Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
BREAKING: Tee Higgins Requests Trade
(03-11-2024, 02:19 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Hindsight is usually 20/20 fellas.

It's not hindsight if I spent all last offseason saying it.

(03-11-2024, 02:30 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The agent just cares about the contract.

The majority of players also just care about the contract.

Wilkins didn't go to the Raiders to win a SB. Jefferson wouldn't re-sign with the Vikings for a SB. People sign with the Bears, the Patriots, etc.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 02:35 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It's not hindsight if I spent all last offseason saying it.

The majority of players also just care about the contract.

Wilkins didn't go to the Raiders to win a SB. Jefferson wouldn't re-sign with the Vikings for a SB. People sign with the Bears, the Patriots, etc.

The vast majority !!

You hear the "it's not about the money" B.S. But it is always about the money. These guys know what NFL really stands for - Not For Long
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 03:06 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The vast majority !!

You hear the "it's not about the money" B.S. But it is always about the money. These guys know what NFL really stands for - Not For Long

We've seen over and over where guys play well here and leave for more money and are waived a year later.

Happening with Vonn Bell.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 01:52 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Totally disagree with this take.

Tee agrees to thr NFL contract/player rules when he becomes a union member.

He is going to get 100% of his guaranteed money based on the above mentioned agreement & figures.

No one is half assing anything. The only one who is in a position to half ass it is the player. He is guaranteed the money if he just shows up. After that, he is in control of the rest.

Your generational wealth figuring ignores investment opportunity gains from even just basic fund investments over the course of what should be the next 50 years of Tee's life.

That $21million for a starting nest egg would grow to be generational wealth over Tee's life if he just parked it somewhere. No one is spending $21m on an 8 person family without extreme spending of that money in a short period of time.

So then you have zero issues if he doesn't sign the FT until Week 10, as he is not under contract and not getting paid, simply exercising his rights as a player?

For another, I find "he shouldn't half ass because he's getting paid" talk a little funny when, let's face it, most of us are commenting on this while we're at work and half assing our jobs despite getting paid as we do.  

Sure, there's investment potential, but there's also great potential to lose money on investments.  Far better to actually have generational income than to have investment capital to try to turn into generational wealth.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 12:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep.

Door A:
Tee Higgins @ $26 million a year.

Door B:
Trade him for a late 1st and 5th. Or 2nd and 4th.
Have $26 million a year to spend on other positions.

Which door leads to a better team?

Or Door C:
Higgins at $21.8 million and he gives us another 656 yards or less. Pissed

After the last AJ Green contract, I'd prefer we stay away from these huge WR deals.  The Chase contract is more than enough to digest.  With JB throwing the ball, we shouldn't need two WR1's.  Unless we overpaid at QB1, which we will find out come August.

I do like Door B btw, but I think teams are going to be wary of giving up a #1 or high #2 for a WR with reoccurring hamstring issues.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 03:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We've seen over and over where guys play well here and leave for more money and are waived a year later.

Happening with Vonn Bell.

It's also happening with Nick Scott, here. You stay you can get cut 1 year later, you leave you can get 1 year later. You can always be cut 1 year later if you don't get guaranteed money, which Bell got and Scott didn't.

Vonn Bell if/when he gets released he got $13m guaranteed for 1 year and played in the exact same number of playoff games as the Bengals did in 2023. Take the guaranteed money and get paid.

Reply/Quote
I thought Tee was smart enough to stay here and earn as much money as he could.

He'll go somewhere and, unless he's very lucky, he won't have a quarterback of anywhere near Burrow's quality throwing him the ball, nor will he have a receiver as good as Chase opposite him to draw off coverage.

I don't want to go into all that because he wants out, so we don't want him here. Trade him to a team that's not smart enough to realize what I mentioned above and improve the line.

For the love of God, IMPROVE THE LINE!

Receivers are a dime a dozen and, while Tee is good, he's not irreplaceable, so trade him and free up money while also improving at a position of need.
Reply/Quote
The good thing about trading Tee now is the Bengals have some control over where he goes vs when he becomes a free agent. I’m sure, I hope, they gave his agent a list of teams they will not trade him to.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
His trade value drops though knowing he wants out, it's like if you're looking for a new job but you're happy with your current one vs. you're currently unemployed. Leverage is weaker.

A few of us called to trade Tee last year before it started, we know we can't afford him, it was a much more difficult decision because we didn't know Burrow was going to turn into jello.

But yeah if players didn't care about money... Burrow could have left 10 million on the table per year and felt nothing, but didn't. He doesn't trust the organization would have used it the way he wanted, and/or doesn't trust his own health, it's a lot of money for sure, but now he will lose Tee. Can he win a ring without Tee?
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 03:35 PM)michaelsean Wrote: The good thing about trading Tee now is the Bengals have some control over where he goes vs when he becomes a free agent. I’m sure, I hope, they gave his agent a list of teams they will not trade him to.

I don't believe that they will be able to control who the highest bidder is, largely in part because the latest super agent is going to be demanding max value for his guy from whichever team is willing to pony up the dough. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This is all just gamesmanship for Higgins to try to get talks restarted over a long-term deal. He requests a trade, the Bengals say no, Tee signs the franchise tag because he's not going to sit out a year after having a middling season last year. Jonah Williams 2.0.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 04:08 PM)Sled21 Wrote: This is all just gamesmanship for Higgins to try to get talks restarted over a long-term deal. He requests a trade, the Bengals say no, Tee signs the franchise tag because he's not going to sit out a year after having a middling season last year. Jonah Williams 2.0.

You think that they're running a bluff?  Possibly, but I doubt it.  What I do think is more likely happen is that the situation could go stagnant until the draft.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 04:08 PM)Sled21 Wrote: This is all just gamesmanship for Higgins to try to get talks restarted over a long-term deal. He requests a trade, the Bengals say no, Tee signs the franchise tag because he's not going to sit out a year after having a middling season last year. Jonah Williams 2.0.

He only has to sign the franchise tag by Week 10 in order to get credit for the year if he really wants to play hardball.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 04:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't believe that they will be able to control who the highest bidder is, largely in part because the latest super agent is going to be demanding max value for his guy from whichever team is willing to pony up the dough. 

Well yeah then they don’t trade him.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
It's not always about he money. McCaffrey said he expected to be with Carolina his entire career; never requested a trade. Saquon Barkely can't make it through an offseason without complaining about his situation. I'd bet that he'll be bitching about Phili by the end of the year.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals believe they are in the hunt this year and with the added cap room are happy to pay Tee 20 mil this year and go for it. If they release him after the season they will get a comp pic the following year. Why pay him more than 20 mil to play this year? And we can draft a WR. But paying Tee, Chase and Burrow 1/3 of your cap is nuttery.

Tee will show up and play for a contract next year for whoever will pay.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 04:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He only has to sign the franchise tag by Week 10 in order to get credit for the year if he really wants to play hardball.

He might get credit for playing an NFL year but he doesnt get paid for those first 10 weeks he misses so he would be looking at being paid about 9.7 million for the 2024 season instead of 21.8 million
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 04:24 PM)yang Wrote: The Bengals believe they are in the hunt this year and with the added cap room are happy to pay Tee 20 mil this year and go for it.  If they release him after the season they will get a comp pic the following year.  Why pay him more than 20 mil to play this year?  And we can draft a WR.  But paying Tee, Chase and Burrow 1/3 of your cap is nuttery.  

Tee will show up and play for a contract next year for whoever will pay.

he was playing for a contract in 2023.... and well it was a little less than spectatular for most the season
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 03:20 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Or Door C:
Higgins at $21.8 million and he gives us another 656 yards or less. Pissed

After the last AJ Green contract, I'd prefer we stay away from these huge WR deals.  The Chase contract is more than enough to digest.  With JB throwing the ball, we shouldn't need two WR1's.  Unless we overpaid at QB1, which we will find out come August.

I do like Door B btw, but I think teams are going to be wary of giving up a #1 or high #2 for a WR with reoccurring hamstring issues.

Agree with this 1000000%. People still think we in the dalton era and need to put a gabillion weapons around burrow like dalton and completely neglect the trenches or secondary
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2024, 04:31 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: He might get credit for playing an NFL year but he doesnt get paid for those first 10 weeks he misses so he would be looking at being paid about 9.7 million for the 2024 season instead of 21.8 million

True. I am not expecting him to do it, but I am just saying he is allowed to. He's not completely out of options. Then we would have to tag him again next year at $26.2m or let him walk.

My guess is if he isn't traded he shows up for preseason, plays the regular season, but doesn't try to play through any injuries or dings that he would normally do and it's ultimately a mediocre season for him.

Reply/Quote