claimed that it is the only thing keeping us from repeating history and returning to Jim Crowe segregation.
(06-23-2015, 11:23 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Exactly.  So there is no reason to have outrage blaming the southern battle flag for the church shooting.  

Just because he had a picture with it doesn't mean it was his inspiration.   And really it would make more sense to fly the democrat KKK flag.  

I don't think the confederate flag is some great thing but your all giving it too much power.   We have so many problems in this country yet we focus on this nonsense.  

Since mental issues are to blame for these shootings how about we just take a hard look at the amount of pills that are being taken to enhance moods and cover up violent spells.

The confederate flag is divisive and symbolizes racial hatred in the same manner that the swastika represented Nazism and antisemitism.  No one in their right mind will blame the swastika for the actions of the Nazis.  That said, it served as a symbol for what Nazis stood for the same way the confederate flag represents the racial hatred that the shooter had for his victims.   

If symbols didn't resonate with people or have any meaning, why do we even fly flags? 

Why then do southerners feel the need to fly a flag of a defunct nation that died over 150 years ago?  
(06-23-2015, 11:23 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Exactly.  So there is no reason to have outrage blaming the southern battle flag for the church shooting.  

I didn't blame the flag.  You claimed it had no affect.  Then you claimed it only affected one person.

(06-23-2015, 08:41 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yeah 1 person.  1 person does somethong crazy .  And everyone else can control themselves so let's change the flags

"somethong"?  You're autocorrect is really acting up.

Quote:Just because he had a picture with it doesn't mean it was his inspiration.   And really it would make more sense to fly the democrat KKK flag.  

I didn't claim it was his inspiration.  You claimed it had no affect, then you claimed it did, now you're claiming it didn't again.  Why would flying the "democrat KKK flag" make more sense to a white supremacist and how do you know?

Quote:I don't think the confederate flag is some great thing but your all giving it too much power.

I didn't give that flag any power.

Quote:We have so many problems in this country yet we focus on this nonsense.  

Nonsense like racism?

Quote:Since mental issues are to blame for these shootings how about we just take a hard look at the amount of pills that are being taken to enhance moods and cover up violent spells.

Now you're a psychiatrist? You can't even do basic math or read a graph correctly.  More BS misdirection.  Earlier you claimed he was on antidepressants.  Do antidepressants cause racism?  No.
(06-23-2015, 11:31 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Lots of drugs lead to violence.   Anyone using Chantix to stop smoking????   Your using a med that's 18x more likely to lead to violence.    

Do we have a confederate flag problem in SC.  Or a pill popping problem leading to violence.  

Just have some perspective.  

Do you know what else leads to violence?  Racism.  Attempting to displace the blame onto prescription medicine is pathetic.  Read the third paragraph in the article you posted, but don't understand.
(06-23-2015, 11:36 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So is the rainbow flag also a hate flag then?  Cause the westboro baptist use it to promote anti gay hate.  

You know the preferred flags of white supremacist and Westboro Baptist? I'm impressed!  Nonetheless, please show me an example.

Quote:Your priorities are way off.

What are my priorities?

Quote:and just so you know .... A democrat put that flag up in SC.

And?
(06-23-2015, 11:44 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yeah I know what you mean... And while I agree ... I don't see why the hysteria over all this

Flown during Ernest hollings term as governor.   Democrat.

Hysteria?

You have railed against banning the flag when no one here suggested a ban.  You've blamed prescription drugs for violence and hate crimes.  Told me I gave the flag too much power when I haven't given it any.  Claimed I needed perspective and that my priorities were way off without even knowing what my priorities are.  All because I wrote, "I think it had a little affect."  The only one who is hysterical is you.
(06-24-2015, 01:14 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Hysteria?

You have railed against banning the flag when no one here suggested a ban.  You've blamed prescription drugs for violence and hate crimes.  Told me I gave the flag too much power when I haven't given it any.  Claimed I needed perspective and that my priorities were way off without even knowing what my priorities are.  All because I wrote, "I think it had a little affect."  The only one who is hysterical is you.

What are you talking about?

Your all so reactionary over nothing. If it's so divisive then why did obama and Clinton use it in campaign Matierials?

Come up with a real solution to a real problem in this country instead of manufacturing a false flag.
(06-24-2015, 02:24 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: What are you talking about?  

Your all so reactionary over nothing.   If it's so divisive then why did obama and Clinton use it in campaign Matierials?

Come up with a real solution to a real problem in this country instead of manufacturing a false flag.

Reactionary?  I wrote I think it had a "little" affect your you're off on some tangent blaming prescription medication.

Real problem? You do realize this thread is about 8 people who were shot to death, right?
(06-24-2015, 02:33 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Reactionary?  I wrote I think it had a "little" affect your you're off on some tangent blaming prescription medication.

Real problem? You do realize this thread is about 8 people who were shot to death, right?

Yeah it is about those 8 people . Yet all your focused on is a flag that carries no significance.

Glad you have your priorities .
(06-24-2015, 09:39 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yet all your focused on is a flag that carries no significance.

You are so out of touch.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(06-23-2015, 11:36 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So is the rainbow flag also a hate flag then?  Cause the westboro baptist use it to promote anti gay hate.    

Your priorities are way off.  and just so you know .... A democrat put that flag up in SC.

I have never seen the Westboro Baptist Church wave a rainbow flag. Pics?

Also, political party affiliation is irrelevant when discussing the appropriateness of the Confederate flag. Why would that even matter?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]