Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
A Proposal
(10-15-2019, 09:42 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Ignoring someone: 2019's way to debate. Everyone wants to be heard, but no one wants to actually listen.

Who wants to listen to a broken record?  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Ok, look, let's get real here. Pull up a seat because I'm about to life coach the hell out of some of you people....

As far as the emotional stuff you guys get into, let me give some Bengals fans a happy life pro tip: Never let another man's successes or failures get you too high or too low. Focus on your own, controllable life and find your personal happiness within that framework. Any and everything else outside of your personal sphere of influence should be 2ndary to your actual happiness. The Bengals winning or losing shouldn't move your emotional meter one way or the other.

What do you, I, or we as fans truly get if the Bengals win the Superbowl? What? Absolutely NOTHING. If that makes you proud, it's false pride because we, as spectators, did and take from it absolutely NO personal gain. Watching something happen is not the same as doing or accomplishing.

Besides that, a week after the Superbowl people have forgotten and are on their way to looking at the draft. Yes, even fans of the winning team.

To look at it any other way is to lack emotional intelligence. I love the Bengals, yes. But, if they lose I will live and not be any less happy in my life. How anyone else can have misery or be honestly negatively hurt by the Bengals and their players misfortunes is nutty to me. I have club season tickets and still enjoy going down to the games, win or lose.

Let's all keep a real life outlook on what the Bengals success or failures actually mean to our personal lives: NADA. Watching sports should be a fun experience regardless of the outcome. Well, unless you're losing money on them. In which case... get turbo pissed. I would understand at that point. Lol
(10-15-2019, 09:45 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Who wants to listen to a broken record?  

If it sounds like a broken record, change or reword the point you're trying to make, or provide more data, etc. etc.

Also, it is ok if someone doesn't agree with you. It is ok. It doesn't mean you're wrong. It doesn't mean they're right. And, if they were right, who cares? Maybe learn something? Maybe teach something, too if you're having an honest discussion. If the discussion is lame, that doesn't have to mean every single thing that person says is going to be lame forever.

I cannot stand some people's posts, but I continue to read them and engage them and discuss the Bengals. I can still learn things from them or gleam some info.

Ignoring someone, however, becomes counter productive to conversation. Everyone is different however so, obviously, do as you wish.
(10-13-2019, 09:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have some proposals:

If you don't like the tone of a thread don't post in it

If you don't like the responses of a poster don't reply to them

If you want to support a well run organization forget everything you've ever known about the Bengals

But if you want to be part of a community that is full of all kinds while we suffer as a whole; then stick around.

I honestly tried it a couple years ago. I was done with the Bengals and this Board. I signed up to the Colts board and started growing a neck beard like my newest hero. I even started looking at Colts gear online, I couldn't do it.

I've been a fan of the Bengals for longer than most and been a member of Bengal forums since I couldn't surf the web and be on my home phone at the same time and I can tell you: Embrace the suck and appreciate the collection of fools that make up this forum
You actually left the team for the dang COLTS?!?!?!?!? Smack  Like a DV housewife you came back for more... Hehe 

Disclaimer: We do not condone any Domestic Violence on anyone, anytime, anywhere.  Smack

Facepalm
(10-13-2019, 07:19 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: No matter how shittily we play

I love this word. 
(10-15-2019, 09:45 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Who wants to listen to a broken record?  

The idiots will never understand that. I don't have the ability to write every post as if it's my first and repeat the same shit over and over and over.

I am amazed at how almost every thread in this forum somehow turns into a Dalton thread with the same morons parroting the same shit as if we're reading their opinions for the first time.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
(10-15-2019, 05:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I remember a certain "realist" in the gameday thread who said Dalton would throw a pick in the end zone at the end of the Cardinals game.  Know who I am talking about Reuben?  His comments had nothing to do with reality.

For a few years there were a lot of "realists" who were proven wrong when they said the Bengals would not make the playoffs.

There is nothing "realistic" about saying nothing good will ever happen.  

So there are "optimists" and "pessimists", and neither side has a monopoly on reality.

No, I don't know who said that, guessing Joseph List? Big Grin Making the playoffs is nonsense to me, winning the superbowl is something. Greg Popavich attitude. Pessimism: Andy Dalton will not win a superbowl (no reason), Realism: Andy Dalton will not win a superbowl (given these reasons), optimism: Andy Dalton will win a superbowl (why, no other reason than "I'm optimistic"). Pessimistic people are always negative. Realistic people are positive when the time calls for it, or at least should be, but when it comes to sports, facts and emotions get mixed into subjectivity. There is nothing optimistic about an 0-6 team, so now a realistic person comes off as pessimistic. A realistic person is probably more pessimistic than not, I would say, but I could be wrong about everything in this post, lol. The general field of work someone is in probably affects their outlook on the world. As a programmer, I am more pessimistic than optimistic. If i were optimistic, everyone would be breaking my code without any unit tests.
(10-15-2019, 11:28 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: The idiots will never understand that. I don't have the ability to write every post as if it's my first and repeat the same shit over and over and over.

I am amazed at how almost every thread in this forum somehow turns into a Dalton thread with the same morons parroting the same shit as if we're reading their opinions for the first time.

Yeah, at least the fanboys change their excuses from time to time...

(10-16-2019, 01:08 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, at least the fanboys change their excuses from time to time...

Wow, a "fanboy"?  Just curious, what constitutes being a "fanboy"?
(10-16-2019, 06:57 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Wow, a "fanboy"?  Just curious, what constitutes being a "fanboy"?

This link has many examples and definitions https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3fterm=Fanboy&amp=true , but this one is probably best...

Fanboy

An extreme fan or follower of a particular medium or concept, whether it be sports, television, film directors, video games (the most common usage), etc.

Known for a complete lack of objectivity in relation to their preferred focus. Usually argue with circular logic that they refuse to acknowledge. Arguments or debates with such are usually futile. Every flaw is spun into semi-virtues and everything else, blown to comedic, complimentary proportions.

Known for using the phrase
"Object of affection = Best Ever"
However, while people only really say that as hyperbole, fanboys truly believe it.

Troll the internet to spread the gospel.

Insult/chastise others for using public forums to express an objective opinion, no matter how constructive or, respectful it may be. (Go ahead and admit that it's a good game/movie/etc. This fact and anything else will be promptly ignored in favor of cherry picking the negative, and beating you over the head with it.

Tend to resort to petty annoyance replies when backed against the wall. Usually grammar attacks and non-replies.

"Final Fantasy VII is the best RPG ever!"
"Ocarina of Time is the best game ever!"
"Linux is the best OS ever!"
"Xbox is the best console ever!"
"Dragonball Z is the best show ever!"

The sad thing is, fanboys don't realize, that these companies that fuel their passion, don't really give a damn about us. To me, defending a multi-national corporation like their your own family, is ridiculous. These organizations don't come to your house and help you when you're sick, they don't help you move, or drive you to the airport. They don't support you in any way. It's a business, not a friendship. As soon as you can no longer buy their product, you disappear to them.

by Lig Na Baste July 10, 2008
(10-15-2019, 11:33 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: No, I don't know who said that, guessing Joseph List? Big Grin Making the playoffs is nonsense to me, winning the superbowl is something. Greg Popavich attitude. Pessimism: Andy Dalton will not win a superbowl (no reason), Realism: Andy Dalton will not win a superbowl (given these reasons), optimism: Andy Dalton will win a superbowl (why, no other reason than "I'm optimistic"). Pessimistic people are always negative. Realistic people are positive when the time calls for it, or at least should be, but when it comes to sports, facts and emotions get mixed into subjectivity. There is nothing optimistic about an 0-6 team, so now a realistic person comes off as pessimistic. A realistic person is probably more pessimistic than not, I would say, but I could be wrong about everything in this post, lol. The general field of work someone is in probably affects their outlook on the world. As a programmer, I am more pessimistic than optimistic. If i were optimistic, everyone would be breaking my code without any unit tests.

I understand your post and agree with the general construct.

Do bear in mind that life is a defiance against the inevitable - given that we know what awaits us at the end.

Since we know the end reality, should we have no hope for tomorrow and be pessimistic or fatalistic in our approach to our lives?

It is a choice Reuben. Enjoy the ride my friend.

Similar to having one life; at least for me - I have only one NFL Team I follow.

I have hope for tomorrow, although I know that this season will come to an end in 10 weeks.
(10-16-2019, 07:41 AM)PDub80 Wrote: This link has many examples and definitions https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3fterm=Fanboy&amp=true , but this one is probably best...

Fanboy

I deleted all the rest of that post for the sake of space.  So what's it called when you realize there's a shit ton of things wrong with this team, but you still choose to be a fan, and not continually post negative crap?
(10-16-2019, 08:03 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I deleted all the rest of that post for the sake of space.  So what's it called when you realize there's a shit ton of things wrong with this team, but you still choose to be a fan, and not continually post negative crap?

Adulting?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(10-16-2019, 08:32 AM)jason Wrote: Adulting?

Ah, a voice of reason.  Nicely put.
(10-16-2019, 08:03 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I deleted all the rest of that post for the sake of space.  So what's it called when you realize there's a shit ton of things wrong with this team, but you still choose to be a fan, and not continually post negative crap?

Freedom of speech?

I'm still a fan and go to every home game even though I have some negative outlooks on players, the roster, etc. Voicing those opinions in a discussion isn't a bad thing, is it?

Why is it only positive, rosey opinions are the ones that need to be read? I realize this is a fan page, but since when did being a fan mean spinning everything positive all the time? 

How dead would these boards be if only positive threads were made or positive thoughts given? I would venture to say there would be little to know topics or discussion because the team is trash.

BTW, feel free to start a positive thread and keep it on topic if someone gets off on a tangent.
You guys are full of it. NOBODY on here is 100% positive all the time. Whether it’s bashing Mike Brown, himself, or Marvin, everyone is critical of some aspect of this franchise. I can’t think of one single poster here who hasn’t complained about something.

Just because you don’t get down on the players themselves (especially our super duper nice guy QB) doesn’t mean you’re better fans, or are more “adult” than others.

Yeah, some of the responses I saw you make over Mixon’s comments were exactly that, let me tell you...

(10-16-2019, 08:43 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Freedom of speech?

I'm still a fan and go to every home game even though I have some negative outlooks on players, the roster, etc. Voicing those opinions in a discussion isn't a bad thing, is it?

Why is it only positive, rosey opinions are the ones that need to be read? I realize this is a fan page, but since when did being a fan mean spinning everything positive all the time? 

How dead would these boards be if only positive threads were made or positive thoughts given? I would venture to say there would be little to know topics or discussion because the team is trash.

BTW, feel free to start a positive thread and keep it on topic if someone gets off on a tangent.

I don't think anyone is saying to only read positive things.  I have posted negative stuff on here, too.  And no, voicing your opinions isn't a bad thing, IMO.  It's the certain few who get hateful and angry when you don't agree with them and their constant negative posts that bother me personally. 

We all know this team is bad.  From the FO to the players and coaches, there's not much positive to be said.  But why beat that horse in every thread, over and over?
(10-16-2019, 08:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You guys are full of it. NOBODY on here is 100% positive all the time. Whether it’s bashing Mike Brown, himself, or Marvin, everyone is critical of some aspect of this franchise. I can’t think of one single poster here who hasn’t complained about something.

Just because you don’t get down on the players themselves (especially our super duper nice guy QB) doesn’t mean you’re better fans, or are more “adult” than others.

Man Nicomo, you're really angry, huh?  For the record, I have said it's time to get a franchise QB, I think Dalton is at his peak level.  I just would rather not put someone behind the current OL to get slaughtered.  I also have voiced my disgust over our LB play.  You might not have read any of it, because I don't post it several times in every thread.
Getting back to the topic of this thread. I have a proposal myself. I propose that Truck and Pdub shake hands and call off this bet. And I also propose that we all, and I mean myself as well, work harder to try and get along through this mess. Otherwise I fear this board is going to become like the old Mothership.