Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals 2019 OL
Boling rehabbing an undisclosed injury means Bobby Hart is still the RT at the moment.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I would like to think there will be multiple combinations in the coming months. The only way to find the best line will be by testing everyone on the roster. The first day doesn't mean squat when there is so much that can happen between now and the first game.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 08:18 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: If my memory serves me, Glenn has played RT in the NFL before. He didn't look good there. 
I've seen good discussion on whether or not a lineman should be able to seamlessly transition to the other side or not. I don't have all of the pertinent information available to explain why, I just have the memory of Glenn not looking good on the right side. 

Glenn did play LG at Georgia with Boling playing LT next to him, so it's not a position Glenn doesn't know.

But, the idea of going into the year with Hart as the starting RT just doesn't quite sit right somehow. 

Reply/Quote
This is about the 4th thread on Williams at LT.
Reply/Quote
The bad thing is that they will probably start Hart at RT. They will have to see him fall on his face before they admit that they shouldn’t have resigned him and guess what??? To the detriment of the team, he will. They start out every year with some stupid ass personnel decision that every fan notices but the team doesn’t. It’s the same old song, seen it many times.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 08:13 PM)spazz70 Wrote: I know it is just OTAs and they say they are experimenting with the OL and putting Williams at LT.  What I do not understand is why they would line up Glenn at LG.  Boling is our LG and has been for years.  IF Williams wins the LT spot then I would think that Glenn would go to  RT and Boling back to LG.  If that were the case then why would you not have Glenn line up at RT?  Were they just looking for Glenn's experience lining him up next to Williams to help him out?  I personally would not mind seeing one of the OLs listed below on opening day.

Williams/Boling/Price/Miller/Glenn

Williams/Glenn/Price/Miller/Boling

Glenn/Boling/Price/Miller/Williams

I prefer the first one as I think that Glenn on the right side would be a road grader....the guy is a monster.

It could be a number of different things.  

Glenn simply may not be comfortable taking snaps on the right side.  Hell, Whit talked about how hard it would be to move there after the Og/Fisher draft and he's arguably a HoF LT.  Not everyone can just reverse their technique like that.  

We also all saw Glenn struggle with outside speed rushers last year.  They could simply be kicking him inside to cover up that weakness.  

While Boling is technically sound, he's not the most physical drive blocker in the run game and sometimes gets blown off the LoS in pass protection.  Inside pressure kills Dalton, but he's shown he can step up and escape outside pressure if the pocket doesn't collapse.  The game plan may be to put the biggest uglies inside to ensure a good pocket for Dalton to work from.  If Jonah Williams is as advertised at LT and Glenn, Price, and Miller can secure the pocket, then they're free to use the TE's and RB's to help Hart/Boling at RT.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 09:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This is about the 4th thread on Williams at LT.

Right? Check the entire first page or two people!

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 08:13 PM)spazz70 Wrote: I know it is just OTAs and they say they are experimenting with the OL and putting Williams at LT.  What I do not understand is why they would line up Glenn at LG.  Boling is our LG and has been for years.  IF Williams wins the LT spot then I would think that Glenn would go to  RT and Boling back to LG.  If that were the case then why would you not have Glenn line up at RT?  Were they just looking for Glenn's experience lining him up next to Williams to help him out?  I personally would not mind seeing one of the OLs listed below on opening day.

Williams/Boling/Price/Miller/Glenn

Williams/Glenn/Price/Miller/Boling

Glenn/Boling/Price/Miller/Williams

I prefer the first one as I think that Glenn on the right side would be a road grader....the guy is a monster.

Yes under Marvin, Boling has been the LG for years.   When was last time Bengals had a winning record ?  When was last time Bengals won a play-off game ?   Out with the old and in with the new in NEW DEY.   Not Who Dey because everybody has been beating Dem' Bengals.   NEW DEY or NEW DAY. 

I could care less who plays where on the O-Line just as long as they BLOCK, which is something Bengals haven't done in a long, long time.  

In practices the New Coach is taking a good hard look at Williams at LT because he liked what he saw in rookie practices.  He is giving Glenn snaps at LT also, nothing is set in stone yet.  It's just many assumed Glenn at LT and Williams at RT, and we are finding out the New Coach never said that.  We have to get use to it that the Old Coach is gone and the New Coach is just starting.  I say, bring on NEW DEY. 

Again, from sidelines AJ Green liked the first practices and says with Taylors system the sky is the limit.  Taylor has these practices going fast and furious we are told.  He wants the Execution of plays to step way up.  He likes what he has seen of some D players.  

My post before was not of LT, though it may have looked that way.  My post was on THE PRACTICES.  I'm sick and tired of reading posts about 2018, 2005, what stats people have looked at on 2019.  I don't care about any of that.  I do care about the practices On The Field NOW in 2019.  That is where the games will be Won, On The Field, not in a computer print out sheet.  On The Field the word is the Practices are fast and furious and AJ Green likes what he sees. The New Coach is shaking things up.  It's a new day in NEW DEY. 

I've been saying on here that there is no more Marvin Favorites. Marvin Is Gone. Ancient History. Stop talking 2018. Throw 2018 in the garbage recycle bin and hit delete. This is a New Coach for first time since 2003. All players including Boling must show this coach why they belong on this team. What players did under Marvin doesn't mean Jack. All the players have to step up and get with the New Coachs program. Considering Bengals have worst play-off record in NFL, I'm all in on NEW DEY. In these practices, let these old and new players show they are either the solution or the problem. If they are the solution, keep them. If they are the problem, fire them. It's a NEW DEY.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2019, 09:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This is about the 4th thread on Williams at LT.

We need more. I hear he might start at left tackle.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 02:18 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: We need more.  I hear he might start at left tackle.

I really hope that this happens each and every time there is a line shift - or even a hint of a line shift for that matter.

On a serious note, I really hope that Boling's injury is nothing severe.  I had a flashback to what happened with Eric Steinback many moons ago: he had back problems, wasn't resigned, and was out of the league soon after.
Reply/Quote
Jonah, Glenn, Price, Miller, Hart

Boling, MJ, Hopkins, Taylor

We may only keep 9 OL. It was unanimously decided the OL was a major issue for our recent shit seasons. Well 7 of the guys that will probably make the roster at that spot were added in the last 2 years. 3 of them technically came from trades Glenn Price and MJ. 2 free agents Miller and Hart which is rare around here. And the #1 OL in his class.

A million bucks says this newly attempted fix works out better than the Bodine Ogbuehi Fisher era.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 04:00 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I really hope that this happens each and every time there is a line shift - or even a hint of a line shift for that matter.

On a serious note, I really hope that Boling's injury is nothing severe.  I had a flashback to what happened with Eric Steinback many moons ago: he had back problems, wasn't resigned, and was out of the league soon after.

Well Steinbach went to the Browns from 2007-2011. That is effectively out of the league.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 06:59 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Jonah, Glenn, Price, Miller, Hart

We may only keep 9 OL. It was unanimously decided the OL was a major issue for our recent shit seasons. Well 7 of the guys that will probably make the roster at that spot were added in the last 2 years. 3 of them technically came from trades Glenn Price and MJ. 2 free agents Miller and Hart which is rare around here. And the #1 OL in his class.

A million bucks says this newly attempted fix works out better than the Bodine Ogbuehi Fisher era.

Our best offensive line:

Hart/Glenn/Price/Williams/Hart

We clone Hart to play both Tackle spots...except we reverse some of the genes so he already knows how to play LT also. Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 06:59 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Jonah, Glenn, Price, Miller, Hart

If only we drafted the best blocking TE in the draft to help out Hart on the right side...

Oh wait, we did? Gee, it's almost like the Bengals had a plan or something.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 10:28 AM)NKURyan Wrote: If only we drafted the best blocking TE in the draft to help out Hart on the right side...

Oh wait, we did? Gee, it's almost like the Bengals had a plan or something.

So we need to put another player on the field in a blocking role to help a bad Tackle?

That isn't a good move by any stretch. It basically puts a 1-dimensional weapon on the field and compounds the Hart signing by wasting a draft pick...IF that was there thought process.

To use a 2nd Round pick on Sample, they should think that he was underutilized in the passing game in college and that he will be a better pass catcher in the Pro's.

IF the truly drafted him to help Hart...then they should have just drafted another OT in the 2nd Round.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 10:34 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So we need to put another player on the field in a blocking role to help a bad Tackle?

That isn't a good move by any stretch. It basically puts a 1-dimensional weapon on the field and compounds the Hart signing by wasting a draft pick...IF that was there thought process.

To use a 2nd Round pick on Sample, they should think that he was underutilized in the passing game in college and that he will be a better pass catcher in the Pro's.

IF the truly drafted him to help Hart...then they should have just drafted another OT in the 2nd Round.

What IF, they really like Hart as a run blocker, and intend to use Sample to chip the DE, before breaking off to a dump route?  Sometimes the best way to slow up a pass rusher is to run and throw right at him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 10:47 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What IF, they really like Hart as a run blocker, and intend to use Sample to chip the DE, before breaking off to a dump route?  Sometimes the best way to slow up a pass rusher is to run and throw right at him.

I think it's easier for me to tolerate the Hart signing if it's as a backup. IF they signed him to be a starter, it gets tougher. Especially when they could have just went: Williams/Miller/Price/Boling/Glenn. Glenn as a Tackle is soo much better than Hart.

It's hard for me to think that they moved Glenn to Guard to START Hart.

Yeah he's not a bad run blocker. But, he gave up 10 sacks this past year.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 11:06 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think it's easier for me to tolerate the Hart signing if it's as a backup. IF they signed him to be a starter, it gets tougher. Especially when they could have just went: Williams/Miller/Price/Boling/Glenn. Glenn as a Tackle is soo much better than Hart.

It's hard for me to think that they moved Glenn to Guard to START Hart.

Yeah he's not a bad run blocker. But, he gave up 10 sacks this past year.

While that may not be any of ours dream scenario, I think it is likely what's going to happen.  Looking back, every time the staff mentions Hart, its always with positive, upbeat rhetoric.  Fact is, they like him.  They didn't hesitate to sign him to a nice deal, and have spoken of him in positive terms.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2019, 10:34 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So we need to put another player on the field in a blocking role to help a bad Tackle?

As pointed out by SunsetBengal above, having him help pass block doesn't mean he has to block for the entire duration of the play. Look for him to do a lot of blocking and releasing for short passes, right up to the point in the game where it sets him up perfectly to surprise the defense and go deeper.

Plus there's, you know, run blocking. Wasn't Mixon's yardage to the right side of the line noticeably worse than to the left? Sample helps with that as well.

You act like having an extra blocker on the field is an awful idea that completely hamstrings the offense... worked just fine in 2009, and that was with an extra tackle out there who was the complete opposite of a receiving threat. Put some extra blockers out there and run over all of these defenses who want to go nickel and dime, just like the Patriots did against the Chargers last year. Bonus points - that even helps out your defense!

And fwiw, they *were* going to draft another OT in the 2nd round. They just barely missed out. This is a pretty good backup plan because it instantly upgrades blocking AND gets you another TE that you needed AND got you an extra draft pick that helped free you to move up later in the draft.
Reply/Quote
Bengals sign OT Justin Evans -23, 6'5", 310lbs, South Carolina St. Signed last year by the Ravens as an UDFA he spent the season on Washington and then Arizona's PS. Arizona released him earlier this month

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote