Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 2019 OL
(05-17-2019, 07:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: They lost a lot of players on Defense, bet we can score some on them.

Have to play disciplined for sure with Russell. Dude is crazy good in and out of the pocket, great presence.

Thought i heard he doesn't have Baldwin anymore either which might hurt them.

They key to beating the Seahawks is simply shutting down the run.  If you force them into a pass-first mentality, that is your best shot.  R. Wilson can move with the best of them, but trust me, at this point in his career he'd rather throw it out of bounds, than take shots int he open field.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 07:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They key to beating the Seahawks is simply shutting down the run.  If you force them into a pass-first mentality, that is your best shot.  R. Wilson can move with the best of them, but trust me, at this point in his career he'd rather throw it out of bounds, than take shots int he open field.

Yes sir, shut down the run you shut down most Offenses.

Praying Billings and Glasgow are healthy opening day, (along with everybody as we all know).

Billings just needs to keep growing into a smarter DT and he should be a beast eventually.

Damn, seems a long time waiting for me with my boy Billings!
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 07:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't get how people say he was bad at Center.  He had some issues early in the season, but once he settled in he was pretty darn good.  You can't be that terrible and also be named to two (2) All-America teams by sports writers.  While playing Center was new to him in 2018, he had already proven his ability with 27 stellar starts at LG.  If he had hung around for another year, he'd likely be lining up at Tackle this fall.

I have said he was not good as a center. Now you have to look at what is relative to that assessment. On many teams he is going to be their best offensive lineman and with his size, strength, and movement is probably going to line up at LT. On many other teams he is going to be considered an outstanding center. However, most teams are not going to have him follow Pat Elflein and Billy Price at the position. Not too mention a guy like Nick Mangold. So while he was a good center he is not a center of the caliber that Buckeye fans have become accustom to.

With that said....I think he is an outstanding young offensive lineman and I sincerely hope that they are not going to limit looking at him as an option at an interior position. I would really like to see him working at the RT position as well. Like I already said I believe it almost hurt him being at a program such as OSU and that if he were at a lesser program would have been seen as an OT.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 02:25 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I do not see Boling being a bench player at this point in his career.

He has looked above average. But maybe some of that is because he was next to ogbuehi and bodine and just the best player on a bad line. Glenn, Boling, Hopkins, Miller, and Hart are making good money on vet contracts. At least two of them will be on the bench. Or if for some terrible reason our last two first rounders are not playing. That could be our starting line
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2019, 09:17 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I have said he was not good as a center. Now you have to look at what is relative to that assessment. On many teams he is going to be their best offensive lineman and with his size, strength, and movement is probably going to line up at LT. On many other teams he is going to be considered an outstanding center. However, most teams are not going to have him follow Pat Elflein and Billy Price at the position. Not too mention a guy like Nick Mangold. So while he was a good center he is not a center of the caliber that Buckeye fans have become accustom to.

With that said....I think he is an outstanding young offensive lineman and I sincerely hope that they are not going to limit looking at him as an option at an interior position. I would really like to see him working at the RT position as well. Like I already said I believe it almost hurt him being at a program such as OSU and that if he were at a lesser program would have been seen as an OT.

My comments weren't point at you, or anyone who takes the time to actually learn about a player before declaring them to be "great" or in this particular instance "pretty terrible at Center".  The only way I could see anyone having the opinion of Jordan being "pretty terrible at Center", is if they were only looking at a couple of early season miscues, and not at his entire season of work.  

Now, I am in NO WAY suggesting or lobbying for Jordan to play Center for the Bengals, as I think he's much more valuable at Guard.  However, I do like that he's got a season of solid experience under his belt at Center, should the need ever arise for him to have to fill in.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2019, 09:34 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: My comments weren't point at you, or anyone who takes the time to actually learn about a player before declaring them to be "great" or in this particular instance "pretty terrible at Center".  The only way I could see anyone having the opinion of Jordan being "pretty terrible at Center", is if they were only looking at a couple of early season miscues, and not at his entire season of work.  

Now, I am in NO WAY suggesting or lobbying for Jordan to play Center for the Bengals, as I think he's much more valuable at Guard.  However, I do like that he's got a season of solid experience under his belt at Center, should the need ever arise for him to have to fill in.

Jordan slid to the 4th round for a reason. He is a lot like Wren, talented enough to be a solid to very good NFL starter, but raw. These guys can make or break a draft. The hits can erase a bad miss in rounds 1 or 2. Jordan's versatility is also important. It is a huge plus to have a back up or starter who can play all 3 OL positions in a pinch.

I like his pro style body with a lot of room to grow. I think with patience, he will be a very good OL in next 3 years.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2019, 09:50 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Jordan slid to the 4th round for a reason. He is a lot like Wren, talented enough to be a solid to very good NFL starter, but raw. These guys can make or break a draft. The hits can erase a bad miss in rounds 1 or 2. Jordan's versatility is also important. It is a huge plus to have a back up or starter who can play all 3 OL positions in a pinch.

I like his pro style body with a lot of room to grow. I think with patience, he will be a very good OL in next 3 years.

He didn't "slide" anywhere.  Everything I've read had him graded as day 2 to early day 3 prospect.  There were just a lot of good interior OL in this draft class.  While the college game hasn't been producing Tackles at the rate that they used to, the quality of interior OL has remained steady or even improved a bit.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2019, 10:01 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He didn't "slide" anywhere.  Everything I've read had him graded as day 2 to early day 3 prospect.  There were just a lot of good interior OL in this draft class.  While the college game hasn't been producing Tackles at the rate that they used to, the quality of interior OL has remained steady or even improved a bit.

Who pissed in your Wheaties?

He was not drafted until round 4 so lots of teams passed over him. I could care less about rankings, they are almost useless after top 50 players as  crap shoot at that point. Now if I could see each NFL team's board prior to a draft, then that would be worthwhile when discussing rankings.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2019, 07:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: They lost a lot of players on Defense, bet we can score some on them.

Have to play disciplined for sure with Russell. Dude is crazy good in and out of the pocket, great presence.

Thought i heard he doesn't have Baldwin anymore either which might hurt them.

Good point.....Baldwin was forced to retire due to injuries.

If the Bengals could pull off that opening day win....Well, I think the ZT Bus would get a lot of passengers.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2019, 10:59 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good point.....Baldwin was forced to retire due to injuries.

If the Bengals could pull off that opening day win....Well, I think the ZT Bus would get a lot of passengers.

That’s fine as long as someone saves my seat when I have to go take a leak.

Reply/Quote
It'll undoubtedly be Perkins, Hart, Taylor, Redmond and Lundblade.. Everyone else will sit on the bench the rest of the season so we can get the number 1 over all pick next season.. 
You don't think so? I'm shocked! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2019, 11:28 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: That’s fine as long as someone saves my seat when I have to go take a leak.

Deal  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2019, 09:34 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: My comments weren't point at you, or anyone who takes the time to actually learn about a player before declaring them to be "great" or in this particular instance "pretty terrible at Center".  The only way I could see anyone having the opinion of Jordan being "pretty terrible at Center", is if they were only looking at a couple of early season miscues, and not at his entire season of work.  

Oh I know you weren't. I just wanted to admit that I was one of them calling him a terrible center and explain my reasoning for it. It's all good I know you were not pointing out anyone in particular.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2019, 09:50 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Jordan slid to the 4th round for a reason. He is a lot like Wren, talented enough to be a solid to very good NFL starter, but raw. These guys can make or break a draft. The hits can erase a bad miss in rounds 1 or 2. Jordan's versatility is also important. It is a huge plus to have a back up or starter who can play all 3 OL positions in a pinch.

I have to agree with Sunset in that he did not slide but actually went in the area that most were projecting him to go.

Now I do feel he had the potential to go higher and I believe he would have had he played for another program because as I stated before he would more than likely have played an OT position at another program with his size, length, strength, and movement combination. At any rate I am thankful the Bengals got him and I do believe he develops into a very good lineman.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2019, 08:27 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I have to agree with Sunset in that he did not slide but actually went in the area that most were projecting him to go.

Now I do feel he had the potential to go higher and I believe he would have had he played for another program because as I stated before he would more than likely have played an OT position at another program with his size, length, strength, and movement combination. At any rate I am thankful the Bengals got him and I do believe he develops into a very good lineman.

I think i read he is the youngest player on our team right now. I love that we went up and got him. If we end up getting a pair of 10 year tackles from this draft in Jonah and MJ... Sure would be nice
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2019, 10:27 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I think i read he is the youngest player on our team right now.

I think you did read that.  I think that I also read that he was the first true-freshman to start on OL at OSU, since Orlando Pace.  I believe that he's only 20, which means he likely still has a couple of years of physical growth, before he's maxed out on size.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Apparently, his move to left guard is a permanent thing. What that means for Boling is still up in the air. Boling was on the rehab field today so he didn't line up anywhere

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Looks like JW @LT AND Glenn @ LG

More than just today, rappaport says 73 wants to be LT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2019, 06:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What other rookie in this camp would even line up at LT?

Obviously every O-lineman wants to play LT.  That is where all the money is.  Remember when the Bengals were desperate for an OG but Anthony Collins decided he would rather sit the bench as a LT than start at OG?  That decision ended up working out well for him.  He got paid in free agency.

As for Williams, let's wait and see where he lines up when the whole team is present.

I really don't care who they play where, but Williams better be starting somewhere.  My prediction is that we see guys moving around a lot the first week or so of training camp.  It seems like we have a lot of options.  But they need to make the decision fairly early so the first unit can get used to working together.

Well so far they have Jonah again at LT and have Glenn playing LG
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2019, 03:20 PM)pally Wrote: Apparently, his move to left guard is a permanent thing.  What that means for Boling is still up in the air

I mentioned Clint Boling could be he surprise cut/trade candidate a while back. I got to wonder if he and Boling don't compete with the loser seeing the door. everyone will say RT, but it really seems like they want to get young. Could be interesting to watch.
Reply/Quote