Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As a 5th year starting QB
(08-26-2015, 12:32 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It was during the offseason '13 and I lost my cool.  I never bet on something that I can not control, but I got in a heated debate with Toast Jones (aka Wes Mantooth) and bet him that we would win a playoff game.  I backed out of the bet almost immediately.  It was long before the season started and nothing had changed to effect my chances of losing the bet.  I just wised up and realized I had broken my rule against betting on something that I can not control.

Works for me.  Doesn't diminish the fact that you specifically backed out of a bet, but at least you're man enough to admit it. 

Unlike old tape'it back teeth over here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 12:32 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It was during the offseason '13 and I lost my cool.  I never bet on something that I can not control, but I got in a heated debate with Toast Jones (aka Wes Mantooth) and bet him that we would win a playoff game.  I backed out of the bet almost immediately.  It was long before the season started and nothing had changed to effect my chances of losing the bet.  I just wised up and realized I had broken my rule against betting on something that I can not control.

Lol. What bets do you make that you can you control? And who would accept a bet that you can control?

This defies logic.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 12:43 AM)Blake2Pickens Wrote: Lol.  What bets do you make that you can you control?  And who would accept a bet that you can control?

This defies logic.

I mean bet on something I am doing myself. 

For example "I bet I can do simple addition better than you."

Wanna take that bet?
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 12:49 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I mean bet on something I am doing myself. 

For example "I bet I can do simple addition better than you."

Wanna take that bet?

My money is on Fred in any contest involving simple things.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 12:36 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: lol  Sorry, no hot pics of me, just a "history" on the boards.

You're that guy that posted as his father saying he was dead.

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 01:01 AM)bfine32 Wrote: You're that guy that posted as his father saying he was dead.

You mean that heaven guy.  Nope.  Sorry.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
But back to the OP: I'm not the biggest fan of Dalton's on field performance, but some things said here are ridiculous. Alabama Jesus (AJ) is not taking over this team anytime soon and unless Andy completely tanks he will be our starter for the foreseeable future.

Reply/Quote
Damn near every pass Dalton drops back 3 steps and chucks the ball to whoever.

Never takes advantage when he has a pocket.

Never allows receivers time to get open.

Never checks down.

Never reads progression.

Dalton sucks
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 01:46 AM)Ricky Spanish Wrote: Damn near every pass Dalton drops back 3 steps and chucks the ball to whoever.

Never takes advantage when he has a pocket.

Never allows receivers time to get open.

Never checks down.

Never reads progression.

Dalton sucks

Yawn
Reply/Quote
I'm hardly a dalton apologist, he doesn't possess the intangibles of an elite NFL qb, but those of you who keep saying "when he has time", it doesn't matter when he has time. If he is getting hit 75% of the time before he can complete a 3 step drop, like we saw on Monday, he is going to lock in on a receiver pre snap to avoid the sack. Dalton was sacked each time he took a 5-7 step drop, that does not help a quarterback who struggles with his reads.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 08:25 AM)thegimp Wrote: I'm hardly a dalton apologist, he doesn't possess the intangibles of an elite NFL qb, but those of you who keep saying "when he has time", it doesn't matter when he has time.  If he is getting hit 75% of the time before he can complete a 3 step drop, like we saw on Monday, he is going to lock in on a receiver pre snap to avoid the sack.  Dalton was sacked each time he took a 5-7 step drop, that does not help a quarterback who struggles with his reads.

Let's say that excuse is valid for Monday.

It still hasn't happened often in the past outside of maybe 1 or 2 of the playoff games where they looked pretty rough.

EVERY QB in the NFL will get hit, pressured, and sacked. It's the way it is. Our line is pretty damn good, and they have been. Argue exactly where they're ranked all you want, but they're GOOD.

I'm not concerned with what happened Monday because we won't be seeing it on a regular basis throughout the year. It was preseason, c'mon, man! No one looked good out there on Monday, Andy included, but I will bet that Andy, o-line, WRs, and defense all will be just fine when it comes to week 1.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 08:31 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Let's say that excuse is valid for Monday.

It still hasn't happened often in the past outside of maybe 1 or 2 of the playoff games where they looked pretty rough.

EVERY QB in the NFL will get hit, pressured, and sacked. It's the way it is. Our line is pretty damn good, and they have been. Argue exactly where they're ranked all you want, but they're GOOD.

I'm not concerned with what happened Monday because we won't be seeing it on a regular basis throughout the year. It was preseason, c'mon, man! No one looked good out there on Monday, Andy included, but I will bet that Andy, o-line, WRs, and defense all will be just fine when it comes to week 1.

I think the Bengals start out the season 1-2. I'm not sure how anyone can think they will be "fine."

Andy Dalton is still the QB. By definition the team is not "fine."
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 08:57 AM)kramer1 Wrote: I think the Bengals start out the season 1-2. I'm not sure how anyone can think they will be "fine."

Andy Dalton is still the QB. By definition the team is not "fine."

First of all, they could start out 1-2 and still be "fine". Even if they wouldn't be fine in that circumstance, your wild guess of our record after 3 games is hardly an indication of reality. Not really proof of anything for you to say that since you happen to think they're going to start out 1-2 that it means they aren't "fine". That's dumb.

Andy is a decent QB that flashes great play and he gives us the best shot at winning football games right now more so than anyone else available. Who do you think we should replace him with right now? I'm no Andy defender, but seriously, what else is this team supposed to do right now? They've won plenty of games with Andy on the field, so by definition, you're incorrect.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 11:58 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: You mean he's Joe From Flo?  Maybe I ought to come clean?  JC?  Your thoughts. 

Tiger Teeth is Ron Mexico!!!!!
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 09:22 AM)djs7685 Wrote: First of all, they could start out 1-2 and still be "fine". Even if they wouldn't be fine in that circumstance, your wild guess of our record after 3 games is hardly an indication of reality. Not really proof of anything for you to say that since you happen to think they're going to start out 1-2 that it means they aren't "fine". That's dumb.

Andy is a decent QB that flashes great play and he gives us the best shot at winning football games right now more so than anyone else available. Who do you think we should replace him with right now? I'm no Andy defender, but seriously, what else is this team supposed to do right now? They've won plenty of games with Andy on the field, so by definition, you're incorrect.

They haven't won a single game that mattered.

I think the Chargers and Ravens are better teams. I also don't like our track record at Oakland. Given that information I can make an educated guess at 1-2. Not to mention we may not have Burfict or Johnson playing.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 09:26 AM)kramer1 Wrote: They haven't won a single game that mattered.

I think the Chargers and Ravens are better teams. I also don't like our track record at Oakland. Given that information I can make an educated guess at 1-2. Not to mention we may not have Burfict or Johnson playing.

And they haven't lost any either....

Aside from Rivers being a better quarterback, I don't think San Diego is better than us.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 09:26 AM)kramer1 Wrote: They haven't won a single game that mattered.

They've won plenty of games that matter. Contrary to popular belief, regular season games DO matter. Does it suck that we've struggled in primetime and the playoffs? Absolutely! I won't deny that. Let's not go too crazy by insinuating that the regular season is irrelevant though. The regular season matters a lot until you're locked for the playoffs.

The Chargers and Ravens may both be better teams, and we may even lose @ Oakland too. We could make an educated guess at 0-3 and still end up making the playoffs and winning the Super Bowl as far as any of us know. Or we may start out 3-0 and end up 3-13, who knows? I do believe the educated guess would be that this team is "fine", as in, they'll win a decent amount of games, look competitive throughout a lot of the year with a couple stinkers mixed in, and then be a huge question mark if they make the playoffs.

The Bengals do have an interesting schedule this year, it looks tough on paper, but who knows if that will actually be the case? We've won 9-11 games each year over the last 4, we haven't lost any main pieces of the puzzle, so why would the educated guess be that we aren't "fine"? People have been throwing out lines like that we're due for a losing season and all of that, I've even been part of that group myself in the past, but it seems like it's safe to put us somewhere between 8 and 11 wins until further notice.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 11:14 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Let's see...Dalton was 6/13 passing.  One was tipped by Green for a pick and one was clearly dropped by Eifert.  That makes him 6-11 on his other throws.  Not much of a sample size if you ask me.  One was clearly a bad throw to Eifert.  How many of those were rushed throws due to pressure?  

My takeaway is that the line was beaten badly.  It didn't change when McCarron came in.  They even got beat for a safety.  The biggest takeaway was the play of the offensive and defensive lines.  Given the way they played it shouldn't really come as a surprise that Dalton had a crap game.  

I agree, that being said I imagine the game would have been much different had AJ caught the excellent pass that hit him right in his hands rather than knock it into the air for a defender to catch and take into the end zone. Andy didn't play great but he wasn't as bad it seemed because the rest of the team pretty much shucked corn all night.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 08:31 AM)djs7685 Wrote: It's not an excuse, it's a fact that over the past decade the Bengals offensive line does not give the quarterback anymore than a three count to make reads with any consistency.

Let's say that excuse is valid for Monday.

[quote='djs7685' pid='50124' dateline='1440588703']
It's not an excuse, it's a fact that over the past decade the Bengals offensive line does not give the quarterback anymore than a three count to make reads with any consistency. On the other hand, this offensive line showed last year that they are an excellent run blocking line.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 10:14 AM)thegimp Wrote: It's not an excuse, it's a fact that over the past decade the Bengals offensive line does not give the quarterback anymore than a three count to make reads with any consistency.   On the other hand, this offensive line showed last year that they are an excellent run blocking line.

Yeah, that's not a fact though.

Do you think there's a reason that Andy threw the ball a few HUNDREDTHS of a second faster on average than other QBs, yet Andy was hit/hurried/sacked dozens less times?

If we're going to sit here and pretend that a tenth of a second or even less will result in such a discrepancy in pressure totals, then I think that's more of a "you" problem than a problem with the people that see that we have a good pass blocking line. They may not be the absolute best in the league, that part can be arguable for sure, but you're flat out lying if you can't admit that they're among the better lines in the NFL. Bodine may be a questionable talent, but the other 4 starters are nothing short of stout linemen.
Reply/Quote