Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Alex Cappa come on down
I went ahead and paid for PFF cause why not. Certainly being 18th is a large portion better than Carman at 67! LMAO
Reply/Quote
This is what PFF said about Cappa in free agency:

56. G ALEX CAPPA, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
Cappa was drafted in the third round of the 2018 NFL Draft out of Division II Humboldt State. And he’s gotten better each season as he made a huge adjustment to the speed of the NFL game, culminating in career highs as a pass-blocker (71.4) and run-blocker (71.2). The Buccaneers also have center Ryan Jensen hitting free agency and may not be able to retain both players, which could lead to a solid free agency for Cappa.

Strengths:
– Powerful finisher on downhill runs
– Creates movement on doubles and zone blocks
– Eliminates power rushes

Weaknesses:
– Struggles with lateral movement
– Can whiff and miscommunicate on stunts and twists
– Loses to pass-rushers with speed

Scheme Fit/Role:
STARTING GUARD: Cappa isn't a world-beater on the interior, but he adds legitimate value to teams that want to run the ball downhill. The Chargers, Dolphins and Jaguars should all be looking to add a run-blocking guard like Cappa.

Recent Injury History:
Cappa did not suffer any injury of significance in the 2021-22 season. The guard suffered an ankle injury in 2020 that landed him on the IR.

Contract Projection: Four years, $37 million ($9.25M per year), $20 million total guaranteed

Bottom Line:
As the NFL becomes more spread out, interior offensive linemen will need to be powerful enough to win one-on-one blocks between the guards. Cappa fits that mold and should add value to teams struggling with its downhill runs.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-free-agent-rankings-free-agency
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 02:35 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I think Carman is as good as Spain at LG and cheaper.  The biggest concern I have with Carman is his back.  If Im a betting man, I think he misses time again this year because of back problems.

how in the hell can anyone say this? Lmao

Im more confident in Reiff at RT than Carman at LG currently. Christ, he couldnt even beat out XSF or Adeniji
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 01:57 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I don’t think so. I believe agents can talk with teams but cannot close a deal until the deadline. Players are prohibited from any type of contact with other teams.

"During the beginning of the offseason, NFL rules strictly prohibit teams from contacting players under contract with other franchises; teams can’t even communicate with agents for such players. And since NFL player contracts all run to the conclusion of a particular league year, there can be — in theory, at least — no negotiating between teams and pending free agents between the end of the previous season and the time player contracts end in mid-March."

The NFL doesnt enforce this portion much when it happens right before the start of the season but still
Reply/Quote
Good start. Not a Bentley, but better than the Gremlin they were driving. Ok, maybe a Pacer.
Reply/Quote
Ben Jones for center, please. 2yrs at $6M a year. Let him ring chase, and he the leader of the line. Better PFF grades almost every year than Jensen (if that matters to you), and he’s a total glass eater. The dude walks barefoot on the field before every game, even when it’s snowing hard at Lambeau. Sign me up!
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 02:40 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Good start. Not a Bentley, but better than the Gremlin they were driving. Ok, maybe a Pacer.

It was a Big Wheel Sir
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 01:27 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well legal tampering didnt start till noon today... So its very doubtful they worked out this deal then leaked it to the twitter guy in less than 60 seconds

so they are definately guilty of illegal tampering....

Isn’t tampering like speeding? Everyone does it. And it’s only speeding if you get caught.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 02:43 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Isn’t tampering like speeding? Everyone does it. And it’s only speeding if you get caught.

lol kinda...    To be clear im not mad about it lol..  Im just saying gotta be careful how fast they announce these things... literally 1 minute after the deadline to start... Thats not even long enough for the guy to type the twitter post lol
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 02:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This is what PFF said about Cappa in free agency:

56. G ALEX CAPPA, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
Cappa was drafted in the third round of the 2018 NFL Draft out of Division II Humboldt State. And he’s gotten better each season as he made a huge adjustment to the speed of the NFL game, culminating in career highs as a pass-blocker (71.4) and run-blocker (71.2). The Buccaneers also have center Ryan Jensen hitting free agency and may not be able to retain both players, which could lead to a solid free agency for Cappa.

Strengths:
– Powerful finisher on downhill runs
– Creates movement on doubles and zone blocks
– Eliminates power rushes

Weaknesses:
Struggles with lateral movement
Can whiff and miscommunicate on stunts and twists
Loses to pass-rushers with speed

Scheme Fit/Role:
STARTING GUARD: Cappa isn't a world-beater on the interior, but he adds legitimate value to teams that want to run the ball downhill. The Chargers, Dolphins and Jaguars should all be looking to add a run-blocking guard like Cappa.

Recent Injury History:
Cappa did not suffer any injury of significance in the 2021-22 season. The guard suffered an ankle injury in 2020 that landed him on the IR.

Contract Projection: Four years, $37 million ($9.25M per year), $20 million total guaranteed

Bottom Line:
As the NFL becomes more spread out, interior offensive linemen will need to be powerful enough to win one-on-one blocks between the guards. Cappa fits that mold and should add value to teams struggling with its downhill runs.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

Thank you for the insight!  I'm worried a bit about if he fits our scheme now.  Unless we really want to start focusing on downhill running.  Don't we have wide splits?  
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 01:12 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not your grandpa's Bengals!

Wait, I'm the grandpa......

But not the username..
Getting old just ain't what it used to be is it? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well kick me in the nads and call me Nancy! Right outta the gate. WTG front office, keep 'em coming!
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 02:37 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: how in the hell can anyone say this? Lmao

Im more confident in Reiff at RT than Carman at LG currently. Christ, he couldnt even beat out XSF or Adeniji

He did end up beating Adeniji but had back problems.  You think the reason Adeniji played in the Super Bowl was because he was better than Carman?  Carman couldnt play because of his back.  If you have access go and rewatch the playoff games where Carman is laying on a table and medical staff is working on his back trying to get him back on the field.
Reply/Quote
If he’s above average then it’s a win and a major upgrade.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 02:39 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: "During the beginning of the offseason, NFL rules strictly prohibit teams from contacting players under contract with other franchises; teams can’t even communicate with agents for such players. And since NFL player contracts all run to the conclusion of a particular league year, there can be — in theory, at least — no negotiating between teams and pending free agents between the end of the previous season and the time player contracts end in mid-March."

The NFL doesnt enforce this portion much when it happens right before the start of the season but still

Reading this quote like a lawyer would, it says teams can't communicate with agents for such players. But it doesn't say that agents cannot send to teams what terms their players would agree to once the legal tampering period began. The Bengals could sit on that offer, not communicate with the agent or player, and call the agent at the stroke of 12 noon when legal tampering began and say they agree to those terms. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 02:44 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: lol kinda...    To be clear im not mad about it lol..  Im just saying gotta be careful how fast they announce these things... literally 1 minute after the deadline to start... Thats not even long enough for the guy to type the twitter post lol

Yeah, probably not smart to tell the cop you were doing 45mph in a school zone.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 01:12 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not your grandpa's Bengals!

Wait, I'm the grandpa......

Time is probably the only thing flies faster than you. Unless you’re doing a plank. Then a minute feels like forever.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 02:47 PM)Yogo Wrote: Thank you for the insight!  I'm worried a bit about if he fits our scheme now.  Unless we really want to start focusing on downhill running.  Don't we have wide splits?  

Understandable. But, if you were on the playground picking teams and you had to pick Cappa, Su’a-Filo, or Adeniji . . .
Reply/Quote
Ben Jones won't be headed our way...

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2022, 03:27 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Ben Jones won't be headed our way...

I like Karras better anyways cause of his youth and being coached by Billy B and his OL coaches.
Reply/Quote