Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Andy Dalton finds a new team. Congrats
(05-03-2020, 12:13 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Happy for him...nothing but a class act all the way and will miss that. Just a little  bit of a headscratcher because all along he said he wanted to go and start somewhere else. ....which begs the question maybe this Dak impass is worse then we are hearing?    

The Cowboys just have a bunch of stars to pay.  Dalton's chance to start may be next year.  I know he just signed a one year deal, but if the Cowboys do decide to move on from Dak Dalton would have the inside track to replace him or at least be a bridge QB while they develope a draft pick.

Remember how last year everyone here said a new coach wants his own new QB.  Well Dallas has a new head coach this year.  McCarthy may not be a big fan of Prescott.  Or at least not a big enough fan to pay him $30 million a year long term.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 11:50 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: No, he has an opportunity to start there, unlike here.  Without a new deal, there is a chance Prescott holds out and Andy will get the gig for this season before hitting the open market at the start of FA without a ton of other vets on the market as happened this season.  While it sounds as if the team and Prescott are far apart in contract dollars, the economic impact of the pandemic could make it much worse, as games played without fans in the stadiums will cause a contraction of the salary cap.  So even if they manage to get things close, they now have to worry about a structure that can prevent them having to cut a bunch of guys to stay under the cap next year because Dak's already astronomical number increases.  So there is a legitimate shot of Andy taking the field in Dallas.  Here, he is guaranteed he would only take the field for preseason and/or a Burrow injury.

Dallas has reportedly offered Dak $33M/season average with $105M guaranteed. The exclusive franchise tag will pay him around $31M if they can't reach a long term deal.  Dallas signed Andy for $3-7M/1 yr which indicates their long term plan for both players and how they value each.  For the reasons you mentioned it behooves Dak's agent to get a deal done this year.  Which all but assures Dalton he will be the back up.  Dak's agent is just trying to squeeze every nickel out of Dallas he can. I can only think of one player who has sat out an entire NFL season after refusing to sign their franchise tag, Le'veon Bell.  I don't know if the financial analysis showed Bell was better or worse off in the long run, but I doubt Dak could recoup a loss of approximately $30M by sitting out a year.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 11:14 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We have a history of fans turning and taking personal attacks on our players. Heck, these fans probably turned on their mother once she had a bad year.

Could be worse, could be playing in front of Eagle fans

[Image: philadelphia-eagles-fans-5ac86679045d7f45.jpg]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 11:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’d have to get over them primetime/big stage woes real quick...

Carson had the same woes and got over them as soon as he left Cincy.

(05-03-2020, 12:09 AM)Kingslayer Wrote: Is Dak 33 million better than Dalton? I don't think so

Let's be honest here. If we flipped their situations last year, their stats are probably flipped, too.

(05-03-2020, 03:35 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Let me point out that you just said Andy Dalton, a guy who has like $100,000,000 due to his ability to throw a football, is a class act, but f*** Dak for wanting a big contract. 

Also, getting on a QB's arse for wanting $40 million a year may seem wise now, but if Joe Burrow turns out to be as good as we want him to be we're going to have to stomach paying him damn near $50 million a year in 2025. Brace yourself to hate on Burrow!*

*or we could just stop getting bent out of shape over other people's bank accounts

I don't think it's so much that people are worried about someone's bank account so much as they know $40 million per is a huge chunk of cap that kinda cripples a team's ability to sign other good players, of which the Cowboys have a lot.

People aren't sold on Dak yet. He's been surrounded with a wealth of talent that makes 2015 Dalton blush, yet he hasn't accomplished much of anything. Dalton was paid below market value really. Meanwhile, Dak is asking to (I think) be paid as the top QB in the NFL.

(05-03-2020, 11:55 AM)McC Wrote: I guess this means Andy's last stop will have to be in AZ.

Well, Boomer, Blake and Palmer all started for AZ late in their careers. So I'm sure they'll sign Andy at some point.

(05-03-2020, 12:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I see most of you are talking about Dalton starting if Dak holds out.

I don't think Dak will hold out, but he may play under the tag and be gone next year. That is when Dalton would get a chance to start. The Cowboys would have the flexibility to draft a QB that neeeds a year to develope because they would already have the bridge in place.

Plus it's a 1 year deal for Andy. Best case scenario is he gets to take over a loaded team in his hometown. Worst case, he gets to spend a year holding a clipboard at home for $3 million, then gets to hit the market next year, with far less QBs available.

It really is a perfect move for both Dallas and Dalton.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 12:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have no clue.

I'm marking the date; May 3rd, 2020.  The day fredtoast didn't have an opinion on something.
Reply/Quote
Dak ain’t worth no $40 million dollars, but then what the heck do you do when Minnesota signs Cousins to a massive ridiculous contract and some other stupid team will pay him.

Remember though what happened to the Ravens when they crippled their salary cap to sign a very mediocre QB that happened to have a good streak at just the right time.
Reply/Quote
I'm happy for Andy. Seems like a good deal for both sides. He's a top end backup for Dak and solid insurance for the Cowboys if something happens with Dak (injury, holdout, whatever). A 1 year deal gives him the opportunity to test free agency again next year or potentially stay in Dallas if something can't be reached with Dak.

I've never been a big fan of Dak. Obviously he's talented and a good QB. I guess a lot of it has to do with I'm just not a big fan of Jerry Jones and the Cowboys. I don't think Dak is worth $30-40m a year. Of course, the Vikings signing Cousins to that dumbass deal complicates things. I guess we'll see how all of this plays out for Dak.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 12:47 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Dallas has reportedly offered Dak $33M/season average with $105M guaranteed. The exclusive franchise tag will pay him around $31M if they can't reach a long term deal.  Dallas signed Andy for $3-7M/1 yr which indicates their long term plan for both players and how they value each.  For the reasons you mentioned it behooves Dak's agent to get a deal done this year.  Which all but assures Dalton he will be the back up.  Dak's agent is just trying to squeeze every nickel out of Dallas he can. I can only think of one player who has sat out an entire NFL season after refusing to sign their franchise tag, Le'veon Bell.  I don't know if the financial analysis showed Bell was better or worse off in the long run, but I doubt Dak could recoup a loss of approximately $30M by sitting out a year.

You are absolutley correct that it is in his best interest to get signed, but holdout's do not have to be for an entire season.  Most that do hold out wait until the start of the regular season, or the deadline to get their accrued season credited to report.  Either of those being the case means Dak probably won't be starting immediately (especially in a new system).  So say he holds out until week 6 and Andy has them wining games that entire time, do you think they will pull Dalton at that point to put Prescott in, or keep Dak on the bench while he "gets up to speed" and continue with Andy at the helm?  It's not far fetched to see McCarthy keep Dalton running the show as the hot hand in that situation.  But again, until Dak signs the tag, it gets more and more likely that Dalton takes the field.  Hell, Cowboys fans are now screaming for them to pull the tag off the table because Dalton is on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 12:54 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I'm marking the date; May 3rd, 2020.  The day fredtoast didn't have an opinion on something.

[Image: 200.gif]
Reply/Quote
LOL
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 02:16 AM)RASCAL Wrote: whoever said dak prescott was top 5 qbs last year is a joke. He was ranked 13th. Hell even baker mayfly was ranked higher!. NO WAY is he worth 35 million per year!! NO WAY IN HELL!!!

Wtf are you talking about?

Dak 4902 yds 30 TD 11 INT 99.7 rating

Mayfield 3827 yds 22 TD 21 INT 78.8 rating

You my man, are the joke.

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 01:32 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: You are absolutley correct that it is in his best interest to get signed, but holdout's do not have to be for an entire season.  Most that do hold out wait until the start of the regular season, or the deadline to get their accrued season credited to report.  Either of those being the case means Dak probably won't be starting immediately (especially in a new system).  So say he holds out until week 6 and Andy has them wining games that entire time, do you think they will pull Dalton at that point to put Prescott in, or keep Dak on the bench while he "gets up to speed" and continue with Andy at the helm?  It's not far fetched to see McCarthy keep Dalton running the show as the hot hand in that situation.  But again, until Dak signs the tag, it gets more and more likely that Dalton takes the field.  Hell, Cowboys fans are now screaming for them to pull the tag off the table because Dalton is on the roster.

Those are all reasonable scenarios.  But, I think it is also reasonable to believe Dak and his agent will continue to negotiate for the best deal possible given the time of year, but will ultimately sign a deal offering $105 million guaranteed rather than holding out given Dak's talent compared to his peers and the economic forecast you have predicted.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 02:25 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Dalton posted a 106 passer rating with less talent than Dak had last year.

I guess Amari Cooper is prime AJ Green now...

Dak clearly had the better OL (we did have Whit, Zeitler, Boling), and Zeke is obviously a million times better than Hill, but Dak last year and Andy in 2015 had the same exact number of skill players voted to the Pro Bowl (I know you’re big on those to prove points).

Bengals - AJ, Eifert

Cowboys - Zeke, Cooper

The Dallas OL did have 3 Pro Bowlers in Martin, Smith, and Frederick to our 1 in Whitworth, but Whit was All Pro that year, which is the same number of All Pro’s they had (Martin).

The Cowboys only had 1 Pro Bowl starter on defense in Jaylon Smith to our 4 (Geno, Pacman, Dunlap, Nelson). And Geno was All Pro.

So outside of a better overall OL, and RB, was last year’s Cowboys team really that much better than our 2015 team? I don’t think so.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2020, 10:15 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if he's the starter at week 1. Congratulations to Dalton. I'm glad he's not in the AFC. I wish you luck and I hope to see you lose to us in the Superbowl every year

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/05/02/cowboys-sign-andy-dalton/

Pretty interesting the comments of the fans (on Florio-douche's website, no less) saying this is a great move for Dallas and that he will either take Dak's job or at the very least get him to sign the deal.  Hmmm.  They don't seem to think so little of Dalton. 

I would love to see him take the job there and run with it.

No one in comments made the obvious correlation to replacing Ginger Garrett.  Opportunity missed.   
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 12:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Could be worse, could be playing in front of Eagle fans

[Image: philadelphia-eagles-fans-5ac86679045d7f45.jpg]

They don't mess around in Philly....they boo'd Santa Claus.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 05:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You need to educate yourself on the difference in health issues between that MVP and Dalton.

And also tell Pdub not to bring up career passer rating.

I'm more comparing 2015 to 2020 than Cam to Dalton.
Reply/Quote
This is a great move by Jerry Jones. He now has leverage and a cheap insurance policy in Andy Dalton. If Dak doesn't hold out, the Cowboys have 2 NFL caliber starting QB's and if he does, Andy has nine years experience starting, and Dalton gets to go back home to Texas as a bonus.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 12:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't think it's so much that people are worried about someone's bank account so much as they know $40 million per is a huge chunk of cap that kinda cripples a team's ability to sign other good players, of which the Cowboys have a lot.

I hear ya, but what can you do?  We had Dalton on a team-friendly deal and it still wasn't friendly enough so the solution the NFL has found as of late is to get a QB on a rookie deal and then put the money elsewhere.  But then your QB wins and then wants like a billion bucks per year and then it turns into a one man team situation.  We have high hopes for Burrow and if he meets them we are going to eventually have the Joe Burrow one-man squad.  Such is life.

(05-03-2020, 12:48 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well, Boomer, Blake and Palmer all started for AZ late in their careers. So I'm sure they'll sign Andy at some point.

The life of a Bengals QB in the MB era:

start with Cincy
leave on less than stellar terms
go to your home state (Boomer = NY Jets, Palmer = Raiders, Andy = Dallas)
end up in AZ
put up some oddly high numbers at times
Nately120 buys your Cardinals jersey because who the hell in Steeler country wears that sort of thing?

So Dalton is on step 3 as of now.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2020, 02:25 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Dalton posted a 106 passer rating with less talent than Dak had last year.

And RGIII posted a rating of 103 with Alfred Morris as his feature back and former Bengal great Desmond Briscoe as one of this top WRs. 

Thing is Andy and RGIII both only did it once in their careers while Dak has consistently been one of the better QBs in the NFL
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
That was a very smart move by Dallas and now I have a reason to watch Cowboy games.
Reply/Quote