Poll: Are you happy with the John Ross pick?
This poll is closed.
Yes
47.87%
90 47.87%
No
32.45%
61 32.45%
Indifferent
19.68%
37 19.68%
Total 188 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you happy with the John Ross Pick Poll
(04-28-2017, 05:43 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I think we can all agree it's at least better than the Bears pick....

Ok this did make me feel better.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-28-2017, 10:25 AM)Steve Wrote: I too would of rather we picked Howard....
i'm thinking if we use Ross as a punt or kick off returner he's going to get injured.....
w/ Howard he's a stud & would not be injury prone...
but whatever....it is what it is....
i'm not against this pick, I just see it as risky....i'd of preferred Howard

What do you do with Eifert then? And what do you do with Eiferts contract situation? (If you draft Howard.)
(04-28-2017, 10:19 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Boyd pick was us needing a WR after Jones and Sanu left. We targeted other guys. They were gone. We took the best available in Boyd.

There is some redundancy with Boyd and Ross though.
Boyd is a solid pick... without question, so much so, it makes the point of why choosing another WR in the first Round when he was going to slip more than likely to the 2nd or much deeper and if he didn't slip and someone picked him up we still have many untested WR on the roster...  and we could have filled some gaps with some solid players.  This pick is getting me more concerned about what the Bengals are thinking..  We have been prone to injuries by these draft picks lately. 
(04-28-2017, 10:27 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What do you do with Eifert then? And what do you do with Eiferts contract situation? (If you draft Howard.)

If eifert wants to much money u tag him and let him walk and take the pick....you still have a young stud TE and a high pick to boot.
I don't believe the whole "he won't be injury prone". How the hell can one make such a bold assumption after seeing how active Eifert has been versus college?
I think with eifert it'll depend on what he and most importantly the market demands. He's a wildcard because if he could stay healthy it's a no brainer, you pay the man. Unfortunately he can't....they might reluctantly let him walk after this season because of that, and I can't blame them if they do.

I'm happy with the Ross pick, from the standpoint of it looking like the Bengals want to diversify the offense a bit. Not sure I would have made the same pick, if I were the one in charge. Could have likely gotten a near identical player in Curtis Samuel, later.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(04-28-2017, 10:07 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This guy does have high upside...but he also is a HUGE risk with the injury factor. He's a 5 foot 10, 188 lb receiver. He may not be tall enough to play outside and may end up being a slot receiver.

He's taller than Antonio Brown.

(04-28-2017, 10:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He's taller than Antonio Brown.

And he's the size of OBJ.
(04-28-2017, 10:25 AM)Steve Wrote: I too would of rather we picked Howard....
i'm thinking if we use Ross as a punt or kick off returner he's going to get injured.....
w/ Howard he's a stud & would not be injury prone...
but whatever....it is what it is....
i'm not against this pick, I just see it as risky....i'd of preferred Howard

Yep.

Ross might offer more of a big play threat, ok, but Howard can also make big plays and I'll take a security blanket that can move the chains all day over a big play threat, especially since Howard would also do big things in the red zone.
The guy has great speed and doesn't seem to have character issues. I'm guessing that he's a hard worker with good talent. He's also a small framed guy in a violent game that has already had 3 surgeries. I voted no, if he hurts gets hurt again in the same area... it could be career ending vs. season ending. He wouldn't have been there for our second pick, that would have changed my vote though.
(04-28-2017, 10:55 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yep.

Ross might offer more of a big play threat, ok, but Howard can also make big plays and I'll take a security blanket that can move the chains all day over a big play threat, especially since Howard would also do big things in the red zone.

Sounds like Howard was the other option on the Bengals board.  He was plan B.
To those who say that Ross is a one trick pony.

[Image: C6Pv9WGVAAAuKF1.jpg]
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Thumbs Up 
Super happy we got this guy for so many reasons. Jumped off the couch when i heard we got him.
(04-28-2017, 12:52 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: To those who say that Ross is a one trick pony.

[Image: C6Pv9WGVAAAuKF1.jpg]

If it wasn't for the injury history, I'd be STOKED with this pick.  As it stands now, I'm lukewarm.

"Better send those refunds..."

(04-28-2017, 12:59 PM)Wyche Wrote: If it wasn't for the injury history, I'd be STOKED with this pick.  As it stands now, I'm lukewarm.

Here's the thing for me. Ross played in all 13 games his freshmen year. He played in 13 of the 14 games his sophomore year and he had to switch to CB after Marcus Peters was kicked off the team. He missed 2015 because of the ACL injury. This past season, he played in all 14 games. So in the 3 seasons he played, he missed one game.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
(04-28-2017, 01:11 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Here's the thing for me. Ross played in all 13 games his freshmen year. He played in 13 of the 14 games his sophomore year and he had to switch to CB after Marcus Peters was kicked off the team. He missed 2015 because of the ACL injury. This past season, he played in all 14 games. So in the 3 seasons he played, he missed one game.

Yeah, and I get that....I just worry about the cuts, the rigors of weekly play in the NFL on those knees, and what have you.  I guess the deals with Og and Eifert have me totally gunshy....kid can ball though, no question.

"Better send those refunds..."

(04-28-2017, 01:04 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Love it.

Ross is more than just speed, watch his game. He has some of the best route running and is explosive in and out of cuts. He's played against numerous coverage types and still produced. He makes people miss and can turn a game around.

He gives something the Bengals have never had before. Plus, with him on the field, do you put a safety on Ross and Green? That opens up the seams in the middle of the field with Eifert. Also we saw numerous times where Boyd would be open in the seams but Dalton wouldn't see him, a year together will certainly help that.

People bringing up injury issues tend to forget that he played the year with a torn labrum in his shoulder and produced at a high level.

Sure, there were other players on the board. But in the 9 losses the Bengals had last year, they didn't score more than 20 points. Red zone was abysmal. In the last 40 games where the Bengals score 25+ points, they are 37-1-2. If the Bengals can score, they can win. And Ross gives us an explosive player we've never had before with his type of speed.

Wolf knows whats up. :andy:
(04-28-2017, 06:49 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: You beat me to it!  I was going to call him The Flash as well.

Yeah Bonnie.

Watching the guy play sometimes you can't see him he is so fast.

That reminded me of The Flash. Cool
I love the pick. The torn labrum doesn't worry me, but the knees sure do. If he stays healthy for the next five years I would say this pick is worth the price.