Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another School Shooting
https://www.click2houston.com/news/police-confirm-reports-of-active-shooter-at-santa-fe-high-school

Quote:SANTA FE, Texas - A spokesman for police confirmed Friday that they are investigating an active-shooter situation at Santa Fe High School.

It was not immediately clear if anyone was injured.

The school is located on State Highway 6 near Morning Glory Drive.

The Harris County Sheriff's Office confirmed they are also sending deputies to the scene.

Life Flight was also called to the school.

KPRC2 has crews headed to the scene.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Damn it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Seeing reports the shooter is in custody. Word is there are dead and wounded, but no confirmed numbers as of yet.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Local media reporting 8 confirmed dead.

Death toll is up to 10
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I want to know where the kid got the gun from?
Used an AR-15?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Watching Fox and they have a student on air. This isn’t right. The media should t be preying on children who go through this type of stuff.
(05-18-2018, 03:09 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Watching Fox and they have a student on air.   This isn’t right.   The media should t be preying on children  who go through this type of stuff.

Classic example of shifting the blame onto something else than the actual issue at hand...and of course the media is a popular choice here (see also: mental Health, where were the parents or we really shouldn't be politicizing this right now). 
[Image: lets-take-a-moment-to-honor-the-sacrific...934089.png]
(05-18-2018, 03:46 PM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: Classic example of shifting the blame onto something else than the actual issue at hand...and of course the media is a popular choice here (see also: mental Health, where were the parents or we really shouldn't be politicizing this right now). 

What is the actual issue at hand?

(05-18-2018, 03:07 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Used an AR-15?

Nope. Shotgun and a .38 revolver.

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/education/wp/2018/05/18/reports-of-shots-fired-at-high-school-near-houston/?utm_term=.a5d67310d716

(05-18-2018, 04:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What is the actual issue at hand?

What can be done to reduce the number of mass shootings at schools.
(05-18-2018, 04:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What can be done to reduce the number of mass shootings at schools.

I agree, that's why I questioned how is considering mental health deflecting?

I would also consider "where were the parents" as the guns were his father's

Shotguns and .38 revolvers have been around for at least a century. Maybe not the exact same models, but generally speaking.

So asking in general here, but what has changed these last 20 some years, or what has helped trigger all these school shootings?

Maybe instead of society arguing over guns and whatnot, maybe people should start to look at deeper issues in our society that are triggering this new age of mass shootings. Sure keep improving gun laws, as I am a proponent of that, but short of literally repealing the 2nd amendment and trying to ban all guns outside of hunting rifles kept at the local police station, not much can really be done if our society continues on the same path it has for a few decades now.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(05-18-2018, 05:52 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Shotguns and .38 revolvers have been around for at least a century. Maybe not the exact same models, but generally speaking.

So asking in general here, but what has changed these last 20 some years, or what has helped trigger all these school shootings?

Maybe instead of society arguing over guns and whatnot, maybe people should start to look at deeper issues in our society that are triggering this new age of mass shootings. Sure keep improving gun laws, as I am a proponent of that, but short of literally repealing the 2nd amendment and trying to ban all guns outside of hunting rifles kept at the local police station, not much can really be done if our society continues on the same path it has for a few decades now.

I think it is a product of the new idea that "Fame" is more important than any "substance".  It used to be that people strove to achieve something so that they could be famous.  Now people just want to be "famous" for no reason or even a bad reason.

A person who feels weak and oppressed thinks he can become the most famous person in the country. That makes them feel powerful because fame is so important now it doesn't matter what you are famous for.

A higher percentage of the population owned guns in 1970, and I assume we had just as much mental illness as today.  yet back then mass shooting (other than family massacres) were unheard of.
(05-18-2018, 05:52 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Shotguns and .38 revolvers have been around for at least a century. Maybe not the exact same models, but generally speaking.

If I had to suggest one thing it would be social media. Everybody wants to be famous; some just try to obtain that fame through infamy. 

(05-18-2018, 05:52 PM)Millhouse Wrote: So asking in general here, but what has changed these last 20 some years, or what has helped trigger all these school shootings?

I am sure Mike Brown is somehow to blame.
I don't know if parents are responsible if their kids get access, but if you own a gun, that should go along with the responsibility
When are we going to consider actually teaching gun safety and use in schools as part of graduation requirements. Teaching students how to safety use, car for, and store guns can not be a bad thing. If you teach safety it will go home. A lot of these problems are parents who do not store their guns properly. Plus you would be able to see which children were overly excited for gun class.

This and securing the schools should work hand in Hand.