Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BREAKING: Tee Higgins Requests Trade
All I can say is that when the board member whose screenname rhymes with Noonerpiece logs onto the board today, he's in for one heck of a surprise.. Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 01:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't know about your family, but in my house we'd consider that tag amount ($21.8M) to be generational wealth.

That $21.8m gets hit with local, state, and federal taxes. 

Sauce Gardner was in the news when he signed his $33.45m rookie deal, and it came out he'd probably only get $17.4m of that after all the various taxes, or 52%.

You need at least $3m over a lifetime for a basic middle class life (which lets be honest, NFL players aren't going to go to a $70k/yr lifestyle) and even that's only quickly increasing with inflation. The ~$13m (we have some less taxes than NY/NJ) that Tee would see out of that isn't enough for his grandchildren to have wealth, so it wouldn't be generational but just a generation.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 01:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If a player comes out and plays "safe" or half-asses plays because he playing on the franchise tag, that is indeed on his character.  I don't know about your family, but in my house we'd consider that tag amount ($21.8M) to be generational wealth.

So you expect the player to give full commitment while the team gives that same player a half-assed one?

The average person in the US with a bachelor's degree earns about $2.5 million during the course of their working life.  $21.8 mil is enough to support eight people at middle class income level, so Higgins, a wife, three kids, mom and dad, and maybe a nice little inheritance left over for the grandkids.  That is not generational wealth.  Thinking like that is the reason why the vast majority of lottery winners wind up going bankrupt.  Not to mention, that income is being taxed in the highest tax bracket instead of a lower one as of it has been steadily accrued over the course of one's life and the agent takes a healthy cut of it, as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 01:21 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That $21.8m gets hit with local, state, and federal taxes. 

Sauce Gardner was in the news when he signed his $33.45m rookie deal, and it came out he'd probably only get $17.4m of that after all the various taxes, or 52%.

You need at least $3m over a lifetime for a basic middle class life (which lets be honest, NFL players aren't going to go to a $70k/yr lifestyle) and even that's only quickly increasing with inflation. The ~$13m (we have some less taxes than NY/NJ) that Tee would see out of that isn't enough for his grandchildren to have wealth, so it wouldn't be generational but just a generation.

It's supply/demand too, right. Some team will give these guys those contracts.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 01:21 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That $21.8m gets hit with local, state, and federal taxes. 

(03-11-2024, 01:45 PM)Whatever Wrote: So you expect the player to give full commitment while the team gives that same player a half-assed one?

The average person in the US with a bachelor's degree earns about $2.5 million during the course of their working life.  $21.8 mil is enough to support eight people at middle class income level, so Higgins, a wife, three kids, mom and dad, and maybe a nice little inheritance left over for the grandkids.  That is not generational wealth.  Thinking like that is the reason why the vast majority of lottery winners wind up going bankrupt.  Not to mention, that income is being taxed in the highest tax bracket instead of a lower one as of it has been steadily accrued over the course of one's life and the agent takes a healthy cut of it, as well.

Guys, I get it.  All I'm saying is that playing on the franchise tag isn't "chump change".  And, I will never be sympathetic to the pains of celebrities and the amount they pay in taxes.  We all have our burdens in life, being a superstar worthy of receiving a franchise tag must be a very heavy stone to drag around..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 01:15 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Love this suggestion. Trade Tee for the highest pick you can get and acquire Davis.

Disappearing Gabe Davis? I’d rather sign Darnell Mooney and/or draft a replacement in round 2 or 3.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 01:45 PM)Whatever Wrote: So you expect the player to give full commitment while the team gives that same player a half-assed one?

Totally disagree with this take.

Tee agrees to thr NFL contract/player rules when he becomes a union member.

He is going to get 100% of his guaranteed money based on the above mentioned agreement & figures.

No one is half assing anything. The only one who is in a position to half ass it is the player. He is guaranteed the money if he just shows up. After that, he is in control of the rest.

Your generational wealth figuring ignores investment opportunity gains from even just basic fund investments over the course of what should be the next 50 years of Tee's life.

That $21million for a starting nest egg would grow to be generational wealth over Tee's life if he just parked it somewhere. No one is spending $21m on an 8 person family without extreme spending of that money in a short period of time.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 01:51 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Disappearing Gabe Davis?  I’d rather sign Darnell Mooney and/or draft a replacement in round 2 or 3.

I'll blame Josh Allen for the games he disappears in and offer Joe Burrow will keep him relevant week-to-week.

I, if course, have nothing to support this take.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 11:38 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Bengals need to give permission to seek a long term deal with other teams. It would increase his value and net us at a minimum a 1st round pick.

I would let Tee's agent know no deal without a minimum 1st round pick in 2024 in return.

The Bengals dont need to give permission because Tee is a free agent and can already talk to other teams about a contract.  If he signs the franchise tag he would be part of the Bengals but right now he is a free agent and can talk to any team he wants to.  He could even sign a contract with another team but that team would have to give up 2 first round draft picks because of the franchise tag.  To avoid giving up 2 first round draft picks other teams would usually negotiate with the Bengals for a better deal but nothing is stopping Tee's agent from talking to other teams
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 01:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Guys, I get it.  All I'm saying is that playing on the franchise tag isn't "chump change".  And, I will never be sympathetic to the pains of celebrities and the amount they pay in taxes.  We all have our burdens in life, being a superstar worthy of receiving a franchise tag must be a very heavy stone to drag around..

You don't need to be sympathetic to the amount of taxes they have to pay, but you should be sympathetic that a player's career and health is very short and fleeting. They are part of a $20b/yr business that will use them up and then move on from them without a second thought so they should get the most money (and the most guaranteed money because it's the only thing you can be sure of) that they possibly can get in the short time they can get it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 11:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Really wish we would have traded him last year.

That would have been the smart move.  They completely botched that one.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 01:14 PM)WhoDeyK Wrote: Well of course, but I think the Bengals might be the best in the league at identifying WR talent. I would trust that we’ll find someone good to take over as the #2. Personally I really like Malachi Corley and Ja’lynn Polk.

Yeah. They were way out in front of everybody on
those Ja'Marr Chase and AJ Green guys.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
1) I have zero problem with what Tee is doing. It’s funny how some talk out of one side of their mouth about how football is a business, until the player makes a business decision in response to the team’s business decision.
2) Trade him for a starting RT. Our #2 WR for your # 2 Tackle. No draft crapshoot to worry about, both teams get a proven, talented, veteran.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
I think this is really just the critical juncture which indicates we just need to move on from Tee. He isn't going to sign some team-friendly deal which alleviates the amount we're spending on WRs. The guy wants to make the bag and wants long-term security. Fair enough.

My opinion was the same at the outset... we're paying Burrow to be the man, and that includes making it work with lesser talent. If he really needs a stupidly stacked WR group, then he isn't the guy we think he is. Signed Burrow, we should also lock Chase in when that comes around, but the rest of the group is going to largely have to be guys that Burrow makes look good. That's pretty normal procedure when you have a Franchise QB on franchise money unfortunately.

With Tee, get the highest realistic return we can get and move forward imo. This is the nature of the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 11:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Really wish we would have traded him last year.

(03-11-2024, 02:08 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: That would have been the smart move.  They completely botched that one.

Hindsight is usually 20/20 fellas. Up until this point there was every indication that Tee wanted to stay in Cincy. So, there was probably some positivity in the organization that a deal could get done. Everyone and his cousin know that the agent is a piece of work, but that's how most agents roll. 

Ts, Nico isn't wrong. Tee is replaceable and this is a great draft to replace him. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 11:28 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Part of me wants to say GTFO. The other part is thankful for what he has done. This is where you shouldn't let your feelings get in the way of business. I'm sure the Bengals will take care of him, but he's not the highest priority on the team right now. We don't want to handcuff our value to just a few players.

If he wants to go ship him out. Getting paid good money to complain don't need the distraction. Missed a few games this year, and they gave him good money so if he still complains trade him away there are a lot of WR in the draft that would love to have Burrow throw them the ball 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 02:08 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: That would have been the smart move.  They completely botched that one.

Well last year they may have gotten better value but in a worse draft class. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 12:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well, he better hope he lands with a team with a good QB...because A LOT of offensive guys have left the Bengals to 'be the guy' over the years and flopped.

Players leaving a QB like Joe need to be smart. You are very right. The agent just cares about the contract.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I don't blame him for being upset, disappointed or pissed that the team hasn't supposedly talk about a long term extension since March last year! One whole year ago.
Reply/Quote
Give Tee his request. An early 2nd round pick for him and I am happy. Would allow us to get his replacement in T'Vondre Sweat
who I don't think will last to our late 2nd rounder.
Reply/Quote