Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BREAKING: Marvin leaving at the end of the season; team caught off guard
Breaking news..Mikey just announced he's hiring some drunken crackhead with 82 convictions to be the next HC citing his willingness to give him his 83rd chance. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 04:19 PM)BengalB Wrote: Must've been MB's bright idea to tell them on game day...

I've not been Marvin's BIGGEST fan but if I'm honest, I'm very worried.

Could see a return to MB exerting control over everything and hiring friends/family into Marvin's spot.

Explains the last draft and this disasterous season.

Maybe he was trying to motivate them to win one for the Gipper, although that isn't his job.
Reply/Quote

I think they will keep Jackson, and I could also see Marvin joining their front office and McCarron still ending up there.
Reply/Quote
[Image: still_idiot.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I can definitely see Marvin landing a GM gig somewhere, and hiring Hue as HC, but Cincy is not the city for them to continue their bromance.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 02:47 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: What owner, other than Mike Brown, would even consider hiring a coach who could very well end up 2-35 in his last 37 games as a head coach, and just 1 win in the last 2 years.

When, in NFL history, has any team hired a head coach with Hue's record over his last 37 games?

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say probably never, but that doesn’t mean it couldn’t work...I do think I remember a former owner of the browns saying his HC would remain with the team the next year only to be fired that offseason. He made some mistakes with the Browns but clearly learned from them and has since won 5 Super Bowls (if you need the history to make you feel better)....I prefer the hire be made on how good of a coach he is. Some candidates get hired because they were in perfect spots and flame out with new teams, some are in terrible spots and could succeed if given half a chance. 

I’m not saying Hue is the best candidate, but I firmly believe he’s the best we have a shot at getting if the Browns move on again.
Reply/Quote
I can totally see Mike firing Marvin before the next game now. It makes sense if it’s going to be an internal replacement. I can see Scrooge getting even for being called out in public too.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 04:29 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:
I think they will keep Jackson, and I could also see Marvin joining their front office and McCarron still ending up there.

I could see that happening. By the results on the field today, looks like Marvin already spent this week getting a jump on scouting college QBs for the Browns rather than coaching the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
Anything short of them hiring an outside coach with a big name and proven track record along with firing EVERY person on the coaching staff currently, will have me turning my attention elsewhere on Sundays.

Mike Brown has a history of taking the easiest least path of resistance. So I would not be surprised one bit to see Guenther or Lazor as the new head coach next year.

I can’t think of one player that has had potential to be great that the coaching staff developed into something great. Our backups wouldn’t make any other teams. It’s not surprising though...in a deal to have infinite job security despite ever actually producing Bengals coaching staff agreed to be paid less than their other NFL counterparts.
Reply/Quote
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Halle lu jah
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 04:43 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I can totally see Mike firing Marvin before the next game now. It makes sense if it’s going to be an internal replacement. I can see Scrooge getting even for being called out in public too.

Mike isn't going to pay Marvin to watch the last two games from his couch.
Reply/Quote
Good news. I guess. Let's see what mediocre 'yes man' MB decides picks up for the next 15 years.
Reply/Quote
Just throwin' this out there; Jim Mora's playoff record is actually better than Marvin's and I think he is available.
Reply/Quote
[Image: bungalizer.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 12:16 PM)Trademark Wrote: Schefter just reported that he’s expected to leave.

**UPDATES**

Apparently assistant coaches were unhappy with how they’ve been treated financially

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/marvin-lewis-reportedly-planning-to-leave-bengals-after-2017-team-caught-off-guard/

Son of Paul gon' Son of Paul. Mellow

Kinda shoots down those folks' opinion that Mike Clown ain't a cheap bastard anymore.  

I have little faith that this franchise will move forward as long as that S.O.B. is in control.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 04:42 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I’m gonna go out on a limb and say probably never, but that doesn’t mean it couldn’t work...I do think I remember a former owner of the browns saying his HC would remain with the team the next year only to be fired that offseason. He made some mistakes with the Browns but clearly learned from them and has since won 5 Super Bowls (if you need the history to make you feel better)....I prefer the hire be made on how good of a coach he is. Some candidates get hired because they were in perfect spots and flame out with new teams, some are in terrible spots and could succeed if given half a chance. 

I’m not saying Hue is the best candidate, but I firmly believe he’s the best we have a shot at getting if the Browns move on again.

Belichick won 7 games twice and had an 11-5 season with the Browns. Sorry brother, that comparison fails because they're not even in the same league as Browns head coaches.
Reply/Quote
I feel it in my gut. It's going to be Darrin Simmons
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 12:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I was one of the very few that didn't want him gone during our playoff seasons; however; back to back losing seasons point to a change needing to be made. It's time to bring in fresh blood. Just be prepared to have a 3rd straight losing season and a team overhaul.

I was also one of the few that wanted him here during the playoff seasons, but I disagree about a third straight losing season.

If we get a head coach hired with enough time to get his coaching staff in order, plan the direction of the team (having a plan for direction..... sounds amazing, doesn't it?), get the players on board as quickly as possible with OTAs (and even just phone calls and light conversations before they're actually allowed to meet in April), improve the line through the draft and FA, there's no reason to think that we can't put together a competitive season next year.

I think that the players come out motivated with new leadership and are excited that the team has actual direction (all that is under the assumption that we make a decent hire at HC).

I'm excited for next season!
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2017, 05:08 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I was also one of the few that wanted him here during the playoff seasons, but I disagree about a third straight losing season.

If we get a head coach hired with enough time to get his coaching staff in order, plan the direction of the team (having a plan for direction..... sounds amazing, doesn't it?), get the players on board as quickly as possible with OTAs (and even just phone calls and light conversations before they're actually allowed to meet in April), improve the line through the draft and FA, there's no reason to think that we can't put together a competitive season next year.

I think that the players come out motivated with new leadership and are excited that the team has actual direction (all that is under the assumption that we make a decent hire at HC).

I'm excited for next season!

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
About the only thing that will be less exciting than the 2018 Bengals will be the 2019 Bengals unless the owner sells the team to the mafia for a dollar and a bag of stale potato chips. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote