Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BREAKING: Tee Higgins Requests Trade
(03-11-2024, 12:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think we all assume Chase will be signed long-term. But, he's waiting for Jefferson to sign a deal. What if Jefferson gets like $38 million a year or some crazy number and Chase wants $40. I just made those numbers up, but it's going to get interesting with the cap going up.

the estimate is he(Chase) resets the market at about 30 mil per year
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 12:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IF Tee's cost was 3 years $71 millionish...he'd be retained. I think he wants way more.

Based on the history with Tee's agent, the hold up is and will remain to be the guaranteed money.

So at this point, someone will make a blockbuster trade offer so crazy that even Mike Brown would accept it

or we'll see Tee in August when the season is about to start

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I got someone’s opinion on this. He’s not talked to anybody on the heels of Tee wanting a trade. But I value his opinion more than 90% of those in the building. Tee wants WR1 money plain and simple. He’s not going to get it from the Bengals. Nor is he gonna earn it as WR2 in free agency playing for the Bengals. His best bet is to get traded and get WR1 money in a long term contract or show he’s a WR1 to get it the following year. It’s a business decision. Isn’t it always? Joey Franchise didn’t take an ultra friendly deal. Also wouldn’t surprise him if Joe Mixon was traded to avoid the roster bonus and get at least something. Joe’s contract w/o the bonus and his pass receiving and ball protection makes him plenty desirable on the trade market.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I’m a Bengals fan. Let’s get everything we can out of this distraction and get to a SB.
Reply/Quote
David Mulugheta gonna Mulugheta.

Tee will play on the tag unless the Bengals are offered at least a 1st round pick for him, or if Mulugheta drops his requirements for more guaranteed money.

And then, if he plays well in 2024, he'll be tagged again unless Mulugheta drops his requirements for more guaranteed money.

Effectively, Tee is on a 2 year, 48 million dollar contract.

Hell, they could theoretically tag him a third time for 31.4 million dollars. That would make his contract essentially a 3 year, 79.8 million dollar contract, with club options after each season. Still a pretty fair market value for Tee considering they get the opt outs after each season.

My recommendation is for Tee to sign the extension.

It's sitting on the table, waiting for you. Pull a TJ Watt and cut this agent's bullshit out.
Reply/Quote
Well this sucks. Of course, all the reasons we want him traded are reasons why other teams would not want him. Just draft a WR.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 11:55 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not only that, many would consider that to be a serious indictment of his personal character.  As in "if he did that to his previous team, how is he going to do our team when he doesn't get his way?"

I don't see it as a character indictment, personally.  The reality of the current situation is, much as people don't want to hear it, Tee Higgins is not a current member of the Bengals.  He's an Unrestricted Free Agent who believes he is worth and can get more money on the open market than the Bengals are offering and the Bengals are using a league rule to limit his options to try to force him into making a decision between a one year deal worth less than he believes he's worth or to not play football.  It's his right to make that decision.  There is no reason for him to act in good faith with a party who is actively trying to limit his income.

Beyond that, we're dealing with a person who at least believes he is in a position to acquire generational wealth for himself and his family.  Players suffer career altering injuries every year, and they fall from being stars to going year to year on small prove it deals.  In extreme cases, a Ryan Shazier type injury happens.  Tee himself literally killed a man on the field of play and had to stand by helpless as medical personnel fought to resuscitate him.  It's easy for people to say "Just go with it for a year and you'll get paid next year" when it's not their money and it's not their health and well being at risk.

I have been pretty vocally against resigning Tee and have been one of the few against even tagging him.  But this is not an indictment of the man's character at all.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 12:53 PM)pally Wrote: Based on the history with Tee's agent, the hold is and will remain to be the guaranteed money.

So at this point someone will make a blockbuster trade offer so crazy that even Mike Brown would accept it

or we'll see Tee in August when the season is about to start

Maybe. He only has to sign the franchise tag by Week 10 in order to get credit for the season and be a FA again next offseason. That was the second week of November last season.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 12:55 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I got someone’s opinion on this. He’s not talked to anybody on the heels of Tee wanting a trade. But I value his opinion more than 90% of those in the building. Tee wants WR1 money plain and simple. He’s not going to get it from the Bengals. Nor is he gonna earn it as WR2 in free agency playing for the Bengals. His best bet is to get traded and get WR1 money in a long term contract or show he’s a WR1 to get it the following year. It’s a business decision. Isn’t it always? Joey Franchise didn’t take an ultra friendly deal. Also wouldn’t surprise him if Joe Mixon was traded to avoid the roster bonus and get at least something. Joe’s contract w/o the bonus and his pass receiving and ball protection makes him plenty desirable on the trade market.

Well, he better hope he lands with a team with a good QB...because A LOT of offensive guys have left the Bengals to 'be the guy' over the years and flopped.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 12:44 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s actually very complicated. He’s not our #1. He’s often injured. He wants too much money. Etc.

Yup

I've pretty much always assumed we were never going to be able to keep Chase, Tee, and JB all long term without having to cut way too much money that needs spent elsewhere. 

There's a part of me that doesn't blame Tee, he wants a long term high dollar contract and he'll probably get it somewhere, good for him. But I don't think we can afford him nor do I think it would be money well spent.

Trade him
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 01:00 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup

I've pretty much always assumed we were never going to be able to keep Chase, Tee, and JB all long term without having to cut way too much money that needs spent elsewhere. 

There's a part of me that doesn't blame Tee, he wants a long term high dollar contract and he'll probably get it somewhere, good for him. But I don't think we can afford him nor do I think it would be money well spent.

Trade him

Yep. There was no way we were going to tie up $110-120 million in 3 players on offense.

Their stats are largely what they are. Maybe they improve 10-20%. But, we'd lose players at other positions.

You just don't see teams win the SB with a top paid QB and 2 WR's.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 12:56 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: David Mulugheta gonna Mulugheta.

Tee will play on the tag unless the Bengals are offered at least a 1st round pick for him, or if Mulugheta drops his requirements for more guaranteed money.

And then, if he plays well in 2024, he'll be tagged again unless Mulugheta drops his requirements for more guaranteed money.

Effectively, Tee is on a 2 year, 48 million dollar contract.

Hell, they could theoretically tag him a third time for 31.4 million dollars. That would make his contract essentially a 3 year, 79.8 million dollar contract, with club options after each season. Still a pretty fair market value for Tee considering they get the opt outs after each season.

My recommendation is for Tee to sign the extension.

It's sitting on the table, waiting for you. Pull a TJ Watt and cut this agent's bullshit out.

Mulugheta got Pittman 46m in guaranteed money, which means he'll be seeking a similar or higher number for Tee. Pretty much eliminates any possibility of an extension with the Bengals. 
Reply/Quote
I do not think this changes much.

His agent is a pr!ck. We knew that. Tee thinks he should make WR1 money coming off a crap season. We knew that.

He isn't gonna get traded unless we get a Godfather offer, which is extremely unlikely. We knew that.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 01:02 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Mulugheta got Pittman 46m in guaranteed money, which means he'll be seeking a similar or higher number for Tee. Pretty much eliminates any possibility of an extension with the Bengals. 

Yep. I wonder what the market for Tee is?

It would have to be a team with no number 1 WR I'd imagine, but they could get desperate. Or a team like the Lions that want to go to the SB.

I always thought the Jaguars would want to reunite him with Lawrence.
Reply/Quote
Still, not a positive development. Kind of damning on the FO if his claims are true.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 11:55 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not only that, many would consider that to be a serious indictment of his personal character.  As in "if he did that to his previous team, how is he going to do our team when he doesn't get his way?"

Many ignorant fans might think that, but this is business, period.  And if people expected a nice quiet FA, with the agent Tee has, then they're just plain dumb.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 12:56 PM)Whatever Wrote: I don't see it as a character indictment, personally.  The reality of the current situation is, much as people don't want to hear it, Tee Higgins is not a current member of the Bengals.  He's an Unrestricted Free Agent who believes he is worth and can get more money on the open market than the Bengals are offering and the Bengals are using a league rule to limit his options to try to force him into making a decision between a one year deal worth less than he believes he's worth or to not play football.  It's his right to make that decision.  There is no reason for him to act in good faith with a party who is actively trying to limit his income.

Beyond that, we're dealing with a person who at least believes he is in a position to acquire generational wealth for himself and his family.  Players suffer career altering injuries every year, and they fall from being stars to going year to year on small prove it deals.  In extreme cases, a Ryan Shazier type injury happens.  Tee himself literally killed a man on the field of play and had to stand by helpless as medical personnel fought to resuscitate him.  It's is for people to say "Just go with it for a year and you'll get paid next year" when it's not their money and it's not their health and well being at risk.

I have been pretty vocally against resigning Tee and have been one of the few against even tagging him.  But this is not an indictment of the man's character at all.

If a player comes out and plays "safe" or half-asses plays because he playing on the franchise tag, that is indeed on his character.  I don't know about your family, but in my house we'd consider that tag amount ($21.8M) to be generational wealth.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 01:02 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Mulugheta got Pittman 46m in guaranteed money, which means he'll be seeking a similar or higher number for Tee. Pretty much eliminates any possibility of an extension with the Bengals. 

Yep.

the frustrating part is I don't know why the Bengals are so afraid of guaranteed that second year.

Like, let's say we signed Tee to a 3 year, 75M dollar contract with a 10M signing bonus and the first two seasons guaranteed. That would be about 53 million guaranteed, with the first two year's base salary guaranteed.

Even if Tee had an absolutely horrific 2024 season filled with injuries and ineffectiveness, the Bengals wouldn't cut him.

So what's the harm in guaranteeing that second year? 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 12:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's a great wideout class, but not every single wideout will be good. Many will be busts or average. That's the trick.

Well of course, but I think the Bengals might be the best in the league at identifying WR talent. I would trust that we’ll find someone good to take over as the #2. Personally I really like Malachi Corley and Ja’lynn Polk.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 12:34 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Gabe Davis running deep, please. 

Love this suggestion. Trade Tee for the highest pick you can get and acquire Davis.
Reply/Quote