Poll: Are you happy with the John Ross pick?
This poll is closed.
Yes
47.87%
90 47.87%
No
32.45%
61 32.45%
Indifferent
19.68%
37 19.68%
Total 188 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you happy with the John Ross Pick Poll
(04-28-2017, 12:06 AM)Burma Wrote: Watch his biggest game of the year versus Alabama.  

That's more like the bama def shut down the Washington offense. Browning looked terrible the whole game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-28-2017, 01:46 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: I love the pick.  The torn labrum doesn't worry me, but the knees sure do.  If he stays healthy for the next five years I would say this pick is worth the price.

John Ross himself said the shoulder bothers him more than the knees. He says his knees feel better than before he tore them up.

As Eox said, he got super knees.
(04-28-2017, 01:49 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: That's more like the bama def shut down the Washington offense.  Browning looked terrible the whole game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone who thinks Dalton cannot throw better deep than this guy better check their shit.

Terrible deep ball passer, Ross will thrive here with a good deep ball QB in Andy Dalton.
(04-28-2017, 01:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: John Ross himself said the shoulder bothers him more than the knees. He says his knees feel better than before he tore them up.

Fair point.  What I mean is that a wide receiver may be able to play with achy shoulders, but bad knees (if they get to that point) can end a career.
(04-28-2017, 01:54 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Fair point.  What I mean is that a wide receiver may be able to play with achy shoulders, but bad knees (if they get to that point) can end a career.

A bad hit to the knees can take anyone out for their career as we saw with Jordan Shipley.

The thing is anyone can get hurt at anytime. Eifert wasn't injury prone in college, he arguably has been in the NFL.

Munoz had injured knees coming out of college and ended up being the greatest Bengal of all time.

Allen fell due to injury concerns, teams were much more concerned about him than John Ross it seems.
(04-28-2017, 05:20 AM)treee Wrote: Just thought I'd drop in and say that Dalton's deep throws definitely are definitely the weakest part of his game. He's serviceable for sure but I understand people questioning whether we'll be able to utilize Ross.

It's been proven time and again - through statistics - that deep passes are not a weakness for Dalton.

He's had years where he was among the best in deep accuracy. 

Folks just have unrealistic expectations. Deep passes are typically a low percentage throw for good reason. Most QB's complete only 35 to 40% of them.

But whenever Dalton misses, it's always blown up into a huge deal due to the perception of his arm. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(04-28-2017, 02:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: A bad hit to the knees can take anyone out for their career as we saw with Jordan Shipley.

The thing is anyone can get hurt at anytime. Eifert wasn't injury prone in college, he arguably has been in the NFL.

Munoz had injured knees coming out of college and ended up being the greatest Bengal of all time.

Allen fell due to injury concerns, teams were much more concerned about him than John Ross it seems.

Good point Nate.  I feel even better now.  Ultimately it will come down to whether Ross has the good fortune to stay healthy, as I suppose all NFL players.  I hope the torn meniscus doesn't put his career on a short clock, but if OnceMoreUntoTheJimBreech is reading this, maybe he can weigh in on the possible wear on the cartilage once a person already has a torn meniscus.  

But here's hoping dude ends up on the same career path as Munoz.
(04-28-2017, 01:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: John Ross himself said the shoulder bothers him more than the knees. He says his knees feel better than before he tore them up.

He ran a 4.2 after the ACL tear...so that doesn't worry me.

His pattern of constantly being injured does. He's had what injuries to both knees and his shoulder?

Hopefully he can play 16 games for us.
(04-28-2017, 02:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's been proven time and again - through statistics - that deep passes are not a weakness for Dalton.

He's had years where he was among the best in deep accuracy. 

Folks just have unrealistic expectations. Deep passes are typically a low percentage throw for good reason. Most QB's complete only 35 to 40% of them.

But whenever Dalton misses, it's always blown up into a huge deal due to the perception of his arm. 

When A.J. has the CB beaten by two steps for an easy touchdown, but gets tackled because he has to slow down for an under thrown ball, how does that show up in the statistics?

As a completion (to an elite WR who saves Dalton's ass time and time again.)

I'm not sayin' he is horrible at it, but it is not a strength. So Dalton and a smallish, deep threat WR who "takes the top off the defense" with injury concerns may not compliment each other the same way A.J. and Dalton compliment each other.
(04-28-2017, 02:09 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Good point Nate.  I feel even better now.  Ultimately it will come down to whether Ross has the good fortune to stay healthy, as I suppose all NFL players.  I hope the torn meniscus doesn't put his career on a short clock, but if OnceMoreUntoTheJimBreech is reading this, maybe he can weigh in on the possible wear on the cartilage once a person already has a torn meniscus.  

Prognosis varies widely depending upon the individual injury.

Most meniscal tears aren't a big deal. But, they can be. Some can heal with time and rehab alone while others may require complete removal of the meniscus with microfracture surgery. (Kinda like when Burficts' meniscal tear didn't heal as expected followed by microfracture surgery.) I think meniscal injuries lead to Levi Jones' and Peter Warrick's knee problems, but that's off the top of my head so don't quote me. Plus no surgeon has a crystal ball to see into the future to predict which surgeries will succeed and which will fail.

Ki-Jana Carter, Chris Perry, David Pollack, 2nd round Auburn RB never played a down whose name I can't remember; you can't predict injuries.
(04-28-2017, 02:38 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Prognosis varies widely depending upon the individual injury.

Most meniscal tears aren't a big deal. But, they can be. Some can heal with time and rehab alone while others may require complete removal of the meniscus with microfracture surgery. (Kinda like when Burficts' meniscal tear didn't heal as expected followed by microfracture surgery.)  I think meniscal injuries lead to Levi Jones' and Peter Warrick's knee problems, but that's off the top of my head so don't quote me.  Plus no surgeon has a crystal ball to see into the future to predict which surgeries will succeed and which will fail.

Ki-Jana Carter, Chris Perry, David Pollack, 2nd round Auburn RB never played a down whose name I can't remember; you can't predict injuries.

Kenny Irons

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

I think they could have moved down and still got Ross
(04-28-2017, 02:38 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Prognosis varies widely depending upon the individual injury.

Most meniscal tears aren't a big deal. But, they can be. Some can heal with time and rehab alone while others may require complete removal of the meniscus with microfracture surgery. (Kinda like when Burficts' meniscal tear didn't heal as expected followed by microfracture surgery.)  I think meniscal injuries lead to Levi Jones' and Peter Warrick's knee problems, but that's off the top of my head so don't quote me.  Plus no surgeon has a crystal ball to see into the future to predict which surgeries will succeed and which will fail.

Yeah, and the Bengals medical group must have felt comfortable about Ross' knee enough to green light the pick medically.  But saying that probably makes most of the posters worry more b/c well we all know that posters here are leery about trusting the Bengals' medical evaluators.  I'm not one of them, but this probably will lead to more cynicism in the board.  
Just for the simple fact that so many people are debating whether this kid can stay healthy or not should have been enough to consider someone else. I don't think anyone is doubting if he's talented enough to be the 9th pick, it's the injurys and size. I think everybody that's against this pick has very valid points. Teams even took him off their boards for these reasons. He seems like a great guy, I hope he stays healthy and competes at a level that exceeds our expectations. Every player taken in the draft is a crap shoot, and I completely understand why people are upset when we select a speedster player with past injurys to his knees. Especially a player of his size. We have been plagued with injuries over the years with our first round picks and even selecting players already injured. It gets frustrating and I'm sure fans have had enough. With the other WR's off the board, not that I think we even needed a WR in the first, I think I would have preferred OJ Howard. He can cause miss matches and just as much damage and would have been far less of a gamble. But the pick is in, nothing we can do about it now but hope for the best. If he can stay healthy we may have something special. For now let's just see how the rest of this draft pans out and hope for the best.
(04-28-2017, 02:09 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Good point Nate.  I feel even better now.  Ultimately it will come down to whether Ross has the good fortune to stay healthy, as I suppose all NFL players.  I hope the torn meniscus doesn't put his career on a short clock, but if OnceMoreUntoTheJimBreech is reading this, maybe he can weigh in on the possible wear on the cartilage once a person already has a torn meniscus.  

In the end the draft is a crapshoot. We will see how it plays out but i personally wouldn't of picked anyone else the way
the draft played out. John Ross is a great WR at an area of need that instantly made us one of the most dangerous WR
corps in the NFL. There are plenty of reasons to have picked him over all the other guys that were around.

It isn't a coincidence Allen, Hooker and especially Foster fell so far.

(04-28-2017, 02:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He ran a 4.2 after the ACL tear...so that doesn't worry me.

His pattern of constantly being injured does. He's had what injuries to both knees and his shoulder?

Hopefully he can play 16 games for us.

He has a history of playing through those injuries as well and producing.

Cannot leave this part out, or the part about him being an all around great WR. He is not just speed.

Sound like a broken record saying this but it is the truth.
(04-28-2017, 09:08 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote:  Still, Ross doesn't sound like a Mike Brown, Marvin Lewis, or even Duke Tobin type pick. 

That could be a good thing, considering the Bengals post season record. 

It's about time someone starts doing something different. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
If we get Mixon in round 2 then I will just look at it like I did the draft in 2010.

Mixon was a slight reach in round 1 but Ross was a hell of a steal in 2.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
[Image: C6PufZEUwAAlWIG.jpg:large]
https://twitter.com/MattHarmon_BYB/status/838776492003737602
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: C-gdZpnVYAAQfq3.jpg:large]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

(04-28-2017, 02:22 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: When A.J. has the CB beaten by two steps for an easy touchdown, but gets tackled because he has to slow down for an under thrown ball, how does that show up in the statistics?

As a completion (to an elite WR who saves Dalton's ass time and time again.)

I'm not sayin' he is horrible at it, but it is not a strength. So Dalton and a smallish, deep threat WR who "takes the top off the defense" with injury concerns may not compliment each other the same way A.J. and Dalton compliment each other.

This happens to Dalton less often than people like you say, and it happens to other QBs more than you say. Not every deep ball is going to be a dime...that's why dimes make the highlights. Nobody had to slow down on any of these deep throws:

I'm not saying Dalton is a top 5 deep passer or anything, but it's not a weakness. You seem to be implying that Dalton won't be able to take advantage of a deep threat not named AJ Green, which seems silly when some of Dalton's best deep throws were to Marvin Jones. Dalton has literally hit more than 100 deep throws - in stride - through his career and the evidence is all over YouTube for all to see. 

I'm fine with saying he's not exceptional at it, but don't pretend Dalton is constantly bailed out by AJ Green and guys always have to run back to the throw. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.